Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Sergio Aragones

(Sergio Aragones Funnies #6, Dec. 2011)

(Written by Sergio Aragones, Drawn by Jack Davis. Mad #237, March 1983)

Don Martin Dept. (Mad #110, April 1967)

Thorn (January 30-31, 1984)

No, that last strip is not an edit. It really was published like that.

Lucky Cow (April 11, 2004)

That's a really well done "noir" effect. Mark Pett knows how to draw.

Breetai posted:

Edit: Al Jaffe just to illustrate what I'm talking about. SUPER NWS

1.:nws:http://i.imgur.com/956OMpC:nws:
2.:nws:http://i.imgur.com/7GkEdxi:nws:
3.:nws:http://i.imgur.com/Sxo3eq5:nws:

Man, those are awesome! I really need to build up my MAD collection. Off to eBay, I guess!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Breetai posted:

These are amazing. I inherited a bunch of late-'70's/early-'80's MAD from a family friend, and it blew my 8-year-old mind. I'm still astounded that so many of the issues from the Gaines era managed to have wall-to-wall tits, butts, and depiction of intravenous drug use (see the Mad Rock Issue for a sterling example) or just really, really dark humour.

My uncle had an enormous pile of 70s-era Mad Magazines in his guest room that I read voraciously as a kid and I think they did a good job of informing my sense of humor.

RandomFerret posted:

A JOKE SO WEAK ANDY DICK SPOTS IT AT THE GYM.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

That was a good burn.

kazz
Feb 27, 2007

Black Bean has a tendency to stare and likes to hide.

What kind of moron asks a toddler to watch another toddler?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Office Hours

Literally my reaction every time my boss asks if we can "have a chat."

Does "Office Hours" also mean "Battered Women" in Finnish or something?

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Keith Knight drew this "Pluggers" parody:

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moomin's Winter Follies

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Breetai posted:

Edit: Al Jaffe just to illustrate what I'm talking about. SUPER NWS

1.:nws:http://i.imgur.com/956OMpC:nws:
2.:nws:http://i.imgur.com/7GkEdxi:nws:
3.:nws:http://i.imgur.com/Sxo3eq5:nws:

MAD Magazine always did have a distinctive smell. I can almost smell it right now, looking at those pages.

Lizzie is almost twice that child's age! There is no reason she could not have made a competent babysitter for him. She is just being a lazy ingrate.

Luann

Is her power going to turn out to be feminine wiles? Is that why she's putting on lipstick?

Apartment 3-G

The look on that thing's face says, "Dear God, the blonde one really thinks I'm the other one's offspring, doesn't it?"

Pros & Cons

Sally Forth

The Amazing Spider-Man

Quit arguing and help TripleJ into the rad new leg of the plot Iron Man Suit!

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

Quit arguing and help TripleJ into the rad new leg of the plot Iron Man Suit!
It's disappointing that JJJ is about to make history, and yet the Marvel Wiki's page on Newspaper Spider-Man is a single sentence.

e: And there's no page for Clown 9. Those nerds have their priorities all mixed up.

Darthemed fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Feb 1, 2014

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

Is her power going to turn out to be feminine wiles? Is that why she's putting on lipstick?
She's going to report Les for acting in self-defense? What was he supposed to do? I mean Knute's the one who just grappled him from behind and Les just punched him back and walked off. And why are they insisting on pursuing and harassing Les some more? God this comic.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Everett True
March 19 & 20, 1918

Everett True using his umbrella for something other than beating people? :monocle:

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

RandomFerret posted:

Okay, he's definitely just making stuff up now.

In fact, I bet that's his whole trick. He's going to make more and more outlandish claims until she goes home to write a story about how everybody should stay out of the Deep Woods unless they want to run into a village of total jerks who will go to great lengths to mess with tourists.

I want to believe he went to Avalon and pried Excalibur from the Lady of the Lake's hands.

Really Pants posted:

Does "Office Hours" also mean "Battered Women" in Finnish or something?

Vastaanottoaika is literally "receiving time", so close enough

R Ubbish
Apr 15, 2013

Julet Esqu posted:

Apartment 3-G

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Midnight Moth posted:

She's going to report Les for acting in self-defense? What was he supposed to do? I mean Knute's the one who just grappled him from behind and Les just punched him back and walked off. And why are they insisting on pursuing and harassing Les some more? God this comic.

He must be properly punished for having to pee.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

SubNat posted:

Moomin's Winter Follies

Holy cats, such violence among the Moomins...

Skippy (October 21-23, 1926)

Of course he had to put the mustache on. Haven't you ever disguised yourself for the phone?

Humanoid Female
Mar 13, 2008

tiistai posted:

I want to believe he went to Avalon and pried Excalibur from the Lady of the Lake's hands.

Since he has an original manuscript of the Song of Roland and Excalibur, I'm gonna go with the theory that he met Alan Moore's Orlando after faking his way into some sort of get-together for immortal comic book characters.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Speaking of being punished for having to pee...

Pakled posted:

Everett True

He just snapped that man's neck over the back of the seat. :ohdear:

Juliet Jones

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

I hope we continue taking one more step back every day revealing more and more people spying on this conversation.

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

Johnny Hazard

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Zippy "Two Sheds" the Pinhead.

Nancy

Momma

Wee Pals

Andertoons

Four Eyes

Arlo and Janis

Couple of things wrong with this here comic, and none of them bode well for me continuing to post it.

Lost Side of Suburbia

Oh hey, Heavenly Nostrils shoutout. Neat. Now should I be thumbnailing this? It is large, but vertically so instead of horizontally.

Zachary Nixon Johnson

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Julet Esqu posted:

Big Ben Bolt

drat, that's a fine oil derrick.

Wanamingo posted:

Zachary Nixon Johnson

Well, that's some unfortunate anatomy. And boots.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Modesty Blaise

In the introduction, O'Donnell mentioned he never thought something like this would happen, but then Katrina blew in about 32 years after this story.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

The answer posted:

The statue is located on the second floor. A thief could cut a hole in the floor from below and steal the statue without crossing the lasers.

Slylock Fox

Slylock, Slylock. Getting the police to do your dirty work of pursuing and apprehending the criminals? What happened to all that vigilante bravado chasing the crooks on your motorbike and sneaking into the trunks of stolen vehicles?

Moose and Molly

That actually looks kinda gross and what is Moose holding in his hand?

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Wanamingo posted:

Lost Side of Suburbia

Oh hey, Heavenly Nostrils shoutout. Neat. Now should I be thumbnailing this? It is large, but vertically so instead of horizontally.

Zachary Nixon Johnson

Marigold! Very cool! I don't have a problem with the size. There's no table breakage so I'm cool with it. I'm reading the thread in 1280x800 and it works fine. I realize though, that on some smaller devices it may be an issue.

Really starting to get into Zachary Nixon Johnson, too! Thanks for that!

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

As death grips her addled brain, Nancy slips further into pangs of repentance. Time dilates, hours and days lapping at the shores of her rapidly dimming consciousness, and the synaptic connections collapse her visions gradually morph into an incoherent circus of cheery gratitude and patriotic good intent. Soon will arrive the eternal chaos. Nancy will receive retribution.

The final erasure will never come.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Left! :downs:

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Wait, which way is the bus pointing? Or is that the puzzle?

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Really starting to get into Zachary Nixon Johnson, too! Thanks for that!

I'm wanting to like the comic, but as Darthemed pointed out the art is... kind of offputting. That face is the last panel was horrible.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Wanamingo posted:

Zachary Nixon Johnson

That lady has the weirdest lower half. It must be really hard to walk when your torso is mismatched with a giant set of legs.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Wanamingo posted:

Wait, which way is the bus pointing? Or is that the puzzle?

Ask yourself which side of the bus the door is usually on.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Ask yourself which side of the bus the door is usually on.

I'm smart. :downs:

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Wanamingo posted:

Lost Side of Suburbia

Also the thing in the lower left has Poncho form Pooch Cafe on his tie. I also don't mind it not being thumbnailed, as you noted, it's vertical.

Man, Morrie Turner was awesome.

catlord fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Feb 1, 2014

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
I mentioned that several of Mad's "Usual Gang of Idiots" has done newspaper strips. I figure I'd show some.

Benchley (1984-1986)
Drawn by Mort Drucker (scripts by Jerry Dumas)

Benchley was an assistant to then-president Ronald Reagan. Despite the White House setting, it didn't go beyond making dumb jokes about politicians and current events. Jerry Dumas was, at the time, one of the writers for Mort Walker. It was well-drawn, at least, and the Reagan caricature was spot-on.

Lancelot (1970-1972)
Drawn by Paul Coker Jr. (scripts by Frank "Penn" Ridgeway)

About a newly wed couple. The title character is an rear end in a top hat husband who pushes his wife around.

I really love Paul Coker Jr.'s artwork. Anyone who grew up watching those Rankin-Bass Christmas specials should be familiar with his design work. He was responsible for the look of Frosty the Snowman, the Miser Bros., and other characters. He pretty much defined the studio's style.

Tall Tales (1958-1966)
By Al Jaffee

No recurring characters, just a series of gags. The gimmick was the "tall" format. It was sold to newspapers as a way to fill up empty space in newspapers. There were many strips that was sold as fillers. In fact, "Peanuts" was one of them.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

What's he looking so sad about? I'd love a grape juice volcano.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Wanamingo posted:

Lost Side of Suburbia

That's totally an Oompa-Loompa and the Keebler Elf at the table there.

R Ubbish
Apr 15, 2013

Julet Esqu posted:

Radio Patrol vs Rip Kirby

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

That's an interesting change of pace. Usually we see Brooke's characters demonstrating their third leg.

Pibgorn

Brooke must be trying out a new line of rejection letter envelopes.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Wanamingo posted:

Lost Side of Suburbia

If Ben and Jerry's isn't already working on Cherry Pratchett's Discwhirl flavor, they should be.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (May 10, 1924)

This is weird. There was an earlier strip not too long ago that showed boys running to watch the circus come to town, one of whom was holding his pants up because he had been relieving himself when word came. This is a wild west show, and there's no mention of peeing, but there's still a kid holding up his pants. Looks like Williams wasn't above recycling strips.

Want to know what else is weird?

Lio speaks!

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Gil

Give her a hug too.

Retail

Has Marla even been looking for a new assistant or is she just expecting one to just walk in the store like Mina did? And didn't she tell Josh that she "should have no problem replacing you in this economy" when he asked for a raise? What happened to that arrogance, Marla?

Bleeker the Rechargeable Dog

Owned! Someone should bribe Refurb to hang out behind trees and bushes and stuff and scare people all day and film it for YouTube.

Not Retail

drat crafty retail clerks! Always trying to pull a fast one!

On the Fastrack

Ba-dum tish :rimshot:

Safe Havens

Oh it's on. No items, five stock, Final Destination.

Midnight Moth fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Feb 1, 2014

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

And I'll go ahead and post these for the time being. I do actually enjoy them and I can't believe I didn't notice they hadn't been posted in a while.

Mary Worth

Rex Morgan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Wanamingo posted:

Couple of things wrong with this here comic, and none of them bode well for me continuing to post it.

The movie is "Butt Light 2". Hope that helps.

Wanamingo posted:

Zachary Nixon Johnson

Speaking of butts, yours is completely separate from your body, ma'am.

don Jaime posted:

Lio speaks!

AND NOW LIO DIES. OBEY THE CODE OF SILENCE OR ELSE.

• Locked thread