Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

It barely matters anyhow but they actually changed the design of the hilt a bit after the (mostly negative) response:

Emphasis on "a bit". :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

"Guys I have this rad new idea for a Sith bad guy. Okay dig it: Black bodysuit, maybe with some armor parts especially around the shoulders, with red lights on it. Pale skin, bald head, yellow eyes. Tats or scars too, naturally. I know this is a new direction for us but I really think we should give it a chance."

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I'm really liking the look of "classic" Imperial outpost design. What with the weird light strips on the walls and the glossy floors.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I don't believe I realized stormtroopers had asymmetric kneecap designs before that shot.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Rinkles posted:

I don't believe I realized stormtroopers had asymmetric kneecap designs before that shot.

:stare: Holy poo poo, I never noticed that but now that you mention it....

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I was about to pass it off as a stylistic difference but nope this is how it's always been

God, stormtrooper armor looks so drat lovely and I love it.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Cross-Section posted:

It barely matters anyhow but they actually changed the design of the hilt a bit after the (mostly negative) response:

Emphasis on "a bit". :v:

Those pauldrons :cawg:

e: I guess those are technically spaulders, since they don't cover the armpit. But still, :cawg:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
They get a pass. Just. The weird hip Pauldrons are just dumb though.

And yeah, I've always noticed the little knee pad the Stormtroopers have on their right leg. Guess it helps them with kneel firing :3:.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SeanBeansShako posted:

And yeah, I've always noticed the little knee pad the Stormtroopers have on their right leg. Guess it helps them with kneel firing :3:.

For a certain value of "helps", anyway.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Metal Loaf posted:

For a certain value of "helps", anyway.
Without that, they actually hit each other instead of nothing.

Also, B-Wing's are the coolest ship :colbert:

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
You might want to run a spellcheck on your post because I think you misspelt K-wing, the A-10 of space.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Flagrant Abuse posted:

You might want to run a spellcheck on your post because I think you misspelt K-wing, the A-10 of space.

I'm pretty sure he actually meant to say Y-wing.

Click for big.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Flagrant Abuse posted:

I don't know why you ninja-edited, you had it right with A-Wing, the only ship that needs special training to fly because it's TOO maneuverable.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Beardless posted:

I'm pretty sure he actually meant to say Y-wing.

Click for big.

i came

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Aren't people bored of Sith Lords and the like at this point? Darth Vader is the best one and good enough, it's not like you need any more when you have him around. Compared to Vader and the Emperor, all the other guys are a bit poo poo. Count Dooku had the potential to be a cool bad guy, but they totally blew it. I could have gone for an upper crust gentleman Space Dracula but all things said and done the guy was pretty useless.

I'm a little tired of Jedi and Sith at this point. Now X-Wing pilots, that's where it's at. Do Rogue Squadron: the show and we'd be good.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gammatron 64 posted:

Aren't people bored of Sith Lords and the like at this point? Darth Vader is the best one and good enough, it's not like you need any more when you have him around. Compared to Vader and the Emperor, all the other guys are a bit poo poo. Count Dooku had the potential to be a cool bad guy, but they totally blew it. I could have gone for an upper crust gentleman Space Dracula but all things said and done the guy was pretty useless.

I'm a little tired of Jedi and Sith at this point. Now X-Wing pilots, that's where it's at. Do Rogue Squadron: the show and we'd be good.

There is a small but vocal community of people who really like the starfighter aspect of Star Wars but by and large the Space Wizards are what people come for.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
The problem is the more space wizards they cram in the more they dilute them. I thought they were onto a good thing with the Rule of Two on the Sith but nope gotta contradict that at every turn too.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

api call girl posted:

The problem is the more space wizards they cram in the more they dilute them. I thought they were onto a good thing with the Rule of Two on the Sith but nope gotta contradict that at every turn too.

Yeah, the Space Wizards used to be pretty cool, but I kinda feel like the prequels and EU have really kind of killed their mystique. Sometimes less is more.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Hazo posted:

I don't know why you ninja-edited, you had it right with A-Wing, the only ship that needs special training to fly because it's TOO maneuverable.
It was a close tossup but then I remembered the K-wing existed.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

We've had over 10 years of focus on the space wizards. It is sort of silly really.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

That's what the Fett movie is for. Well, that and money.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Rinkles posted:

That's what the Fett movie is for. Well, that and money.

Fett was cool-ish until Lucas officially dumped 2 million Fetts on us.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
You could say that I was "Fett up".

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

SeanBeansShako posted:

They get a pass. Just. The weird hip Pauldrons are just dumb though.

They're actually a real thing! They're called Faulds.

You're still right that they look dumb on Darth von Evilsatan here.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Ceebees posted:

They're actually a real thing! They're called Faulds.

You're still right that they look dumb on Darth von Evilsatan here.

Really? I'm a little rusty on armour terminology as it isn't my thing.

I was okay with the Fett thing until a certain crazy author appeared.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Cross-Section posted:

I was about to pass it off as a stylistic difference but nope this is how it's always been

God, stormtrooper armor looks so drat lovely and I love it.

Haha goddamn, a lot of those don't even fit right. Guy in the far right has his kneepad tucked into his thigh armor, and the two on the left have theirs twisted around. Say what you will about CGI clone troopers, but holy poo poo.

Also, you guys are all wrong, the E-wing is scientifically the coolest spaceship:

Where's the droid? Oh, yeah, they gave it a cover so it wouldn't get its head shot off like R2-D2. Not that he could be able to handle one anyway, they had to make an entirely new class specifically for it.

:smuggo::respek::goonsay:

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Feb 2, 2014

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
That render is from Fate of the Galaxy, a mod for ~FREESPACE OPEN~ which I'm constantly plugging for anyone who's into space sims like TIE Fighter or Wing Commander. It also has an excellent BSG mod if you've ever wanted to fly a Viper. Fate isn't out yet, unfortunately, so E-Wing dreams will have to wait.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

It is one of those Star Wars mods I have been waiting for like forever too.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Is the Latin alphabet present in the Star Wars universe? (related to the spaceship discussion)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Rinkles posted:

Is the Latin alphabet present in the Star Wars universe? (related to the spaceship discussion)

They don't call it that (it's High Galactic), but they use it in the names of droids and starfighters, don't they? And also the Greek alphabet (excuse me, Tionese) for things like the Lambda-class shuttle.

There is, as you might expect, an incredibly spergy retcon to allow for all the various writing systems that have ever been seen or mentioned: The Written Word: A Brief Introduction to the Writing Systems of Galactic Basic

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Powered Descent posted:

They don't call it that (it's High Galactic), but they use it in the names of droids and starfighters, don't they? And also the Greek alphabet (excuse me, Tionese) for things like the Lambda-class shuttle.

There is, as you might expect, an incredibly spergy retcon to allow for all the various writing systems that have ever been seen or mentioned: The Written Word: A Brief Introduction to the Writing Systems of Galactic Basic

I forgot it was present here and there in the OT.

From the wiki link

(another silly edit, imo)

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Vader had Hebrew on his chest plate thing, too. Although I think that was only in ESB/ROTJ.

super mario batali
Aug 1, 2013

Dice-a the Mushroom
Grimey Drawer
Hopefully the new movie will contain more delicious wincest.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Started listening to audio books on the drive home and found that they make my apathy for Luke,Leia,Han stories go away. I am 75% done with allegiance which I'm enjoying even though I remember thinking the premise dull when I saw it on a book cover. Any recommendations assuming I don't want to listen to Thrawn, Xwing, or Movie novelizations?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

General Battuta posted:

That render is from Fate of the Galaxy, a mod for ~FREESPACE OPEN~ which I'm constantly plugging for anyone who's into space sims like TIE Fighter or Wing Commander. It also has an excellent BSG mod if you've ever wanted to fly a Viper. Fate isn't out yet, unfortunately, so E-Wing dreams will have to wait.
I did not know this was still being worked on. Sounds awesome.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I'm a few chapters into Darth Maul: Lockdown and it's alright so far. Death Troopers sucked and I heard Red Harvest was about the same so that's fortunate.

Maphis
Apr 22, 2012
Into the Void wasn't completely awful... although January Jones voices for all the male characters sound ridiculous.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Maphis posted:

Into the Void wasn't completely awful... although January Jones voices for all the male characters sound ridiculous.
It was something new, I mostly enjoyed it.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

They seriously got January Jones to do a Star Wars audiobook? I kind of have to listen to this, now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maphis
Apr 22, 2012

Chairman Capone posted:

They seriously got January Jones to do a Star Wars audiobook? I kind of have to listen to this, now.

I meant January Lavoy. Sorry to get your hopes up, I was posting half asleep.
I liked Into The Void a lot more than the first arc of the Dawn of the Jedi comic series, the whole "A Je'daii must be in balance with both the light and dark sides of the force." really casts the rest of the continuity in a bad light. Why do there keep being light vs dark wars and galactic conquests? Because you've been doing it wrong for centuries!