Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

edit: also why is Wolverine in both the Old and New covers? One of the best aspects of First Class was it was the only X-Men movie so far which wasn't focused on Wolverine, but it seems Days of Future Past might be undoing that

Wolverine's the one being sent back in time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

edit: also why is Wolverine in both the Old and New covers? One of the best aspects of First Class was it was the only X-Men movie so far which wasn't focused on Wolverine, but it seems Days of Future Past might be undoing that

They are undoing that. Wolverine is the main character of Days of Future Past.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
In other news here's a bunch of alternative posters to Her ShortList Magazine commissioned. They're all varying degrees of bad.

Tumblr-level bullshit

Bad mish-mash of ideas

Ugly

Easily the most visually-striking of this batch, but Samantha not having a body is kind of the point of the movie

Indie as gently caress

:effort:

Painful to look at

This is the worst idea for a poster I've seen in a while

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Baron Bifford posted:

I can imagine them inflating her boobs, but why would they stretch her arms? Since when are long arms sexy?

I'm fat as hell and I'm only attracted to women who can successfully hug me.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Bad mish-mash of ideas

Ugly

Easily the most visually-striking of this batch, but Samantha not having a body is kind of the point of the movie

I like these. Who cares if she doesn't have a body in the movie? The poster is conveying an idea.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Bad mish-mash of ideas

:butt:

So there's that, I guess.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

Wendell posted:

I like these. Who cares if she doesn't have a body in the movie? The poster is conveying an idea.

The biggest problem with a lot of alternate and fan posters is honestly that they don't reflect the tone of the movie, but instead try and include elements that vaguely attach to the theme. The heart with glasses is exactly this for me, and the second one you included just screams "sad indie movie" without actually conveying more about it. As for the body, yes I understand the idea, but I think the fact that we don't ever see any imagery or representation of Samantha is very important to the film, and seeing a poster with some kind of possible-look for her actually would impact how you see Samantha while watching the movie.

I actually love the original poster;

It might seem like a quite lazy poster, to just have the star of the film's face, but his expression, look, and the colour of the poster really do reflect the tone of the film and conveys something about the type of character Joaquin is playing. And I'd also argue that all of the women credited in that poster are bigger mainstream stars at this point in their career than Joaquin, so showing them would take the easy way out. Almost any other romantic poster would have the female lead in the poster as well, but by having her noticeably missing when the poster says "A Spike Jonze Love Story" is intriguing and hints at the theme of loneliness, and also the obvious fact that Samantha can't really be with Joaquin. They've also intentionally avoided the sci-fi aspect entirely, a clearly deliberate choice, where most of these alternate posters don't have the sense to be that subtle.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
Thank you for that post. I loved that original poster despite it just being a big head. I considered why before and reached many of the same conclusions as you but you articulated better than I could. :)

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Bad mish-mash of ideas

This looks like it should be the poster for a Sir Mix-A-Lot biopic.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

I didn't realise it was kosher to make movie posters in Minecraft.

Yeti Yeti Yeti
Mar 27, 2010

I think this one's okay, though the heart is kinda cheesy and the typography is not great; at least this one kinda conveys the tone of the film. I'd probably like this a lot if it fixed the typography and used a still from the film instead of a hand-drawn image.

I think the movie is kinda a difficult to design a poster for; it doesn't help that there's not a whole lot you can do design-wise with the title—"her" isn't a very aesthetically pleasing word.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Vagabundo posted:

This looks like it should be the poster for a Sir Mix-A-Lot biopic.

It reminds me of the Polish Aliens poster.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The Joy of Her

An Artificial Guide To Lovemaking

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Bad mish-mash of ideas

Ugly

I like these two probably more than the real poster, though the first would be a million times better without the glasses. The pixelated decaying heart is more than enough imagery.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Baron Bifford posted:

I thought Xavier in First Class was the most likable character in the whole series.

If it weren't for those useless mutant recruits being involved First Class would probably been perfect (as far as super hero films go) but god drat if I wasn't super invested in what Magneto had going on. All the scenes that focused on him were fantastic in a way I would love to see again but seriously doubt I will.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
RE:First Class, I know we're not supposed to think too hard about how stupid superhero movies are but it just loving killed me when all the mutants are just standing there about to get blown up by the Cuban missile crisis and it's supposed to be tense and you're uncertain how they're going to escape their fate when the guy who can literally teleport people hundreds of miles away with zero effort is just standing there.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

The biggest problem with a lot of alternate and fan posters is honestly that they don't reflect the tone of the movie, but instead try and include elements that vaguely attach to the theme. The heart with glasses is exactly this for me, and the second one you included just screams "sad indie movie" without actually conveying more about it. As for the body, yes I understand the idea, but I think the fact that we don't ever see any imagery or representation of Samantha is very important to the film, and seeing a poster with some kind of possible-look for her actually would impact how you see Samantha while watching the movie.

I actually love the original poster;

It might seem like a quite lazy poster, to just have the star of the film's face, but his expression, look, and the colour of the poster really do reflect the tone of the film and conveys something about the type of character Joaquin is playing. And I'd also argue that all of the women credited in that poster are bigger mainstream stars at this point in their career than Joaquin, so showing them would take the easy way out. Almost any other romantic poster would have the female lead in the poster as well, but by having her noticeably missing when the poster says "A Spike Jonze Love Story" is intriguing and hints at the theme of loneliness, and also the obvious fact that Samantha can't really be with Joaquin. They've also intentionally avoided the sci-fi aspect entirely, a clearly deliberate choice, where most of these alternate posters don't have the sense to be that subtle.

Plus in the film itself, the frame is taken up primarily by his face about 50% of the time.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
So from what I can guess from those other posters, it's about a dude falling in love with his computer or an AI or something? 'Cos if so that's kinda cool..

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Shoehead posted:

So from what I can guess from those other posters, it's about a dude falling in love with his computer or an AI or something? 'Cos if so that's kinda cool..

It's an incredibly good movie about a guy falling in love with an AI, yeah.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Mondo is doing a bunch of Disney posters for an Austin gallery and this is the first one they've released. I know people hate them around here, but I'd love to get this for a kid's room. It's busy like all the rest, but it's filled with characters from the movie instead of just random stuff.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
How does it weigh up to the Black Mirror episode which has an extremely similar plot? Anyone seen it?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Baron Bifford posted:

I thought Xavier in First Class was the most likable character in the whole series.

First Class Xavier is the definition of White Privilege.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Dissapointed Owl posted:

How does it weigh up to the Black Mirror episode which has an extremely similar plot? Anyone seen it?

They're both very good. Go and see Her.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

computer parts posted:

First Class Xavier is the definition of White Privilege.

Finally, a character I can relate to.

Mr. Flunchy posted:

They're both very good. Go and see Her.

Good enough for me, thanks!

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Ariza posted:

Mondo is doing a bunch of Disney posters for an Austin gallery and this is the first one they've released. I know people hate them around here, but I'd love to get this for a kid's room. It's busy like all the rest, but it's filled with characters from the movie instead of just random stuff.

Being busy kind of works for Alice in Wonderland at least, since it changes setting and characters every 10 minutes.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!

This is a Mondo poster I like. See? It does happen from time to time.

I'm aware of how much fashion models and, well, everything is Photoshopped to hell and back but every other photograph we see in here gets critiqued as if it's a drawing with lousy proportions. This is a trick of perspective (and an incredibly obvious one) that is accentuated by the little bit of boob swelling and waist slimming they did.

I would be seriously surprised if anyone making these posters sat down and said, "You know what? Her arms just aren't long enough."

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Not a fan of the color schemes on that poster but I'm excited to see what the others look like.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Vagabundo posted:

Well, I certainly didn't and that does change some things about the poster.

Also, new poster for Noah.

What angle is he standing at?

Rosscifer posted:

Gladiator built a boat.
Took me a while to remember where I'd seen that pose before:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xK6Tjfsr2Y

ShufflerZero
Mar 21, 2009

38: At the risk of causing a derail, have some classy train posters

Last Train from Gun Hill

3:10 to Yuma

the Great Train Robbery

the Great K & A Train Robbery

the First Great Train Robbery

the Train Robbers

Stop Train 349

Night Train to Munich

the Inglorious Bastards

Von Ryan's Express

the Train

Strangers on a Train (no train, extra class)

ShufflerZero fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Feb 2, 2014

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Related:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
What in the world.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Yodzilla posted:

What in the world.

That poster raises many more questions than it has answers for, but I'll go with the easy one: why are they making this poster now for film to be released in 2015?

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
I would love to read the prospectus for that film. I wonder if he includes a budget line item for the 278 million dollars it will cost in restitution for abusing all that IP without license.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Random Stranger posted:

That poster raises many more questions than it has answers for, but I'll go with the easy one: why are they making this poster now for film to be released in 2015?

And why is Tara Reid the star?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

effectual posted:

And why is Tara Reid the star?

Because those nipples will scare the hell out of you.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

I wish there was some way to automatically play the theme from the movie so you could get the full Taking of Pelham 123 experience from the poster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-WYm9nl32Q

:feelsgood:

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

ShufflerZero posted:

the Inglorious Bastards

Von Ryan's Express

the Train

And another for the same movie (but with a different title)

Also

Old "men-on-a-mission-movie" posters are the best posters.

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Feb 2, 2014

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

I have this poster on my kitchen wall. It is drat awesome. I have never watched the movie.

AndyP
Nov 7, 2011

So it's like a film version of Rise of the Triad then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

This thread was the first I heard of Anna Paquin being cut from Days of Future Past, since I haven't really been following it. That kind of sucks and is surprising, since the film is basically selling itself on having the entire cast return, and she was one of the lead characters in the first movie.

Singer said that they cut her big action scene, but that she is still in the movie.