Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Shouldn't forums more generally be bigger? Aren't they important too?

I like them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Count Roland posted:

Shouldn't forums more generally be bigger? Aren't they important too?

I like them.

but twitter is like one big forum where people use their real names and censor their racist opinions even less!

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Real hurthling! posted:

but twitter is like one big forum where people use their real names and censor their racist opinions even less!

Twitter has its uses, but lengthy, reasoned (or just lengthy) discussions are not among them. BBS4LYFE

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Count Roland posted:

Twitter has its uses, but lengthy, reasoned (or just lengthy) discussions are not among them. BBS4LYFE
Reddit has decent enough discussion forums and is more well-known than most forums, including SA.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Negative Entropy posted:

Reddit has decent enough discussion forums and is more well-known than most forums, including SA.

I can't be the only one who's a little disappointed, though. SA got a whole region in the XKCD map. No luck here. O how the mighty have fallen. Let's invade Imgur this fall. Lebensraum.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Grand Prize Winner posted:

I can't be the only one who's a little disappointed, though. SA got a whole region in the XKCD map. No luck here. O how the mighty have fallen. Let's invade Imgur this fall. Lebensraum.

We got a tiny island on the first xkcd map, but nothing on the second. Perhaps a tiny unnamed island in the Forums archipelago. My theory is that it's not that our island's shrunk too small to be included, but that the scale of the map has grown too much to bother labeling us.

Edit: Wow, I completely missed the inset in the bottom of right. Nevermind! We're in both maps. :yotj:

Places labeled on the SA island: Grammar Nazis, Regular Nazis, Doom House, [illegible] Camp

SurgicalOntologist fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Feb 1, 2014

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!
Here's another map of the internet, this time as a star chart of internet traffic in 2011. I wonder what a more recent one would look like.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Population Density of Latinos in the state of Oregon, per the 2010 Census data:

For comparison, here's the population in general:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
As a non-American I am not quite sure what I am supposed to see here. It's not like the Latinos are concentrated only in the densely populated parts of Oregon or vice versa. What am I missing?

Also I can hardly believe that the 0-50-100 miles bar is as long as the 100-200 miles bar in the first map, but using a ruler it apparently is correct. Good example of the brain deceiving you.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Torrannor posted:

As a non-American I am not quite sure what I am supposed to see here. It's not like the Latinos are concentrated only in the densely populated parts of Oregon or vice versa. What am I missing?

Also I can hardly believe that the 0-50-100 miles bar is as long as the 100-200 miles bar in the first map, but using a ruler it apparently is correct. Good example of the brain deceiving you.

One thing you can read into it is that there are large (relative) numbers of Latinos in Eastern Oregon, which is traditionally considered to be the uncivilized redneck part of the state.

Mostly though I haven't really seen maps of Oregon much and the state is interesting to me.

Abilifier
Apr 8, 2008

computer parts posted:

One thing you can read into it is that there are large (relative) numbers of Latinos in Eastern Oregon, which is traditionally considered to be the uncivilized redneck part of the state.

Mostly though I haven't really seen maps of Oregon much and the state is interesting to me.

I'm not sure what kinds of industries Eastern Oregon has, I'm assuming they're agricultural? Maybe lumber as well? I think the implication is that areas with low-paying, dangerous jobs also have a high population of Latinos, but I'm really working of some unverified assumptions.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Abilifier posted:

I'm not sure what kinds of industries Eastern Oregon has, I'm assuming they're agricultural? Maybe lumber as well? I think the implication is that areas with low-paying, dangerous jobs also have a high population of Latinos, but I'm really working of some unverified assumptions.

I can't say about the rest but I've driven through Malheur County before and it mostly looks like this:

The primary economic activity, as a result, is usually ranching.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Hood River and Marion are agricultural centers, and yeah, far out east is going to be ranching.

If anything I think the political maps of Oregon are more interesting especially how political divided the state is by region and the massive rural/urban divide.

Syritta
Jun 28, 2012
Lots of Latino people in Eastern Washington too, looks like. Actually the national map makes it look like there are cores around southwestern Idaho and central Washington rather than being east specifically.

Totally anecdotal/silly but driving east of the Cascades I hear a lot more Spanish-language radio than I do west of them. On the other hand, stopped in a town once and the store had confederate flag shirts for sale.

Oh, and also this is a percentage map. East of the Cascades is just so much less populated things probably get skew-y. The Pew report talks about like, Colorado, more.

Abilifier
Apr 8, 2008

computer parts posted:

I can't say about the rest but I've driven through Malheur County before and it mostly looks like this:

The primary economic activity, as a result, is usually ranching.

Hah, well looks like I was totally wrong. I guess I was working off the assumption that a high Latino population in a rural area means migrant workers on farms, but I'll admit that's unfounded, and pretty racist. But I am interested to know why the population distribution is like that, if anyone has any insight.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I have no clue about the actual situation there, but looking at those two maps, one thing I would like to note is that if two counties have an equal number of Latinos, the one with the lowest population total would of course automatically see a larger Latino percentage.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all

The Southwest is the most interesting part of this map.

People who've never been to Texas seem to think of it as a bigger version of Oklahoma ,entirely populated with WASP cowboys and their plain, god fearing wiveshorses. So I can kind of/sort of understand why they're disappointed when they see millions of :argh: Spanish Speaking Catholics! :argh:
The last major push for English Only laws was in 2010 by the Tea Party, and Governor Perry nuked it out of fear that they'd kill the Republican party, because....

California's English only laws were passed in 1986 and started a chain of events that destroyed the GOP in most of California and created the current democratic supermajority. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Proposition_187

Arizona is the headquarters of the Tea Party and is mostly famous for being the Alabama of the Southwest , and for losing half a billion dollars and the superbowl by trying to ban Martin Luther King day. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Luther_King,_Jr._Day#Reluctance_to_observe

Ghetto Prince fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Feb 2, 2014

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Ghetto Prince posted:

California's English only laws were passed in 1986 and started a chain of events that destroyed the GOP in most of California and created the current democratic supermajority. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Proposition_187

Geez, Californian conservatives complain incessantly about Mexicans. I'm glad they're as politically weak as they are.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

SurgicalOntologist posted:

We got a tiny island on the first xkcd map, but nothing on the second. Perhaps a tiny unnamed island in the Forums archipelago. My theory is that it's not that our island's shrunk too small to be included, but that the scale of the map has grown too much to bother labeling us.

Edit: Wow, I completely missed the inset in the bottom of right. Nevermind! We're in both maps. :yotj:

Places labeled on the SA island: Grammar Nazis, Regular Nazis, Doom House, [illegible] Camp

It's really interesting to compare Facebook/Myspace on the first map vs. the second map.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Ironically that entire area was almost completely unpopulated by Mexicans at the time.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Ironically that entire area was almost completely unpopulated by Mexicans at the time.

As claimed by Mexico, as disputed by Comancheria.

HighClassSwankyTime
Jan 16, 2004

Does Mexico still lay claim to that area?

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

While on the subject of "minorities" who have been the majority for generations in the Southwest, I present to you....
the same thing, in the Southeast.

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

How does this map account for migrant workers?

HighClassSwankyTime posted:

Part of the Treaty of Guadelupe Hidalgo was the United States basically paying a sum of money for the Southwest. Fun fact: Some Mexican authorities were happy that they lost, since they got rid of some land that (at the time) was just a money drain and got paid for the opportunity.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Fell Fire posted:

I know the Census Bureau counts non-citizens, if I had to guess based on other countries' censuses there are probably statistics for people who are only in the country for a short period of time but are regular travelers to that area.

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

this kid walked up to me and was like man schmitty your stache is ghetto and I was like whatever man your 3b look like a dishrag.

he was like damn.

Fell Fire posted:

It's very obvious it includes them, because it lists Chester County, Pennsylvania (the shaded county to the right in PA) as having at least 10% of the population be Mexican. This is because it's home to Kennett Square, the so-called "Mushroom Capital of the World" and an extensive user of migrant workers.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I didn't know there were huge mexican enclaves in Washington state.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Baronjutter posted:

I didn't know there were huge mexican enclaves in Washington state.

It's like the map I posted, though slightly more people. The three darkest counties in the most eastern part of the state have ~200,000 people between them. The one that's farther west is about the same size, ~250k or so.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

Abilifier posted:

Hah, well looks like I was totally wrong. I guess I was working off the assumption that a high Latino population in a rural area means migrant workers on farms, but I'll admit that's unfounded, and pretty racist. But I am interested to know why the population distribution is like that, if anyone has any insight.
There is an extensive history of use of migrant labor (legal and illegal) along the West coast for agricultural work, so your assumption isn't entirely without basis.

In Washington state the large orchards and more labor intensive harvests still use migrant labor extensively. I want to say the last couple of years there have been protests for more pay and better working conditions.

Follow the Columbia River and you'll easily find farms.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

HighClassSwankyTime posted:

Nope, and it's one of the reasons (among plenty of others, all good) they told the Germans to gently caress off when they got the Zimmerman Telegram. Mexico figured that even if by some miracle they beat the US in a war they'd just end up with a bunch of territory filled with English-speaking Americans who didn't much like being conquered. Mexico wasn't a big fan of the US but it's been a long-rear end time since they had any serious designs on reclaiming the Mexican Cession.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

The Mexican response to the Zimmerman telegram was hilarious. My favorite part was asking the Germans exactly what navy they were going to use to deliver to Mexico the promised munitions.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

And that tons of people (although not the American administration, who were informed of the code breaking) were of the opinion that it was so ridiculous it had to be a British forgery. Right up until Zimmermann opened his mouth and confirmed it was real for some reason.

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

This might be a retread but frankly I like this thread's concept and just haven't read all 176 pages yet.

What I find really interesting is how some counties are nearly majority-Mexican, yet deeply red. The old guard must be terrified of the day those migrant workers' "anchor babies" turn 18 and become fully functional citizens.

What I find really sad is that many black people still live in the same counties their ancestors were enslaved in. (I don't think it's a huge stretch to consider the map of blue counties in the modern South to be roughly the same as a map of black population percentages by county, though I could go find one of those like the Mexican map)

Randandal fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Feb 3, 2014

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Randandal posted:

What I find really sad is that many black people still live in the same counties their ancestors were enslaved in. (I don't think it's a huge stretch to consider the map of blue counties in the modern South to be roughly the same as a map of black population percentages by county, though I could go find one of those like the Mexican map)

Well they do have established communities there, and also Northerners flipped the gently caress out when large numbers of blacks tried to move up there to escape Jim Crow bullshit.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

PittTheElder posted:

Well they do have established communities there, and also Northerners flipped the gently caress out when large numbers of blacks tried to move up there to escape Jim Crow bullshit.
That and the New Great Migration.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Randandal posted:

I think this is kind of what you're talking about.

More here: http://deepseanews.com/2012/06/how-presidential-elections-are-impacted-by-a-100-million-year-old-coastline/

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

PittTheElder posted:

And in recent years there has even been a trend of black people moving *back* to the South.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

computer parts posted:

And in recent years there has even been a trend of black people moving *back* to the South.

Why, exactly? Is it because of gentrification -- like, are lots of poor black families being priced out of living in the cities nowadays?

It's muggy and hot and awful in the South, I can't imagine why anyone would want to move there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
No jobs in the rust belt and new manufacturing growth has mostly taken place in the south due to laxer worker protection laws, lack of unions and general cheaper cost of living letting them offer lower wages.