Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

MJP posted:

There's some useful info in the videos. I'd recommend watching them and go through the labs simultaneously, if for no other reason than to cover two of the major learning styles at the same time. Just so long as you have a good prep book for the exam itself, that is.

Not too worried about the exam, just need this course for the "rubber stamp". Just wanted to make sure there wasn't some bizarre requirement where it was tracking my clicks on the videos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I think I've settled on MCSA as my first cert, but I'm not sure if I should do server or windows 7. I'm going to study for either (obviously) but I currently know very little about servers so it would be more work. Conversely, I would learn more doing server 2008 (I'm sure there's stuff about Win7 I don't know, but basically everything about server 2008 would be new to me).

I know at this point the advice is probably "just get one", I'm not super excited about the prospect of dropping $300+ on a certificate that will only marginally help me. Also related to that: what's a good way to bring it up to see if work will pay for it?

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

myron cope posted:

I think I've settled on MCSA as my first cert, but I'm not sure if I should do server or windows 7. I'm going to study for either (obviously) but I currently know very little about servers so it would be more work. Conversely, I would learn more doing server 2008 (I'm sure there's stuff about Win7 I don't know, but basically everything about server 2008 would be new to me).

I know at this point the advice is probably "just get one", I'm not super excited about the prospect of dropping $300+ on a certificate that will only marginally help me. Also related to that: what's a good way to bring it up to see if work will pay for it?

Getting an MCSA in desktop support will condemn you to desktop support. Getting one for server infrastructure proves you can be trusted on the back-end, especially with features such as Active Directory, Group Policy etc. And people generally assume that if you can handle a server you can handle a client-side operating system.

Mention to work that you want to develop and advance within the company, and you'd like the certs to reflect that. Them paying for certs will incentivise you to study out of the office, and benefit both parties.

DrAlexanderTobacco fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jan 24, 2014

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

MCSA certs help a lot and make you look good (unless your linux-centric and using it to check a box). You'd get a windows desktop or server desktop based on your desired role. I haven't gotten any desktop certs, but they look significantly easier than the servers. If you look back on this thread, a lot of us got really burned by poor microsoft wording and questions on the various test. 2008 R2 documentation is prevalent and stable (i.e they're not going to switch it up much as they want you to get a 2012/R2 cert), but those tests...man. Also don't expect to read ONE book or watch ONE CBT to walk up and pass, you wont.

Just hit up your boss on asking if they'll front the money, send you to bootcamp, or pay for it yourselves and ask for reimbursement.

Canadian Maniac
Jun 25, 2000

Jonny 290 posted:

547/1000 on 640-722 when I just finished a half dozen practice tests in the low 900's

Make sure , uh, if you get signed up for a class, that they actually cover stuff that's on the test? I'd say 30% we'd never touched on. labs weren't too awful.

CCNA expires tomorrow. Oh well, it was fun.

I know the feeling. I got burned bad my first attempt at the 640-461 for Voice, the in-class training (using material created BY Cisco) I received only covered UPC 7.0 and 8.0. My first question of the exam? It was about Jabber, never covered in any material I looked at. Also, our instructor assured us we wouldn't need to worry about rote memorization of GUI menu paths, but I had a lot of questions that were exactly that. I don't do any regular Call Manager (or any other Cisco voice product) administrative work, so I was working from the knowledge from my somewhat limited lab time and my studies.

So knowing what to expect the second time around, I regrouped and re-focused my studies over a couple of weeks and squeaked out a pass the second time around.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
Are mcsd certs worth getting or should I just not bother?

Company will pay/reimburse for them.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

Getting an MCSA in desktop support will condemn you to desktop support. Getting one for server infrastructure proves you can be trusted on the back-end, especially with features such as Active Directory, Group Policy etc. And people generally assume that if you can handle a server you can handle a client-side operating system.

Mention to work that you want to develop and advance within the company, and you'd like the certs to reflect that. Them paying for certs will incentivise you to study out of the office, and benefit both parties.

I think this makes sense, and what I was leaning toward anyway. I remember seeing these two books talked about in this thread before, are they still good places to at least start? http://www.amazon.com/MCTS-Windows-Server-Complete-70-640/dp/0470948469/ref=tmm_hrd_title_0 and http://www.amazon.com/MCITP-Windows-Server-2008-Administrator/dp/0735663289/ref=tmm_pap_title_1

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Malcolm XML posted:

Are mcsd certs worth getting or should I just not bother?

Company will pay/reimburse for them.

edit: Take them.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I just got my S+ book. If the SY0-301 version of the test is retired this year does that mean I have to do this poo poo again next year? Can I just claim an S+ on my resume once I have it even if the cert just slipped into being out of date?

Zaii
Nov 6, 2005

Check it out, I downloaded a little dance!
Dunno if it's been covered, but the Second Shot Promo got a little bit better if you're signed up for MVA. You get your standard Second Shot before May 31st Malarky, but an additional 20% off. So it's £80, or $120.

http://www.microsoftvirtualacademy.com/offers/second-shot-offer-existing-IT-Pro

So, there's that. I've booked in for my 70-410 for March 14th. I've got the Exam Ref books by Craig Zacker, it's certainly straight to the point with little fluff. Also labbing, watching TrainSignal and CBTNuggets, hopefully it's all gunna be enough :)

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

skooma512 posted:

I just got my S+ book. If the SY0-301 version of the test is retired this year does that mean I have to do this poo poo again next year? Can I just claim an S+ on my resume once I have it even if the cert just slipped into being out of date?

S+ is good for 3 years. I took and passed 201 in 2011, but my cert is still good until august of this year.

TKovacs2
Sep 21, 2009

1991, 1992, 2009 = Woooooooooooo

incoherent posted:

MCSA certs help a lot and make you look good (unless your linux-centric and using it to check a box). You'd get a windows desktop or server desktop based on your desired role. I haven't gotten any desktop certs, but they look significantly easier than the servers. If you look back on this thread, a lot of us got really burned by poor microsoft wording and questions on the various test. 2008 R2 documentation is prevalent and stable (i.e they're not going to switch it up much as they want you to get a 2012/R2 cert), but those tests...man. Also don't expect to read ONE book or watch ONE CBT to walk up and pass, you wont.

Just hit up your boss on asking if they'll front the money, send you to bootcamp, or pay for it yourselves and ask for reimbursement.

I would like to add to this and add that the 2012 tests are incredibly hard IMHO, even compared to the 2008 exams. I passed the 410 exam on my second attempt, but have failed the 411 exam twice. Miserably. And this is after taking a week long class, reading TechNet, passing Transcenders with 90%+ scores, and labbing like crazy. This on top of being a 2008 R2 sysadmin full-time.

I'm not a great test taker to begin with though. MS questions are also notoriously obtuse, as mentioned previously in this thread.

If you're going to take the 2012 versions, be prepared to study like mad, practice like crazy, and know things you may not ever use like the back of your hand. For me, that includes a lot of RRAS, NPS, and NHS.

Hz so good
Jan 25, 2014
New here (just signed up today), and I'm hoping you kind folks could answer a few questions for me.

I'm looking at taking the CCNA Data Center exams (I've got the courseware for 640-911, the 640-916 book doesn't come out until Feb 10th), the CCNA Wireless (I've got the CBTNuggets and Trainsignal, but no book), the 3 CCNP exams (I have the books and courses for those), as well as trying to obtain my VCA5/VCP5 for Data Center and Cloud.

I've got a decentish lab setup (5 2621XMs with T1 WICs, Serial WICs, ISDN BUs, 2 2900XL switches, a 3550 multilayer switch, a 2500 access server), as well as GNS3, a NX-OS simulator for Wiley, copies of vSphere and Nexus 1000V from Cisco.

My questions are, what should I focus on for the exams, and are their any unfair "gotchas!" on the tests? I worked for a WISP for 6 years, maintaining all the WiFi gear, plus the PBXs, OC12 Circuits, Wireless DS3 backhaul radios, packet shapers, etc...

I've also obtained a useless ATSP from Adtran that I used to install their TA 5000/5006 aggregation switches in Windstream COs, and at an unnamed military installation to use for EFM to a bunch of NetVanta 838 routers.

What should I be looking out for test-wise, any hardware I should seriously consider buying? Any other simulators out there, specifically for Cisco 1100 and 1200 APs?

Thanks in advance, and sorry about the rambling text.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Hz so good posted:

I've got a decentish lab setup (5 2621XMs with T1 WICs, Serial WICs, ISDN BUs, 2 2900XL switches, a 3550 multilayer switch, a 2500 access server), as well as GNS3, a NX-OS simulator for Wiley, copies of vSphere and Nexus 1000V from Cisco.
What should I be looking out for test-wise, any hardware I should seriously consider buying? Any other simulators out there, specifically for Cisco 1100 and 1200 APs?

Are you a member of the CCNA Data Center study group on the Cisco Learning Network? If not, join it.

A few Cisco employees in that group are vouching folks in to Cisco Cloud Lab. You'll get free on-demand access to a few virtual labs running NX-OS on Titanium (Cisco's in-house NX-OS emulator) and there are some vSphere/1000V labs available as well.

I decided against the CCNA Data Center for now after hearing some of the criticisms regarding cost and quality that Lammle and others have voiced in that study group, but the labs have still been a great opportunity to get my hands on the native NX-OS CLI.

Hz so good
Jan 25, 2014
Wow! This is the first I've heard about the Study Group. I'll check it out. I've got Lammle's nexus sim and his book, but the next one is on pre-order until the 10th.

What types of criticisms did you hear about the group? Is it anything I should know before going into it? The main reason I'm getting the CCNA DC is because I intend on pursuing VMWare data center and cloud certs, and thought it might be helpful.

I'm getting the CCNA Wireless purely because I worked for a WISP for 6 years, so half of the material should be familiar to me. My next big thing is going to be my CCNP.

Oh, and another question. I was looking at CCNA Service Provider and SP OPs, since I did some of that work for 6 years. I can't find any books on the subject. I ended up having to torrent a CCIE Advance Tech Course from INE just to get *some* idea of what that track is about. Do you, or anybody else here having any info on that cert track?

Hz so good fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jan 25, 2014

Protokoll
Mar 28, 2003

Here we go Lina.
Here we go Lina.
COME ON, LINA!

My advice (as a guy who is about to take his written for Routing and Switching) is to not read books and take classes that are specifically geared to help you pass a test. If I could go back in time, I would have approached my certification path much differently and, using that wisdom, I would be much further along in my CCIE studies and I would know much more useful information than I do now. I'm just going to list basic advice that I am discovering/following that has helped me tremendously in the past year:

- Practice the technologies

Use GNS3Vault and start working your way through every single lab on the site. First try to figure out the solution using context-sensitive help within IOS and then move to the DOC-CD to locate the related Cisco documentation if you still can't solve that step. Finally, use Google to find the answer if all else fails. Make a note of the portion of the technology you didn't understand look for more labs/practical examples of that aspect and keep working with it. Read about that aspect of the technology until you know it. A week later, come back and do that lab again and you will be able to type everything in Notepad and not have to even use the CLI to solve the lab. This is your ultimate goal -- be able to look at a topology, identify all of the technologies, pinpoint any issues, form an implementation plan in your head and begin busting out the syntax in Notepad without even thinking about it. This is what happens when you know the underlying technology and how it works at the bit level and you're not just memorizing configuration commands. As you get better, move to rack rentals or more gear or harder/mock labs and keep pushing yourself.

- Always be studying

Download a flash card app on your phone and read about technologies when you're taking a poo poo. Take a 5 minute break every hour at work and do a regex crossword or two. Blog about the technologies. Try to teach the technologies to your coworkers, especially the ones that are smarter than you because they will help correct some of your assumptions and fill in knowledge gaps. Take notes about on-the-job applications and how you could improve your network and implement the new things you're learning. Read other people's blogs and interact on forums. Always be talking about your goals and how you can get there. Don't forget to keep a healthy work-life balance as well. You don't want to burn yourself out, so do this within reason.

- Take the top-down approach

This is the one thing I wish I would have figured out a while ago. Note that this differs from person to person and that it might not apply to you, but it works wonders for me. Rather than start with simple technology and build my way up, I now start with the most difficult lab/reading I can possible find and as I am working my way through it, I take notes and read further about some of the more basic stuff, and anything in the extended reading that I don't understand, I will read about that until I understand everything about that portion of the technology. This helps me learn more in a shorter amount of time because I'm not overlapping as much by reading stuff I already know well and picking up a few bits and pieces here and there. For example if I'm reading about using BGP communities to set BGP PA and I don't know that much about that specific PA, I will read about it. That will lead to default values for the PA, how to manipulate it using route-maps and other tools, regex practice, etc. If I didn't know what a PA was, I would read about the BGP best-route selection process and if I didn't know exactly how BGP populated its BGP table in the first place, I would read about that and neighborships, etc. This way you're not reading the same material 50 times. Note that this only works for some people and other people need the same information hammered over and over. See what works for you.

- Don't study for a specific test

If your goal is to know as much as you can about a specific realm of networking, then don't just read the CCNP ROUTE book (which is boring as gently caress, by the way) to pass the exam and then when someone asks you what the default value for some random variable is in 3 months you look at them sideways. Read the books that actually teach you the technology first. If you're interesting in R&S, you need to read Routing TCP/IP Vol. 1 (IGPs) and Vol. 2 (BGP/Multicast) and Halabi's Internet Routing Architectures (BGP Bible). If you read those books and practice the contents over and over, you will know how the technology works at a fundamental level and taking the ROUTE will be a joke. You will just realize one day that you can go take the test because anything that they can possible throw at you that has to do with routing, you already know. You don't just know the definition of BGP synchronization and what it's default is (basically what Odom's ROUTE book teaches you), you know exactly how it works, why if not every router in that AS is running BGP and you're not redistributing the BGP into the IGP for that non-BGP router to have a route to those networks, it will black hole you and then because of no synchronization at your egress BGP router, you're now propagating a black hole, etc. You will have seen it, understand it, know how it works and labbed it to oblivion.

If your ultimate goal is to become an expert in networking, don't just read the certification books and then do the practice exams from the CD and take/pass the test. That's what I did and I can regurgitate all of the random poo poo I had to memorize in order to do it, but it wasn't until I started reading the more technical and advanced books that everything clicked for me: my troubleshooting improved dramatically, my ability to learn difficult concepts improved and I was able to make steady progress towards my CCIE. If you ignore all of this advice (which is fine, because it's just what works for me and it might not work for everyone), just make sure you're practicing and labbing all of the tech so that you're not someone that knows how it should work theoretically, but couldn't implement it to save his/her life.

Hz so good
Jan 25, 2014

Thank you very much for that post! While I am asking about books and such to help pass the exams, I do enjoy going thru all the labs on GNS3Vault that I'm capable of, and I like building a topology in GNS3 using a mix of virtual and real hardware, breaking it, and figuring out how to fix it. One thing I hope I can get answered either in the simulator, or in the cloud lab is about privilege levels. Lammle touches upon it briefly, but moves on so fast, he never defines what the other roles are.

I'm a little phobic of taking a certification class, since I was actually an instructor at global ATEC/CTEC for a year, and was part of the problem when the glut of CNEs and MCSEs started showing up. My orders were to teach them just enough to pass the test, but nothing beyond that. It was all about filling seats, and getting their money. They even tried to get me to teach a course I wasn't even remotely qualified for!

I'm really hoping I can get a job where a CCIE or VMWare Guru will take me under their wing and teach me things I didn't even know there were questions for.

BTW, Good Luck on your CCIE R&S written exam! I've heard it's an utter bear to pass, and I've also heard that the all-day lab is a nightmare. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you to pass! :D

*EDIT*

Since you're taking your written CCIE R&S, mind if I pick your brain, form time to time? There's a lot I know, but there's a nigh-infinite amount I don't know. I would love to get some advice from someone way above my level.

*EDIT Mk.2 *

Well, I applied to be sponsored into the Cloud Lab. Now I guess I just reread the book and play with the sim, until The Powers That Be (tm) deign to give me a response.
May as well watch the 640-722 course too.

Hz so good fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jan 26, 2014

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Hz so good posted:

as well as trying to obtain my VCA5/VCP5 for Data Center and Cloud.

Keep in mind that the VCP is a wide range of knowledge, Network, storage, and compute better be your bitch, you also have to know how the OS functions with the resources below it.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jan 26, 2014

Hz so good
Jan 25, 2014

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Keep in mind that the VCP is a wide range of knowledge, Network, storage, and compute better be your bitch, you also have to know how the OS functions with the resources below it.

Would me having my MCSE, and access to Server 2008/2012, vSphere, and Director help? I know I'm light on SANs, and I'm hoping that'll be a part of the second DC course.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

keseph posted:

MS also has some "entry-ready" certs called MTA that sound vaguely comparable to A+/N+ but for software support/dev. However, I don't think you give enough credence to someone being capable of diligently sitting down with a foreign tech and a book and learning about it. You're right that a productive worker needs to know how to apply the theory and that only comes from experience, but there are TON of IT workers who can't be assed to sit down and learn new tech diligently. They tend to occupy senior positions (because they're not interested in changing and build up years of veterancy) and need to be counterbalanced by less experienced but more learning-focused workers so you have a well-rounded group.

This is true, but about 40-60% of what the MCSA tests on, I've never seen in 10 years in the field. Literally, never seen. I don't want someone to come in knowing ADFS down cold if I'm a single-domain shop. I'm all for people learning tech out of books but I wouldn't hire someone who couldn't tell me that they know so much of the MS exam process is bullshit, so MS-centric it makes rabid Apple fanboys sane by comparison, but they learned a lot of useful stuff and they can apply it based on their experience.

If I had to pick between MCSA and 0 years experience and someone without an MCSA and 5 years experience, it'd come down to how they answer questions on the interview, but while you do learn a lot if you study the books right and pass the exam, it's mostly a good opportunity to round out gaps to become a good sysadmin, not to become a good sysadmin just because.

Then again, this comes from a guy who's never had to hire anyone ever.

Hz so good posted:

Would me having my MCSE, and access to Server 2008/2012, vSphere, and Director help? I know I'm light on SANs, and I'm hoping that'll be a part of the second DC course.

Speaking as an MCSA for 2k3/2k8/2k12 and a recent VCP, I would say that combo would more or less be hugely perfect. The SAN focus part of the VCP is pretty killer, though - I don't know how much is NDA breaking but while you need to know in and around iSCSI and FC pretty well (FC was a pretty tough point for me since I'd only had background on iSCSI and was not really allowed to touch FC at my last job) you don't necessarily need to be a demigod.

MJP fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jan 26, 2014

Protokoll
Mar 28, 2003

Here we go Lina.
Here we go Lina.
COME ON, LINA!
Passed my RS written. What a weird loving test. Oh well, now the actual studying begins.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

Protokoll posted:

Passed my RS written. What a weird loving test. Oh well, now the actual studying begins.

I only thought it was weird because it was only multiple choice / drag-n-drop. I feel the gatekeeper to the lab should be a bit harder than that, especially when you can use it to renew all IE and below certifications.

FlyWhiteBoy
Jul 13, 2004
Does anyone know of a way to get enrolled in compTIA's continuing education program? I passed the tests and apparently missed the cutoff date to enroll in the program, I really don't want to spend the time going back to retake the exams.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

FlyWhiteBoy posted:

Does anyone know of a way to get enrolled in compTIA's continuing education program? I passed the tests and apparently missed the cutoff date to enroll in the program, I really don't want to spend the time going back to retake the exams.

Unfortunately retaking one of the exams is the only way of getting enrolled. I had to retake my Sec+ exam because I missed the enrollment period, but after I passed the test all my certifications were switched over to CE from the Lifetime version.

Canadian Maniac
Jun 25, 2000

Hz so good posted:

Oh, and another question. I was looking at CCNA Service Provider and SP OPs, since I did some of that work for 6 years. I can't find any books on the subject. I ended up having to torrent a CCIE Advance Tech Course from INE just to get *some* idea of what that track is about. Do you, or anybody else here having any info on that cert track?

I obtained my CCNA SP in the last few months, but I was lucky enough to attend classroom training for it and so I have Cisco's own training material for the cert. I had the same issue prior to the classes, my research pointed me to a couple of books from Cisco: IOS XR Fundamentals and MPLS Fundamentals. It's a substantial amount of reading, but I particularly found the IOS XR book handy as I deal with XR devices at my job. The crudest breakdown of the cert I can offer is that it's essentially CCNA:R&S with the following topics added into it:

IOS XR
Heavier IPv6 focus (it might be in line with the latest CCNA:R&S revision, I'm not sure)
Switching: MSTP, REP, and ME3400 switches
Routing: IS-IS, BGP

So, it's a wider topic base and during the exam it felt shallower than R&S did. CBT Nuggets is working on videos for it right now, it looks like they've mostly completed the SPNGN1 series at this point.

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009
Anyone use the isc2 practice questions app for the cissp exam? This should be the link to it: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/isc-2-practice-tests-app/id665006190?mt=8

They appear to charge $4.99 per domain for the question packs.

If that's not a good source, what's the go to practice test for this cert? Turns out I'm going to need one for work even though it's barely related to my core duties.

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

Protokoll posted:

Well done! Do you think you'll manage to attempt the v4 lab before v5 replaces it?

Protokoll
Mar 28, 2003

Here we go Lina.
Here we go Lina.
COME ON, LINA!

chestnut santabag posted:

Well done! Do you think you'll manage to attempt the v4 lab before v5 replaces it?

No, they're all sold out in the US. Cisco is looking at adding additional seats on the weekend, but I won't be prepared by then anyway. I just started doing full 8-hour labs. My written will carry over to the v5 lab. Probably going to throw an attempt in by the end of the year though.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

Protokoll posted:

No, they're all sold out in the US. Cisco is looking at adding additional seats on the weekend, but I won't be prepared by then anyway. I just started doing full 8-hour labs. My written will carry over to the v5 lab. Probably going to throw an attempt in by the end of the year though.

Having did some betas on v5, I am pumped for it. I have a feeling it will make a big impact on the number of new CCIE's each year with the incoming changes.

Protokoll
Mar 28, 2003

Here we go Lina.
Here we go Lina.
COME ON, LINA!

H.R. Paperstacks posted:

Having did some betas on v5, I am pumped for it. I have a feeling it will make a big impact on the number of new CCIE's each year with the incoming changes.

I want the test to be gently caress-all difficult and impossible to cheat, I feel like that's what you should have to pass in order to be a CCIE. If it becomes nigh impossible to pass because Cisco hates you and wants you to die, well then that's going to demotivate me a bit.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Protokoll posted:

I want the test to be gently caress-all difficult and impossible to cheat, I feel like that's what you should have to pass in order to be a CCIE. If it becomes nigh impossible to pass because Cisco hates you and wants you to die, well then that's going to demotivate me a bit.

I thought that was the function of the CCAr?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I had to google that acronym as I'm not a network dude. I absolutely love the image Cisco uses as the header on the cert's front page. :lol:

"Dedicate your life to worshiping at the altar of arcane networking protocols. Become a god among men. And then maybe, if your sacrifices are great enough and you are deemed worthy, one day you too will lord over an awful shitstorm of spaghetti cabling that some fucktard intern set up over his high school summer vacation. May it suffocate you in its unknowable glory."

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!
Holy crap, I think I retained about 60% of that knowledge that Odom brainspilled in his book about OSPF. It's funny that no matter the resource I look up on the internet, all that knowledge comes together. But, I do have a better understanding of it now, even more-so than my CCNA studies.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Someone mentioned a while back that there would be a new version of GNS3 released adding support for catalyst switches. Anyone got any updates on that? The website provided no information.

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012

Docjowles posted:

"Dedicate your life to worshiping at the altar of arcane networking protocols. Become a god among men. And then maybe, if your sacrifices are great enough and you are deemed worthy, one day you too will lord over an awful shitstorm of spaghetti cabling that some fucktard intern set up over his high school summer vacation. May it suffocate you in its unknowable glory."

Quoted For Truth. I'm glad I'm not the only one whose reaction to some of the cover pictures on Cisco's books and websites was, "Holy poo poo, that is some horrible cable management. What kind of a message do they think they're communicating with this picture?" :psyduck:

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

psydude posted:

Someone mentioned a while back that there would be a new version of GNS3 released adding support for catalyst switches. Anyone got any updates on that? The website provided no information.

Sounds like it will be all IOU-based, with a wrapper to handle the tedious crap like connection mapping.

quote:

Q. Will you support Cisco switching?

A. Switching is going be supported in GNS3 using L2IOU images, which are special IOS images made to work on PC/Linux. These are more like generic Cisco switches with most of the same features as in real switches. So in the end you can have 90% of the same features, just a bit slower.

Q. Will switching work on Windows or Mac OS X?

A. Currently, L2IOU images work only on Linux or Solaris. On Windows and Mac OS X, the current plan is to use a virtual machine to run L2IOU but we are still looking for an alternative technical solution.

Q. Why not supporting 100% of Cisco switching features?

A. Simply because L2IOU images do not support all of the features, we suspect that some of them require the dedicate hardware found in Cisco devices in order to work, other features are simply buggy in currently available L2IOU versions. The one that are likely not to work are L3 Etherchannel, ISL trunks, DHCP snooping, Private VLAN, SPAN/RSPAN/ERSPAN, Port-security, Voice VLANs, MLS QoS and QinQ.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Ooof. Well, it'll be good for people trying to get their CCNA or focus on layer 3 applications, but all of the left off is on SWITCH and I'm sure it's even more critical for the CCIE.

But then again, given the ROI on a CCIE I think I could stand to part with 1-2 grand for a decent home lab.

e: You know, in thinking about it, the CCNA (at least the last version, which is the one I took) barely covered switching. SWITCH goes a fair bit into it, but I'd argue that its coverage is not as in-depth as ROUTE insofar as it only touches on most advanced switching functions.

psydude fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Feb 2, 2014

Wtgamerz
Jan 5, 2005

I tolerate this century
After 8 years of teaching history and technology (adobe suite, microsoft programs, etc) I feel like I need a change, and want to start looking for careers in the IT field.

Specifically in Networking, or maybe even Security. The problem I'm facing is how to get started down this path. I've already gotten the A+ certification, and am now in the process of studying for the two part CCNA exam. (I also want to try for the Security+, because that field also interests me). I went through college as a computer applications major, but became disillusioned with the courses because I still had no clue what I wanted to do when I graduated, so I changed to education. I realize now, that the IT field is where I want to be.

Will having no actual "IT Field" experience hurt in my job search? Or can I possibly use my educational experience to help? I understand I may not get a glamorous entry level job since I don't have that experience, but I want to make sure it leads to better things. My other biggest fear is that studying for these exams is a waste of time due to my lack of experience, and even in getting them I wouldn't get a decent job till I put in many years somewhere. Or is that what it will take?

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Wtgamerz posted:

After 8 years of teaching history and technology (adobe suite, microsoft programs, etc) I feel like I need a change, and want to start looking for careers in the IT field.

Specifically in Networking, or maybe even Security. The problem I'm facing is how to get started down this path. I've already gotten the A+ certification, and am now in the process of studying for the two part CCNA exam. (I also want to try for the Security+, because that field also interests me). I went through college as a computer applications major, but became disillusioned with the courses because I still had no clue what I wanted to do when I graduated, so I changed to education. I realize now, that the IT field is where I want to be.

Will having no actual "IT Field" experience hurt in my job search? Or can I possibly use my educational experience to help? I understand I may not get a glamorous entry level job since I don't have that experience, but I want to make sure it leads to better things. My other biggest fear is that studying for these exams is a waste of time due to my lack of experience, and even in getting them I wouldn't get a decent job till I put in many years somewhere. Or is that what it will take?

You can probably really spin your technology teaching to your benefit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

PurpleButterfly posted:

Quoted For Truth. I'm glad I'm not the only one whose reaction to some of the cover pictures on Cisco's books and websites was, "Holy poo poo, that is some horrible cable management. What kind of a message do they think they're communicating with this picture?" :psyduck:

You're not working on the physical layer, get the CJ to do that poo poo :smug:

e: :smith: thats me tho.