Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Ezri was barely in that first episode. I hope season 7 mostly just keeps being an actual continuing story, like it's one long episode it's a lot of fun.

1st AD posted:

You might say its the...holy grail of Star Trek :haw:

WHY YOU LITTLE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Man just got done watching Once More Unto the Breach. This episode was awesome, are there any more alien-centric episodes like this one?

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Bicyclops posted:

Ezri was barely in that first episode. I hope season 7 mostly just keeps being an actual continuing story, like it's one long episode it's a lot of fun.

WHY YOU LITTLE

The first few episodes and the last ten are all big story arcs

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Flipswitch posted:

Man just got done watching Once More Unto the Breach. This episode was awesome, are there any more alien-centric episodes like this one?

If you mean episodes where most of the cast aren't main characters and the plot revolves around them, then looking at wikipedia... no. Three might count in that the main plot is about the more alien members of the main cast (ie. not human and not Bajor) but nothing like Once More Unto the Breach again.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I ... I started playing Star Trek Online and I don't hate it.

what have i done

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Kibayasu posted:

If you mean episodes where most of the cast aren't main characters and the plot revolves around them, then looking at wikipedia... no. Three might count in that the main plot is about the more alien members of the main cast (ie. not human and not Bajor) but nothing like Once More Unto the Breach again.
Aw :(. I kind of like these episodes, same as Face of the Enemy in TNG. Some of my favourite episodes are the non-human centric ones.

Timby posted:

what have i done
Yeah, I'm in this camp. Ground combat sucks a dick but space combat loving owns. Just got my mitts on a D'deridex and am loving it.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Timby posted:

what have i done

I just picked it up again after not playing since it came out, and holy cats is it better than it used to be. Also the Romulan PC storyline is actually pretty okay! The only problem is that it makes the Fed and Klingon storylines look so crappy by comparison.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Timby posted:

what have i done

It's a solid game, honestly don't think it really needed to be an MMORPG, but Starfleet Dental would probably disagree.

I got through most of the Federation storylines before quitting, I liked how it slowly made its way through the different series and had lots of callbacks to the shows.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Playing with Goons makes STO even more fun.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.
I haven't played STO since it came out. Do the Romulans have any major differences to the Feds and the Klingons? Like how the Feds are the PvE side and the Klingons are all about PvP?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Timby posted:

what have i done

I was under the impression that it's all right but griefing cybersex roleplayers made it hilarious.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

It's alright for a couple of weeks until you run out of regular content and hit the massive zoom climb of both mechanical and narrative power creep in the endgame. Skip all that crap and let the real endgame begin: The Griefening :getin:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I'm kind of enjoying it for the fact that I can roll around in vintage TNG uniforms and immerse myself in Star Trek sounds, but the actual content is pretty bleh. The game overwhelms you with poo poo to do immediately after the tutorial, but almost all of it isn't fun. And you can't even put your loving pips on your uniform without some kind of in game currency. :wtc:

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier is up on Netflix; it's not as bad as I remembered it.

I remember sitting in the theater wondering why did they reuse the TNG theme, what cheap bastards. Today's me can say to old me 'You dope, it's the same soundtrack from The Motion Sickness, maybe they wanted to throw more money at Jerry Goldsmith', which wasn't far from the truth as the Shat personally picked him to do the music.

What was bad were the special effects which were some godawful cheapo stop motion derivation from contemporary horror films of that time. And the effects from the TOS version of the negative energy barrier were better than the weak poo poo we got in V.

It feels like they tried to ride on the camaraderie and comedy from IV but failed badly, but overall it's worth a watch just to see what happens when you give the Shat full control of a movie.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

ILM was busy with like eight blockbusters at once so they had to go with a New York effects house based on their demo reel and even then they had like 3 months to do the effects and no money to do them with. And that's with blowing millions on the rock man scene that got cut.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
A big problem I have with the Final Frontier is how easily the Enterprise crew betrays Kirk, and only Spock, Bones and Scotty remain loyal. Sulu, Uhura and Chekov risked their careers for Kirk and Spock in Star Trek III, I wouldn't expect them to throw them under the bus now.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Yeah, but Sybok is messing with their minds. So ordinarily they wouldn't just turn on Kirk like that, but it's not really them.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I've said a few times Final Frontier isn't that bad and I agree with Blade_of_tyshalle that I'd rather watch that a few times over than rewatch ID. I like the premise. This dude reckon he has found the promised land and isn't a nutjob, the Enterprise is one of the few vehicles that could take you to such a place and the movie is full of the kind of soul searching and character development you'd think goes along with this kind of thing. Now, there is a lot of cheesy trash, the climbing the mountain and campfire songs takes cringing to a whole new level.. but at least it's a movie I remember what happened and can tell you the plot.

Knormal posted:

Okay, for my country I pick North Korea. Now how does that trial aftermath play out?

Is this because they've got nukes (?) and you don't want to piss them off?

QVC Drinking Game posted:

Iran's capture of those British Navy sailors a few years ago comes to mind. Iran held them for two weeks, denied them access to consul, and made nonspecific threats of punishment towards them. The UK and its allies got way mad about it but it didn't start WW3. Yes, poo poo might have gone down if they had actually come close to executing them, but it's not really that far-out of a scenario.

It didn't start WW3 because they didn't get executed. War (interstellar or global) is such a deterrent that they'd actually have to die, and it be indisputable (like broadcasting the execution publicly) for their home country to take it that far. The UK still made public statements about how it's bullshit and they officially are pissed, which is what the Fed didn't do with Miles, and that's important because it's the last step before taking action. Finally if they did execute the sailors and the UK did nothing (at all, like the Fed in the ep) the fallout would be huge.

Hour long train ride coming up, trains in Italy have power points next to the seats to charge your laptop or phone.. and I have Trek on my laptop. Ooh.. I'm up to The Jem'Hadar and I've heard this one is supposed to be good :)

edit: hehe these Jem Hadar cats are awesome. I wish I'd met a Klingon :(. loving Ferengi, if Quark stays in his bar and his foulness is limited to there he is barely tolerable, but don't go making him a primary character in stories, or if you are do it like the one with the Ferengi female in drag and show some of Quark's decent side. Quark just being a disgusting little troll is really not enjoyable to watch.

Really like these Jem Hadar guys though, the 'unstoppable technological might' of the Borg but without Data/Spock levels of Aspergers. The dude was so well spoken and calm, which made him a million times more menacing :D

Tony Montana fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Feb 2, 2014

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Ah, yes, the one with the Vorta hadoukens that we never see again.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!
Instead we get Weyoun, more than a fair trade :kimchi:

The Jem'Hadar are fantastic and you'll see some great episodes with them in the seasons to come.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

RaspberryCommie posted:

I haven't played STO since it came out. Do the Romulans have any major differences to the Feds and the Klingons? Like how the Feds are the PvE side and the Klingons are all about PvP?
Romulans can team up with either side and their ships are mostly better than the Fed or Klingon ones, as well as having access to the Fed/Klank ships. As for the pips I believe you can make such a trivial adjustment to your space barbie uniform and pay nothing or like a hundred spacebucks.

I'll stop now :shobon:

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

DrNutt posted:

I'm kind of enjoying it for the fact that I can roll around in vintage TNG uniforms and immerse myself in Star Trek sounds, but the actual content is pretty bleh. The game overwhelms you with poo poo to do immediately after the tutorial, but almost all of it isn't fun. And you can't even put your loving pips on your uniform without some kind of in game currency. :wtc:

Except you get a free costume change after every promotion.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Binary Badger posted:

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier is up on Netflix; it's not as bad as I remembered it.

There's some good character work in Final Frontier that really holds up for me. Most of the campfire conversation before it got a little too goofy, and the big scene in the observation lounge with Sybok peering into Spock and McCoy's "pain," are valuable moments that really help counter a lot of the schlock everywhere else. It's not enough to save it of course, just like the occasional moments of depth in Insurrection weren't enough to save that movie (Insurrection is TNG's Final Frontier in a lot of ways), but whenever I get the rare itch to watch Star Trek V, I'm basically watching it just for those two scenes.

quote:

The Motion Sickness

This could be a great name for a rap album.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Binary Badger posted:

I remember sitting in the theater wondering why did they reuse the TNG theme, what cheap bastards. Today's me can say to old me 'You dope, it's the same soundtrack from The Motion Sickness, maybe they wanted to throw more money at Jerry Goldsmith', which wasn't far from the truth as the Shat personally picked him to do the music.

What was bad were the special effects which were some godawful cheapo stop motion derivation from contemporary horror films of that time. And the effects from the TOS version of the negative energy barrier were better than the weak poo poo we got in V.

As Luigi Thirty mentioned, they were really between a rock and a hard place when it came to the effects. ILM's A team was busy with Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, and their B team was rushing to meet an impossible deadline on Ghostbusters II (a deadline so insane they had to farm out work to VCE and Apogee). Doug Trumbull had effectively retired at that point, and because Apogee was handling overflow work on Ghostbusters II, John Dykstra's team couldn't step in. So that, combined with having a very limited effects budget, forced Ralph Winter to get very creative.

Unfortunately, when they hired Associates and Ferren based on the strength of their demo reel (effects studios were asked to provide their best rendition of what "God" would look like), Bran Ferren neglected to inform them of one small, almost insignificant detail: His team had very little experience working with motion control models like the Enterprise, and they also had a very short camera track. Additionally, Ferren decided he wanted to shoot everything using rear projection, instead of bluescreen, which resulted in some very, very wonky shots.

quote:

It feels like they tried to ride on the camaraderie and comedy from IV but failed badly, but overall it's worth a watch just to see what happens when you give the Shat full control of a movie.

Yeah, Paramount's directive following the success of Star Trek IV was that the next movie had to have light-hearted, comedic elements ... they just weren't written particularly well. That being said, I think Shatner really gets a raw deal on V:

- He didn't write the script. He came up with the story, then Harve Bennett and David Loughery put together the script (including drafts done without Shatner's involvement at all). This is a script that was put together in the worst of circumstances -- the writers guild went on strike until August 1988, giving Loughery about two months to go from first draft to final shooting script, because the production needed to begin location filming in October 1988. In a perfect world, Shatner wanted Nick Meyer to write it, but Meyer was busy.
- As soon as filming started, the Teamsters went on strike.
- If you look at the actual camera compositions and movements, Shatner directs the hell out of The Final Frontier. There are very, very, very few boring compositions in the entire thing, and it's aided by Andrew Laszlo's brilliant cinematography. The movie actually feels cinematic.
- The casting is great. Laurence Luckinbill is a revelation as Sybok (Shatner really lucked out on that, seeing him in a one-man LBJ play on PBS), Todd Bryant is a lot of fun as Klaa, and anytime you have David Warner doing his thing, it's a win.

Shatner definitely bit off a little more than he could chew when he came up with the story, and things like the rough humor and the wonky effects drag it down (hiring a writer other than David Loughery, whose previous screen credit was motherfucking Dreamscape, probably would have gone a long way), but it still comes together and manages to be interesting. At the very worst, it's a really ambitious shot that misses the bullseye but still hits the target, which is far more interesting than half the Trek films we have.

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance
"What does God need with a starship?" will always and forever be one of the best scenes in Star Trek.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

Timby posted:

STV behind the scenes

I think I respect this film a lot more now, thanks.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Timby posted:

what have i done

e: I think I still have an account from like when it first launched. I got up to a Connie Refit and decided that was plenty enough. I enjoyed the space combat, but the ground game was A W F U L. Has there been any real improvement on that front?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Honestly, the ground game isn't anything to write home about, but with shooter controls (using the mouse for look/targeting), at least this far (I'm still only a Lieutenant and rocking a Miranda) it's like a poor man's third-person shooter. It's not great, but it's not a hot mess of poo poo, either.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Timby posted:

Shafted Shat

You post with bij. Please post more.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Tony, how did the second destruction of the USS Enterprise Odyssey make you feel?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

1st AD posted:

Tony, how did the second destruction of the USS Enterprise Odyssey make you feel?

They missed a trick by not having the Odyssey be a recurring guest in that season and like building up a few of the characters on it to make us care about them.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
So I have to ask: how does everyone feel about the animated series? I have the feeling that it's going to be complete dogshit.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
On Star Trek Online, the last I heard was it was a free download, but is there any benefit from buying a $10 copy of the retail release from a few years ago? (codes, swag, only spending a hour downloading updates vs. 3 hours.)

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

Star Man posted:

So I have to ask: how does everyone feel about the animated series? I have the feeling that it's going to be complete dogshit.

Never seen it, but from what I can tell the whole thing is a bizarre acid trip. People here seem to enjoy it, though.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Otisburg posted:

They missed a trick by not having the Odyssey be a recurring guest in that season and like building up a few of the characters on it to make us care about them.

It was supposed to be more about being shocked that the Dominion could take down a twin ship of the Enterprise-D like a chump.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

1st AD posted:

Will report back when I've watched the rest, I found an American movie channel on Italian TV and they've got the alternate audio in English. Watching Rain Man on a TV rather than a laptop feels like ridiculous luxury after nearly 7 months now of no TV. Man, is Cruise a dick in so much of that movie.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Admiral Bosch posted:

Never seen it, but from what I can tell the whole thing is a bizarre acid trip. People here seem to enjoy it, though.

I'm not surprised at the notion that it's an acid trip. I just have this internal reflex to avoid episodic animated shows from the 70s and 80s because of how repulsively animated they are. I mean, I'm not looking for something that will move the heavens, but let's just say I don't have a lot of faith in something made by the same people that brought us He-Man.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Farecoal posted:

It was supposed to be more about being shocked that the Dominion could take down a twin ship of the Enterprise-D like a chump.

That Captain was smug as gently caress and the destruction of the Odyssey was telegraphed hard. If they had done it a little differently that scene could have been a lot better.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Star Man posted:

I'm not surprised at the notion that it's an acid trip. I just have this internal reflex to avoid episodic animated shows from the 70s and 80s because of how repulsively animated they are. I mean, I'm not looking for something that will move the heavens, but let's just say I don't have a lot of faith in something made by the same people that brought us He-Man.

The animation is definitely crap, but it's great fun in a lot of ways. They get to do things they obviously wouldn't have had the budget for otherwise, it sort of introduces the Holodeck. It's best watched just after you've watched a bit of TOS so you can chuckle at the tropes that keep going.

It is definitely an acid trip, but the fun Beatles kind, not the scary Syd Barret kind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Timby posted:

Honestly, the ground game isn't anything to write home about, but with shooter controls (using the mouse for look/targeting), at least this far (I'm still only a Lieutenant and rocking a Miranda) it's like a poor man's third-person shooter. It's not great, but it's not a hot mess of poo poo, either.

It's neat that they've been working actual show actors into the stories with each season. I was kind of surprised the most recent one had some okay capture and hold zone combat, and people seem to be okay at working together on it.

Agile Vector fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Feb 2, 2014

• Locked thread