Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Well, on the plus side, it might stop the flooding that happens in the control rooms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
NTSB calling for an upgrade to the type of cars used to haul crude. Either improve the cars used now or use classes of cars normally used to haul more dangerous materials.
http://www.ntsb.gov/news/2014/140123.html

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

B4Ctom1 posted:

NTSB calling for an upgrade to the type of cars used to haul crude. Either improve the cars used now or use classes of cars normally used to haul more dangerous materials.
http://www.ntsb.gov/news/2014/140123.html

When I was at HazMat Sentinel, the instructors were saying that the AAR tank car committee was going to do that anyways.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!

ijustam posted:

What do the train engineers do if there's no signal? Just... stop and phone it in? Or do you have to crawl along at 5mph, communicating with dispatch about block activity?

This is a depends question. It depends on the type of signal and the operating regulations of the railway.

Generally signals are divided into two types, stop & stay signals and stop & proceed signals. Stop and stay signals require the driver to seek permission from train control before proceeding past a signal at stop, this requires paperwork to be filled out etc.

Stop & proceed signals mean the driver can proceed past the signal after being stopped for a period of time, they can then travel at reduced speed to they sight the next permissive aspect. Automatic signals providing following movements usually of the stop and proceed type.

Also the that signalling room is mega hosed, it makes me laugh . I do not envy the technicians who have to fix that.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

No Pun Intended posted:

Also the that signalling room is mega hosed, it makes me laugh . I do not envy the technicians who have to fix that.

Already fixed and cleaned up, someone remembered that you can add sugar to concrete and stop it hardening, after which they just dug it out and wiped everything down.

e: cleaned up room (courtesy of the Independent):

And the story:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...ng-9082206.html

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
That's really good. I didn't expect it to clean up so easily.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

I did not know you could do that. Well saved lads! The whole situation is gonna get a laugh at work tomorrow though.

All those relays are probably new though, ouch.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

SybilVimes posted:

Already fixed and cleaned up, someone remembered that you can add sugar to concrete and stop it hardening, after which they just dug it out and wiped everything down.

That's something I am going to file in the ol' brain box for future diasaster planning.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

ijustam posted:

What do the train engineers do if there's no signal? Just... stop and phone it in? Or do you have to crawl along at 5mph, communicating with dispatch about block activity?

Just happened on Metro North a few days ago: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/metro-north-power-outage-forced-50-trains-stop-thursday-due-human-error-article-1.1590344

quote:

The technicians unplugged a unit that supplied power to computers controlling train signals remotely from Grand Central Terminal so they could replace the equipment. But they didn’t check to ensure that a second power supply unit was fully connected to keep the computers running, officials said.

That “destabilized” the power supply system and required dispatchers to direct trains to inch toward the nearest station or safe juncture — and wait. Riders were stuck on trains or at stations for two hours before the railroad slowly got back on track.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

:getin:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/14488898@N02/12175137956/

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

I'm not sure how I feel about this existing.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

G scale owns because of that. They can stand a lot of abuse.

I remember a video of an LGB train plunging into water and being able to work just fine afterward. They're almost invincible.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

CHOO CHOO!

Stolen from the gif thread.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Shays are so cool. There's one at Fort Steele in BC, I used to ride a car it pulled all the time when I was a kid, but it's been broken / undergoing repairs for years :(

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I've been on that train. We used to camp near there.

Also here is a train I saw about a week ago:

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Slung Blade posted:

Shays are so cool. There's one at Fort Steele in BC, I used to ride a car it pulled all the time when I was a kid, but it's been broken / undergoing repairs for years :(
The Mount Rainier Scenic Railroad has all 3 types of geared locomotives and it's awesome seeing all 3 being used. The Heisler is the fastest out of the 3.

ctishman
Apr 26, 2005

Oh Giraffe you're havin' a laugh!
Interesting series of Youtube videos I stumbled upon. It's a BBC TV series, I think. Extreme Railways. Sort of like Jeremy Clarkson's condescending railfan brother travels the world, riding on broke-rear end, dangerous track. Fun stuff to watch, particularly if you think Amtrak is bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xrH6cuoXn4

ctishman fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Jan 30, 2014

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
An interesting thread to read through! I don't work on a railroad, nor am I a railfan, but I like learning about them. One thing that I was reading about recently was the Mark Twain Zephyr, which featured four units mounted on only 5 trucks, which saved money and weight but made for some interesting problems with turn-arounds. If you really want it, it's for sale, along with a lot of other interesting stock here. Question: do train tracks follow the usual highway practice of driving with your right hand toward the outside of the tracks, or is there any convention at all? Also: I've been to the B&O Museum in Baltimore a number of times and enjoyed it. Is Steamtown like that and worth going to see?

Pigsfeet on Rye fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jan 31, 2014

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

ctishman posted:

Sort of like Jeremy Clarkson's condescending railfan brother travels the world, riding on broke-rear end, dangerous track. Fun stuff to watch, particularly if you think Amtrak is bad.

Just watched all 3 of the episodes, really like this show. Thanks for posting it! Hope they do some more.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Question: do train tracks follow the usual highway practice of driving with your right hand toward the outside of the tracks, or is there any convention at all?

Since trains run under the authority of a central dispatch, there isn't really a need for lane convention in double track areas though the FRA does stipulate that trains run on the right side track. Exceptions would be passing sidings, upcoming industry sidings on the left, passing other traffic, avoiding slow orders, or tracks blocked off for maintenance/inspection. The engineer's controls are on the right side of the cab, if that was part of your question.

Tracks are identified as track 1, track 2, track 3 etc. from the north track -> south track and the east track -> west track. Note that this follows "timetable north" and "timetable east" and not geographical north or east, as tracks will snake back, forth, and sometimes up and over each other like they do here and here. This is why it's extremely vital to be qualified on your territory before you're allowed to operate anything on it, you want to know when and where to expect your crossings, signals, crossovers, and you sure as hell wouldn't want to set a maintenance vehicle down on the wrong track.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
For what it's worth, from watching the overhead shots in Great British Railway Journeys, on double track sections, the train tends to drive on the left.

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8

FISHMANPET posted:

For what it's worth, from watching the overhead shots in Great British Railway Journeys, on double track sections, the train tends to drive on the left.

Seems to me that it's pretty similar to the road setup. Great Britain, Australia etc are on the left, while the US enjoys being different

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Hyperriker posted:

Seems to me that it's pretty similar to the road setup. Great Britain, Australia etc are on the left, while the US enjoys being different

Unlike units of measure, we're with the majority on this one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Countries_driving_on_the_left_or_right.svg

It's basically the Brits and places that were under British influence when cars became popular that drive on left side of the road. 90% of road miles in the world match the US.

Strawberry
Jul 20, 2005

here is no why
Trains follow a current of traffic in double track territory, and in multiple main track territory trains run on either track in both directions. In one of my timetables there is double track and it specifies that trains keep to the right unless otherwise instructed, and 2 main track territory runs them in either direction.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 23, 2021

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

wolrah posted:

Unlike units of measure, we're with the majority on this one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Countries_driving_on_the_left_or_right.svg

It's basically the Brits and places that were under British influence when cars became popular that drive on left side of the road. 90% of road miles in the world match the US.

It's basically, look at all these places that can't high-five each other while driving unless it's two lefties.

vains
May 26, 2004

lmao fuckkkkkkkkkkk

Strawberry
Jul 20, 2005

here is no why
I think I've got till 2045 :woop:

Guys who hired on when they were 18 have to work for 42 years!

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.

jamal posted:

Also here is a train I saw about a week ago:

http://www.nmrailrunner.com/

It's a decent piece of public transportation for central NM.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
2037 till I pull the pin. 37 years of service when I am done, but barring any health issues, I will most likely stick around till 2040 to get an even 40 years of service in. Not really a money issue, more of a "hey I worked at the same place for 40 years".

vains
May 26, 2004

BrokenKnucklez posted:

2037 till I pull the pin. 37 years of service when I am done, but barring any health issues, I will most likely stick around till 2040 to get an even 40 years of service in. Not really a money issue, more of a "hey I worked at the same place for 40 years".

Yeah, right. You'll keep working because either
(1) You're divorced because of the railroad and its your only chance for regular human interaction.
(2) You've got some cakeass job that doesn't do any actual work. You come in, drink coffee, and read the newspaper.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

Yeah, right. You'll keep working because either
(1) You're divorced because of the railroad and its your only chance for regular human interaction.
(2) You've got some cakeass job that doesn't do any actual work. You come in, drink coffee, and read the newspaper.

Jokes on you I'm already divorced :v: current girl is from a railroad family. And I do have a cake job.

vains
May 26, 2004

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Jokes on you I'm already divorced :v: current girl is from a railroad family. And I do have a cake job.

Then you're all set to work until you die of a massive heart attack shoving a cut of cars. Your spasming body jams the throttle into 8 and derails your shove. A final 'gently caress you' to management, OSHA free days reset and a human factor derailment.

vains fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Feb 4, 2014

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

This is an interesting idea for a HRV. No idea about it other than I found a picture on the internet.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Then you're all set to work until you die of a massive heart attack shoving a cut of cars. Your spasaming body jams the throttle into 8 and derails your shove. A final 'gently caress you' to management, OSHA free days reset and a human factor derailment.

Ooohh. That sounds like the way to go.

But I'm a dispatcher now. The worst that happens is I get hit by a bus crossing the street. Any one who says this job is stressful is not doing it right. I've learned to just give out a bunch of warrants so every train has all the right meets and then go out in the hallway, post on here or screw off for about 3 hours while all the trains are doing their thing.

Edit: if you are MOW, I'll tell you after 2 and I mean after 2, unless I know you are fast. Then its alright did you see x train by yeah here get out and work for 1 hour, 1 by then another hour of work time. Until you screw me, then your not getting out till the parade of trains is by.

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Feb 4, 2014

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

No Pun Intended posted:

This is an interesting idea for a HRV. No idea about it other than I found a picture on the internet.

Reminds me of a UPS truck.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Question: do train tracks follow the usual highway practice of driving with your right hand toward the outside of the tracks, or is there any convention at all? Also: I've been to the B&O Museum in Baltimore a number of times and enjoyed it. Is Steamtown like that and worth going to see?

As for the right or left, for the most part US railroads followed highway practice with the exception of the Chicago Northwestern, which ran left handed for some reason.

Steamtown is pretty cool and has some neat stuff, as well as a working shortline right next to it. The Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania in Strasburg is also a really cool place for vintage equipment.

Then you're all set to work until you die of a massive heart attack shoving a cut of cars. Your spasming body jams the throttle into 8 and derails your shove. A final 'gently caress you' to management, OSHA free days reset and a human factor derailment.

As Boo Radley waves you on.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Khl-C4Izn3Y&t=632s

jadebullet fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Feb 5, 2014

vains
May 26, 2004

bytebark posted:

Goons employed with the railroad: Do you know if the FRA (or any other governing body) has any specific rule prohibiting the hiring and/or continued employment of individuals with felony drug convictions? I know the railroads do a pretty good job of filtering out candidates like that through their own hiring processes but am curious if there's actually a rule somewhere from the feds saying "no, you cannot hire this person with a felony drug/traffic/etc conviction."

(no, I am not a felon trying to hire on with the railroad...)

http://cfr.regstoday.com/49cfr242.aspx#49_CFR_242p111

Not exactly what you're looking for but this is the Code of Federal Regulations chapter about conductor certification.

vains fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Feb 5, 2014

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

jadebullet posted:

As for the right or left, for the most part US railroads followed highway practice with the exception of the Chicago Northwestern, which ran left handed for some reason.

The claim is that when they built the tracks for single main, the stations were on the north side of the tracks. When the second mainline was put in, instead of relocating tracks or depots, and the logic that more people were going to Chicago than coming back, it was easier to signal the railway that way.

This practice was used all the way up till 2008 because there were parts of the railroad that were still 9.14/9.15 (current of traffic) territory, and the signal huts were set up with this old system (from the 1920ish) still in service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axeman Jim
Nov 21, 2010

The Canadians replied that they would rather ride a moose.
This is the sea wall at Dawlish, some of the best-looking railway in the world and a great place to take a holiday if you like railways. It was built by Brunel and originally designed for pneumatic operation, hence it was built by the shore to avid any gradients.

After a week of ferocious storms, this is what it now looks like:

The only remaining railway to Cornwall (after two other routes were closed in the 1960s) has now been washed out and about 700,000 people no longer have a rail link to London. A couple of years ago, a proposal was raised to re-open one of the other routes (about half of which still exists as a heritage line), but it was deemed "too expensive" at £100 million. Well you engineers out there might want to hazard a guess of what the repair bill at Dawlish will be, and it seems odd to be spending 20 Billion on a high-speed line to Birmingham when 100m to build a line to the South West that won't get closed every time the wind picks up is "too expensive." But hey, British Railway planning.