Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.

lavaca posted:

The tax brackets differ based on your filing status and aren't always consistent. Marriage is a really good deal if one person earns a lot and the other earns a little but can be a bad deal if both partners earn about the same amount of money. In addition, both partners are required to choose the same deduction method. That can really hurt if one person would benefit from itemizing while the other would not.

Don't get married in a year you are planning to pay $9,000 in mortgage interest unless you're an engineer and your fiancee is a barista.

This is exactly the case I'm getting into.

We both make good money (between 70-80k salary), but I have a bunch of allowances because I deduct ~12k every year in mortgage interest, etc. She has to take the standard deduction. Wouldn't Married Filing Single fix something like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
A lot of deductions aren't allowed if you file separately.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

ninjahedgehog posted:

(might require archives)

2009 thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3175682

2012 thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3470495

The 2009 one ends in mid 2010 or so, and then there's a two-year gap between it and the new one. I don't think there's another, but there are few posts in the 2012 thread that imply it's only these two.

Was it Zaurg or Cornholio that posted the picture of his rotting foot under an alt?

I am OK posted:

All of this post is wrong as hell.
Care the elaborate?

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Delta-Wye posted:

Was it Zaurg or Cornholio that posted the picture of his rotting foot under an alt?
Zaurg, including self-surgery with a steak knife. Cornholio just took giant shits that his father used to cut up with the family's butter knife.

Hope this helps.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Delta-Wye posted:

Care the elaborate?

I was going to post some statistics I found to back up his assertion but this is a derail. Let's stop talking about whether people who live at home are losers who will never amount to anything or whether people who move out and tackle their own finances in their early 20s are stupid sheeple.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

kissekatt posted:

Zaurg, including self-surgery with a steak knife.

Oh man, I read the reactions to this, but all of the image links are dead. Uh, nobody happened to save pictures of it, did they? Or is this one of those things where I'm better off just imagining it?

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004

kissekatt posted:

Zaurg, including self-surgery with a steak knife. Cornholio just took giant shits that his father used to cut up with the family's butter knife.

Hope this helps.

I'm noticing a trend that people who are "bad with money" are also really "bad at life" in general.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011

MrKatharsis posted:

Totally late to the game here, but are these asian guys? You very closely described a few people I know (live at home, can't get a second date, desperately conflicted by "sweet freedom/no risks").

I agree with you that I wouldn't date someone who wasn't capable of living on their own, but I imagine that in the bay area this is literally the only way someone can save enough for a downpayment on a condo.

Some of them. The ones who had to be home for dinner tended to be Indian, but the vast majority of the failure-to-launch crowd were white of the Anglo and Jewish varieties.

As for saving money in the bay, it is totally possible. They clearly liked my standard of living enough to want to move right in to it, and my monthly income is less than a quarter of theirs on average. God bless grad school and non profit jobs. It means living outside the money sectors and commuting, though (I live in the east bay and plenty of them preferred to live and mom and dad's in the South Bay, despite the commute to SF being comparable)

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

WampaLord posted:

The NFL actually hold finance education classes for rookies coming into the league to tell them not to blow their giant :signings: bonuses and be penniless, but you give young men tons of :homebrew: and not even the best adviser in the world could control their spending.

Yes, they do hold these classes. They also provide them with a pamphlet filled with "NFL Approved" financial advisors. How do you get "NFL Approved" you ask? Why, just pay them a bunch of money. Who cares if you're accredited or have any actual financial planning skills?

The biggest problem is that many of these kids have never held a job in their lives (play football or work?). They've never seen a paycheck, paystub, or a bill. Watch the 30 for 30 episode "Broke". Some guys figured out/realized that making your agent your one stop shop for investments and bill paying was a really bad idea. Bernie Kosar learned the hard way that his dad really was a dick and to never let family handle your money.

The NFL financial classes should be "Don't loving let your family handle your money. Your agent is not your best friend. And that huge crowd of people who are suddenly your 'posse'? NOT YOUR FRIENDS!"

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

ninjahedgehog posted:

Oh man, I read the reactions to this, but all of the image links are dead. Uh, nobody happened to save pictures of it, did they? Or is this one of those things where I'm better off just imagining it?

It looked like a cauliflower was growing out of his foot. I don't know how he walked with that thing.

SIHappiness
Apr 26, 2008
It's tax season, so I'm sure we've all got stories related to that one.

A coworker mentioned that he planned to buy his wife a used, $~15K car with his tax return. He was the only one who worked and they had two kids. I should mention that this was a 6-figure job and in a field where he definitely understood the finer points of personal income tax.

"Dude, I think it might be time to adjust your withholding if you're looking at a $15,000 tax return."

"Yeah, I mean, I understand how all that works and I know it's an interest-free loan and all that, but it helps me budget to have a big check in February."

I mean, I'm not going to quibble over a few hundred dollars either way. I'm not trying to get to $0 at tax return time, although I do come pretty close. But to leave over a thousand a month out of my check as the sole earner? And he's far from the only person I've met who does this, but he's the only one I've known who does it on that scale.

Disclaimer: yes, I know that at today's interest rates, it's a pretty miniscule amount that he would lose out on. On the flipside, if he were throwing it into an investment of some sort (which he had in previous years when not buying a car), he's losing out on dollar cost averaging by making one large investment in February as opposed to a 1/12 investments during the entire year.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Yeah if he put that in SPY he'd have had a couple thousand extra to play with.

JohnnyPalace
Oct 23, 2001

I'm gonna eat shit out of his own lemonade stand!

Dragyn posted:

This is exactly the case I'm getting into.

We both make good money (between 70-80k salary), but I have a bunch of allowances because I deduct ~12k every year in mortgage interest, etc. She has to take the standard deduction. Wouldn't Married Filing Single fix something like that?

When Married Filing Separately, if one person itemizes, both people have to. That's why there's a box on Schedule A that says "If you elect to itemize deductions even though they are less than your standard deduction, check here".

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Jeffrey posted:

My first association with amusement parks will forever be that SA frontpage article about the fat guy dual wielding turkey legs.

Definitely worth a read... http://www.somethingawful.com/comedy-goldmine/amusement-park-failures/1/

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Tigntink posted:

Oh goodness. I drive a new RX450H and wear a leather coat and shop at the thrift store. I love finding vintage dresses and high end jeans in still good shape. Shopping at the thrift store is fun, fool. Finding sweet threads is fun.

Yeah, I aside from the obvious savings, I really like the element of surprise that comes with shopping at secondhand stores. I'm lucky that my girlfriend is the same way; I took her out to a nearby secondhand shop for the first time this weekend and we had a blast :3: I own a 20 year old dirtbike as my only vehicle though, so I don't really have much of a dichotomy going on, unless you know a bit about camera gear. Everyone's got their priorities.

I picked the thrifting habit up from my dad; he bought all of his non-work clothes (and I suspect, even some of the stuff he wore to meetings and stuff) at thrift stores and would take me along when I was a kid. He worked a white collar sales job that was enough to support my whole family comfortably (and save a shitload for retirement, apparently). My sister takes after him even more: she's been driving the same '96 Accord she bought in high school with several years of saved-up babysitting money (seriously, I think she started when she was like 12) and is now 27. Even my dad asked her if she was going to buy something newer when she got a real job out of college, and she said she was just going to drive it until it blew up/wasn't economical to fix.

Trilineatus posted:

They clearly liked my standard of living enough to want to move right in to it, and my monthly income is less than a quarter of theirs on average.

I don't think that's an unreasonable quibble about dating someone to have.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
My brother just called asking me to float him rent until payday.

The brother that used to live with me until I kicked him out because he was 6 months behind on the rent.

The brother who hasn't refunded a single family loan in three years.

OneWhoKnows
Dec 6, 2006
I choo choo choooose you!

FrozenVent posted:

My brother just called asking me to float him rent until payday.

The brother that used to live with me until I kicked him out because he was 6 months behind on the rent.

The brother who hasn't refunded a single family loan in three years.

Did you say yes or no?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

OneWhoKnows posted:

Did you say yes or no?

I told him to swing by my place (we live in the same building) when he was done drinking at whatever place he's at.

I'm probably going to have to swing him some money, because family and all that. Our parents are retired so I'd rather he didn't go to them. I don't need this at tax time, but then work just hosed me over on my vacation so I'm going to be saving some money there :smith: (To preempt the e/n, I know I could turn him down but I don't want to, and I'm going to require him to write a drat budget down before I loan him poo poo)

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

FrozenVent posted:

I told him to swing by my place (we live in the same building) when he was done drinking at whatever place he's at.

So he can afford to go out drinking but not pay his rent?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Xenocides posted:

So he can afford to go out drinking but not pay his rent?

Hence why my assertion that he's bad with money.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
You'll never see that money again.

Edit: You're bad with money by giving him money.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
It sounds like the situation is "FrozenVent gives his brother money, or else brother gets the money from retired parents." Neither of which is ideal, but it's understandable that Vent doesn't want his parents taking the burden. (The best idea would be a unified front against giving the brother money, but it's hard to say how his parents would react. FrozenVent should definitely talk about it with them if he hasn't before & this is a recurring problem, though.)

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
This also gives him the chance to ram budgeting down his brother's throat. It won't be effective but it could be.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Rofl I want to live in the fantasy land where you guys live. His brother isn't going to learn poo poo. The only thing that will cause this man to change his ways will probably be the death of his parents or FrozenVent, or maybe he'll be one of those people who starts a family and grows the hell up. I can GUARANTEE that this loan will not be leverage for anything. Ever.

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Feb 1, 2014

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

You'll never see that money again.

Edit: You're bad with money by giving him money.

Sometimes being responsible costs money :shrug:

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
If someone asks for money just lie and tell them you don't have any spare cash because things are rough now blah blah.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

Delta-Wye posted:

Sometimes being responsible costs money :shrug:

When you're the responsible adult - you do the right thing. Alot of times it's bullshit because others will continue to act like children.

(I was agreeing with you if that wasn't clear)

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

FrozenVent posted:

I'm probably going to have to swing him some money, because family and all that. Our parents are retired so I'd rather he didn't go to them. I don't need this at tax time, but then work just hosed me over on my vacation so I'm going to be saving some money there :smith: (To preempt the e/n, I know I could turn him down but I don't want to, and I'm going to require him to write a drat budget down before I loan him poo poo)

Why can't you just tell him you don't have any money? And ask him about the money he already owes you? Just because someone is family doesn't mean you have to give them money whenever they ask. Are you afraid he will be mad at you if you don't? If that's the case then he's a lovely person (family or not) and you shouldn't be supporting him anyway. You are terrible with money.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

razz posted:

You are terrible with money.

And you are a dick.

I would give my brother cash so he doesn't go cry to my retired parents who are on a limited budget for money. I know they would give him money and then just turn the heat down to 50 for a few months to stretch the oil longer and eat baloney sandwiches for a month to stretch the food budget. I wouldn't want my parents to have to live like that.

fruition
Feb 1, 2014

Spermy Smurf posted:

And you are a dick.

I would give my brother cash so he doesn't go cry to my retired parents who are on a limited budget for money. I know they would give him money and then just turn the heat down to 50 for a few months to stretch the oil longer and eat baloney sandwiches for a month to stretch the food budget. I wouldn't want my parents to have to live like that.

Sounds like you and Frozen both need to talk to your parents, sack up and lay down the law to your loser brothers.

There's a difference between floating money to a sibling who's poo poo with budgeting but will eventually pay you back, and giving money to an addicted or manipulative sibling who has no intention of ever paying you back. In the latter case you're simply a mark to the dickbag sibling. Same thing goes for parents, aunts, uncles, friends. Just because they are "family" doesn't mean you should let them take advantage of you. And you're not noble for letting it happen either.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

Spermy Smurf posted:

And you are a dick.

You had to kick him out of your place because he didn't pay rent for 6 months.

He hasn't paid anyone back any money he had borrowed in 2 years.

He is currently at the bar drinking and waiting for you to give him money.

...and you're going to loan him money only if he "makes a budget". Haha. Good luck, I bet he'll change this time around, everyone giving him money all the time will definitely motivate him to be a responsible adult! Just keep giving him money, one day your good deeds will be rewarded.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Spermy Smurf and FrozenVent are two different people... right?

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
Oh haha, yeah I guess so, didn't notice that. Two people who are bad with money in the same thread defending each other??? Crazy.

Persona non grata
Apr 25, 2010
You're dealing honourably with a difficult situation Spermy Smurf. People in this thread are bitter Calvinists who think the only problem with the world is that there isn't enough cruelty and suffering. Just ignore them.

edit: I meant FrozenVent.

Persona non grata fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Feb 1, 2014

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Persona non grata posted:

Your dealing honourably with a difficult situation Spermy Smurf. People in this thread are bitter Calvinists who think the only problem with the world is that there isn't enough cruelty and suffering. Just ignore them.

It's true he's doing The Right Thing in matters of family. When it's going to someone that has a track record of being a lovely person when it comes to borrowing money, though, can you really blame everyone for reacting the way they are? I can see that family has a blind spot in this case as I just "loaned" (gifted) $1k to my mom due to some messy financial issues (parents bad with money, divorce unsettled while retirement accounts are frozen, etc).

Does this make me bad with money? Maybe in this case, but it didn't hurt me at all as I have a fairly hefty amount in my savings to cover this. Though, I also had to have the painful conversation of "I can't be your bank, I love you but this is a one time thing". That made me feel super lovely for awhile as I felt in some way obligated to as she raised me and funded my upbringing. It goes to show how difficult these matters are when it comes to family.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
In The Wire, when the ex-cop teacher gives the kid who has started doing drugs 300 bucks to either go sign up for his GED or buy more dope, was the teacher being bad with money?

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

tuyop posted:

In The Wire, when the ex-cop teacher gives the kid who has started doing drugs 300 bucks to either go sign up for his GED or buy more dope, was the teacher being bad with money?

If the teacher had given the kid money repeatedly in the past and the kid bought dope with the money every time then yes.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

razz posted:

If the teacher had given the kid money repeatedly in the past and the kid bought dope with the money every time then yes.

It was the first time and he said it would be the last if the kid didn't use it for school.

Persona non grata
Apr 25, 2010

FrozenVent posted:

Hence why my assertion that he's bad with money.

Therefor, he deserves everything terrible that will happen to him, and you shouldn't stand in the way of the divinely guided suffering coming his way. You're not even allowed to feel bad for him because he made bad choices, and people who make bad choices aren't worthy of empathy. The sinner must repent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Persona non grata posted:

Therefor, he deserves everything terrible that will happen to him, and you shouldn't stand in the way of the divinely guided suffering coming his way. You're not even allowed to feel bad for him because he made bad choices, and people who make bad choices aren't worthy of empathy. The sinner must repent.
Well I think he could do more good for someone more deserving if he convinced his parents not to give his brother money and did the same thing. Charities do a lot more good per dollar you give them than his brother will. If it wouldn't hurt his parents to say no, then there's no reason to prioritize his dumbass brother over preventing malaria cases in Africa or whatever. Don't act like some noble protector of the weak from capitalism because you think his idiot brother's drinking should be paid for on his family's dime.

• Locked thread