Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

ConfusedUs posted:

Dumb question: but does the bit level of Java matter for this app?

Like does it require 64bit Java if you're on a 64bit machine?

I thought about this and made sure everything was 32-bit :\

Nemo2342 posted:

My setup guide for the seasonal payroll admin is:

1) Uninstall Java
2) Go to the eTime site
3) Let eTime install whatever Java it wants

That was the only way to get it so that she could do anything more than clock herself in and out with it. I just have to cross my fingers that she won't need some other site that requires a later version of java.

Funny thing about that is that if you install Firefox, rather than "Contact your System Administrator" you get "Click here to download Java from us." The weird part is that the version that the link downloads is slightly newer than the version listed as "required" but it still doesn't work. I even modified the URL to pull the supposedly required version and that STILL didn't work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
WebDev update: He is now demanding a network diagram and credentials to the router so he can make the changes himself.

This is pretty much my responce to him:

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
How long until your bosses cave and give him the credentials, and then poo poo on you for not getting it done?

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

How long until your bosses cave and give him the credentials, and then poo poo on you for not getting it done?

not sure on this one. This guy is a contractor not an employee so they may stand their ground.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

There are paid professionals who install Apache on Windows? :psyduck:

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

babies havin rabies posted:

People install Apache on Windows? :psyduck:

All the time. IIS still has a bad rap. It's much better these days but unfortunately IIS's reputation is still terrible.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

babies havin rabies posted:

There are paid professionals who install Apache on Windows? :psyduck:

I'll put my foot in my mouth and say wouldn't that be preferable to IIS?

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

AlternateAccount posted:

I'll put my foot in my mouth and say wouldn't that be preferable to IIS?

I prefer Apache to IIS, just that using Windows for it seems unnecessarily complicated and then having it face the Internet and securing it properly seems like it would be more trouble than it's worth.

I mean, the first time I ever had to install Apache back when I was a student, I asked a co-worker how to do it on Windows, he just kind of gave me an odd look and that was the first day I used Linux. I know stuff like WAMP exists but I never thought it was intended as a practical solution.

Edit: I just noticed it's a development workstation, I guess that's a little less strange to me.

babies havin rabies fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jan 31, 2014

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Agrikk posted:

This code and the MoneyShovel conversation have made me smile and giggle under my breath this morning. Thanks folks and Happy Friday!
We rock it like this in Oracle...

CREATE TABLE APPS.TABLE_NAME
(
COUNT NUMBER,
"FROM" VARCHAR2 (50),
"WHERE" VARCHAR2 (50),
"AND" VARCHAR2 (50),
"OR" VARCHAR2 (50)
)
/

SELECT "FROM", "WHERE", "COUNT"
FROM table_name
WHERE "FROM" NOT LIKE 'where'
AND "WHERE" NOT LIKE 'from'
AND "AND" IS NOT NULL;

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Zero VGS posted:

My brother runs a jewelry store and someone pawned him a steel ring that had the Java logo on it and a transponder inside it, given out at some convention.

I put it up on eBay where two I'm-assuming-rich-rear end-java-devs proceeded to bid against each other and I sold the piece of poo poo for like $120. So positive experiences are possible.

JavaRing. Ran Java Card on the one wire standard. Those were given out at java world in mid to late nineties additionally Dallas semiconductor sold them.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Posting Principle posted:

On the server, as a developer? Yes, definitely. In the browser, as a CJ... ?

Yeah, basically this. I'm moving from Android to iOS, and so far I'd much prefer the cold, rigid, autistic embrace of Java than the hipster shouting "YOLO" as he dives off a building that is Obj-c.

As a CJ, I only have it installed because I need the JDK as a developer. I've disabled it in all browsers.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
What's especially annoying is that, if they seriously can't be bothered to write good code that won't break by updates to Java, they could just use one of the several AOT compilers for Java to produce fully compiled executables that don't require a JVM at all. You're already losing the whole "platform neutral" thing anyway when your lovely software won't run unless a random unsecure version of Java is installed, so just say gently caress it and .exe for everyone!

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Seriously, why should anyone give a poo poo about being moolti-plat anyway? Enterprise environments run Windows, period. I don't about other sites, but my site is Windows from soup to nuts.

It's even better when they are departments that have to use every program in the production environment. The quality management department is such a pain in the rear end because of this since they need several programs that all use their super special version of java and nothing else. I guess this is why my parent company makes everyone RDS to access the timekeeping since it's Kronos and already breaks if your left nut is slightly lower than it was the last time you used Kronos, let alone if every schmuck across the country was using whatever version of Java they felt like.

The powers that be are having us power cycle all the VDIs in the hospital on a weekly basis from now on. Remember when these things were supposed to be low maintenance? Wrong, the system fucks up constantly nearly a year after go-live and they came up with this bonehead idea to try and fix it. The EMR people point fingers at Citrix, Citrix points fingers at the EMR and the authentication scheme, I point my middle finger at everyone.

I guarantee it's a huge waste of time and will not fix anything. There will still be times when they all get together and have a good old fashioned error fad. All the cool VDIs are refusing to load programs this week maaaan.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

skooma512 posted:

Seriously, why should anyone give a poo poo about being moolti-plat anyway? Enterprise environments run Windows, period. I don't about other sites, but my site is Windows from soup to nuts.

It's a nice thought until the CFO can't run it on his Special Snowflake Macbook. Then I hope you have a .dmg!

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

For Lack of a Better Name
Here's the summary for a ticket my wife handled:

:mad: I got an error.
:j: What error?
:mad: I don't know. It's not working.
:j: Here's the steps to complete this.
:mad: I did that already. It's not working.
:j: Please do it again and just follow the steps I sent you. That way if you get another error, you can send me the error number.
:mad: ... It worked. But it didn't work the last time.
:j: You're welcome.

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM

The Electronaut posted:

JavaRing. Ran Java Card on the one wire standard. Those were given out at java world in mid to late nineties additionally Dallas semiconductor sold them.

Apparently they existed for guys like this guy http://www.nngroup.com/articles/javaring-wearable-computer/
to write up articles in 98 on how they are the future. Instead he uses it to load up his homepage to take a picture of himself for his article

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

skooma512 posted:

Enterprise environments run Windows, period. I don't about other sites, but my site is Windows from soup to nuts.

:smithicide:

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

I love having a boss that won't say no, and is convinced that customer service just means doing whatever the user wants, not actually trying to solve any of their problems.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

skooma512 posted:

Linux/Unix doesn't exist in enterprise environments. :v:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

ratbert90 posted:

Linux/Unix doesn't exist in enterprise environments. :v:

Not on desktops, no. Who gives a gently caress what's running in the datacenter? All these lovely java apps run on workstations.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Not on desktops, no. Who gives a gently caress what's running in the datacenter? All these lovely java apps run on workstations.

That is true. I generally think enterprise environments include the backend poo poo also.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Lum posted:

Showed my girlfriend the MoneyShovel stuff as she's the networks person in this house. Her response...

Don't forget that the moneyshovel 7945 is only licensed for 12.2.54(WTF)5 revenue release stream, and to get the features you want from 15.3.1(BBQ)1 you have to relicense it.

Or you can just hexedit a 12.2.54(WTF) image released for the 8645 so it will run on the 7945 because the only difference is two bytes and the front panel is silver.

You just gave me flashbacks to when I worked for SGI and delt with IRIX.

...and I actually LIKED IRIX.
...Most of the time.

EDIT

I can possibly explain this, but my explanation would need to be converted from UNIXspeak to WINDOWSspeak.

In UNIX, you usually tell apps which java to use by doing something like

/usr/java1.6.0_17/bin/java
/usr/java1.7.0_8709823845/bin/java

ln -s /usr/java /usr/java1.6.0_17

Then, some idiot developer does:

export PATH=/usr/java1.7.0_8709823845/bin/java:$PATH

to translate, you usually set your default java with a symlink. Idiot developers will just set path statements in their user environments which breaks everything.

nitrogen fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Feb 2, 2014

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Gephi's a pretty cool desktop Java app.

There's all of maybe one weird startup where it would actually be installed by default, and they don't have enough employees for "runs on anything" to actually matter. Because they only have two employees, who have already figured out how to set it up themselves.

Megaman
May 8, 2004
I didn't read the thread BUT...

skooma512 posted:

That's THE funniest joke I've heard in a LONG time. I've never heard of a single company that runs windows in any serious environment. Do you work for Tardco or IdiotiCorp?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

nitrogen posted:

I can possibly explain this, but my explanation would need to be converted from UNIXspeak to WINDOWSspeak.

In UNIX, you usually tell apps which java to use by doing something like

/usr/java1.6.0_17/bin/java
/usr/java1.7.0_8709823845/bin/java

ln -s /usr/java /usr/java1.6.0_17

Then, some idiot developer does:

export PATH=/usr/java1.7.0_8709823845/bin/java:$PATH

to translate, you usually set your default java with a symlink. Idiot developers will just set path statements in their user environments which breaks everything.
But is dependency hell better or worse than .dll hell? :iiam:

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Megaman posted:

That's THE funniest joke I've heard in a LONG time. I've never heard of a single company that runs windows in any serious environment. Do you work for Tardco or IdiotiCorp?

Uh, seriously?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

nitrogen posted:

You just gave me flashbacks to when I worked for SGI and delt with IRIX.

...and I actually LIKED IRIX.
...Most of the time.
Attaching SCSI cdroms to Octanes to install 3 CDs worth of overlays from 6.5.something to 6.5.28 was literally Hitler.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Alctel posted:

Uh, seriously?

The latest trend has been to go 100% AS400. Better start learning how to program in RPG!

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Megaman posted:

I'll inform the .NET developers...

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

It happened, I found the user with the worst mouse ever.

http://ergo.contour-design.com/ergonomic-mouse/rollermouse-pro2

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Knormal posted:

Good god, that has to be the worst ever peripheral I have ever seen.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Knormal posted:

Rollerbar posted:

If your cursor cannot move further, simply slide the bar to the right or left until you hear a gentle click. This activates the end detection and the cursor can move anywhere on the screen.

Bringing the idea of a carriage return back into the 21st century as something other than an esoteric ascii character.

Emushka
Jul 5, 2007

inkblottime posted:

:mad: I don't know. It's not working.
:j: Here's the steps to complete this.
:mad: I did that already. It's not working

yeah, what the fuk is that anyway? we both know that you DIDN'T do that already. been there done that.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Megaman posted:

You're either trolling or you've never worked outside the IT/web industry.

I work for one of the world's largest international banks, and with a handful of exceptions it's Windows Server of various flavours for everything back-end and Windows 7 on the desktops.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Knormal posted:

Those are awful. Especially since the end of stroke detector is a pretty stiff micro switch and when you activate it the pointer goes zooming across the screen at warp 9.

They have another model that's more like a rolling pad which is pretty nice though, since it's pretty much a touchpad with haptic feedback.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

My job it is only Windows Server and AS400. I do all the Windows stuff and the old dudes program in RPG.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Collateral Damage posted:

You're either trolling or you've never worked outside the IT/web industry.

I work for one of the world's largest international banks, and with a handful of exceptions it's Windows Server of various flavours for everything back-end and Windows 7 on the desktops.

I know of only a couple servers that run Linux (other than our ESXi boxes) on our network, but the remaining several hundred all run Windows. In fact, we just stood up another 50 or so Windows virtual servers in preparation for migrating from OCS to Lync. Of course this is a United States Department of Defense network so that might explain why.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Oh right ESX. Have any of you use Jabber? We're trying to decide between Jabber and Lync. We get both with our licensing.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Knormal posted:

Yeah one of my user base has one of those for her RSI (carpal tunnel for US people), I have no idea what the gently caress but it seems to be no slower than a normal mouse for her.

Anyway, pretty sure those joystick mice are worse.

Edit: This thing:
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/ergonomics/home/products/ergonomicmouse/

A friend got given one because he complained about his wrist hurting after an accident and he hated it so much he had surgery instead :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

GreenNight posted:

Oh right ESX. Have any of you use Jabber? We're trying to decide between Jabber and Lync. We get both with our licensing.

Then you might as well go for Lync.

• Locked thread