Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I am a sportswriter for a small daily. I'd like to get out of town and actually out of newspapers, but of course it's been my job and my best work is it and it's a big part of my profile.

I have a couple of questions about uploading my work. I have photographs at sporting events and articles.

How should I describe my photos? The athletes are high school kids and even though the photos are publicly available through our website, I'm a bit leery about giving it the full photo cutline treatment. We're 95% prep sports in coverage, so it's what I have.

Of course, my work is newspaper articles. In the past few months, our website has changed to being one of those that you get so many views per month for free before it cuts you off. Plus, the site design is atrocious. It's very slow and has a giant pop-up. Are links good enough?

RC and Moon Pie fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jan 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Tai-Pan posted:

Also, as a general FYI, I came to this thread to post a request; If you are interested in a company, please don't message/connect with people and attempt to "just have coffee" to "learn more about the industry/company".
Please have some loving tact and state a clear agenda and offer a reason why I should get up early to have coffee with you. Unless you are a hyper-connected VC I don't care about "putting me in touch with your network". If I had a job opening I would have posted it, assclowns.

I work 60+hrs a week and I have a young child and another on the way.
I don't have time to meet with every goddamn goober that thinks it would be "cool" to work at the company I work for.

I get about 2 of these requests a week from friend-of-a-friend type things.

That's a pretty clearly stated agenda actually.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

It's not a matter of having an agenda. It's a matter of having something to offer so that the meeting is mutually beneficial. That's how networking is supposed to work; it's not just you asking me for a job.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

ultrafilter posted:

It's not a matter of having an agenda. It's a matter of having something to offer so that the meeting is mutually beneficial. That's how networking is supposed to work; it's not just you asking me for a job.

Free coffee. Future minion.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

If you're getting too many of these requests or if the requesters are being thoughtless and haven't tried to understand what the industry is or what you do then I can see this being annoying and one step removed from spam. But if someone genuinely wants to know what's up so that they might be able to pursue a meaningful career then I'd be all for giving them that head start.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

Tai-Pan posted:

I ignore, and mark as spam, people that do this.

Most people don't do this btw. Take everything goons say with a grain of salt.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

corkskroo posted:

If you're getting too many of these requests or if the requesters are being thoughtless and haven't tried to understand what the industry is or what you do then I can see this being annoying and one step removed from spam. But if someone genuinely wants to know what's up so that they might be able to pursue a meaningful career then I'd be all for giving them that head start.

Sure, I totally get this. And as much of a dick as I came across, I try to make time for as many of these as I can, usually about 1 a week. I just hate it when the attempt is to be an end-run around an interview, but I am more forgiving with people just starting out.

Now, if you are more advanced in your career you should make it worth my time if you expect me to respond. As an example, I had someone say that he had mapped out three marketing strategies that we were not using and he wanted to review them with me with the expectation we keep him in mind when we had an opening.

That got my loving attention.

Sancho posted:

Most people don't do this btw. Take everything goons say with a grain of salt.

What is the point of "connecting" with people you don't know. On the balance, it will either be useless or annoy them. Why would you want either of those?

I don't know where you are in your career, but I actually had this exact discussion with some more senior folks and every one of them has started marking all of these people as spam. Frankly, I think India has started causing a lot of this attitude because I get 3-5 requests a day from Indian SEO/PPC/Web Development/Tech Support company owners every day.

Tai-Pan fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jan 28, 2014

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Tai-Pan posted:

Sure, I totally get this. And as much of a dick as I came across, I try to make time for as many of these as I can, usually about 1 a week. I just hate it when the attempt is to be an end-run around an interview, but I am more forgiving with people just starting out.

Now, if you are more advanced in your career you should make it worth my time if you expect me to respond. As an example, I had someone say that he had mapped out three marketing strategies that we were not using and he wanted to review them with me with the expectation we keep him in mind when we had an opening.

That got my loving attention.

What is the point of "connecting" with people you don't know. On the balance, it will either be useless or annoy them. Why would you want either of those?

I don't know where you are in your career, but I actually had this exact discussion with some more senior folks and every one of them has started marking all of these people as spam. Frankly, I think India has started causing a lot of this attitude because I get 3-5 requests a day from Indian SEO/PPC/Web Development/Tech Support company owners every day.

The circle of people I actually "know" in real life makes for a functionally useless LinkedIn network, as a lower-level professional. I'm not on LinkedIn so that I can move laterally along my career or not at all, since my coworkers certainly don't have jobs for me (now or probably ever) and may often be looking for the same jobs I am. If you are not doing social networking as a starting professional, good loving luck.

I don't use open networking to ask people I don't know for coffee. That's weird and reeks of multiple bad signals unless I really have a detailed thing I want to discuss with you, as you mentioned. I use it to connect with recruiters to facilitate mutually beneficial relationships and secondarily increase my site visibility. Recruiters being far more proactive on the whole LION thing than I am anyway.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

Tai-Pan posted:

Philosophical question I guess, but just saying most people don't go out of their way to be a dick about it because their precious Linkedin is getting sullied by those damned Indians. You're somewhat special in that sense. As for me, I use Linkedin how I want to, not how Linked wants me to. What are they really going to do about it, kick me out? I know what their ToS says, but I've never heard of a single example of it being reinforced.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

LinkedIn honestly asks for your login details to import email contacts :stonklol:

I wonder how many people have provided their work account login details just to save a minute of contact exporting...

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I use it to connect with recruiters to facilitate mutually beneficial relationships and secondarily increase my site visibility. Recruiters being far more proactive on the whole LION thing than I am anyway.

I guess I don't care about recruiters as much, they are fair game and the expectations are different.

My problem, at this point in my career, is that other people I do know ask me to make introductions for business development or for recruiting. If my LinkedIn list is full of people I don't really know, I cannot be helpful.

Tai-Pan fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jan 29, 2014

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

Sancho posted:

Philosophical question I guess, but just saying most people don't go out of their way to be a dick about it because their precious Linkedin is getting sullied by those damned Indians.

Its not being a dick. It is how the tool is supposed to be used and the reason there is a "Spam" option. I dont know those people, we will never have a business relationship and they really are just going to spam me with "5000 SEO links for $100" bullshit.

Sancho posted:

You're somewhat special in that sense. As for me, I use Linkedin how I want to, not how Linked wants me to.

Sure, I agree, use it how you like. But are getting the perspective of a number of senior people in the tech industry telling you a thing you do is a thing we hate. Take that however you want.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I'm senior in the tech industry. I've made a ton of connections through LinkedIn, exactly as the thread has stated and it's working for me great. I advise people in the tech industry to ignore Tai-Pan completely.

Feral Bueller
Apr 23, 2004

Fun is important.
Nap Ghost

Tony Montana posted:

I'm senior in the tech industry. I've made a ton of connections through LinkedIn, exactly as the thread has stated and it's working for me great. I advise people in the tech industry to ignore Tai-Pan completely.

This 100%.

Tai-Pan: the George Zimmerman of LinkedIn.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

There's a difference between being senior in the tech industry in the sense of being an experienced developer/sysadmin/etc., and being senior in the sense of having power over hiring, purchasing and other business decisions. Tai-Pan's complaints sound pretty reasonable for someone in the latter category.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

My LinkedIn is kind of a mess. I work for one large company, generally on one project, but occasionally get put on a part-time temporary assignment for 6 months or so. So at the moment, I have myself listed as having two positions at my employer, one as a Lead Software Developer with a description of my regular job, and one as a Software Consultant with my temp job. This makes sense to me, I guess, but I think it comes off as confusing. Any advice? Do people use Projects for this?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

smackfu posted:

My LinkedIn is kind of a mess. I work for one large company, generally on one project, but occasionally get put on a part-time temporary assignment for 6 months or so. So at the moment, I have myself listed as having two positions at my employer, one as a Lead Software Developer with a description of my regular job, and one as a Software Consultant with my temp job. This makes sense to me, I guess, but I think it comes off as confusing. Any advice? Do people use Projects for this?

Why not just list yourself as "Lead Software Developer and Software Consultant" and then bullet point as normal?

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
You can use the Projects feature to do that yes, or adopt the resume style method of listing both positions individually with the responsibilities appropriate to each one. It's ultimately your call and really depends on how much emphasis you want to place on one or the other by calling it out like that. If it's not really important to do so, just combine the titles as suggested in the above post along with their responsibilities in one entry.

There's no real right or wrong way to do it, much like most things--adopt a reader's perspective though and consider it from that standpoint.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Thanks very much to both of you, I like the idea of just combining the titles.

In other news, I realized just now that my profile is set to New York Metro area. Which is true in a larger sense, since it's the closest big city, but not very useful if I don't want to work in NYC proper. Explains some of the recruiter messages I've been getting though.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

So, if I'm wanting to move/work in a certain city in the near future, should I list my area as that city or my current area? I've been making contact with recruiters in the city and other cities I'd like to live in, but all of my relevant experience (including my current internship) is in the town I live in now.

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga
When you've accepted a new job but haven't begun it yet (ie I will in a few months post grad) when does it go on linked in? Should I just wait until I actually start, or put it on earlier? Having it there, I thought, might make it easier to get small side projects/internships to fill in the gap, but maybe its a faux pas.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Read this and go change your settings.

GTGastby
Dec 28, 2006

Tony Montana posted:

I'm also senior in technology, and I agree with Tai-pan completely, as do most of the other senior level people on my linked-in. It might be fine if you are just starting out and don't know anyone, but I don't know any senior level people who just accept random requests from people they don't know.

For me, it's about the same level of annoyance as if some random person comes up to me at a bar or party and starts talking about work and asks about getting a job. Tai-Pan is definitely not the only one that feels that way.

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga

Thank you, this was helpful! Just to be more clear, though: the thing is that I won't begin the job until I graduate, though I have committed to it now. As a student, this is my first full-time job worth noting. Ergo, do I mention it now or not so much?

Also, what is the deal with on campus activities, organizations, etc on linkedin? Should I leave them off or put them on? How should I deal with eg directing or writing plays and other similar endeavors? Should I be worried that I'm endorsed like a million times for fashion by my friends and very few times for anything else?

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

GTGastby posted:

I'm also senior in technology, and I agree with Tai-pan completely, as do most of the other senior level people on my linked-in. It might be fine if you are just starting out and don't know anyone, but I don't know any senior level people who just accept random requests from people they don't know.

For me, it's about the same level of annoyance as if some random person comes up to me at a bar or party and starts talking about work and asks about getting a job. Tai-Pan is definitely not the only one that feels that way.

'senior-level people'

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
I'm not in tech but when I was in positions where I was a hiring manager I was extremely annoyed at the 1-10msgs a week from people looking for "industry advice" or wanting to show me some new thing. It either turned into one of two things. Someone looking for me to hire them, or a vendor trying to sell me something.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Hiring managers having people asking them about getting hired. What bullshit.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Hey guys, let's not start this crap again. If you don't like accepting unsolicited connection requests, that's fine. If you think it's a good idea to send them, that's also fine. It's even fine to state your opinion and follow it with "and here's why."

What's really not helpful is to do the above and then talk down other points of view, particularly when the OP is in direct opposition to the advice being given at the time.

I can guarantee that there is plenty of room for competing viewpoints to coexist at the same time and each still be perfectly valid.

There is also another point to consider, and one particularly true in the current economic climate, that it does prospective job hunters and LinkedIn newbies no favors when you advise them to not act hungry and aggressive about seeking out employment opportunities.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

So, I'd been neglecting a portion of the OP, namely the making a small post in groups inviting people to look at your profile. I finally did that in most of the groups I'm a member of and in the last three days my profile has been viewed over 50 times and I've received four unsolicited messages from recruiters and other employees at companies I'd be interested in working in.

The system works people.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Problem with that though is if you're paranoid of someone at your current employer seeing it by chance.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Kim Jong Il posted:

Problem with that though is if you're paranoid of someone at your current employer seeing it by chance.

True, but if that's not a concern, you should definitely do it.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Kim Jong Il posted:

Shouldn't be paranoid about that, should plan for it. For fun I usually tweak my profile the same time I get a haircut. HR thinks I'm constantly interviewing and it pays off for me with perks. Not saying you should do the same, just that you should plan for it. HR/Recruitment where I work watches linked in like a hawk for leads.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Is it possible for someone to post screenshots of what they consider a great LinkedIn profile (with the personal information removed)? I want to have some sort of guideline on what to aim for here.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

Made sure my settings were set to blast everyone with updates before changing my profile just now :smuggo:

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Is it possible to set the visibility status of each individual recommendation? (I don't have any yet or I would look for myself).

I figured I would ask before I get any; I'm going to stop by my school after work and ask a few select professors for some though.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
You get to choose which recommendations go on your profile and can hide/send back the ones you don't like.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Mad Wack posted:

You get to choose which recommendations go on your profile and can hide/send back the ones you don't like.

Awesome. I read that article awhile back about peers swapping recommendations making them somewhat pointless. Would a couple strong recommendations from professors be worth anything?

What about from past supervisors?

I assume that I need at least three or so to fully complete my profile, yeah?

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Honestly I am not sure it matters a whole lot. I doubt anyone cares enough to investigate the possibility that someone may or may not have "swapped recommendations." There is also a number of perfectly legitimate reasons that two people would recommend each other that casts no aspersions on the value of either recommendations.

Don't overthink things.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

HiroProtagonist posted:

Honestly I am not sure it matters a whole lot. I doubt anyone cares enough to investigate the possibility that someone may or may not have "swapped recommendations." There is also a number of perfectly legitimate reasons that two people would recommend each other that casts no aspersions on the value of either recommendations.

Don't overthink things.

I had a professor (also fairly high up in the Microsoft hierarchy in my field) who who gave me a rec but didn't want one in return to avoid such an appearance. That was 2011 though, and I think he's softened up on that actually. I think the way LinkedIn is being utilized is evolving past the creators' original intent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

12 Twelve Twelved
Dec 13, 2012
What am I doing wrong:

Over the last 3 days I’ve been aggressively applying for linkedin jobs every night. Basically I find a newly listed job that I’m qualified for, find the person who posted it/recruiter at company, and then send them a message. In the past I would get a response within a few days about 70% of the time. I haven’t heard a thing back and my profile hasn’t been viewed by any of them.

My new messages are basically cover letters “Hey I saw your listing [great things about me], [how I fit all the requirements], [why I want to work for them], if I look like the type of guy that can help your team [link to CV, contact info].” They are as short as I can make them, but it’s still a cover letter.

My old messages were much shorter “Hey I am interested in this job you posted [a little about my background] if I look like somebody who can be part of your team can I send you my CV?”

The response rate on the latter is better, but neither has landed me an interview. Should I carry on doing what I’m doing or is there a better strategy? I’m trying to do everything I can to avoid applying directly through a website/linkedin.

• Locked thread