Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darko
Dec 23, 2004

GreenNight posted:

Chicago? Maybe in the series the main character will ride a zombie dinosaur.

Supernatural is Hellblazer; the spinoff being Dresden Files makes perfect sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Darko posted:

Supernatural is Hellblazer; the spinoff being Dresden Files makes perfect sense.

They seem to have John's family and loved ones have to suffer horribly and die trait down pretty well.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

What a strange car for Sam.

Even more strange, he just straight up left it in Wisconsin.

Even more stranger than that, he had nothing in the car at all, or just left it in the abandoned car.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Doctor Butts posted:

Even more stranger than that, he had nothing in the car at all, or just left it in the abandoned car.

meh, it was probably stolen

canadiantreefrog
Aug 26, 2006

Doctor Butts posted:

It's a 1970 Dodge Dart. My hubby was so distracted by that car that he couldn't pay attention to the show. It was the first car that he rebuilt - except his is orange.

Did anyone notice in the scene at the hospital reception that one of the people in the background looked like the same actor who played the one of the main Leviathans in season 6? The one who got the car dropped on him, this guy: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0553468/?ref_=tt_cl_t8

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
The guy who played the preacher looked really familiar as well. I think he might have been in an earlier season.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Darko posted:

I'm glad someone got the reference :allears:

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

The guy who played the preacher looked really familiar as well. I think he might have been in an earlier season.

That guy was so familiar I couldn't tell whether I recognized him because he was in an earlier season of Supernatural or it was just because he's in every show ever. One of the quintessential "that guys."

Google tells me, though, that yep, he was the dad in the scarecrow episode.

EDIT: hey speaking of Dresden Files, have we ever been to Faerie in Supernatural? Let's get some Dresden, Jonathan Strange, Little, Big, old-school fairy magic in the show.

DirtyRobot fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jan 31, 2014

devoir
Nov 16, 2007

DirtyRobot posted:

EDIT: hey speaking of Dresden Files, have we ever been to Faerie in Supernatural? Let's get some Dresden, Jonathan Strange, Little, Big, old-school fairy magic in the show.

Fairies appeared twice, I think. One beat up Dean and the other made out with Felicia Day.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

DirtyRobot posted:

Wasn't Oz said to be part of Faerie?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

canadiantreefrog posted:

It's a 1970 Dodge Dart. My hubby was so distracted by that car that he couldn't pay attention to the show. It was the first car that he rebuilt - except his is orange.

It was a strange car to me only in the sense that its not moose sized. You'd think Sam would drive around in something that wasn't compact (in comparison to the Impala).

Only thing I noticed was the old guy outside the hospital in the wheelchair smoking, every time they showed the Winchesters entering/exiting the hospital.

Super.Jesus
Oct 20, 2011

Kimmalah posted:

Well I mean Cain specifically says "The mark can be transferred to someone who's worthy." Which to me sounds like if Dean wasn't considered worthy by whatever power fuels the mark, it couldn't have been transferred at all.

Dean has killed a whole goddamn lot of people over the years. He's well into serial killer territory.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Super.Jesus posted:

Dean has killed a whole goddamn lot of people over the years. He's well into serial killer territory.

Honestly, it's a sentiment they kinda delved in season 3 that I wish wasn't dropped entirely.

To the outside world, these boys are scary crazy motherfuckers. Henricks was completely, one hundred per cent right in his suspicions based on the information he had. I know they're the heroes, but drat.

Edit: This weeks episode. Eh. It was alright. Dean was SO CLOSE to not being absolutely retarded about Sam and then he stopped right before he apologized for real. Frustrating.

cool kids inc. fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Feb 1, 2014

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

cool kids inc. posted:

Honestly, it's a sentiment they kinda delved in season 3 that I wish wasn't dropped entirely.

To the outside world, these boys are scary crazy motherfuckers. Henricks was completely, one hundred per cent right in his suspicions based on the information he had. I know they're the heroes, but drat.

Edit: This weeks episode. Eh. It was alright. Dean was SO CLOSE to not being absolutely retarded about Sam and then he stopped right before he apologized for real. Frustrating.

One of the things I wish they addressed more is Dean killing that mother/Sam's friend in s7 I think. I can't remember what it was and I know the kinda addressed it but I don't think Sam should have ever just let that go. Dean killed her because they were monsters and not because they were particularly bad. Just because he was sorta sad and angrier than normal at the time.

For all the Ruby's, demon juicing and soulless stuff Sam gets involved with, Dean tends to do way more horrible poo poo for selfish and stupid reasons.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Tokubetsu posted:

One of the things I wish they addressed more is Dean killing that mother/Sam's friend in s7 I think. I can't remember what it was and I know the kinda addressed it but I don't think Sam should have ever just let that go. Dean killed her because they were monsters and not because they were particularly bad. Just because he was sorta sad and angrier than normal at the time.

For all the Ruby's, demon juicing and soulless stuff Sam gets involved with, Dean tends to do way more horrible poo poo for selfish and stupid reasons.

The series gets real close to this realization but I don't think they've ever put two and two together: they've observed that many hunters are severely broken people drowning their sorrows in the kinda-metaphorical blood of monsters/ghosts/demons/etc.; most of the things they hunt are bad and deserve what they get but some of them are just victims of circumstance, and a few still even have a good nature/can overcome their inner darkness and lead good lives.

A lot of hunters are just this side of murderous psychopaths and they only get away with it because the things they're hunting just happen to be evil and inhuman... usually.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

hangedman1984 posted:

Wasn't Oz said to be part of Faerie?

Yeah, and that's a direction they need to go after this season because having something supernatural that isn't Judeo-Christian related would be nice. The old god stuff with Lucifer was cool. As boring as this last episode was, the idea of some werewolf cult trying to take over the world was different and interesting. They should do more of that type of stuff.

Saveron_01
Dec 27, 2004

Lawlicaust posted:

Yeah, and that's a direction they need to go after this season because having something supernatural that isn't Judeo-Christian related would be nice. The old god stuff with Lucifer was cool. As boring as this last episode was, the idea of some werewolf cult trying to take over the world was different and interesting. They should do more of that type of stuff.

Maybe it is a setup for the spinoff series? Laying the seeds so that we have some context for some of the motivations of the supernatural elements.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
It is too bad that they pretty much neutered all the non-Christian religions on the show.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Oasx posted:

It is too bad that they pretty much neutered all the non-Christian religions on the show.

Why? It's all ultimately just another thing for them to kill in the end, why does it matter if they give the nod to the Sons of Abraham or pretend that pantheism is a thing that is at all relevant?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

One thing that kinda sucks is they seem to be killing off/retiring a lot of the secondary characters. Besides Kevin, the stuff with Charlie and Garth seemed kinda final.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Astroman posted:

One thing that kinda sucks is they seem to be killing off/retiring a lot of the secondary characters. Besides Kevin, the stuff with Charlie and Garth seemed kinda final.

Garth is probably coming back in the near future, but they've been doing that since Season 5.

Saveron_01
Dec 27, 2004

Astroman posted:

There is a lot of collateral damage around the Winchesters.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Astroman posted:

Killing off secondary characters is kinda what this show does.

I mean just hunters: Bobby, Rufus, Jo, Ellen, Samuel, Ash

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

Spoeank posted:

Killing off secondary characters is kinda what this show does.

I mean just hunters: Bobby, Rufus, Jo, Ellen, Samuel, Ash

An entire bar full of hunters...

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The entire Campbell side of the family...

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Casting breakdown for some roles in the spin-off:

http://tvline.com/2014/02/02/supernatural-spinoff-characters-cast-tribes-the-cw/

Looks like they might be trying for a mob/Game of Thrones type thing? Five different families of monsters competing to rule Chicago and a hunter outside that mess. Looks like two of the families are Werewolves and Shapeshifters. Might be a chance to get the Alpha Vampire back as well? What would be the other two I wonder.

The biggest thing I think they really need to strive for, is make it different than the 4(?) other supernatural monster shows CW is currently airing. As it stands, it seems somewhat similar to The Originals.

Teek fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Feb 3, 2014

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

The entire Campbell side of the family...

The entire Winchester side of the family

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Any casting news yet?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

None yet.

http://tvline.com/2014/02/02/supernatural-spinoff-characters-cast-tribes-the-cw/

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

bobkatt013 posted:

The entire Winchester side of the family

Eh, that's not really a reach though. Sam and Dean are the last after their dad. Granpa was assumed dead until he showed up and got killed all in the same episode. Haven't heard about any cousins or anything on their side, and Adam was knocked off a few years back.

Maybe that's why Dean is always going on about WE ARE FAMILY cause... literally he has no other family.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

Teek posted:

Casting breakdown for some roles in the spin-off:

Looks like they might be trying for a mob/Game of Thrones type thing? Five different families of monsters competing to rule Chicago and a hunter outside that mess. Looks like two of the families are Werewolves and Shapeshifters. Might be a chance to get the Alpha Vampire back as well? What would be the other two I wonder.

The biggest thing I think they really need to strive for, is make it different than the 4(?) other supernatural monster shows CW is currently airing. As it stands, it seems somewhat similar to The Originals.

Could work. When was the last time we saw shapeshifters? they were terrifying in the earlier seasons. I agree though, it sounds like The Originals with more fueding sides.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
You know something I wish they would do which would be awesome? Put the Impala in the background of horror movies and tv shows as an easter egg. No Sam or Dean cameos necessary, just that black car cruising by in the background while the latest tween yells about how ghosts aren't real or that there's no such thing as werewolves/vampires/zombies, etc.

God, do I wish they'd do that. Maybe after the show is finished, to promote the spin-off. A girl can dream.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Tokubetsu posted:

Could work. When was the last time we saw shapeshifters? they were terrifying in the earlier seasons. I agree though, it sounds like The Originals with more fueding sides.

We last saw them in Season 6 with all of the Eve crap going on.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Tokubetsu posted:

Shape shifting is a nice power to have against normal people, but to monsters with extra senses, it seems less than useful.

They need to up the conspiracies, like the Men of Letters, those Nazis, covens, and some form of knights templar, I seriously doubt that religious zealots have not formed secret orders to deal with demons and witches. So I hope the new spinoff shows more humans being evil.

I basically want druids and bards and wizards to come into play here.

Femur fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Feb 4, 2014

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Boogaleeboo posted:

Why? It's all ultimately just another thing for them to kill in the end, why does it matter if they give the nod to the Sons of Abraham or pretend that pantheism is a thing that is at all relevant?

They've already established that other Gods are weak in comparison to angels, and most of the Gods have already been killed.

Saveron_01
Dec 27, 2004
Since power is counted in souls, older gods used to be much more powerful, but as their religions fall out of favor, they wane.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

Doctor Butts posted:

They've already established that other Gods are weak in comparison to angels, and most of the Gods have already been killed.

This would be less of a problem if they'd kept angels as super over-powered awesome beings like they are in e.g. Paradise Lost, where half the fallen angels actually do just become worshiped as gods of various pagan religions. But because the angels on the show have become less of a threat to the Winchesters, like any monster on the show, from shapeshifters to demons, the fact that literal gods are less powerful than angels is kind of silly.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
We haven't seen gods going against angels do we? I mean, the god were curbstomped by Lucifer but Lucifer is an Archangel and such he's on a enterily tier on his own. I do remember than the gods get their powers from worship and that's why they're weakened now.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
No, but the Winchesters killed Zeus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Some Numbers posted:

No, but the Winchesters killed Zeus.

They didn't kill Osiris though.