Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
The barrier has to be to lock something in. It's also why doorman is hiding - he could be used by whatever is imprisoned there to escape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
The EPA finally forced the Ghostbusters to be environmentally friendly. This was their solution.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Brannock posted:

Pretty much everything is pointing towards Something being contained in Mayview, yeah. I would have laid bets on it being Isaac's spirit (explaining why Spender wants to keep him somewhat hidden and out of the loop) if not for Spender mentioning in this very comic that Isaac has been outside Mayview before.

I don't think Isaac's spirit is being contained in Mayview, but I do wonder if Spender isn't concerned about Isaac's spirit in a different sense than is immediately obvious. What if he's trying to keep Isaac away from his organization because said organization might be "concerned" about the particular spirit in him? Not enough substance to form anything concrete yet, but given the lack of trust Spender has in his own organization I don't think he's keeping Isaac away out of loyalty to group secrecy per se. I feel like there's gotta be some other angle.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

If they were trying to keep Isaac's spirit in Mayview I don't believe they'd be okay with him taking a train through the barrier.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Besides that, according to that rabbit spirit the storm god might have entered Mayview through the train, which would be where Spender found and destroyed it. Given that it had to go through the barrier to enter Mayview at all, I highly doubt the barrier exists to contain it.

Tangent from that, it still amuses me that the apparent strongest character in the comic is such a huge dork. Oh Spender, you're so great.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
No, I think if Isaac's spirit was "...the biggest and baddest. SINGULAR. THE spirit. The strongest one." Isaac wouldn't be running around as freely as he is.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I'm more inclined to believe it is Magnet Snake, if it is any of the spirits we've seen so far.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Same, especially since he mentioned "storm gods" amongst the list of "arrogant dead".

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

SpaceViking posted:

Presumably to keep nasties like Forgedude from crossing the border and taking our jobscausing havoc.

Given that Mayview is Spirit central with scary giant Worms and Storm Gods it's much more likely they're keeping poo poo in, not out.

Mage Ham
Apr 28, 2010

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Given that Mayview is Spirit central with scary giant Worms and Storm Gods it's much more likely they're keeping poo poo in, not out.

Following along from this, it's possible that something about Mayview makes it more likely to create/strengthen/nurture ghosts and spirits.
In that case, the barrier isn't meant to contain a single spirit, but the general weirdness and spirit density of the town itself, so it doesn't flood the whole countryside with spectral phenomena.

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012

It turns out Zack was a little late to the punch though

http://firstnamezacklastnamemorrison.tumblr.com/post/74465812479/

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Goddammit Zack, why are you so fantastic.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Goddammit Zack, why are you so fantastic.

He's lying though because his best pun is the payoff to this beautiful thing.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's apparently critical that they eject all spirits from the Ghost Train. Are they that rare outside of Mayview?

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

MikeJF posted:

It's apparently critical that they eject all spirits from the Ghost Train. Are they that rare outside of Mayview?

I'd guess not or the organisation Spender is a part of would have no business being so big. Like, if it was a strictly Mayview phenomena, then all those agents would have to be in and around Mayview and we know they're not.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
In fact apparently Mayview is "the boonies". Maybe all spiritual hotspots have barriers.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Just like you don't want to bring damaging, fast-breeding species of invasive water plants from one lake to another, you don't wanna go spreading ghosts and spirits around. They might already be there, but you don't want to bring MORE out of Mayview.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Also, some spirits are dangerous and cunning enough that Spender is borderline paranoid about them getting any info (see: treatment of Isaac because he cannot separate him from his spirit, contrarily to Max's bat that can be chucked away). Even a weak and harmless spirit could serve as a messenger for another spirit.

If it weren't critical to eject all spirits from the ghost train, then it wouldn't have been necessary for Spender's organization to erect the barrier in the first place.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Speaking of Spender's treatment of Issac, and the wisdom/good sense comment last time, I'm pretty sure doorman's relationship with Issac is gonna end up loving over everyone royally at some point and it'll all be Spender's fault for treating Issac like poo poo.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I liked the awkward silence and Spender's equally awkward apology when he accidentally revealed how Max's mom went out. Max did look pretty upset when Spender went all EVERY LETHAL DISEASE.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Level Slide posted:

I liked the awkward silence and Spender's equally awkward apology when he accidentally revealed how Max's mom went out. Max did look pretty upset when Spender went all EVERY LETHAL DISEASE.

I thought that was more Max being upset at a flippant response about Spender forgetting a detail that could have killed Max. I don't think we've gotten any confirmation about how Max's mother died yet.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Prison Warden posted:

Speaking of Spender's treatment of Issac, and the wisdom/good sense comment last time, I'm pretty sure doorman's relationship with Issac is gonna end up loving over everyone royally at some point and it'll all be Spender's fault for treating Issac like poo poo.

Isaac and Spender's collective anime levels are so high that a student/mentor duel is inevitable.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Brannock posted:

I thought that was more Max being upset at a flippant response about Spender forgetting a detail that could have killed Max. I don't think we've gotten any confirmation about how Max's mother died yet.
Yeah, it was this.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
Actually his conversation with PJ suggested that she died violently.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Pretty much, I felt that went just a little too dark when PJ responded with PERFECT! Max was upset basically with Spender not telling him sooner considering he was planning to leave Mayview very soon.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Prison Warden posted:

I don't think it's so much "he treats Isaac like poo poo" as "Isaac doesn't have a backpack Spender can slap away at a critical moment." Like he's never cagey with anyone else unless he gives some crazy anime speech about how it's in his best interests to be cagey, so the simplest answer is pretty much "Spender can't tell Isaac this poo poo without also telling his crazy evil weather spirit."

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Shindragon posted:

Pretty much, I felt that went just a little too dark when PJ responded with PERFECT! Max was upset basically with Spender not telling him sooner considering he was planning to leave Mayview very soon.

Link for those who want to reference. Personally I thought that was probably the funniest moment to date. PJ's doubling down on it just sent it way over the line.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Shindragon posted:

Pretty much, I felt that went just a little too dark when PJ responded with PERFECT!

I feel it went exactly the right amount of dark.

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Prison Warden posted:

Really I'd be more ready to blame Issac, seeing as most his actions feel like him trying to prove how great he is and how he should be trusted to the rest of the group. He is just too anime

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Fecha posted:

In fact apparently Mayview is "the boonies". Maybe all spiritual hotspots have barriers.

It sounds like the exception provided by the ghost train is a pretty rare phenomenon, though.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
Yeah you could really only have so many kids horrifyingly pulped against an unseen force before people started nosing around and trying to get answers.

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

http://paranatural.net/chapter-4-page-74/

Things Spender is bad at: Metaphors

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Thank you for introducing me to this comic, thread. It is the Best Comic.

I wish all the authority figures in my life had been Mr. Starchman. Like, my dad, my first school teacher, my college professors. Everyone.

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
Something about the way that third-to-last panel is framed, where Spender's glaring at his own reflection, makes me think that his lesson here has some kind of personal tie to him? Like he personally knew a ghost that faded away or something.

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.

Angry Walrus posted:

Something about the way that third-to-last panel is framed, where Spender's glaring at his own reflection, makes me think that his lesson here has some kind of personal tie to him? Like he personally knew a ghost that faded away or something.

It also sounds like his glasses, which we know is a tool, may have eaten the ghostbuddy so wooo future plot ties

Diet Conan Doyle
Jan 15, 2010

Watch as I pluck the moon from the very sky!

Angry Walrus posted:

That, or he remembered Max has a dead mom and he's being a bit insensitive.

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.

Diet Conan Doyle posted:

Eh, I don't think it's that. Comics are a visual medium, and Zach made a point of having Spender stare at his reflection, framed in a way so that we could see it. Why bother setting up a visual metaphor like that if Spender's just worried about being callous?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
"POSSESSED OFFICE PLANT". "POSSESSED PAINTING OF AN OFFICE PLANT". Oh boy.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Forget all that, the yarn body hair thing is just :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Diet Conan Doyle posted:

I'm guessing it's this based on Isabel's reaction.