Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

How can I tell how old my hot water heater is? My building just sent around a memo saying any heater that's 10 years or older must be replaced, but I moved in here much less than 10 years ago and I can't seem to find a date anywhere on the unit.

Here are the stickers on it... there's one more, but it's just a "this poo poo be hot, careful with that water son" sticker. Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Call the manufacturer and give them the serial/model number. They should be able to look it up.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Is there any place that I can find an archive of advertisements, safety warnings and posters that can be found on the inside of UK buses and trains? Or just, any pictures of them?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I got some ice from my freezer and one of the cubes has this weird stalagmite. How does that happen?

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Another Person posted:

Is there any place that I can find an archive of advertisements, safety warnings and posters that can be found on the inside of UK buses and trains? Or just, any pictures of them?

Was there any particular image you were looking for? A quick Google Image search of 'UK train posters' resulted in some classy posters for such far away exotic locations as Bournemouth and Derbyshire.

Chupe Raho Aurat
Jun 22, 2011

by Lowtax
Im going to post this in the tablet thread, but this thread has answered every question I've had so far so..

All of a sudden my Ipod/Ipad and Iphone are all closing down whatever im doing and opening the app store to one specific game. I googled the issue and have found posts by people having the same issue (with other random games in the app store) as far back as 2010. Like me most of these people have not installed the app. In some of the threads Apple has acknowledged the issue and fixed it doing something from their end. I rang Apple support and they never heard of it and told me to restore my items, people in the threads have posted that this sometimes does the trick sometimes not.

Is there something I can do that does not involve returning all this gear to the supplier full of my own faeces?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is Natalie Dee not being updated with comics any more? I've tried searching about that, but since all three of those sites have "Natalie Dee" in them, it's tough to find out if there's been an announcement or anything.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Tiggum posted:

I got some ice from my freezer and one of the cubes has this weird stalagmite. How does that happen?

It's trying to escape because your icetray is gross, throw it out and get a new one.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Tiggum posted:

It's an ice spike.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I get a lot of people saying I should go into radio/voice work. Is there a way to look into this on a freelance/not quitting my day job basis?

At first it was people at work and various other places saying I should work on radio, then a bunch of goons on mumble want me to read them the news. It'd be cool for a slow trickle of side income if it turns out well, but I don't want to just go to the local radio station and say 'uguu people at work and on the internet (and at the coffee shop, etc etc, anywhere I've needed to speak loudly and clearly) say I have a nice voice can I work here with you professionals' but if there's some gainful work to be done I wouldn't mind making a beer fund out of it.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

The Entire Universe posted:

I get a lot of people saying I should go into radio/voice work. Is there a way to look into this on a freelance/not quitting my day job basis?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3461287

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Another Person posted:

How about an entire archive available online?

http://www.ltmcollection.org/posters/index.html

Though, only in lowish res

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

AlbieQuirky posted:

A decent shredder costs <$20 and lasts forever.

Do people in Australia not get tons of credit card solicitations? Because I get a couple every week, and I shred the gently caress out of them. Also old bank statements, etc.

For credit card solicitations, go to https://www.optoutprescreen.com/ and you can stop getting credit card offers for up to 5 years if you opt out electronically or permanently if you opt out via snail mail.

The site was set up as part of the 2008 regs and is run by the 3 big credit bureaus. I started receiving tons of offers after I bought my house 2 years ago and when I did the opt-out they stopped completely within a few weeks.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

About 15 minutes after my computer boots up (and rarely at random), all of my USB hardware freezes and restarts. I can see the lights on my keyboard and tablet flash like they are booting up for the first time, even though seconds earlier they were in use. Whole process takes about 15 seconds. Any idea what this could be?

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

razz posted:

how could they not get caught being so stupid?

Because the government is even more stupid is my best guess. In reality though it will be because the government isn't looking at millions of peoples taxes to make sure they are legit. Sure they audit a few at random but mostly they are not looking at anything unless someone complains and even then they may never look at it.

If he was using his real info and not just a bunch of fake info they will probably be able to catch him fairly easy. Most likely he used all fake info and went to one of the chain tax places that give you a gift card with your return on it. He will have spent the card by the time anything is reported to the IRS and it gets back to the tax place that he wasn't that person.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
I have a couple hundred used toner and ink cartridges piled up and I would like to get paid for them.
Is there a good site that has been vetted?

I found this one: http://usedcartridge.com/

Any experiences with them or their ilk?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

uptown posted:

I looked on Etsy and couldn't find anything that he would like - it's mostly kids' birthday invitations, cutesy girly crap, and wall art that he wouldn't use, but thanks for the suggestion.

Again though, I ask my goon brethren: What should I get for a 29 year old comic book nerd who prefers Marvel characters? Someone I work with suggested buying him Legendary, but he wouldn't like that either. I guess I'm looking for maybe a rare(?) toy in mint condition or something. I'm looking to spent about $200.

I'm not sure the time frame you're looking at, but you can try movie replica stuff. I'm having trouble finding it now, but I was able to find stuff like a replica comic book style Cyclops visor, a prop Bat-Grapple, Spider-man's web shooters from the last movie... Google characters he likes + Movie Replicas and that should help give you some ideas.

EDIT: Most of this stuff is way beyond a $200 price tag, but it does give you a starting point I tihnk
http://www.propstore.com/products/?keyword=batman&office=2

CzarChasm fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jan 31, 2014

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Very Strange Things posted:

I have a couple hundred used toner and ink cartridges piled up and I would like to get paid for them.
Is there a good site that has been vetted?

I found this one: http://usedcartridge.com/

Any experiences with them or their ilk?

Do you have a list of the parts you have?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
What year did major retailers like Best Buy start carrying only flat screen TVs?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I want to learn LUA and programming, is this a good place to start? http://www.lua.org/pil/p1.html

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

cheerfullydrab posted:

What year did major retailers like Best Buy start carrying only flat screen TVs?

As late as 2008, I saw a Sony hdtv crt at Nebraska Furniture Mart (biggest furniture / electronics store in the world). It was the last one and was on clearance, so probably right around that time? 36" / 1080i, don't recall the price. I think it weight around 150 lbs.
I purchased an sdtv crt from Best Buy around 2004, to put a hard boundary on the other side.

e: From wikipedia

quote:

The end of most high-end CRT production by around 2010 [36] (including high-end Sony and Mitsubishi product lines) means an erosion of the CRT's capability.[37][38] In Canada and the United States, the sale and production of high-end CRT TVs (30-inch screens) in these markets had all but ended by 2007; just a couple of years later, inexpensive combo CRT TVs (20-inch screens with an integrated VHS or DVD player) have disappeared from discount stores

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jan 31, 2014

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

spog posted:

How about an entire archive available online?

http://www.ltmcollection.org/posters/index.html

Though, only in lowish res

That is exactly what I want, thanks!

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

Trastion posted:

Because the government is even more stupid is my best guess. In reality though it will be because the government isn't looking at millions of peoples taxes to make sure they are legit. Sure they audit a few at random but mostly they are not looking at anything unless someone complains and even then they may never look at it.

If he was using his real info and not just a bunch of fake info they will probably be able to catch him fairly easy. Most likely he used all fake info and went to one of the chain tax places that give you a gift card with your return on it. He will have spent the card by the time anything is reported to the IRS and it gets back to the tax place that he wasn't that person.

I was thinking more along the lines of, how could the person whose identity was stolen not find out as soon as they go to file their taxes? When my friend submitted her taxes, the IRS said they had already been submitted on Jan 10. Apparently they put a freeze on that and let her file her actual tax return (they could do that since it was before Jan 31st I guess). But anyone who files their taxes would find out something was amiss, then the IRS could simply look into it and see who filed the fraudulent tax return because it contains all of their contact information.

I know the government wouldn't necessarily detect it but surely the chances of the individual with the stolen identity finding out and then reporting it are pretty drat high. Are these ID thieves just banking on the person not filing their taxes or what? It just seems pretty arrogant on their part.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Crankit posted:

It's trying to escape because your icetray is gross, throw it out and get a new one.

What do you think is wrong with my ice tray?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

What do you think is wrong with my ice tray?

Rathina
Jan 8, 2001
I hope this is the right thread to ask this in...but what happened to GBS? I mostly read in different sub forums, but occasionally poke my head into GBS when I get bored, but a few months ago it seemed to have changed. I've tried searching, and I just can't figure out what happened. I keep poking my head back in there every few weeks, but it doesn't seem to have returned to normal yet. Any idea what happened?

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Rathina posted:

I hope this is the right thread to ask this in...but what happened to GBS? I mostly read in different sub forums, but occasionally poke my head into GBS when I get bored, but a few months ago it seemed to have changed. I've tried searching, and I just can't figure out what happened. I keep poking my head back in there every few weeks, but it doesn't seem to have returned to normal yet. Any idea what happened?

The mods got sick of enforcing rules/ thought it would be funny to not enforce rules. It turns out of that people are horrible.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

kedo posted:

How can I tell how old my hot water heater is? My building just sent around a memo saying any heater that's 10 years or older must be replaced, but I moved in here much less than 10 years ago and I can't seem to find a date anywhere on the unit.

Here are the stickers on it... there's one more, but it's just a "this poo poo be hot, careful with that water son" sticker. Any ideas?

To state the obvious... if you can't tell, then the HOA gestapo can't tell, and I'd just declare it was new in 2009 and has 6 good years left in it.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Looks like ice to me.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I have absolutely no idea what those arrows are supposed to indicate.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Tiggum posted:

I have absolutely no idea what those arrows are supposed to indicate.

I think they mean that the cubes are not level. Why aren't they level?

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Maybe tuyop lives in an area without reflection.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

poopkitty posted:

I think they mean that the cubes are not level. Why aren't they level?

Carelessness, I guess? The tray isn't leaking or anything.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I'm just joking, but it looks kind of gross with the way the frost is and one of the cubes looks like it has a particle of dust or food or something in it. And it's a pretty bent and haggard looking tray in the first place.

But you don't need to defend your ice cube tray, I think it's funny.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
How come some bodies of water are labeled on Google Maps and some aren't? There's a couple real small lakes in my county that have names, but the two huge (5x the size) watershed lakes on our property don't have names. Why is this? Is it because ours are on private property? Can I officially name them somehow?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

razz posted:

How come some bodies of water are labeled on Google Maps and some aren't? There's a couple real small lakes in my county that have names, but the two huge (5x the size) watershed lakes on our property don't have names. Why is this? Is it because ours are on private property? Can I officially name them somehow?

Are you the Facebook mayor of your town yet?

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

tuyop posted:

Are you the Facebook mayor of your town yet?

Facebook won't let people be in charge of the "Places" pages :(. Although I am officially the mayor yes. I was knighted in as mayor by my mother-in-law. That's official, right?

I am in the process of making a webpage for the town though, through a Kansas historical society that I found out is located at my university. My husband and I went out to the old town and found some cool old stuff. He found a 1914 D penny that is worth a couple hundred dollars. Well it was before he destroyed it by trying to clean it with acid.

Then and now. That's the remnants of a sidewalk and a curb in the second photo.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

I don't want to ever use my webcam. I disabled it from the device manager (windows 8.) Is this all I have to do to never worry about malware hijacking it?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Chupe Raho Aurat posted:

Im going to post this in the tablet thread, but this thread has answered every question I've had so far so..

All of a sudden my Ipod/Ipad and Iphone are all closing down whatever im doing and opening the app store to one specific game. I googled the issue and have found posts by people having the same issue (with other random games in the app store) as far back as 2010. Like me most of these people have not installed the app. In some of the threads Apple has acknowledged the issue and fixed it doing something from their end. I rang Apple support and they never heard of it and told me to restore my items, people in the threads have posted that this sometimes does the trick sometimes not.

Is there something I can do that does not involve returning all this gear to the supplier full of my own faeces?
Assuming it's happening while browsing, it's a bad banner ad that tricks the device into going to the app store. It happens here on SA to a lot of people, but I think they've tried to get rid of that ad.

You could jailbreak and install adblock, or just not browse sites that have bad ads. The awful app is good for browsing SA, and it doesn't have that problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeldaLeft
Oct 15, 2004
Waiting in the mirrors of the Hotel Lobby
I don't understand a couple things about credit cards:
1.What happens to credit card debt if you die? Does it pass on to heirs? What if there are none? Do the credit card companies eat the charges? If so, what prevents old people from going nuts on QVC in credit card debt they never have to do anything but pay the minimum on?

2. What prevents a person from getting 4 credit cards, charging the hell out of one, then transferring the balance to another card every month until the end of time, therefore improving his credit score and reaping what ever rewards benefits that come with his cards?