Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's starting to sound like Granny Thorburn chose Blake because he's already done the whole learning how to just loving survive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Cryophage posted:

Although to be fair, Flechette/Foil's "Sting" shard was from a natural trigger. That is to say, the only projectile that he thought it worth the effort to dodge.

It always seemed like it would be far less trouble to kill Flechette than to avoid her projectiles. Dropping the ball, Scion.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Neurosis posted:

It always seemed like it would be far less trouble to kill Flechette than to avoid her projectiles. Dropping the ball, Scion.

Well, Scion is mentioned rather frequently to be a total idiot. I think most characters notice he could have just evaporated the continent they were standing on and be done with it. He doesn't fight to win though, he just fights. Also, strategy was probably the realm of the Thinker Worm.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Namarrgon posted:

Well, Scion is mentioned rather frequently to be a total idiot. I think most characters notice he could have just evaporated the continent they were standing on and be done with it. He doesn't fight to win though, he just fights. Also, strategy was probably the realm of the Thinker Worm.

Absolutely true. While he could model a human mind it was adolescent and matured in irregular and moronic fashions. Scion dropped the ball because he is retarded in some aspects, in the purest sense of the word retarded; I would use 'literally' but it has has been driven into the ground as an adjective by these forums.

The future with the Thinker Worm balancing him out looked kind of cool, would've liked to know more about that. Even if it was apparently doomed.

Happy Yeti
Jun 1, 2011

Namarrgon posted:

From what we see of him, Scion seems like the kind of stupid that would ask his path-to-victory powers for a way to not get hit with Sting instead of a way to get rid of Sting altogether.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Happy Yeti posted:

From what we see of him, Scion seems like the kind of stupid that would ask his path-to-victory powers for a way to not get hit with Sting instead of a way to get rid of Sting altogether.

He did take a shot at her, but Parian pulled her away. Out of sight, out of mind.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Kalas posted:

He did take a shot at her, but Parian pulled her away. Out of sight, out of mind.

And threw her into the loving ocean. How did a norm survive that?

More pointedly, if Scion really wanted to take a shot at her, he would've turned her into a fine paste. Or gently caress a fine paste, a mist floating several kilometres over the Earth.

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Feb 1, 2014

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

I'm pretty excited about the way wildbow handled Fae in this update. It's a take I haven't seen before.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Dietrich posted:

I'm pretty excited about the way wildbow handled Fae in this update. It's a take I haven't seen before.

It kind of reminds me of raksha from Exalted, but the implication that they're humans who have convinced themselves and the universe that they're something else is something I haven't seen before.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Silver2195 posted:

It kind of reminds me of raksha from Exalted, but the implication that they're humans who have convinced themselves and the universe that they're something else is something I haven't seen before.

My impression was that your spoilered implication was something Blake said just to get under the skin of the other person in the conversation. We didn't get any information suggesting he actually thinks that, or confirmation from others (or Others :v:) that what he said is true/false.

My Girlfriend's Account
Aug 19, 2004

Grundulum posted:

My impression was that your spoilered implication was something Blake said just to get under the skin of the other person in the conversation. We didn't get any information suggesting he actually thinks that, or confirmation from others (or Others :v:) that what he said is true/false.

I thought this was the case as well, but if it weren't true wouldn't it count as a lie?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Saith posted:

Semi-related to the thread, but some of my friends want me to GM a game for them set in the Worm-verse at some point. I'm kind of at a loss as to what system I could use, though. Any thoughts?

Hey, Wildbow is actually GMing a PRT game over here. Too bad the forum's so unreliable. Set in Alaska about a year and a half before the apocalypse, seems to be a public voting style game.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Feb 2, 2014

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Blasphemeral posted:

I wasn't talking about stability or quality as a person, I was talking about Effectiveness at stopping Scion in the final encounter.

The idea that kind of comes across naturally at the start of the series is that Cauldron capes are unnatural, undesireable, flawed in some way; when in actuality, it is because of them being Cauldron-made that so many capes are effective against him in the end-- he wasn't able to nerf their shards against worms.

Taylor could not have done anything she did if she hadn't been a natural trigger. A large part of why she is as capable as she is has to do with the psychological trauma she suffered both from her trigger and that lead up to her triggering in the first place. Without Taylor humanity would have lost, and that's got less to do with Taylor's power and more to do with Taylor's will and drive to get poo poo done.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Okay (Pact 2.6), I still don't know why Blake can't use ~~~Rose~~~ as his familiar. Am I missing something obvious?

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Grundulum posted:

Okay (Pact 2.6), I still don't know why Blake can't use ~~~Rose~~~ as his familiar. Am I missing something obvious?

At a guess, because Rose is probably drawing from Blake as a power-source, making her a terrible choice to use as a foundation of power. Vestiges in general seem like bad ideas due to their fragility, at least as familiars.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

So much deception...

“Ms. Lewis? Is there a factor I’m not paying attention to?” "[An answer that is not "no".]"

“But I did promise I would see you home, as safe as you allowed me to be. I feel confident Blake can get a good grasp of this.”
“But you won’t do it for us,” Rose said. Still talking when I was trying to focus. “You can’t… except you had that box, and you were prepared to do something.”
“I do. I was willing to violate the spirit of [the oath to see you home] to keep the letter of [some other oath, presumably to Grandma Thorburn]. I’m glad I didn’t have to.”

"You have options. Our firm is one such option. [...] Reaching out to things like the barber is another such option. [...] The third option [is to die nobly]. [...] The fourth option [is to die stupidly]. [I'm not going to tell you about option number five.]"

“Is this some trick? Some fancy wording to scare me, kick my rear end and get me into gear?”
“I can’t lie, Blake Thorburn.” [Ahahaha.]

Honestly, my current pet theory is that the lawyers are after Rose, not Blake, and it's possible that Grandma Thorburn intended for Rose to replace Blake. It would certainly explain why Ms. Lewis is going to so much trouble over convincing the pair of them to join when "[Blake is] callow, [Blake is] new to this, and [Blake's] value to us is particularly low." Although she can certainly "negotiate with you and Ms. Rose here" and "find a way to keep you both on board". Also, from 2.4:

“Why do you want me?” [says Blake.]
“We don’t. Quite frankly, you’re useless to us at this point,” the young man said. “But things do change.”
Is there anything out there to contradict this?

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine
Ra updated as well: http://qntm.org/war

I pretty much have no clue what's going on but I really like reading it. It's different.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Grundulum posted:

Yeah, this is starting to really frustrate me. If there's a reason it can't be done, at least mention it. Since the idea is so incredibly obvious, avoiding even the mention of it seems like a massive plot contrivance.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Shakugan posted:

Yeah, this is starting to really frustrate me. If there's a reason it can't be done, at least mention it. Since the idea is so incredibly obvious, avoiding even the mention of it seems like a massive plot contrivance.

You mean like how it's been mentioned, over and over and over, that vestiges are incredibly fragile creations that rely on an external source of power just to continue existing?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

SerSpook posted:

At a guess, because Rose is probably drawing from Blake as a power-source, making her a terrible choice to use as a foundation of power. Vestiges in general seem like bad ideas due to their fragility, at least as familiars.

The deal with familiars is that they gain a measure of mortality, according to Granny Thorburn's notes. This serves (I imagine) to increase the vulnerability of things like the Fae from earlier in the chapter, but why couldn't it go the other way -- serve to add a measure of permanence to something that would be otherwise ephemeral?

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Grundulum posted:

The deal with familiars is that they gain a measure of mortality, according to Granny Thorburn's notes. This serves (I imagine) to increase the vulnerability of things like the Fae from earlier in the chapter, but why couldn't it go the other way -- serve to add a measure of permanence to something that would be otherwise ephemeral?

It might but it still seems like it's going to be a bad idea. Any power or permanence a vestige would gain would likely have to come from somewhere. That somewhere is probably the practitioner. That's my reading of it at least.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

HUMAN FISH posted:

Ra updated as well: http://qntm.org/war

I pretty much have no clue what's going on but I really like reading it. It's different.

Our intrepid duo is probably getting a condensed history lesson from the Wheels about why letting omnipotent superintelligences free is a bad idea.

packsmack
Jan 6, 2013
drat it, I was going to wait a little longer before reading pact so there would be more of a backlog. I failed and caught up over the last couple days. I'm still slightly confused, but excited about the magic system that wildbow created. I really need more updates.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Tunicate posted:

Hey, Wildbow is actually GMing a PRT game over here. Too bad the forum's so unreliable. Set in Alaska about a year and a half before the apocalypse, seems to be a public voting style game.

I'm reading it now. It has some pretty interesting details, like more in-depth explanations of PRT power classifications.

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!
New Pact is a selection of readings from some of their basic books.

So, Rose being the familiar is even more obvious now. The book says directly that Others can draw power from a familiar connection, and use it to stabilize themselves even if they would otherwise be fading. That seems like a pretty direct hint, more so than what everyone else has been saying so far.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Bets regarding Blake choosing a stone as his implement? Show me your goonbucks :v:

Less jokingly, I wonder if Blake will find a loophole in the system that he can exploit? On the one hand, centuries of practitioners haven't found something like that, but on the other... his situation and motivation are a good bit more unique and dire than most. Who knows?

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Feb 6, 2014

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

I'm reading it now. It has some pretty interesting details, like more in-depth explanations of PRT power classifications.

Some interesting stuff there. Class A threats don't seem that uncommon if I'm reading the villain dossiers for the game correctly. Kind of confirms that Skitter was probably considered an A class threat.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

I definitely had a chuckle at the bit about English practitioners using wands and going to magic schools.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
On the implement, with the repeatedly brought up Masculine/Feminine thing, I wonder if Rose and Blake wind up with complementary implements.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
I don't think Rose can take an implement; didn't her awakening ceremony fail, meaning she isn't a true practitioner?

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

So like I said, not my fault. Nobody can judge me for it.
But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.
Human teenager Rainbow Dash was hot!

Grundulum posted:

I don't think Rose can take an implement; didn't her awakening ceremony fail, meaning she isn't a true practitioner?

Not fail so much as she has no way of drawing any real power to use magic. If she had some way of drawing power that wasn't from Blake then she could affect the world in a similar manner as a ghost (I think).

Tax Inductions
Jul 9, 2007

I carry refreshments to the good guys
I made the good guys some home fries

pumpinglemma posted:

So much deception...

“But I did promise I would see you home, as safe as you allowed me to be. I feel confident Blake can get a good grasp of this.”
“But you won’t do it for us,” Rose said. Still talking when I was trying to focus. “You can’t… except you had that box, and you were prepared to do something.”
“I do. I was willing to violate the spirit of [the oath to see you home] to keep the letter of [some other oath, presumably to Grandma Thorburn]. I’m glad I didn’t have to.”

I read this the other way around - she was willing to violate the spirit of some other oath (to her demon masters?), to keep the letter of the oath of seeing him home safely.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

SerSpook posted:

Some interesting stuff there. Class A threats don't seem that uncommon if I'm reading the villain dossiers for the game correctly. Kind of confirms that Skitter was probably considered an A class threat.

Another interesting point to consider: Khun Sa could probably have pulled off the Khephri thing if he'd gotten access to Doormaker and Clairvoyant. Then again, it's possible that only someone with Taylor's multitasking power could have done it.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Feb 6, 2014

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

why oh WHY posted:

Not fail so much as she has no way of drawing any real power to use magic. If she had some way of drawing power that wasn't from Blake then she could affect the world in a similar manner as a ghost (I think).

We don't really have any reliable information from her, but the previous update indicates that she COULD have power just like any other vestige. By going out there and stealing some.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Silver2195 posted:

Another interesting point to consider: Khun Sa could probably have pulled off the Khephri thing if he'd gotten access to Doormaker and Clairvoyant. Then again, it's possible that only someone with Taylor's multitasking power could have done it.

A part of Taylor's power is her superpowered multitasking. No standard-human mind could have coordinated thousands of bodies at the same time.

packsmack
Jan 6, 2013

Tollymain posted:

Bets regarding Blake choosing a stone as his implement? Show me your goonbucks :v:

Less jokingly, I wonder if Blake will find a loophole in the system that he can exploit? On the one hand, centuries of practitioners haven't found something like that, but on the other... his situation and motivation are a good bit more unique and dire than most. Who knows?

I think there will be some loophole. Wildbow liked to use powers in ways we didn't expect in worm. With how secretive and rare books about magic seem to be, you'd think if you found a loophole you'd keep it to yourself.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

So, I stopped right after Dragon Died, what chapter do I need to start from to continue?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

SystemLogoff posted:

So, I stopped right after Dragon Died, what chapter do I need to start from to continue?

I don't remember that happening. Can you give us more info about what was going on in Worm around that?

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

SystemLogoff posted:

Dragon died in 26.X, so you would need to start in 26.4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
drat this latest update will be the one that finally got me hooked I think. I was going to read it no matter what because Worm was awesome (and I have a lot of free time) but now I'm invested.

• Locked thread