Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

DaTroof posted:

no, i found it in the games category but i caught the part where you clicked submit with an obvious smirk on your fat greasy face

this is a p. good comeback, i might have to steal it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

DaTroof posted:

no, i found it in the games category but i caught the part where you clicked submit with an obvious smirk on your fat greasy face

the smirk still remains because you're an idiot

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

Proteus4994 posted:

the smirk still remains because you're an idiot

lol

just fyi that obvious parody is less obviously not actually a parody

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
http://blog.statwing.com/dataset-ten-years-of-nfl-plays-analyzed-visualized-quizzified-downloadable/

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

ian......

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

a guy i know is gonna attempt a kickstarter for this game he's been kicking around and developing part-time for about a year

he graduates university end of this year so he's planning on doing it then

but at least in that case if he succeeds it's pretty much going to become his full-time job for however long the money lasts (he's thinking 20k = ~6 months of dev since it's just him)

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Al! posted:

ian......

ian where are you. ian. ian. danggg

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

Miley Virus posted:

but at least in that case if he succeeds it's pretty much going to become his full-time job for however long the money lasts (he's thinking 20k = ~6 months of dev since it's just him)

i assume he lives with his mom and dad because 40k/yr is a pretty poo poo salary

e: in fact, i don't even see the point of a 20k target. if you work in your mom's basement you don't need any money. if you live on your own or actually want to start some sort of real business, 20k is hilariously, pretty much pointlessly, low

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Proteus4994 posted:

i assume he lives with his mom and dad because 40k/yr is a pretty poo poo salary

e: in fact, i don't even see the point of a 20k target. if you work in your mom's basement you don't need any money. if you live on your own or actually want to start some sort of real business, 20k is hilariously, pretty much pointlessly, low

2k for cheetos, 18k for booth babes at the wrap party in mom's back yard

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Proteus4994 posted:

if you live on your own or actually want to start some sort of real business, 20k is hilariously, pretty much pointlessly, low

welcome to kickstarter

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

Proteus4994 posted:

yeah he does

40k is too low to comfortably live off of but i guess he feels greedy asking for more?

i figure it's more of a "i want to finish this and make it an actual game but i'd need to dedicate actual time to it in lieu of getting a job"

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Proteus4994 posted:

40k is way above the average salary so youre kind of a shithead

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

transfatphobic posted:

it's actually just about average but he's still a shithead

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sham bam bamina! posted:

it's actually just about average but he's still a shithead

average wage is around 28k

average salary is higher because salary implies a pretty good job. not really a fair measure

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

transfatphobic posted:

because it's not possible that the average salary is really not enough to live off of?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

average wage is around 28k

average salary is higher because salary implies a pretty good job. not really a fair measure

in america getting a salary is universally worse than being a high paid hourly employee. that's why unions almost universally reject salaries

z0rlandi viSSer
Nov 5, 2013

Al! posted:

in america getting a salary is universally worse than being a high paid hourly employee. that's why unions almost universally reject salaries

agreed

salary = chump who is gonna be worked hard like a bitch with no recourse in america

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Al! posted:

unions represent hourly workers by definition. by the same token union work rules etc all revolve around hourly rates because go figure all their members are hourly.

you could in theory apply the same rules to a salary but it would make things more complicated for no reason

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

dont change my name posted:

agreed

salary = chump who is gonna be worked hard like a bitch with no recourse in america

in the u.s., salaried employees are still entitled to overtime pay
(but they ain't gonna ask for it)

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

unions represent hourly workers by definition

not always. my old job was a near 100% union shop which meant even salaried management was union. only executives were non union

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

in the u.s., salaried employees are still entitled to overtime pay
(but they ain't gonna ask for it)

depends on your exempt status, and most (all?) tech workers are exempt and can't get OT pay on salary

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

yeah flsa fucks tech workers so bad that for the most part even hourly employees don't get overtime even though hourly employees in almost every other field get ot

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
yes, tech workers and doctors/nurses/EMTs are blanket exempted from ot requirements :( there are some other blanket carve-outs but those are the two biggies

but virtually no one else. overtime fraud by employers is really, really common. having a salary doesn't make you exempt. being on-call counts for overtime, even if you are not actually working. etc etc etc

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
being on salary owns cause i only actually work like 10 hours a week maaaybe

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

yes, tech workers and doctors/nurses/EMTs are blanket exempted from ot requirements :( there are some other blanket carve-outs but those are the two biggies

but virtually no one else. overtime fraud by employers is really, really common. having a salary doesn't make you exempt. being on-call counts for overtime, even if you are not actually working. etc etc etc

yeah maybe technically but in practice pretty much all employers just place all salaried employees on nonexempt status because who gives a poo poo. not the us government

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Shaggar posted:

being on salary owns cause i only actually work like 10 hours a week maaaybe

oh god same

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

do work 10 hours a week or do you occupy an office or a chair and work for only 10 hours of that because there is a huge difference

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Al! posted:

do work 10 hours a week or do you occupy an office or a chair and work for only 10 hours of that because there is a huge difference

it's the sad one

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
eh

some weeks i probably do 60 hours, some weeks i hardly do anything. usually the latter are when there's a long simulation or analysis running and i just kinda kick back and do nothing. i could multitask, but eh

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
oh and i mostly work from home so when i'm not working i'm REALLY not working

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Proteus4994 posted:

take a drive down i-95 and you'll see crass. billboards, roadside stops, neon signs.

even in the "bible belt"

"even"? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_of_the_Border_(attraction)

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Vicas posted:

watching someone try to face the people who just allowed them to live basically without a job for 2 years for literally nothing is weird because it's like all of them have this one script they're writing off

"trust me, no one is as devastated as me"

"this has been the hardest time of my life, and i come to you with my [proverbial or not, depends on the ks] tail between my legs to say i moved to portland with your ks money"

i'm gonna do a kickstarter to make a documentary about failed kickstarters and then i'll just talk into my webcam every few days while i live off the money then release it at the end

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

transfatphobic posted:

for someone with a college degree and enough cs knowledge to write their own game? no it's not

but i am a shithead

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

also

Trig Discipline posted:

because it's not possible that the average salary is really not enough to live off of?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Al! posted:

yeah cos if my time was my own i certainly wouldn't be sitting in a chair looking at a computer screen

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Proteus4994 posted:

for someone with a college degree and enough cs knowledge to write their own game? no it's not

but i am a shithead

Yes but how does the equation change if you take in his history of failed kickstarters

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

i have no failed kick starters, i just have a history of discovering ways to not fleece idiots out of money

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

don't think this is a kickstarter but it definitely belongs itt

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

Werthog 95 posted:

don't think this is a kickstarter but it definitely belongs itt

who the gently caress says they're a goon with pride?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Trig Discipline posted:

its not ideal but its what people do all across the country. its insulting to say that "40k a year? haha you must live with your mom, loser"

• Locked thread