Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

If we're recommending comics, I'm going to put out a vote for Knights of the Old Republic, because it's full of adventures, mishaps, derring-do and fun.

I honestly didn't like Legacy at all. I found Cade to be a major rear end in a top hat, cut straight out of the nineties "brooding violent antihero" cloth, and the rest of the cast is little better. It's basically the same story Ostrander wrote when he was doing Republic: A loose cannon Jedi roams around hunting a Sith lord, murdering people and making Tough Decisions, while trying to keep his poo poo together while eyeballs deep in the Dark Side. At least Quinlan Vos wasn't a raging rear end in a top hat.

Now Ostrander's writing Dawn of the Jedi. I read the first issue, which I recall was about a loose cannon Jedi setting out for revenge. I didn't pick up the second issue.

I should read more Legacy vol. 2, though. It's Ostrander-free, and the main character seems a lot cooler.

On a more book-related note, I read Starfighters of Adumar today and concluded Aaron Allston is awesome. I'm going to pick up Mercy Kill next, but after that, I'm a bit lost. I've gathered the Legacy of the Force and Fate of the Jedi aren't exactly stellar series, but are Allston's novels good enough to make reading the series worth it? I guess I could also go back to Zahn, since I haven't read his standalone novels yet, only the Thrawn trilogy and the Hand duology.

Edit:

McGann posted:

I'd second that. I found Republic/Empire/Rebellion to be great overall, and was sad to see it (at least IMO) cancelled prematurely.
Technically, the Dark Times series is direct continuation to Republic: It even continues the series numbering on the inside. It's pretty good, too!

Siivola fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jan 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

Siivola posted:

I honestly didn't like Legacy at all. I found Cade to be a major rear end in a top hat.

I agree that he was a giant rear end in a top hat but that's why I kind of liked him. Instead of the noble Jedi who fights for the good and just and "the light side is better because, reasons" like most Star Wars protagonists, we got a self-serving drug addict who only fights the Sith because he's not a total dick and recognizes hes the only one who can. He struck me as a guy who didn't really give a poo poo, but wasn't so socially stunted that he could stand by and watch genocide happen.

To each their own of course, but I felt he was a breath of fresh air when it comes to the standard Jedi hero.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Metal Loaf posted:

I'd be inclined to include Outbound Flight and Survivor's Quest, since they have some relevance to Zahn's whole Thrawn arc and I remember finding them fun to read.

I love Outbound Flight. I think it's probably Zahn's best-written Star Wars book. I really dug the characters, plot, and setting. I'd also recommend Scoundrels - it's something completely different from any other Star Wars book of Zahn's, but it really shines for it. It's definitely a sort of Ocean's 11 with Han, Chewie, Lando, and friends.

Siivola posted:

Technically, the Dark Times series is direct continuation to Republic: It even continues the series numbering on the inside. It's pretty good, too!

Emphasis on 'technically', the only thing it continues from Republic is that it's a sequel to the last Republic story arc which was written by the same author to set up the new series. I thought the first few volumes of Dark Times was really great, but it got into a rut around the time of the third or fourth one (the one where Jennir is fighting the gangs on the water planet) and never really recovered, and that's also around the time that some of the character development started to be really questionable to me.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
The Knights of the Old Republic comic series (the one starring Zayne Carrick, not whatever tie-ins they made for the MMO) is fantastic as well. It pretty much hits all the right notes for a classic star wars adventure in a galaxy at war.

Edit: Plus, it has the Moomo brothers

Slashrat fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jan 19, 2014

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
DT was derailed especially badly by the Vector crossover. With the possible exception of KOTOR (because at least concepts such as ancient Sith Lords and the rakghoul plague were established things there), it didn't go terribly well in any of its constituent parts, but Dark Times really took the brunt of it (the main cast were sidelined in favour of Darth Vader and Celeste Morne, and one of them was killed off when it seemed like she still had a story to tell).

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
Dark Times had some kickass art during the first few issues though. I think it was done by Douglas Wheatley if I remember correctly. Might have been Brian Ching. They both did Star Wars comics and have somewhat similar styles so I get them mixed up.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Esroc posted:

To each their own of course, but I felt he was a breath of fresh air when it comes to the standard Jedi hero.

It probably depends entirely on what you've read before. Plenty of authors have done "brooding Jedi antiheros" in various media (Kyle Katarn, anyone?) so if Legacy is your first exposure to it then it's probably pretty rad, but if you're on brooding jedi #341 it's probably worn a bit thin.

Siivola posted:

On a more book-related note, I read Starfighters of Adumar today and concluded Aaron Allston is awesome. I'm going to pick up Mercy Kill next, but after that, I'm a bit lost. I've gathered the Legacy of the Force and Fate of the Jedi aren't exactly stellar series, but are Allston's novels good enough to make reading the series worth it? I guess I could also go back to Zahn, since I haven't read his standalone novels yet, only the Thrawn trilogy and the Hand duology.

If you've read SoA but not Wraith Squadron, Iron Fist, or Solo Command, don't get Mercy Kill yet. Chronologically it's post-FotJ and you'll spoil all 3 of those books for yourself because it picks up characters from all 3 of the above, and spoiling any of those 3 without having read them would be criminal. :colbert:

e: Also honestly I'd say it's not as good as WS/IF/SC? Mercy Kill is still a fair ways ahead of most of the EU authors, but it reads more as a "happily-ever-after" sort of epilogue for (most) of the OCs Allston added for his Wraith Squadron arc. Which is pretty loving cool, don't get me wrong, but it felt a bit off compared to the WS stuff. (This may have something to do with it being written in the generally-lovely FotJ universe.)

Alliterate Addict fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jan 20, 2014

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ursine Asylum posted:

It probably depends entirely on what you've read before. Plenty of authors have done "brooding Jedi antiheros" in various media (Kyle Katarn, anyone?) so if Legacy is your first exposure to it then it's probably pretty rad, but if you're on brooding jedi #341 it's probably worn a bit thin.

I really liked Quinlan Vos, but Cade struck me as a somewhat less successful attempt to capture lightning in a bottle. Meanwhile two of the first Star Wars comics I ever read were the "Outlander" and "Emissaries To Malastare" story arcs in Republic and, again, I was dead keen on A'Sharad Hett, so it was disappointing that he turned out to be the big bad in Legacy.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
So I guess somebody floated a rumor that the Boba Fett one-shot film will be about a guy who kills Boba Fett at the beginning of the film and then takes up his name and armor.

I'm for this if just to piss off Karen Traviss even further.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I asked in response to the imposter Boba tangent whether there were any good books with the dude in the CD thread, but nobody seemed interested - but maybe that was an implicit testament to the quality of Boba Fett material.

I read the BH trilogy as a kid, which wasn't very good but for the most part gave me what I wanted (and a whole lot of side filler). So anything out there remotely decent centered around the dude? I could do with some brain neutral pulp right now.

Devol_Tettran
Sep 3, 2011

Clever Betty

api call girl posted:

So I guess somebody floated a rumor that the Boba Fett one-shot film will be about a guy who kills Boba Fett at the beginning of the film and then takes up his name and armor.

Providing this is set before the OT and Boba gets his 'proper' voice back, I'm cool with this.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rinkles posted:

I asked in response to the imposter Boba tangent whether there were any good books with the dude in the CD thread, but nobody seemed interested - but maybe that was an implicit testament to the quality of Boba Fett material.

I read the BH trilogy as a kid, which wasn't very good but for the most part gave me what I wanted (and a whole lot of side filler). So anything out there remotely decent centered around the dude? I could do with some brain neutral pulp right now.

John Wagner (creator of Judge Dredd) wrote a couple of comics which had him as the main character. They were okay.

The anthology book Tales of the Bounty Hunters has a pretty good story by Daniel Keys Moran called "The Last One Standing".

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Rinkles posted:

? I could do with some brain neutral pulp right now.

There was a young adult novel series based on Boba based from Jangos death till getting started working with Jabba as far as EU material goes its actually not bad at all and does serve to flesh out the character without fellating him.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Metal Loaf posted:

John Wagner (creator of Judge Dredd) wrote a couple of comics which had him as the main character. They were okay.

The anthology book Tales of the Bounty Hunters has a pretty good story by Daniel Keys Moran called "The Last One Standing".

"Twin Engines of Destruction" is a pretty cool comic story about an impostor claiming to be Boba Fett. Of course the real Boba goes on his trail, and awesomeness ensues.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Rinkles posted:

Basically the only good (Boba) Fett stories are the Daniel Keys Moran short stories. Incidentally the only good Jango Fett story is the comic Open Seasons, which partly exists to transpose some of the Moran backstory of Boba onto Jango after the prequels came out and invalidated them.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Moran also wrote the best story in Tales From the Mos Eisley Cantina ("Empire Blues: The Devaronian's Tale").

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
How many Boba-Fetts would it take to kill 5 Han Solos and 5 Chewbaccas? :psyboom:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Thanks for the suggestions. In the brief period I read SW books I remember always wanting to get a hold of Tales of the Bounty Hunters but for whatever reason never did. That's exactly the sort of thing I was looking for.

Might finally read the Thrawn books if I catch the bug again - I couldn't get past the first 50 pages or so first time trying.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

JakeP posted:

How many Boba-Fetts would it take to kill 5 Han Solos and 5 Chewbaccas? :psyboom:

Wouldn't that be one Han and Chewie and four Haans and Cheewies?

Does that silly clone name stretching ever appear again after the original Thrawn books?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Rinkles posted:

Thanks for the suggestions. In the brief period I read SW books I remember always wanting to get a hold of Tales of the Bounty Hunters but for whatever reason never did. That's exactly the sort of thing I was looking for.

Might finally read the Thrawn books if I catch the bug again - I couldn't get past the first 50 pages or so first time trying.

Honestly, I would recommend the audiobooks for the Thrawn trilogy, even if you aren't an audiobook listener usually. The new audiobooks read by Marc Thompson are unabridged and are absolutely fantastic - they have music, sound effects, voice filters (for droid voices like 3P0), etc. that really make it seem like you're just listening to a Star Wars movie. It's a totally new way to experience the EU that I strongly recommend, and I hope most of the good books get this treatment eventually. X-Wing audiobooks might be the greatest art ever created by man, if they are eventually made.

Chairman Capone posted:

Does that silly clone name stretching ever appear again after the original Thrawn books?

It depends on how they were cloned I suppose. If it was done serially then you'd have Han, Haan, Haaan, Haaaan, and Haaaaan :getin:

Edit: Has anyone ever listened to the Fate of the Jedi audiobooks? I know that the FotJ line of books is really bad, but they are unabridged and all read by Marc Thompson...if they're all done in theatrical style like the Thrawn trilogy I might have to listen to the geriatric adventures of Skywalker & the Solos anyway.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jan 22, 2014

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Chairman Capone posted:

I don't think so? But honestly if you're going to write action sequences of clone vs clone, I'd rather have "Capone" and "Caapone" vs. 30 pages of "Capone", "the other Capone", "the cloned Capone", "his opponent", etc etc because god drat that would get unreadable fast.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Siivola posted:

Slight derail: Aaron Allston writes the best "buddy" novels. If you can track down a copy of Double Jeopardy, his Car Wars book, snatch it up.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Jazerus posted:

Edit: Has anyone ever listened to the Fate of the Jedi audiobooks? I know that the FotJ line of books is really bad, but they are unabridged and all read by Marc Thompson...if they're all done in theatrical style like the Thrawn trilogy I might have to listen to the geriatric adventures of Skywalker & the Solos anyway.
Being that they were the flagship title at the time they went all out on them.

Autodrop Monteur
Nov 14, 2011

't zou verboden moeten worden!
Started reading Legacy Volume 2 recently and I rather like it.
I was a bit wary when Ania picked up a lightsaber, but that quickly passed when her first reaction was to sell the drat thing. :dance:

I'd recommend reading this if you want more Han Solo like action and story.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Finally found the time to finish Mercy Kill, and it was just as good as Allston's previous X-Wing books. It took me a while to get into the second generation Wraiths, especially since the viewpoint was so focused on Voort, but on the other hand it was great to really get inside Piggy's head.

Next up, I think I'm going to take a break from all this military hoo-hah and pick up Kenobi. I loved John Jackson Miller's work in the KotOR comic series, and my hopes are pretty high. It's a lightsaber western!

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Is there really NOTHING Star Wars going on right now? I wish I had something more interesting to add than this, which I secretly really want but would not ever wear outside of my house.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

McGann posted:

Is there really NOTHING Star Wars going on right now? I wish I had something more interesting to add than this, which I secretly really want but would not ever wear outside of my house.

As far as I'm aware, here is the upcoming Star Wars stuff:

-Books: The Darth Maul: Lockdown novel (by the author of Death Troopers) just came out a few days ago. The next one is James S. A. Corey's Han Solo novel, which will be out in early March. After that, there is no other Star Wars novel scheduled for release, although they claim the Luke Skywalker novel will still be released sometime next year.

-Comics: There is currently The Star Wars, Legacy Volume II, Dawn of the Jedi, another Darth Vader miniseries, with a Darth Maul miniseries and an OT-era Han/Leia/Luke miniseries beginning soon. Starting in April the current series will be winding down, and the last Dark Horse issues will be released in August. Between then and December they will be collected in the last trades. So far Marvel hasn't announced any of their new series.

-TV: This summer the last 13 Clone Wars episodes will be released (which apparently includes a storyline where clones use Inception technology to discover Order 66, and Yoda goes to the Sith homeworld, which they renamed from Korriban to Moriband...ugh). Then starting this fall the Rebels series is going to debut.

That's about it for what's currently going on.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Chairman Capone posted:

-Comics: There is currently The Star Wars

-TV: Yoda goes to the Sith homeworld, which they renamed from Korriban to Moriband...ugh).

So, how is The Star Wars (for anyone who is following it)? I thought about picking up a copy but haven't yet made that last step. I've heard reviews but only from places like TFN. Curious to hear the goon collective opinion.

And what the gently caress? Moriband? Why? I understand some minor name changing, but Korriban is pretty well documented in the EU as far as I know.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Star Wars Rebels? Are we finally getting the Clone Wars, but for the original trilogy? Because I've want THAT ever since the Clone Wars came out. It's not like Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher and Anthony Daniels are getting a lot of work these days, I'm sure they'd do it.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

McGann posted:

So, how is The Star Wars (for anyone who is following it)? I thought about picking up a copy but haven't yet made that last step. I've heard reviews but only from places like TFN. Curious to hear the goon collective opinion.

I like it. If you've ever read the original script draft online it's pretty similar, combined with McQuarrie art. It's a fun glimpse of just how different Star Wars could have been.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Star Wars Rebels? Are we finally getting the Clone Wars, but for the original trilogy? Because I've want THAT ever since the Clone Wars came out. It's not like Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher and Anthony Daniels are getting a lot of work these days, I'm sure they'd do it.

No, the show is going to focus on a bunch of teenagers rebelling against their parents to fly around the galaxy and fight the Empire 5 years before ANH.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Chairman Capone posted:

No, the show is going to focus on a bunch of teenagers rebelling against their parents to fly around the galaxy and fight the Empire 5 years before ANH.

Well, that's disappointing. You'd think it would be a no-brainer. Why not give us a Star Wars cartoon based on the Star Wars movies that people actually like? Surely you could probably think up a couple seasons of stories about Luke, Han and Leia that take place between A New Hope and Return of the Jedi.

Of course, if they were to make a show like this, they probably should have done it years ago when people were still really passionate about Star Wars. Now it's a little too late, I'd say.

Well, at least it's not another show about Droids or Ewoks.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Chairman Capone posted:

So they're all gonna be in Y-wings, right? Yesssssssss :holy:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Seriously, just focus on some normal goddamn Rebels fighting normal goddamn Imperials. Also, I have a sinking feeling alone about that TV series seeing the token bad dude Sith with lightsaber in some of the teaser screenshots.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

So they're all gonna be in Y-wings, right? Yesssssssss :holy:

And Z-95s :colbert:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

SeanBeansShako posted:

Seriously, just focus on some normal goddamn Rebels fighting normal goddamn Imperials. Also, I have a sinking feeling alone about that TV series seeing the token bad dude Sith with lightsaber in some of the teaser screenshots.

But he has a ring thing on his light saber. For some reason.

So this'll be the first bit of official media in the new canon, right?

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Rinkles posted:

But he has a ring thing on his light saber. For some reason.

If it's made out of that anti-lightsaber poo poo then that makes a hell of a lot more sense to me than saying "I've got a beam of pure light but please don't aim for my unprotected hand while we're dueling, thanks."

I mean lightsabers don't even have hand guards, you just slide your lightsaber up theirs when they parry and you've taken their fingers off.
    /
:spergin:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

It still looks pretty loving dumb.

And this is coming from a guy virtually gay for 19th century military fashion.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

astr0man posted:

And Z-95s :colbert:

Yeah, I guess they're all right too. I seriously love Y-wings though. My favorite Star Wars ship.

SeanBeansShako posted:

I loving hate your avatar.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Yeah, I guess they're all right too. I seriously love Y-wings though. My favorite Star Wars ship.

I loving hate your avatar.

Sit on ole' Sergeant Jackrums knee!

Seriously though, how hard is it just to do a CG cartoon series based on the Empire And Rebellion comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Ursine Asylum posted:

If it's made out of that anti-lightsaber poo poo then that makes a hell of a lot more sense to me than saying "I've got a beam of pure light but please don't aim for my unprotected hand while we're dueling, thanks.

Disney could always ignore that poo poo in their new lore. (Which would be pretty cool actually; metal blade vs. light saber fights looked really stupid in Kotor).

SeanBeansShako posted:

They're going for a different demographic, and their artists can't hold a candle to the concept guys of the originals (who can?).

I still think they could do better than a helmetless vader, who needs a gimmick lightsaber to stand out.