Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs

funkybottoms posted:

beer geeks with money. are you in CA? that's probably more Sucaba than my entire metro area will receive.

I do live in CA, and I pretty much have access to just about every brewery in CA as long as we get a proper distributor. Pretty much the only thing we can't get is Russian River.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Got a couple of Sucabas today too. If its anything like the last year, aging it is only an exercise for curiosity's sake. It has awesome aged flavor already and isn't going to get better, just different. My opinion, obviously.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

LEGO Genetics posted:

I do live in CA, and I pretty much have access to just about every brewery in CA as long as we get a proper distributor. Pretty much the only thing we can't get is Russian River.

Strange - you must live in a rural area or something because you should be getting it. Do you get Alpine or Kern?

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Sucaba is best fresh.

Completely agree, but I think how it changes is interesting enough to throw a few in a closet each year.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Sucaba is best fresh. Or at the very least, don't age it more than a year. The same applies to all Firestone BA beers, actually.

Edit: Cue GirlKisser coming in here to say you should drink everything fresh. I can't wait to try some Lacto Guava Grove in a year...

I've honestly loved all their BA/anniversary beers at over a year, but that's just me. I feel the anniversary beers are all really groovin at a year +. We cracked the only bottling (right?) of Abacus the other week at a share and it was a slayer.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

ShaneB posted:

I've honestly loved all their BA/anniversary beers at over a year, but that's just me. I feel the anniversary beers are all really groovin at a year +. We cracked the only bottling (right?) of Abacus the other week at a share and it was a slayer.

We had an Abacus at the goon share at my place and it was amazing. I haven't had it fresh but the 2-3 year aged bottles I've had were perfect.

dphi posted:

I don't know if there's anyone here in Eugene, OR, but anyone in Oregon should be thinking about attending Oakshire's Hellshire IV release fest. Not often that you'll see breweries like Cigar City, Lost Abbey, Pizza Port and Pipeworks sending special kegs out here.

Link to a BA post of the partial keg list.

Holy poo poo that is one hell of a list.

LeafHouse fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Feb 1, 2014

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Sucaba is best fresh. Or at the very least, don't age it more than a year. The same applies to all Firestone BA beers, actually.

Edit: Cue GirlKisser coming in here to say you should drink everything fresh. I can't wait to try some Lacto Guava Grove in a year...

The '11 Abacus I brought to the Chicago goonshare was the loving poo poo.

Tonight I walked into a shop and walked out with 2 Sucaba and 3 Straight Jackets.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

air- posted:

Glass chat: Jester King's new glass is loving sexy too.

Thought I'd give a run down on these

Atrial Rubicite - just as good as the last time I tried this - easily one of the best American framboises out there. The amount of raspberries you get off of this is insane.

Nocturn Chrysalis - my least favorite of the three, this beer had a much more subtle blackberry presence than I expected. This was also the lest sour of the three.

Aurelian Lure - The highlight of the night for me, tons of awesome apricot going on with a nice sour tartness. It even had a hint of citrus that really reminded me of Upland's Persimmon lambic. This blows Cascade's Apricot Ale out of the water.

---

Overall, I'm really jealous of the people who live within an hour of Jester King, these three sours are on point and rival some of the best American Wild Ales I've ever had. I don't typically trade for beers I've already tried, but I'm very tempted to track down a bottle or two of Aurelian Lure. It's worth noting that some people at the tasting like Atrial Rubicite more.

I can only hope they up the production of their sour program and not skip corners by lowering the amount of fruit they're brewing with. I also really appreciate how they didn't just use the same base beer for these three, each one were different enough in terms of mouthfeel, tartness, and sourness.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Thought I'd give a run down on these

Atrial Rubicite - just as good as the last time I tried this - easily one of the best American framboises out there. The amount of raspberries you get off of this is insane.

Nocturn Chrysalis - my least favorite of the three, this beer had a much more subtle blackberry presence than I expected. This was also the lest sour of the three.

Aurelian Lure - The highlight of the night for me, tons of awesome apricot going on with a nice sour tartness. It even had a hint of citrus that really reminded me of Upland's Persimmon lambic. This blows Cascade's Apricot Ale out of the water.

---

Overall, I'm really jealous of the people who live within an hour of Jester King, these three sours are on point and rival some of the best American Wild Ales I've ever had. I don't typically trade for beers I've already tried, but I'm very tempted to track down a bottle or two of Aurelian Lure. It's worth noting that some people at the tasting like Atrial Rubicite more.

I can only hope they up the production of their sour program and not skip corners by lowering the amount of fruit they're brewing with. I also really appreciate how they didn't just use the same base beer for these three, each one were different enough in terms of mouthfeel, tartness, and sourness.

Just completed a trade for this set and hopefully Atrial Rubicite will be better than the last time I had it since I expected a lot more fruit but I didn't really taste it. How does Aurelian Lure stack up against Fou' Foune and West Ashley?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

What did you trade for it if you don't mind me asking?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Furious Lobster posted:

Just completed a trade for this set and hopefully Atrial Rubicite will be better than the last time I had it since I expected a lot more fruit but I didn't really taste it. How does Aurelian Lure stack up against Fou' Foune and West Ashley?

I've never had fresh Fou Foune but the bottles I've always had are much more tart and sour than Aurelian. I hate using this description, but Aurelian is more delicate and subtle. I also really like how Aurelian has hints of persimmon citrus, which Fou Foune doesn't have.

West Ashley is a little more complex with a funky quality going on. I'd really love to try West Ashley and Aurelian next to each other.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Jester King has mentioned they're gonna likely start having Atrial year round, so availability will slowly go up, but pretty sure it'll only be sold at the brewery. Nocturn/Aurelian are a lot tougher to get, and so is that La Vie En Rose beer being released today. I understand some of these new releases will be made again too, so I'm not too concerned about immediately chasing them down right away.

e: Bag of Sun Chips, what batch AR did you have? I still have batch one and they've become pretty drat tart.

air- fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Feb 1, 2014

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

LeafHouse posted:

We had an Abacus at the goon share at my place and it was amazing. I haven't had it fresh but the 2-3 year aged bottles I've had were perfect.

My impression was that Abacus (the one bottling when it was called that) benefitted more from aging than the subsequent Sucaba releases. I feel like they changed something in their barrel process to make it more ready to drink off the bat. Try a fresh one! Seems silly calling them "fresh", but yeah.

nosleep
Jan 20, 2004

Let the liquor do the thinkin'
Any Philly people have any recommendations for good bars/hangouts in Center City? My GF and I are going out with a few people there. A couple weekend's ago we went to Monk's and I'd just like to try something new and that has a good beer selection.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
I feel that, after doing a few verticals, that Firestone's barrel aged beers are best with a few months, but they're drat near perfect fresh. I didn't notice much change after a year, the beers seem to just lock in their flavor and hold it.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

air- posted:

e: Bag of Sun Chips, what batch AR did you have? I still have batch one and they've become pretty drat tart.

Batch 2.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

nosleep posted:

Any Philly people have any recommendations for good bars/hangouts in Center City? My GF and I are going out with a few people there. A couple weekend's ago we went to Monk's and I'd just like to try something new and that has a good beer selection.

Perch Pub is cool and has a great happy hour, Good Dog and Jose Pistolas are always fun, but Varga Bar might be my overall favorite, especially if you're eating.

But the real answer to this is to go to phillytapfinder.com and scope out the best taplist in the city whenever you're in town.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

quote:

Lickinghole Creek Craft Brewery
Goochland, Virginia
:stare:

(I have a bottle of Short Pump; hope it's good!)

nosleep
Jan 20, 2004

cryme posted:

Perch Pub is cool and has a great happy hour, Good Dog and Jose Pistolas are always fun, but Varga Bar might be my overall favorite, especially if you're eating.

But the real answer to this is to go to phillytapfinder.com and scope out the best taplist in the city whenever you're in town.

I think I'm gonna try Tria Taproom. It is convenient for our location and it has a pretty drat good looking taplist. They have Imperial Biscotti Break, Justin Blaeber, Cuvee des Jacobins, JW Lees, and a bunch of other belgian stuff I'm gonna have to look up.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

nosleep posted:

I think I'm gonna try Tria Taproom. It is convenient for our location and it has a pretty drat good looking taplist. They have Imperial Biscotti Break, Justin Blaeber, Cuvee des Jacobins, JW Lees, and a bunch of other belgian stuff I'm gonna have to look up.

Cool - but you know thats not in Center city, right?

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
Picked up some Hop Devil at the WF and I'm initially quite wary but always giving to give breweries a second chance; I liked the color, great presentation and everything but the finish was delicious. However, the medicinal bitterness at the end just dried out my mouth and made everything unpalatable. I drain poured the rest of my bottle and luckily I can foist off the rest of the six pack onto unsuspecting friends for the game.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Furious Lobster posted:

Picked up some Hop Devil at the WF and I'm initially quite wary but always giving to give breweries a second chance; I liked the color, great presentation and everything but the finish was delicious. However, the medicinal bitterness at the end just dried out my mouth and made everything unpalatable. I drain poured the rest of my bottle and luckily I can foist off the rest of the six pack onto unsuspecting friends for the game.

nosleep
Jan 20, 2004

cryme posted:

Cool - but you know thats not in Center city, right?

Oh, what's it considered? We get off the trolley near Suburban station. I'm not sure, I don't live here, and my GF has only lived here since September. It just looks like it's a few blocks from our trolley stop. Anyway, any other bars you like in that area let me know.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

nosleep posted:

Oh, what's it considered? We get off the trolley near Suburban station. I'm not sure, I don't live here, and my GF has only lived here since September. It just looks like it's a few blocks from our trolley stop. Anyway, any other bars you like in that area let me know.

The taproom itself is in West Philly - they have two others locations in Center city but they are decidedly smaller.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

danbanana posted:

I just wonder about the shear amount of barrels they're dealing with at a certain point. Having heard the process that Korder and Laffler did in their days in the barrel room (literally tasting every batch, ranking each barrel, and only using the "good" ones), I can't help but think that there's a certain point when that personal touch can't be done.

For what I've seen of the process, it's unlikely to change. Barrel-to-barrel tasting is done primarily for the sour beers, which are far more susceptible to variation and off-flavors due to being wild yeast/bacteria vessels. The barrel wrangler will get samples from a bunch of barrels and put them in sterile, disposable vials from the lab, then label them with the barrel number. The samples will all go through a panel of 6-8 people, rating them on a scale of 0 to 2; 0 being completely unusable, 1 being acceptable, and 2 being exceptional. For the most part, an off barrel can be blended into the whole without much problem, considering the total barrelage of each sour beer is typically between 100-300 wine barrels. Management obviously doesn't like to waste beer, so only egregiously bad barrels are discarded, usually because they're completely saturated with acetobacter after some dumbass opened it up during a tour (said dumbasses often include sales and marketing folks).

Bourbon barrels, on the other hand, are generally consistent enough that the barrel wranglers rarely bother with the taste panels and simply take a taste sample every several barrels as they're being racked into the fermenter. It'd be a Herculean task to taste-panel the 2000-2500 barrels needed to produce a full release of BCBS, and management pushes the barrel guys hard enough that they'd never accept that kind of delay. With one guy running the forklift, and two guys racking beer into fermenters, you can only feasibly empty 80-100 bourbon barrels per day once you take pre-run sanitation and post-run cleaning into account. If the barrel guys ONLY worked on emptying BCBS barrels, it'd take about a month to process them all, but they also have to fill barrels with the next batches of BCBS and the sours, and empty the sour barrels as well. Other than a short slow spell in the late spring/early summer, the brewery is bustling with barrel work all year long.

The big quandary in my mind about the second warehouse is, how the hell are they going to schedule filling and emptying days, and coordinate transportation to and from the warehouse? Frankly, scheduling all the barrel work around the warehouse across the street is difficult enough when you're juggling it with the brewhouse and cellar schedules. Throwing a driver in there, and enough time for the barrel staff to test and manage all the barrels at the second warehouse, is going to be a mess.

crazyfish posted:

If they have money to spend on this new facility, they have money to spend on extra cellarmen to help keep the barrels in line

:roflolmao: This is the brewing industry we're talking about here. Why spend money on production staff when you can put it into sales and marketing?

WaffleStomp
May 7, 2007

cryme posted:

The taproom itself is in West Philly - they have two others locations in Center city but they are decidedly smaller.

I'm pretty sure that the Tria taproom is a few blocks west of rittenhouse, and a 10 minute walk from Suburban station.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Ubik posted:

(said dumbasses often include sales and marketing folks).
:roflolmao: This is the brewing industry we're talking about here. Why spend money on production staff when you can put it into sales and marketing?

This could have come right out of an SH/SC rant thread. Glad IT isn't the only industry that routinely gets shat on by sales and marketing!

Ubik posted:

It'd be a Herculean task to taste-panel the 2000-2500 barrels needed to produce a full release of BCBS

Put me in coach, I got this :guinness:

WAIL
Jan 31, 2007

I Dunno

air- posted:

Jester King has mentioned they're gonna likely start having Atrial year round, so availability will slowly go up, but pretty sure it'll only be sold at the brewery. Nocturn/Aurelian are a lot tougher to get, and so is that La Vie En Rose beer being released today. I understand some of these new releases will be made again too, so I'm not too concerned about immediately chasing them down right away.

I was there today for the La Vie en Rose release and was talking to Jeff (one of the co-owners) about an Aurelian/Nocturn/Omnicience rerelease. There's a few interesting projects in the pipeline they need to get out before they bring back the other fruited sours. At least that's the impression he gave me.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

WaffleStomp posted:

I'm pretty sure that the Tria taproom is a few blocks west of rittenhouse, and a 10 minute walk from Suburban station.

humph, I don't know where I got the idea that they opened it west of 30th.

Birdemani
Nov 4, 2012

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/lake/munster/major-expansion-brewing-at-three-floyds/article_44cfb252-7227-5287-acde-fb2315c46c09.html

It looks like 3Floyds is planning to expand quite a bit.

Birdemani fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Feb 2, 2014

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Sales and marketing is clearly the most important part of the business anyway :radcat:

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
On this, a national beer drinking holiday, I am celebrating with a six pack of Edmund Fitzgerald because it's the best.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Have any of you guys ever brought beer onto a cruise ship? They say you are only allowed one 750ML of wine or champagne, no beer/liquor. I'm thinking if I bring a corked/caged 750, they won't know the difference.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Me in Reverse posted:

Have any of you guys ever brought beer onto a cruise ship? They say you are only allowed one 750ML of wine or champagne, no beer/liquor. I'm thinking if I bring a corked/caged 750, they won't know the difference.

Did the exact same thing and told them it was wine, they totally didn't care. Wouldn't make it something pricy in case they take it, but I doubt they'll notice.

Valencia
Feb 1, 2005

Cyril, go lock up the product before Cokie Monster here gobbles it all up.

:catdrugs:
I know this was a million pages back, but who was it who replied that they had an infected Fullsteam IGOR? Fullsteam issued an apology for the problem and is offering refunds.

http://www.fullsteam.ag/blog/2014/02/igor-update/

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Quick question--my sister's visiting south Florida and offered to grab me a few bottles of beer. Gonna ask her to look for Jai Alai from Cigar City, any other Florida shelf beers I really should try that she can find without too much effort in a decent bottle shop? I'm in CO and we don't get much from that part of the country.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Docjowles posted:

Quick question--my sister's visiting south Florida and offered to grab me a few bottles of beer. Gonna ask her to look for Jai Alai from Cigar City, any other Florida shelf beers I really should try that she can find without too much effort in a decent bottle shop? I'm in CO and we don't get much from that part of the country.

If you end up liking their regular offerings, you can get Cigar City's year-round stuff from this store quite easily without having to go through trades for it, which I did before I found out about this site.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Docjowles posted:

it's not Floridian, but maybe Wake-n-Bake? think they might get Prairie stuff down there, too.

oh, and NOT Swamp Ape (and i dislike St Somewhere, too, but it's possible i'm in the minority)

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Thanks dudes. And we actually just started getting Prarie here a couple months ago too, which I am quite excited about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Guys. White Oak Jai Alai is so loving good. That's all.