Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Slamhound posted:

Broad City is pretty great.

Yeah. Hannibal Buress' segments are still the best part, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
So, I was going to try and watch some of the Olympics, but the geniuses who built the website forgot to put time zones on anything, so I don't know when anything is.

Thanks, Obama Putin.

http://www.sochi2014.com/en

http://www.sochi2014.com/en/ice-hockey-schedule-and-results

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Joramun posted:

Figure skaters are literally dancing on knives.

Actually, this is literally dancing on knives:
http://vimeo.com/66721776

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rarity posted:

We won medals in equestrian, taekwondo and the men's gymnastics. Take that, world

:lol: Taekwondo? The Dennis Leary of martial arts?!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

smg77 posted:

The funniest thing about the London Olympics was that if you only watched NBC coverage you'd think women's beach volleyball was the biggest sport in the world. I swear they got more coverage than anything else combined.

When was the last time the Olympics had something resembling interesting coverage in the US? I remember being annoying at all the human interest puff pieces NBC played during the Atlanta games about all the vague, generic hardships that the American athlete had to overcome in order to be heavily favored to win the upcoming event. I don't remember that being a problem with the Seoul games but I was helping build a house while those were playing on a television in the background so I didn't see as much of them as I could. Maybe the '84 games were the last time the Olympics were watchable...

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Random Stranger posted:

When was the last time the Olympics had something resembling interesting coverage in the US? I remember being annoying at all the human interest puff pieces NBC played during the Atlanta games about all the vague, generic hardships that the American athlete had to overcome in order to be heavily favored to win the upcoming event. I don't remember that being a problem with the Seoul games but I was helping build a house while those were playing on a television in the background so I didn't see as much of them as I could. Maybe the '84 games were the last time the Olympics were watchable...

That's still pretty much it; we've at least gotten to the point technologically that we can watch individual events online if we really want, instead of waiting for the 'primetime coverage' that will be half-human interest stories and half-highlights.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Because heaven forbid Americans having to wait for the next skier to enter the gates. We have to cut them together immediately and not waste time!

Joramun posted:

Sorry but if it has to be judged (meaning the score is solely determined by a judge's score, not like hockey refs or rules judges), it's not a sport.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

I heard NBC actually did show a lot of stuff live in 1988. But the time difference was bad, and it was in late September.

CBS wasn't that much better in the 90's. They tape delayed most of their coverage, and in 1998, I remember they didn't show one particular American gold medal victory in skiing until nearly 24 hours after it happened.

e: Also in 1992 NBC and Cablevision collaborated to have live Olympic coverage via pay-per-view. It bombed hard:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympics_Triplecast

Vertical Lime fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jan 31, 2014

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Ah yes, the Olympic Triplecast. All I remember about it was the absolute flood of commercials they had for it, and that nobody actually subscribed to it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Random Stranger posted:

Atlanta did have the bombing

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Vertical Lime posted:

I heard NBC actually did show a lot of stuff live in 1988. But the time difference was bad, and it was in late September.

Yes, I remember this. There were all kinds of events on at hours like 2 AM to 5 AM. It made things very confusing, though it was certainly kinda cool as a kid to be surfing the 5 channels the TV in my room could pick up and seeing some random sports events.

Or maybe that was '84? Or maybe both times in the '80s? Also I'm thinking of Summer, not Winter, Olympics here. So I believe they did both mostly-live that year.

But I still don't get why Chess isn't an Olympic sport. :colbert:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I remember the Triplecast existing, but I don't know anyone who actually watched it.

precision posted:

I'm willing to let Chess in if we let Poetry back in. Just because I want to see NBC try to air that. :v:

I remember that they used to show Olympic coverage pretty much 24 hours with live events in the middle of the night for more minor things and then the major events delayed to certain times during the day.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Random Stranger posted:

I'm willing to let Chess in if we let Poetry back in. Just because I want to see NBC try to air that.

If Poetry were let back in, it would almost certainly look exactly like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5vEYJDAv7k

:suicide:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

There's only one winter sport that needs to come back.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvk4PpFORD4

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

When was the last time the Olympics had something resembling interesting coverage in the US?

Tonya Harding

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:

precision posted:

In all seriousness, I would endorse chess-boxing for the Olympics. I'm just fascinated by the concept.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

precision posted:

Because the world's greatest chess player is an iPad with Chessmaster 2000.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

smg77 posted:

Tonya Harding

That young hip Canadian snowboarder who, shockingly, turned out to have smoked some small amount of marijuana at some point.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Does anyone actually care about the Winter Olympics? It's just a bunch of poo poo sports where guys fall down mountains with stuff strapped to their feet. And curling.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

precision posted:

That young hip Canadian snowboarder who, shockingly, turned out to have smoked some small amount of marijuana at some point.

Dan & Dave.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Joramun posted:

Skiers wiping out happens though, I don't think I've ever seen a figure skater slash themselves up.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

IRQ posted:

Skiers wiping out happens though, I don't think I've ever seen a figure skater slash themselves up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1weVp4S8IFc

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Rarity posted:

Does anyone actually care about the Winter Olympics? It's just a bunch of poo poo sports where guys fall down mountains with stuff strapped to their feet. And curling.

Canada would burn down if they didn't win hockey gold on their turf

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Man, so how about that English adaptation of 19-2? Anyone else catch it?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Irish Joe posted:

Ski Jump is cool because there's an element of danger and a high skill threshold not present in the other events.
Actually, ski jumpers are only like 10 feet off the ground during their entire "flight".

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Josh Lyman posted:

Actually, ski jumpers are only like 10 feet off the ground during their entire "flight".

And I'm 5 feet from the wall of the building I jumped off of as I plummet to my doom.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

So I suppose it's perfectly safe then and requires no skill.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The TV IV > TV IV Couch Chat: Wherein Goons Condescend To Highly Trained Athletes

Dantes
Sep 3, 2003
It can never be too cold.

Wandle Cax posted:

So I suppose it's perfectly safe then and requires no skill.
Exactly. Meanwhile, in curling, if one of your fingers get squeeze between 2 rocks when you stack them, you're gonna wish you were only ski jumping.

BarbarousBertha
Aug 2, 2007

IRQ posted:

Okay, not slashing, but still.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpN4rnzvUvg&feature=youtu.be&t=3m1s

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Well now I won't be! :dance:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The Jack Bauer Power Hour all up in yo Super Bowl commercials.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I just started watching Californication with a friend. Is it me or is this a misogynist male jerk-off fantasy?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Vertical Lime posted:

Canada would burn down if they didn't win hockey gold on their turf

Luckily we didn't have to find out, since Zach Parise sucks.

Rarity posted:

I just started watching Californication with a friend. Is it me or is this a misogynist male jerk-off fantasy?

Are those meant to be the same thought or are you asking about TV IV with the second part?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Rarity posted:

My memory of the show is dim, but my sense is that Runkle's the misogynistic jerk-off and you really don't have to sympathize with him or Hank. It's about a self-destructive writer in LA and his views and treatment of women is part and parcel of that self-destruction.

But this is a lot to say about a show I don't really care for either.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I remember the first couple of seasons at least having some nice moments, but I stopped watching the show at some point as well. It kind of just spun its wheels without going anywhere after a while and turned into Hank and Runkle's Whacky Adventures! which basically consisted of the kind of fantasy wish-fulfillment poo poo you'd see on Entourage.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

DivisionPost posted:

My memory of the show is dim, but my sense is that Runkle's the misogynistic jerk-off and you really don't have to sympathize with him or Hank. It's about a self-destructive writer in LA and his views and treatment of women is part and parcel of that self-destruction.

But this is a lot to say about a show I don't really care for either.

It's not just the way that Hank is portrayed but how the women in the show are portrayed, there's been a whole load of negative stereotypes thrown in and I've only seen two episodes.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Rarity posted:

It's not just the way that Hank is portrayed but how the women in the show are portrayed, there's been a whole load of negative stereotypes thrown in and I've only seen two episodes.

Do you look at an actual stripper and think her misogynistic for how she portrays a woman? It's about a scumbag and the sordid types that cavort with him, which is a portrayal of people.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
It's just a plain bad show. Not much to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Rarity posted:

Do you think the type of women Hank associates with and the way he treats them says something about the character of Hank himself?

• Locked thread