Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

The Evil Thing posted:

This episode seemed to have the weirdest moral.

"We shouldn't risk being inconvenienced by respawning miles away by trying to save people's lives if there's nothing in it for us." What? I guess there was some fatuous nonsense about not interfering with military planning too, but the central conflict of this episode (what little there was of it) seemed very odd indeed.

Uh, yeah. That was kind of the central conflict of the episode. On the one hand, there are good reasons not to intervene without being asked: they want the Landers to treat the Adventurers like equals instead of lapdogs, plus the threat of death has been established to be a significant one. Why risk losing your memories for no reward?

On the other hand, if they don't do anything, people will die. Hence the people on the ground coming to a different conclusion than the people back in the Ice Palace. What is rational vs. what is ethical/moral, and the limits of both approaches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
At first I was kind of "Ugh, where are they even going with this?" with the Kids' Training Camp arc, but I've grown to really love it. Seeing Minori turn from a reticent, submissive follower into a tactical leader after the mold of Shiroe is really thrilling!

As an aside, what's that word that Akatsuki keeps using, that sounds like "Sh'kun"?

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Vengarr posted:

Uh, yeah. That was kind of the central conflict of the episode. On the one hand, there are good reasons not to intervene without being asked: they want the Landers to treat the Adventurers like equals instead of lapdogs, plus the threat of death has been established to be a significant one. Why risk losing your memories for no reward?

On the other hand, if they don't do anything, people will die. Hence the people on the ground coming to a different conclusion than the people back in the Ice Palace. What is rational vs. what is ethical/moral, and the limits of both approaches.

The big secret to the entire negotiation was that the individual Adventurers would do it anyway, regardless of the outcome of the negotiations. The problem was the relationship with the Landers, because they must not be allowed to learn how politically naive Adventurers were..

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

DrSunshine posted:

As an aside, what's that word that Akatsuki keeps using, that sounds like "Sh'kun"?

主君 (Shukun)

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I'm a little bummed we didn't get any kind of followup to the bombshell last episode, but that girl does seem rather overprotective of Rundelhaus now. Maybe she understands his situation but is keeping it secret.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Rather horrifically, it just occurred to me that Tohya had to bury the doll because the body probably exploded into coins and items

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

This is straight up Rift. It's a Rift event, awesome.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010

Vengarr posted:

See the first one is reasonable, but wasn't really explored. Instead it's all "well, we don't exactly have a reason to help them", as if sitting on your hands while a bunch of people die is the default approach. As for the second reason, I didn't recall it being brought up in front of the newbie group, so how would they know?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

The Evil Thing posted:

See the first one is reasonable, but wasn't really explored. Instead it's all "well, we don't exactly have a reason to help them", as if sitting on your hands while a bunch of people die is the default approach. As for the second reason, I didn't recall it being brought up in front of the newbie group, so how would they know?

That may be a translation issue. It's more a case of 'there is no element of rational self-interest that makes helping these people a good idea, but people are going to loving die.'

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010
Sorry if that was ambiguous, but just to confirm: I wasn't quoting directly.

Translation goofs are entirely possible, but the scripts are normally good enough that I'd be surprised if they made such a howler.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

pandaK posted:

This is straight up Rift. It's a Rift event, awesome.

I see it more as an invasion event from an old school MUD. The only difference is that the enemies aren't hard as nails.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Episode 17 is out.

Michitaka please, don't you know how hard it is to replace those giant rock tables??

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Michitaka has unusually strong strength for a merchant/blacksmith. Is it just anime over exaggeration or does he have a sub class?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

boredsatellite posted:

Michitaka has unusually strong strength for a merchant/blacksmith. Is it just anime over exaggeration or does he have a sub class?

He's a max level Monk. He might be a hardcore crafter and leader of a crafting-focused guild but all Adventurers are still combat characters, unless they level up a subclass without leveling up their main class.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

That makes a lot of sense actually. Thanks for clearing that up

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
The princess makes the best faces.

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011
I wonder where the Princess will find a big floating exclamation mark to put over her head on such short notice?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Sort of failed attempt to gif the princess...

Wanted to make it loop so had to undo the zooming during that scene. It'd probably be wiser to try doing that automatically instead of manually resizing each frame.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

So it seems more and more blatant with every episode that Rudy IS a normal player, but has died so many times from arrognace/not understand party play that lost most or all of his real life memories.

Thats gonna be a interesting reveal if true. I'm kinda bothered by The Round Table holding on to the information about the memory loss rather then distributing it, they obviously acknowledge that its a bad thing to happen to people, and yet they seem more pre-occupied with political posturing then the wellbeing of the adventurers who don't realize that death does have consequnces.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Conot posted:

I'm kinda bothered by The Round Table holding on to the information about the memory loss rather then distributing it, they obviously acknowledge that its a bad thing to happen to people, and yet they seem more pre-occupied with political posturing then the wellbeing of the adventurers who don't realize that death does have consequnces.

Well, they probably don't want to make people panic when there's the goblins that need to be taken care of. They've made the decision based on Crusty's testimony that the memory loss is at most, minor. Maybe this comes back to bite them in the rear end later but it's the choice they've picked. It's not like adventurers are suicidal as there are death penalties. For now, they're more focused on making sure the Landers take them seriously rather than treat them as subordinates, which is a big thing with first impressions, especially because they're very much the Other in the eyes of the nobles.

Argas fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jan 26, 2014

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Conot posted:

I'm kinda bothered by The Round Table holding on to the information about the memory loss rather then distributing it, they obviously acknowledge that its a bad thing to happen to people, and yet they seem more pre-occupied with political posturing then the wellbeing of the adventurers who don't realize that death does have consequnces.
Well, it's information that is still somewhat vague, they've only known this for a day or two as far as I can tell, and it could potentially destabilize Akihabara if they just throw it out there, so they're probably still trying to wrap their heads around what's going on and how to handle it.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Conot posted:

So it seems more and more blatant with every episode that Rudy IS a normal player, but has died so many times from arrognace/not understand party play that lost most or all of his real life memories.

Thats gonna be a interesting reveal if true. I'm kinda bothered by The Round Table holding on to the information about the memory loss rather then distributing it, they obviously acknowledge that its a bad thing to happen to people, and yet they seem more pre-occupied with political posturing then the wellbeing of the adventurers who don't realize that death does have consequnces.

I don't think that's the case. If it were true then surely Rudy's healthbar would still look like a player's not an NPC's and surely sending friend-requests would work he just wouldn't be able to accept them? Also if people get player-killed hundreds of times up in the bandit city without the ill-effects becoming noticeable, then presumably someone would need to die thousands of times before they lose all recollection of the real world? (Possibly the bandits exaggerate their threats and possibly nobody talks to their victims but still). For all Rudy's undeserved bravado I don't think he's THAT dumb, and in fact his bravado might be a sign that he hasn't encountered many troubles before. Well whether he can resurrect will be the litmus test anyway.

And it's understandable why The Round Table is keeping the memory loss problem to themselves, it's because they don't have much information at all. Shiroe came up with the theory after listening to a crazy rambling NPC and then Crusty mentioned he'd forgotten about his pet cat. Basically they don't want to cause a huge panic / health-scare before they understand the problem themselves, because going public with their current information would be equivalent to publishing a "Breathing causes cancer!" headline.

But I still find it funny that the country is being threatened because nobody could be bothered to do an easy loot-farming event.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Elite posted:

But I still find it funny that the country is being threatened because nobody could be bothered to do an easy loot-farming event.

To be fair I think everyone was too absorbed in the whole "suddenly in a game world" thing to remember to do their usual loot farming. :v:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

To be fair I think everyone was too absorbed in the whole "suddenly in a game world" thing to remember to do their usual loot farming. :v:

Or possibly even remind everyone about the loot Farming (quest givers)

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Elite posted:

I don't think that's the case. If it were true then surely Rudy's healthbar would still look like a player's not an NPC's and surely sending friend-requests would work he just wouldn't be able to accept them? Also if people get player-killed hundreds of times up in the bandit city without the ill-effects becoming noticeable, then presumably someone would need to die thousands of times before they lose all recollection of the real world? (Possibly the bandits exaggerate their threats and possibly nobody talks to their victims but still). For all Rudy's undeserved bravado I don't think he's THAT dumb, and in fact his bravado might be a sign that he hasn't encountered many troubles before. Well whether he can resurrect will be the litmus test anyway.

I also find it a hard sell why Isuzu is so freaking out over Rundel after she tried to friend-invite him. I don't see her reacting like that unless she knew he was going to face far more serious risk than any of the others. Look at her, she's basically doting over him, trying to keep him out of harms way as much as possible.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Seems like a bunch of people group-translated the first chapter of the Overseas side-story. It's freely available on the author's website as a web-published work, so I don't feel bad posting the translation:

http://pastebin.com/8r87ErV8

http://www.mediafire.com/download/0l91gzc9u0rx040/Log+Horizon+-+GREATEST+PARTY+EVER+chapter.1.pdf

In case you think the "Greatest party ever" thing is an exaggeration:

“Well, then…”
“Hey, instead, tell me, why are you dressed like that?”
In response to Kanami’s question, Leonardo shook his head a few times.
“No particular reason. It’s a hobby.”
Actually, he was quite used to this question.
“That, what is it?”
“It’s the Turtle.”
Thus, even to the most ill­mannered phrasing of the question, Leonardo counters with the most stylish
response imaginable. What’s that shape? It’s the Turtle. What does it mean? It symbolizes the Turtle. Why
does your red mask only cover your eyes? Because it is Ninja.
Why a ninja turtle?
Idiot.
It was chosen because it was cool.

And he's not even the weirdest dude in the group, by far. Can't wait to see the other chapters translated.

kazakirinyancat
Sep 8, 2012

Vengarr posted:

What’s that shape? It’s the Turtle. What does it mean? It symbolizes the Turtle. Why
Why a ninja turtle?
Idiot.

So deep and profound. Truly the best reason to do anything.

I really wish they made an OVA for this.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Vengarr posted:

Seems like a bunch of people group-translated the first chapter of the Overseas side-story. It's freely available on the author's website as a web-published work, so I don't feel bad posting the translation:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/0l91gzc9u0rx040/Log+Horizon+-+GREATEST+PARTY+EVER+chapter.1.pdf

“Well, then…”
“That, what is it?”
“It’s the Turtle.”
Thus, even to the most ill­mannered phrasing of the question, Leonardo counters with the most stylish
response imaginable. What’s that shape? It’s the Turtle. What does it mean? It symbolizes the Turtle. Why
Why a ninja turtle?
Idiot.

And he's not even the weirdest dude in the group, by far. Can't wait to see the other chapters translated.

And the literal heal-bot

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009

Vengarr posted:

“Well, then…”
“That, what is it?”
“It’s the Turtle.”
Why a ninja turtle?
Idiot.

But Leonardo is the BLUE turtle....

Immersion ruined.

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008

Silynt posted:

But Leonardo is the BLUE turtle....

Immersion ruined.

All of the turtles wore red masks in the original comic.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Clarste posted:

The person I was responding to was talking websites. I suppose we could get a Crunchyroll of sorts, but honestly translating a LN is more work for something less people are interested in. So I don't see it as being particularly profitable.

Just noticed this a couple of pages back. Logistically it might not be totally impossible, but the orders of magnitude more translation and complexity of nuance and the much smaller audience that actually cares to read vs. watch a show or look at drawings makes a legit market for LNs not really worth bothering unless it's a super-blockbuster. Definitely brought this up a few times when I worked at Crunchyroll, and it currently seems like a good way to throw money and good translators down a black hole.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Episode 18 is out.

Raynesia's speech and the aftermath were so deliciously cheesy. Plus: spot the celebrity cameo in the crowd.

Yggdrasil325
Jul 24, 2011

Ahaha, there's an Elder Tale equivalent of Tokyo Disneyland. That's hilarious.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Vengarr posted:

Episode 18 is out.

Raynesia's speech and the aftermath were so deliciously cheesy. Plus: spot the celebrity cameo in the crowd.

I give up, I have no idea who you're talking about. There are easily so many characters in the crowd that could be some pop culture references

I found it endearing how the princess noted adventurers being "intelligent". I guess a commoner wouldn't even understand what a percentage is. Having adventurers coming from a first world country with a generally good education system makes them that way in comparison to even nobles and what-not who I imagine are stuck somewhere around 18th century in terms of knowledge and education.

Episode was good fun regardless of lack of "action". Also, now we're on a friggin' boat. :black101: MMOs and boat trips, man.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Dessel posted:

I give up, I have no idea who you're talking about. There are easily so many characters in the crowd that could be some pop culture references
Have you watched this video yet?
(It may or not be a cameo but it's the first time I've seen that type in any crowd)

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Dessel posted:

I found it endearing how the princess noted adventurers being "intelligent". I guess a commoner wouldn't even understand what a percentage is. Having adventurers coming from a first world country with a generally good education system makes them that way in comparison to even nobles and what-not who I imagine are stuck somewhere around 18th century in terms of knowledge and education.

Episode was good fun regardless of lack of "action". Also, now we're on a friggin' boat. :black101: MMOs and boat trips, man.

Its also that most of them have spent years running or organizing raids/event runs, which makes them more qualified then most militarily, especially since they can learn from their failures due to video games/wargames, most military leaders either won and carried on, or lost and got killed, there was very little middle ground there. This is especially true for a medieval-ish society with infinitely respawning demihumans. If you are a Lander and you lose a fight? You're hosed. If you're a adventurer, you figure out what you did wrong and are all the better for it.

I mean hell, some of the upper level EVE Online corp leaders probably have the equivelant of a degree in managing annoying neckbeards

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
drat, those engineers work fast. I'm not clear on how much time has passed, but to have already constructed an entire steam ship from scratch, in a world that had no ships at all before the apocalypse, is a lot more than I expected. Even if adventurers are too gung-ho/confident/immortal to care about little things like sea trials. I guess they're helped along by the fact that the world is pretty "gamey" and they all have superhuman strength and endurance, but even just looking at the materials required it seems like a lot to gather and process in a short time.

Makes me wonder why it's unarmed, you'd think a bunch of gamers would focus on weaponizing everything they can. A simple cannon ought to be easy enough to build, surely a lot simpler than a steam engine large enough for a ship, unless they can't make gunpowder at all. Though I can also see them not feeling that they need to bother when they could just use magic.

I think it was implied several episodes ago that PoTL do not have ships. So I found it odd that the princess wasn't really amazed by the steam ship. Even if I misunderstood and PoTL do have ships with sails she should still probably find a ship that can move under its own power to be shocking.

This episode also brings up the general breadth of knowledge each adventurer has, especially when compared with PoTL. The adventurers as a group probably have all the knowledge and expertise they need to push the world's technology ahead hundreds of years practically overnight. It doesn't look like Log Horizon is going to go that way, outside of individual efforts like the steam ship, but it would probably make a good spin-off series.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
It's pretty amazing how they made every Adventurer distinct. Is there a list somewhere on recurring minor Adventurers? I could swear I've seen a few of them before as background characters.

Desuwa posted:

drat, those engineers work fast. I'm not clear on how much time has passed, but to have already constructed an entire steam ship from scratch, in a world that had no ships at all before the apocalypse, is a lot more than I expected. Even if adventurers are too gung-ho/confident/immortal to care about little things like sea trials. I guess they're helped along by the fact that the world is pretty "gamey" and they all have superhuman strength and endurance, but even just looking at the materials required it seems like a lot to gather and process in a short time.

Makes me wonder why it's unarmed, you'd think a bunch of gamers would focus on weaponizing everything they can. A simple cannon ought to be easy enough to build, surely a lot simpler than a steam engine large enough for a ship, unless they can't make gunpowder at all. Though I can also see them not feeling that they need to bother when they could just use magic.

Mild mechanics spoiler from the LN which would probably never come up:
When working with engineering they can bulk manufacture parts using the menu system in 10 seconds per part given the right raw materials, so any wealthy guild can produce nearly unlimited quantities of metal plates, gears and rivets with farming to feed the industrial beast.

As for weapons, making cannons that can outgun an Adventurer would require some advanced knowledge of ballistics, gunpowder and firearms in general, things which would be kinda rare in the typical young adult Japanese, while steam engines would be probably pretty straightforward to engineering students. Not to mention trying to outgun a level 90 adventurer for damage.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Conot posted:

I mean hell, some of the upper level EVE Online corp leaders probably have the equivalent of a degree in managing annoying neckbeards

Some of the goon accounts managers got hired by CCP (developers of the game, and also the people that manage the game's mind-mindbogglingly complex economy) as economists, if I remember correctly. So yeah, you're pretty drat competent if you can do that kind of thing.

veekie posted:

It's pretty amazing how they made every Adventurer distinct. Is there a list somewhere on recurring minor Adventurers? I could swear I've seen a few of them before as background characters.

I noticed that too, and it's really neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Since subclasses can have combat effects and subclasses can be freely changed, perhaps introducing guns could allow for the creation of a gun-based subclass. For other subclasses, they just need to fulfill the requirements and talk to an npc to become one. So, if a potl could be trained in the use of guns they could perhaps become the trainer npc.

Well, that's a bit out there, but I do like when this show subverts the system.

Edit: A lot of the recurring background characters are just members of the West Wind Brigade.

• Locked thread