Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
"That'll be $10 sir."

"BUT WE HAVE TO STAMP OUT CHIKARA'S REMAINING EMBERS!"

"Sir, I can't let you in until you pay for parking."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?
Yet another Ashes update.

"Ashes - Believe"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKDWi7LJqyA

The Colony agrees to help Icarus stop the baddies shutting down Wrestling Is.

ETA:

Someone bought the shows for some of the Wrestling Is companies that got shut down and put up clips of the rudos' attacks.

GEKIDO kills Wrestling Is Intense
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTLczVseqa0

Dr. Cube kills Wrestling Is Awesome
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdWuWoLaAcI

Kizarny kills Wrestling Is Art
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHfHL-L37cs

BDK kills Wrestling Is Cool
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K66cbegzifw

Jay 2K Winger fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jan 31, 2014

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
Its sad that all of those shows have like 30 people in the crowd. That's just terrible. I've been to really bad shows that had 100+ people. Never understood how these companies drew so few people.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

DM Punk posted:

Its sad that all of those shows have like 30 people in the crowd. That's just terrible. I've been to really bad shows that had 100+ people. Never understood how these companies drew so few people.

Because they have been booked as, promoted as, and seen as, the lesser promotions of Chikara. The North East has a lot of wrestling options, so going to the lesser version of a not particularly popular promotion doesn't entice most people.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004

Wazzu posted:

Because they have been booked as, promoted as, and seen as, the lesser promotions of Chikara. The North East has a lot of wrestling options, so going to the lesser version of a not particularly popular promotion doesn't entice most people.

Most of these shows have at least one or two really decent matches. I mean, Colt vs Gulak should sell a FEW tickets, right?

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Because they are still new promotions that were god awful at promoting the actual loving shows. You could have two of the best workers ever and biggest names and if you are a random promotion that poorly advertises the shows you'll draw like poo poo.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
A couple decent matches and "Colt Cabana" are not enough to draw well in the Northeast.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

And really, that's the biggest problem of this whole situation. The Wrestling Is promotions were a giant waste. I watched a handful and they were so interchangeable that I'd have to look it up to recall which promotions they were. If they were well-promoted and unique in their own way, then at least there would be some quality to the whole "year without Chikara" gimmick. This is a company known for thinking too hard about itself and yet they gave these different shows no thought whatsoever. Other than a handful of good matches, the only thing they have of interest is being killed off. If they succeeded, then seeing the rudo factions attack should have brought the response of, "Oh man, those shows were a cool change of pace, but now I guess it's gone," instead of, "Cool, they're one step closer to bringing things back to normal."

But in the end, all of this -- ALL OF THIS -- would be worth it if one of the promotions was Wrestling is Serious. Every time I look at that site, I notice something new. Like how the guy with zero wins is holding a title belt.

Meanwhile, back in the Hardcore 24/7 title picture, I dig Chuck's new theme song.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

They'd sell more tickets if they advertised outside of the Chikara -verse

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

And they barely advertised within the Chikara-verse!

I bet the final Respect show probably did decent, at least compared to the other shows, just because people knew that Chikara stuff was going to happen.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004

Gavok posted:

And they barely advertised within the Chikara-verse!

I bet the final Respect show probably did decent, at least compared to the other shows, just because people knew that Chikara stuff was going to happen.

I was at that show. It drew about 40 people which is about what every single WiRespect show drew. I swear it was the exact same crowd at every show I went to. There's about 20 or so of us that go to all the local Fun, Cool, and Respect shows like Wrestle Granny and stuff. I dunno, maybe they do well on SMVOD, but after they upped the price from $4.99 I imagine less people were buying them.

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct
If this was really all about Chikara running out of money, I can't help but wonder how simply creating a "Bring back Chikara" kickstarter or whatever would have fared compared to all of -this- instead.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
It's funny that Wrestling is Respect draws 40, but when Delirious was running those shows on his own a few years ago they'd draw like 200.

Happy Happyist
Jul 23, 2007

I need your assistance to make the world blue and change it into a happy and peaceful society.

Jay 2K Winger posted:

Yet another Ashes update.

"Ashes - Believe"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKDWi7LJqyA

The Colony agrees to help Icarus stop the baddies shutting down Wrestling Is.

ETA:

Someone bought the shows for some of the Wrestling Is companies that got shut down and put up clips of the rudos' attacks.

GEKIDO kills Wrestling Is Intense
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTLczVseqa0

Dr. Cube kills Wrestling Is Awesome
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdWuWoLaAcI

Kizarny kills Wrestling Is Art
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHfHL-L37cs

BDK kills Wrestling Is Cool
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K66cbegzifw

THANK YOU for posting these!!!! As I have time, I'm going to edit these and Ashes altogether to make some sort of cohesive narrative. We'll see how that goes.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Happy Happyist posted:

THANK YOU for posting these!!!! As I have time, I'm going to edit these and Ashes altogether to make some sort of cohesive narrative. We'll see how that goes.

Do those actually load for you? When I try I get a "user has removed video" message

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Ashes -"we did all these cool things but pulled the youtube vids as part of the arg. why are only 40 people showing up to our shows?"

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

coconono posted:

Ashes -"we did all these cool things but pulled the youtube vids as part of the arg. why are only 40 people showing up to our shows?"

They didn't pull the Ashes videos. They pulled the clips someone put up of the Wrestling Is shows being torn down, which is understandable, since it's the only reason anyone would ever purchase them.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Gavok posted:

They didn't pull the Ashes videos. They pulled the clips someone put up of the Wrestling Is shows being torn down, which is understandable, since it's the only reason anyone would ever purchase them.

Or they're denying themselves free advertising.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

That's what tomorrow is for.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

coconono posted:

Or they're denying themselves free advertising.

Yeah, you have to ask yourself how much something like that would hurt business versus attracting new viewers. I'm no business expert, but Chikara seems small enough that they might want these videos to stay up as advertising for their crazy stories.

Punchsport Pagoda > Chikara Pro: I'm no business expert, but

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gavok posted:

That's what tomorrow is for.

Spending a boatload of money on a show isn't free advertising.

Happy Happyist
Jul 23, 2007

I need your assistance to make the world blue and change it into a happy and peaceful society.

triplexpac posted:

Do those actually load for you? When I try I get a "user has removed video" message

Welp, that's what I get for posting before I check links :(

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

MassRafTer posted:

Spending a boatload of money on a show isn't free advertising.

Whoops, you're right. Wires got crossed when I was writing that.

TotalHell posted:

Yeah, you have to ask yourself how much something like that would hurt business versus attracting new viewers. I'm no business expert, but Chikara seems small enough that they might want these videos to stay up as advertising for their crazy stories.

Punchsport Pagoda > Chikara Pro: I'm no business expert, but

Normally I'd agree, but right now those Smart Mark videos are the only source of income they're getting in the near future, meager as I'm sure it is. The only reasons to get them are because you're either a completist or you want to see the stuff that that guy put up on YouTube. Maybe they can put them up when they have an actual Chikara show to sell in a few months but right now I can't fault them for wanting it taken down.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
If CHIKARA wants this stuff up as advertising they can put the videos up themselves. If they think this storyline is a draw I wouldn't want that stuff up because it's one of those things that (if you are into it) is going to sound cooler than it can possibly look. I can't see anyone seeing a group causing havoc in sort of low rent costumes in front of a few dozen people making people go "I NEED TO BUY THIS!" but people who are into CHIKARA might buy it to see that.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Well in an ideal world you don't give everything away, but you give enough to draw people in. Even videos with just the camera cutting to black and the commentary up for a few seconds would give a hint that something you have to see has gone down and you should check this out. PWG are excellent at doing this with their trailers, which are spoiler heavy but hold little moments back to get you to pay for it.

The big difference is that PWG wanted to sell DVD's, I have no idea what any member of the Chikara family was trying to do.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Who's going to NPWD? My wife and I will be there along with a mutual friend, and we might drag my brother-in-law along. It's been a big week of wrestling for us, we were at Royal Rumble on Sunday. For some reason I'm as excited for this as I was for Rumble. It just looks like it could be a lot of fun.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I'll be there. I'll be the guy wearing the Wrestlemania VIII shirt.

Yet another Ashes video was posted. I guess if those Chikara guys are going to end up working together to fight off the Alliance to End Chikaramania, they're gonna need a montage.

Dig Ophidian's hooded robe.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
I'll be there. I really wonder how many people will be at this show. Even though its free, it's in Easton and barely got much buzz. Last year felt like a pretty major deal with all these companies coming together. This is just a Wrestling Is Supershow. It will be sad if only a couple hundred people show up to a free show.

SirDippingSauce
Oct 25, 2012

We're here to interrogate Manly Dan the lumberjack for the murder of wax Stan.
I was going to go, but some stuff has come up at the last minute, so I'm gonna have to catch the stream and toss the charity a few bucks via paypal. ETA: Turns out I'll be able to hitch a ride after all. If you see a fat whue dude with a goatee in a plain red shirt jabbering with a slightly less fat dude in a goatee with a cowboy hat, that'd be me and my friend. Say hi.

Also, I am sorta sad that with the BDK resurfacing, we haven't seen Jakob Hammermeier out front and center defying them, considering he was the announcer/mouthpiece for them.

As for the Wrestling Is'... I had only every gone to Cool, but it seemed way audience participation-y and super family friendly, like almost even more so than some of the Chikara shows I've gone to (I am so glad the VOD kept in the stuff with the little kid for the July 21 show). Is that so, or does Wrestling is Fun capture that same sort of vibe in person?

SirDippingSauce fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Feb 1, 2014

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Decent crowd here. Got a good view in the upper left bleachers. I'm in a Fire Ant shirt if you wanna say howdy.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I'm on my way over with some friends. I'll be the dude in the cactus jack shirt and flannel.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Front row by the entrance back to the merch section . With Leather shirt and Biscuits hat

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct
I just tuned in on YouTube. Did they do the main event first?

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
Baltic Siege vs. Bloc Party was way more fun than I was expecting.

Zarikov
Jun 20, 2004

Metal Gear? Metal Gear? Metal Gear!
Dinosaur Gum
I know almost nothing about Chikara and I am enjoying this. Cool!

Gordy
Sep 6, 2002
Wow, great to see a huge crowd there. I completely forgot this was live on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haU-BfRKnLc

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Technical difficulties… I guess Sinclair is broadcasting this

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Aaaaand now its down. Also lmao at the Steampunk gimmick.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

part of the storyline??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
A black guy with a Dragonball Z gimmick, huh?

He's pretty neat though.

• Locked thread