Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Redmark posted:

I suspect that post was not entirely serious.

edit: I agree that ironic use of the word 'literally' should be a capital offense though

Are you literally saying that people should be killed for using a word ironically?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

I kind of doubt Mike was their first and only choice, but that they asked a bunch of players and only he had the readiness to make the trip to Germany with the given schedule.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

Double Bill posted:

I kind of doubt Mike was their first and only choice, but that they asked a bunch of players and only he had the readiness to make the trip to Germany with the given schedule.

It's been confirmed multiple times in the past that Mike Ross is the only fighting game player with a valid passport.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Parallax Scroll posted:

One of the big mistakes that esports companies keep making when they try to add fighting games is they try to run everything like it's a Starcraft match. For Starcraft and MOBA matches that can take like an hour per game, it makes sense to supplement that with pre/post match analysis and interviews, long player profile segments, long commercial breaks between matches, and dramatic "player entrance" segments where they make a big deal out of a guy walking into the room and sitting down in his chair. It also makes sense to cut away from the gameplay periodically to show the player cam or crowd shots, since sometimes during the game there's nothing interesting going on. Then they try and do all that same stuff for fighting game matches that are over in 1-3 minutes.

Exactly. And that comes mostly from lack of experience dealing with those type of games. The "esports" community - if you can call it that - was always focused on long-duration, slow-paced and/or team-based games where it's more important to explain the whole than details. MOBAS, RTSs, FPSs and the like. So they developed a style of commentary and presentation that fits that type of game. Fighting games are WAY different.

Maybe people should pull a South Park here and find a middle ground. Esports presentation for fighting games doesn't work, that is evident. But you have a TON of experienced tournament organizers and streamers in the scene. If a big esports company wants to take a serious shot at fighting games, why not call those dudes and work out how to do your silly pseudo-ESPN crap without destroying the enjoyable part of the FGC? I've seen interview segments in majors, I've seen special entrances in majors, they were just done in the FGC way - which is to say, a lot more tongue-in-cheek than esports. Don't mute the crowd, people making noise and getting hype have been a part of sports for the longest time. Instead, work it into your "we are almost like real sports" gimmick - again, soccer is marketable as hell and part of its appeal is being part of a crowd coming unglued. You could even do pools for a big tournament like a normal stream and switch to ESPORTS MODE for the finals - just call it a "qualifier" or something.

I dunno. More cash in the scene isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I think people have been going the wrong way about bringing it into the FGC.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
Fighting games are way closer to... actual fighting, and should be modeled after something like MMA or boxing.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Waterbed posted:

Fighting games are way closer to... actual fighting, and should be modeled after something like MMA or boxing.

Or pro wrestling.

(just semi-joking here, to be honest)

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Dias posted:

Or pro wrestling.

The Barfights series Gootecks used to do had a bit of a pro wrestling feel to it, right down to the staged rivalries. :classiclol:

It was fun to watch though.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I see a lot of complaining, all I know is that I'm having a good time watching Tokido beat the dogshit out of Ryan Hart.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Arturo was streaming some Japanese tapes a while back from the 90's that basically did everything from the crazy player intros to the interviews and stuff like that, so its not like that is even a new thing. Hell, he was even hype about it and saying how awesome it was and how he wished streamers and events had more money to do stuff like that these days. The problem with ESGN is that the execution is poor, not that it exists.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Dias posted:

Or pro wrestling.

The major that actually did this was a blast.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
Wow, ESGN episode today:

Can anyone find the exact moment you see Ryan's heart break?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
All that time spent recording Hart's victory pose, forever lost in the abyss.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

Death Bot posted:

The major that actually did this was a blast.

You mean CEO right?

I remember they had entrances with theme songs in 2012, and last year they had the cage which Mike Ross promptly crushed. Oh also Floe steam rolling Fanatiq and ChrisG back to back. That major owns.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Dias posted:

Or pro wrestling.

American Gladiators, unironically. I want theatrics and gaudy costumes.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

Dias posted:

Or pro wrestling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ho1PJiaS4w

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is infiltration going to end up playing the very last game and taking all the money? He is definitely the scariest player there, but how come they didn't manage to pull any other top top players like those in the last 2 big capcom events?

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Holy crap, that was a crazy beat down. Like, drat. It was like an exhibition match against Daigo.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Parallax Scroll posted:

He's never even won a major.

Neither have a ton of really good players. He's the best Honda in the world, according to both tournament placings (which obviously mean everything) and numerous top Japanese players. He's one of the best players in America and mostly loses to the other best players in America (or Japan). He also happens to be one of the most popular "personalities" so he's one of the most obvious choices for this kind of thing.

If you honestly think he's not good at the game you're dumb.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
3rd Strike tournament at Super Arcade tonight with 30+ entrants.

http://www.twitch.tv/iebattlegrounds

edit bracket http://iebattlegrounds.challonge.com/RustyParry_Lenin

iPodschun fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Feb 1, 2014

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
The commentary at this 3S tournament is cracking me up.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Karaoke night with James Chen

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Neither have a ton of really good players. He's the best Honda in the world, according to both tournament placings (which obviously mean everything) and numerous top Japanese players. He's one of the best players in America and mostly loses to the other best players in America (or Japan). He also happens to be one of the most popular "personalities" so he's one of the most obvious choices for this kind of thing.

He's good, but he's not a top 10 American player.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
Super Arcade is hosting old games tournaments today: ST, Alpha 2, CvS2, and MvC2. Stream will go up around 6PM Pacific.

https://www.twitch.tv/iebattlegrounds

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I dunno if you guys have been following the new Excellent Adventures series, but 1) you should, because it's still funny and 2) HOLY poo poo GOOTECKS HAS A DHALSIM?

The Timely Howard
Dec 26, 2008

ASK ME WHAT MAKES ME THINK I'M SO FUNKY

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

He's really good at the game, but he's not anywhere even close to being the best Honda. The Japanese players are really nice and do not make a habit of going around telling people they're not good players. I've played against Mike Ross on a couple different occasions (none of them recent, admittedly), and I can say quite confidently that the Honda players here in Japan are on a totally different level, and there are legions of them. That's not to say that they're inherently better Street Fighter players than Mike Ross, just that they play really often and at a much higher level.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

compLexity drops FChamp and ShadyK:

http://www.complexitygaming.com/news/4290/

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now

Dias posted:

2) HOLY poo poo GOOTECKS HAS A DHALSIM?

Holy poo poo indeed. Gootecks having the time of his life.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.

It's like they picked that photo of him as a reaction shot.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Bunch of sponsors and teams dropping FGC it seems. Who's left now just EG, Madcatz and Brokentier?

sicarius
Dec 12, 2002

In brightest day,
In blackest night,
My smugface makes,
women wet....

That's how it goes, right?

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Bunch of sponsors and teams dropping FGC it seems. Who's left now just EG, Madcatz and Brokentier?

There's just so much money in sponsorships elsewhere. That and some of the hype from Street Fighter IV has waned amongst the general public, so there's less exposure. It's a lose-lose for them.

That and some of the egos of the FGC players are so awful that getting them to do anything for the brand is awful.

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011

Dias posted:

I dunno if you guys have been following the new Excellent Adventures series, but 1) you should, because it's still funny and 2) HOLY poo poo GOOTECKS HAS A DHALSIM?
It sounds like Gootecks in plinking even when doing normal pokes. Is that out of habit or is there a use to it?

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Razer just picked up Xian and Gackt to go along with Fuudo and Itabashi.

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser

that Vai sound posted:

It sounds like Gootecks in plinking even when doing normal pokes. Is that out of habit or is there a use to it?

No in-game purpose other than being a good/harmless SF4 habit. The only downside is that people will aaabsolutely dial into your buttons if you're plinking random pokes loudly in versus without thinking about it.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

that Vai sound posted:

He's probably double tapping, and it's probably out of habit.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
https://www.twitch.tv/iplaywinner is replaying Evo 2013 top 8s to get ready for Wizard announcing the 2014 lineup on The Fray tonight at 7PM Pacific. TTT2 is on now. http://evo.shoryuken.com/ was recently revamped as well.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

iPodschun posted:

https://www.twitch.tv/iplaywinner is replaying Evo 2013 top 8s to get ready for Wizard announcing the 2014 lineup on The Fray tonight at 7PM Pacific. TTT2 is on now. http://evo.shoryuken.com/ was recently revamped as well.

This has been a fun watch so far. Thanks for posting good memories. KOF just finished and I forgot how crazy hype it was.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
Wizard is still in NYC due to a delayed flight along with being sick so the lineup reveal has been rescheduled to Thursday.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...
Watching Infiltration vs Tokido. Man, that is some amazing play. As someone who played some games back in the day (Soul Calibur II, SF3S) I find SFIV in its modern incarnation to be a lot more watchable than something like UMVC3--you can really see the tactics and mindgames at work.

impulse 7 effect
Jun 2, 2011

iPodschun posted:

Wizard is still in NYC due to a delayed flight along with being sick so the lineup reveal has been rescheduled to Thursday.

Thanks for posting this - was wondering about the 'why' of the delay and this makes sense.

Back to warming up the Hawk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

iPodschun posted:

Wow, the evo site looks nice.