Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hellsjudge
May 13, 2010

Lord Twisted posted:

If I'd given her a country before the claim - making her my vassal - would this have worked to make France part of the britannian empire?

Yes, but if you need to be on Absolute Cognatic so you can grant titles to women.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

hellsjudge posted:

Yes, but if you need to be on Absolute Cognatic so you can grant titles to women.

Or be one of the religions that let's you give temples to women.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

I've got an opportunity to capture the duchy of Barcelona and establish a presence on the Mediterranean. I heard that trade republics can make you a ton of money in the right locations; would this be a good time to set one up for a vassal? Note that I do not have The Republic DLC, or any DLC.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

hellsjudge posted:

That's a pain in the arse then. Might be able to change the law though... Looks like I won't be able to do it this way. Pretty sure she's got an existing son though - I'll see if it's an inheritable claim and go from there, bringing the son to my court/Marrying him to my daughter before granting him a county and then pressing his claim.

I just want bloody France! And I killed my drat wife for this.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Parallax Scroll posted:

I've got an opportunity to capture the duchy of Barcelona and establish a presence on the Mediterranean. I heard that trade republics can make you a ton of money in the right locations; would this be a good time to set one up for a vassal? Note that I do not have The Republic DLC, or any DLC.

I don't think you can set up proper merchant republics without the DLC, and thus won't get most of the cash benefit. Also, buy some DLC.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

fool_of_sound posted:

I don't think you can set up proper merchant republics without the DLC, and thus won't get most of the cash benefit. Also, buy some DLC.

I will after I finish my first game with just the base game.

All I know is that I accidentally made a Republic earlier when I pushed a mayor's claim on Brittany, so I know they can exist in the vanilla game. That's been converted to a normal feudal duchy since then.

a shiny rock fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jan 31, 2014

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Parallax Scroll posted:

I will after I finish my first game with just the base game.

All I know is that I accidentally made a Republic earlier when I pushed a mayor's claim on Normandy, so I know they can exist in the vanilla game. That's been converted to a normal feudal duchy since then.

Republics can exist, but merchant republics and regular republics use different mechanics. Regular republics can't build trade posts, for instance.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

fool_of_sound posted:

Republics can exist, but merchant republics and regular republics use different mechanics. Regular republics can't build trade posts, for instance.

Aight. I'll just make Barcelona a regular duchy then, thanks.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day
I don't think you need to have the DLC to create a merchant republic, just to play as one.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

You can create your merchant republic just fine and let AI have it, you just can't play as a patrician without DLC

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

DStecks posted:

That makes it even weirder, since personality traits like that are gained from events during childhood. That means that it only affects characters generated by "Summon a dude to your court" decisions. What exactly are they trying to do? :confused:

This is a little old, but...

Muslims have different childhood and marriage events, none of which can give the Chaste trait. Muslims can technically have Chaste, but there's no way for them to get it other than religious conversion or modded events, as far as I know.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Managed to get France so my wife didn't die in vain. loving Ireland then revolted.

Is there a simple way to enable castration and blinding for non byzantine rulers? I think I need to start blinding some of these upstarts.

chippocrates
Feb 20, 2013

Lord Twisted posted:

Managed to get France so my wife didn't die in vain. loving Ireland then revolted.

Is there a simple way to enable castration and blinding for non byzantine rulers? I think I need to start blinding some of these upstarts.

What does blinding do mechanically? Is it just the stat reductions listed on mouseover?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
So lets say I'm Caliph of Spain and I conquer Africa. If I set up my second son as King of Africa anf let him go independent, do I still gain Decadence for his heirs and their heirs even though they aren't connected to my empire anymore

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

chippocrates posted:

What does blinding do mechanically? Is it just the stat reductions listed on mouseover?

That, and another -10 opinion to the opposite sex (or, if homosexual, the same sex).

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Captain Oblivious posted:

So lets say I'm Caliph of Spain and I conquer Africa. If I set up my second son as King of Africa anf let him go independent, do I still gain Decadence for his heirs and their heirs even though they aren't connected to my empire anymore

Yep its dynasty-wide

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

My current queen seems to tend towards children who are a bit... queer.

Four daughters, three sons. Three of the daughters and all of the sons are homosexual.

More power to them I guess.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
More games need to simulate the radical homosexual agenda like that.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Yes. Don't do it. The AI can't manage decadence and will drive it up until you get invasions.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Rumda posted:

Yep its dynasty-wide

That is silly.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Rumda posted:

Yep its dynasty-wide
So you give your titles to all your kids so that they don't rack up decadence, and then they have kids who hang around doing nothing all day racking up decadence for you anyway?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Decadence is a lovely mechanic.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

CapnAndy posted:

So you give your titles to all your kids so that they don't rack up decadence, and then they have kids who hang around doing nothing all day racking up decadence for you anyway?

no, you give them titles then march off your ruler to die in a plague-riddled country. Once your heir inherits, you imprison and execute every single sibling and inherit their poo poo back.

No penalty, because yay ottoman succession

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Caufman posted:

More games need to simulate the radical homosexual agenda like that.

The only straight daughter was murdered in a suspicious accident, amusingly enough.

I'm finding this all very entertaining.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

CapnAndy posted:

This is why the preferred method of decadence management is "imprison or execute every single dynasty member that isn't your heir", so no one's around to rack up decadence.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Do most people try to live with the decadence mechanic or do they just type 'decadence 0' once in a while?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

monster on a stick posted:

Do most people try to live with the decadence mechanic or do they just type 'decadence 0' once in a while?

I just avoid playing as Muslims entirely. That game "mechanic" has killed any desire to play them.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Decadence feels like something entirely designed for AI opponents, where it works pretty well.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
I don't see that it even works well for them. It just results in periodic decadence invasions that replace the ruler, which are largely invisible and irrelevant to anyone outside the country in question.

Basically, the worst mechanic of CK2.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Strudel Man posted:

I don't see that it even works well for them. It just results in periodic decadence invasions that replace the ruler, which are largely invisible and irrelevant to anyone outside the country in question.

Basically, the worst mechanic of CK2.

When a cosmetic dlc cab mimic the only visible effect of mechanic than it is a bad mechanic

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Apparently Decadence will get 'tweaked' in Rajas of India. It remains to see if that means a complete overhaul to something better, a brilliant adjustment of the existing system, or an awkward bandaid that fails to fix one of the least fun mechanics in the game.

:iiam:

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
I'm going to assume the latter, just so I'm not disappointed later.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Decadence revolts could be more interesting if they resulted in all top-level vassals becoming independent and given a strong claim on their old liege's title. Total realm collapse, but with the possibility that it will reform under a new ruler.

EDIT: this wouldn't necessarily be any more fun for the guy being revolted against, but it would be something, I guess.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Fintilgin posted:

Apparently Decadence will get 'tweaked' in Rajas of India. It remains to see if that means a complete overhaul to something better, a brilliant adjustment of the existing system, or an awkward bandaid that fails to fix one of the least fun mechanics in the game.

:iiam:

*looks at the SoA decadence overhaul that was "totally gonna be included" and became the Mutazi/Asharii divide*

Yeah..not getting my hopes up just yet.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I miss Wiz's crack at it. I believe it only affected the player (or the member of the dynasty that had the most/best titles. I'm not sure) and having "bad" traits such as drunkard trigger events that raised decadence and "good" traits like patient triggering events to lower it.

I wouldn't miss it if it was just gone entirely but that sure was a step up.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Excelzior posted:

*looks at the SoA decadence overhaul that was "totally gonna be included" and became the Mutazi/Asharii divide*

Yeah..not getting my hopes up just yet.

Na the SoA decadence tweaks were rolled in to roi because they need more work

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Does anyone have an updated All Music Pack for enabling the DLC music when not playing a particular group? I have every music DLC but I never get to listen to 90% of them since I never play the Rus or Muslims.

rvm
May 6, 2013

You do.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
It would be nice if Decadence were tweaked so that it just applies to you and dynasty members in your court. I mean, if I'm the Sultan of Persia, why should I worry that a cousin eight-times-removed all the way in Morocco is spending all his time eating grapes while being fanned by his twenty harem girls?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

DrSunshine posted:

It would be nice if Decadence were tweaked so that it just applies to you and dynasty members in your court. I mean, if I'm the Sultan of Persia, why should I worry that a cousin eight-times-removed all the way in Morocco is spending all his time eating grapes while being fanned by his twenty harem girls?

In my game I have about 1.5k dynasty members alive at 1100. Split between Romuva, Orthodox(this branch is dying out) and the now main branch being Norse.

I mentioned over in the other Paradox thread that I was playing as the Duke of Sicily within the Byz with the 867 start. I conquered all of Sicily and the Kingdom of Africa. This activated Jihads and since I took Rome as well it activated Crusades. I get a notification for a Jihad against Anatolia. Whatever, I don't own anything there. Emperor gets loving stomped pretty bad and has to recover a bit. Suddenly there is a second loving Jihad against Africa, which is my direct holding. So now I have to respond as a vassal.

For those unaware, if you swat a doomstack as a vassal it doesn't count towards the warscore in your favor. So you just have to wait for the ticking score to settle the Jihad. During the leadup I had married a firstborn daughter off to the King of Italy who was a Karling. Home buy decides since my levies are low and I'm involved in a claim war with all of the Karling blob for my primary title while my secondary is alreayd disputed with the loving Jihad. So I just pull up stackes and forfeit Africa only to find that my levies are too depleted to handle the Karling Crusade and I ended up losing all my King titles and ended up as some backwater count in Greece or some poo poo. I played it out further but Byzantium was so neutered by essentially 3 simultaneous crusades against it that it devolved into nonstop civil war over the throne that it got picked apart at an astonishing rate.

Around that time I save scummed and declared independence the minute the first Jihad hit. From there my King had an affair with some Norse lady so I had two bastard kids I left Norse and set them up in Scotland since I just inherited that title. I swapped to the eldest and conquered all of The British Isles, Scandinavia, Frisia, Pomeriania, France, Burgundy, Galacia, Leon. During this timeframe I ran yearly raiding parties on Constantinople and nabbed a secondborn daughter, made her concubine. Killed first wife shortly before kid got poo poo out and married the Princess. poo poo out a few rugrats and set them up as Norse Emperor of Byzantium.

My current heir will inherit both Brittania which consists of a shitload of land and Byzantium which is Greece and Asia Minor. Somehow during this timeframe a random kinsmen took the duchy of Jerusalem. Looking around the area I found the lone Muslim kinsmen whose entire family tree consists of a single father->son inheritance for a few generations. 100% decadence. The entire Romuva, Norse and Orthodox lines contribute towards his decadence.

I'm thinking of restoring Roman Empire with my Norse guy if that is even possible. I think it might be an Orthodox Greek choice only.

YouTuber fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Feb 1, 2014

• Locked thread