Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Now I got it. I made it just how I wanted it, and found out that it sounds even better with a high-pass filter. Thanks again guys! I'd be lost without this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

agscala
Jul 12, 2008

I'm curious what synth techniques were able to create a sound in the song here:

The Field - The Deal @ 4:00
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5I41qt-O8Rk

You can hear a synth that slowly sweeps back and forth between low and high.

I'm not exactly interested in remaking this exact sound, but I want to know what you guys think about how he makes it sound like its cutting in and out at various rates. My coworker guesses that he uses a gate, what do you guys think?

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

agscala posted:

I'm curious what synth techniques were able to create a sound in the song here:

The Field - The Deal @ 4:00
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5I41qt-O8Rk

You can hear a synth that slowly sweeps back and forth between low and high.

I'm not exactly interested in remaking this exact sound, but I want to know what you guys think about how he makes it sound like its cutting in and out at various rates. My coworker guesses that he uses a gate, what do you guys think?

It sounds like he has a very noisy patch that is first being filtered by a slow and deep sine wave LFO with a splash of resonance (and the resonance sweeping up and down is what makes the basic pitch sweeping sound), and while he could be using a gate hooked up to an arpeggiator it's also possible that he has another LFO with a square wave set strong enough so that it totally closes the low pass filter when it's on the down part of the wave - and then has that running on a pattern with an arpeggiator or something similar (and some synths let you modify one LFO with another so you could make a pattern by having two squares at differing speeds). At least that's how I'd try to do it.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
VV Thanks! :cheers:

No. 9 fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Feb 1, 2014

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

No. 9 posted:

I figure this might have been answered but don't know what the term for it is. How does one do this vocal pitch effect thing?
Timestretching and pitch shifting. It's also possible to do this with Melodyne or Autotune, directly - you just force the pitch down or up.

quote:

Also what's the general synth used for the trap aspect in it? I know they use Ableton Live.

Doesn't matter much as long as you use a bandpass filter or EQ to make it nasal.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
I'm currently producing a soundbank for Massive. What do you guys look for in a bank?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

wayfinder posted:

I'm currently producing a soundbank for Massive. What do you guys look for in a bank?
I don't even have Massive, but I guess I'd appreciate attention to detail in things like a couple of sensible performance controls in the macro section. Like, if you've got a pluck sound, there could be a knob dedicated to amplitude envelope decay + filter cutoff, with proper ranges set (this is a thing in Massive, right?), or highpass freq + reverb wet/dry + a touch of noise level for some trancey lead; combos like that.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Ive got another group of sounds I am trying to imitate.I am working on making dirty-mechanical-noise-type sounds, among other things.

The mechanical growling sound right at the start of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txAP8Es4nz0 is something I have not heard before, how do you make that sound?

The second one is a sound from this which plays starting at 2:44 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJJ3AzCYooI

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

I am the M00N posted:

Ive got another group of sounds I am trying to imitate.I am working on making dirty-mechanical-noise-type sounds, among other things.

The mechanical growling sound right at the start of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txAP8Es4nz0 is something I have not heard before, how do you make that sound?

The second one is a sound from this which plays starting at 2:44 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJJ3AzCYooI

The answer to both your questions is distortion. Specifically, the first one is a patch with the filter resonance cranked all the way up and the cutoff at about 1/2, then distortion then possibly some reverb. Second one, source doesn't really matter, feed anything into enough distortion and it will all end up sounding the same.

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

You'll love me, I promise.
Yep, nothing but effects. The source sound hardly matters.

Guitar, synth, vocals, whatever.

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8UyHeGW2qQ

Where is the cheesy pan flute in this song from?

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Number Two Stunna posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8UyHeGW2qQ

Where is the cheesy pan flute in this song from?

Given the time period, statistically it's from a DX7.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Sizone posted:

The answer to both your questions is distortion. Specifically, the first one is a patch with the filter resonance cranked all the way up and the cutoff at about 1/2, then distortion then possibly some reverb. Second one, source doesn't really matter, feed anything into enough distortion and it will all end up sounding the same.

I was wondering if you know any free vst programs I can use for distortion?

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

I am the M00N posted:

I was wondering if you know any free vst programs I can use for distortion?

Here are some of the ones I use:

Subtle: FerricTDS
Simple: IVGI
Tape: Ferox
Sound Quality: Timemachine
M/S processing: Rescue Mk II
Amp: Thrillseeker VBL
Exciter: Thrillseeker XTC
Combfilter: BoomComb
Glitch: SupaTrigga
Saturation (and much more): NastyVCS
Phase/Distortion: SupaPhaser
Stereo Overdrive: UpStereo
Dynamics tool that can be abused for distortion: Limiter6

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Sizone posted:

Given the time period, statistically it's from a DX7.

Given the fact that that sounds suspiciously like the generic GM pan flute sound it's actually likely the other popular 80's digital synth: D50. Or any of the other early Roland romplers.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

HotCanadianChick posted:

Given the fact that that sounds suspiciously like the generic GM pan flute sound it's actually likely the other popular 80's digital synth: D50. Or any of the other early Roland romplers.

D50, 1987. Valerie, 1986. Man, that even predates the MT-32. Also, calling a D50 a rompler is arguable.

polynominal-c
Jan 18, 2003

How to get such an 'evil' sounding synth?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyhkoZlMhzM

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

polynominal-c posted:

How to get such an 'evil' sounding synth?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyhkoZlMhzM

It sounds abrasive like FM... You could probably get close with FM8, distortion, reverb and some filter envelope to make it open up.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

ashgromnies posted:

It sounds abrasive like FM... You could probably get close with FM8, distortion, reverb and some filter envelope to make it open up.

A lot of the evilness comes from the background drone. Like how a small child looks cute when it's running around through a park, but would look scary running through, say, an abattoir.

Troglyfe
Jan 2, 2014

Sizone posted:

A lot of the evilness comes from the background drone. Like how a small child looks cute when it's running around through a park, but would look scary running through, say, an abattoir.

I'm not terribly experienced with synthesis so take this with a grain of salt, but the background drone sounds to me like two chorus'd saw waves - one playing at the perfect fifth of the other (7 semitones up) - with a lowpass filter that sweeps subtly up and down.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
I'm thinking ring mod tuned so that you get a similar effect to detuning osc 2 an octave and 4 semitones.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
I have a bit of a strange one. I need some help recreating a synth sound from one of my own songs. You can listen to it here: https://soundcloud.com/jamesduffy-1/dont-look-for-me

The lead synth uses a preset in Zebra2 called HS Room 5 (with a filter and some compression and distortion). I loved the sound of it and ended up writing a whole song around it. Now my band is trying to work out how to play it live. However, I never bought the Zebra 2 VST, and the demo version stops working after 30 minutes, which is really irritating when we're rehearsing.

I'm wondering if it can be recreated using a free synth instrument like P8, Synth1 or one of Ableton's synths. I spent some time trying to do it myself, but I'm a bit of a synth amateur I haven't got anything sounding nearly as good. It's particularly the filter envelope I can't get sounding right.

Can anyone listen to it and hazard a guess at whether it can be done? Here's a screenshot of the settings in Zebra 2, if that helps: http://i.imgur.com/79y22Np.png

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
I have no idea how to recreate that sound but I really like that track.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Popcorn posted:

I'm wondering if it can be recreated using a free synth instrument like P8, Synth1 or one of Ableton's synths. I spent some time trying to do it myself, but I'm a bit of a synth amateur I haven't got anything sounding nearly as good. It's particularly the filter envelope I can't get sounding right.

Buy a copy of Computer Music magazine to get Zebra|CM for free. Zebra has a lot of unique magic in its oscillators and filters which Howard Scarr exploits to the max in his presets. Trying to emulate such tonality elsewhere is going to be one hell of a pain compared to doing it within the same engine (albeit slightly cut down in the CM edition).

(Zebralette can be downloaded for free straight from u-he.com but is even more cut down than the |CM edition, so do try getting Computer Music if you can. It's worth it just for that plug-in!)

polynominal-c, you should also look into using Zebralette/Zebra|CM/Zebra. It's oscillator FX are perfect for sculpting those dark, evil motion timbres.

Edit: actually, everyone into great and deep sound design needs to get into Zebra. Partner it with Aalto and you'll have enough sonic juice to survive for decades.

ynohtna fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Feb 2, 2014

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
I don't think this is a complicated question, but I don't know what I would search on Google for this. How can I replicate that 'turn up' effect that's going on there. I know it's being slowed down but I don't understand how the part before the little bass kick thing is being done.

https://soundcloud.com/keevo/turn-up-sample

blevins
Nov 20, 2011
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had any insight on how one might program an electronic tanpura drone sound on a synth. Judging by the sound in the youtube link below, it reminds me a bit of the tones from FM synthesis, but I'm pretty much a babe in the woods when it comes to synth programming...just interested in how this particular drone sound is made and I couldn't find much in the ways of tutorials online. Any thoughts or ideas much appreciated!

youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9X-w83TTPA

blevins
Nov 20, 2011
While I'm at it,

I've been wondering for a long time what effect creates the echoey intro sound on Chairlift's "Bruises." The sound comes in at 13 seconds into the song. At first blush it reminds me of some of the sounds I've heard come out of Soundtoys' Crystallizer plugin...but then again, maybe it's something more simple. Thanks in advance!

here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQ9hLOHj8ag

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I have no idea how to recreate that sound but I really like that track.

Thanks!

ynohtna posted:

Buy a copy of Computer Music magazine to get Zebra|CM for free. Zebra has a lot of unique magic in its oscillators and filters which Howard Scarr exploits to the max in his presets. Trying to emulate such tonality elsewhere is going to be one hell of a pain compared to doing it within the same engine (albeit slightly cut down in the CM edition).

(Zebralette can be downloaded for free straight from u-he.com but is even more cut down than the |CM edition, so do try getting Computer Music if you can. It's worth it just for that plug-in!)

I had no idea about this. Thanks for the tip, it sounds promising.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Popcorn posted:

I had no idea about this. Thanks for the tip, it sounds promising.

No problem, mate, and I, too, dig your tune. :)

Just a quick correction, though: Zebralette is not a cut down version of Zebra|CM. They each have a different subset of features to the full Zebra so do try to get both and dig deep. Layered together they make a powerhouse source for evil, dark drones, groans, pads, zaps, etc etc (at least until one can't hold back from buying the full Zebra for maximum satisfaction). Anyway, with one or both of the the freebie versions you should definitely get drat close to your desired sound.

Zebra|CM edition is only 32 bit, and has 2 oscillators but lacks spectro/geo wave editing and the amazing oscillator FX. It does have a post-oscillator filter, with a myriad of filter types to choose from.

Zebralette has a single oscillator but with the full set of deep editing features on it including dual modulatable osc FX. It also has an multi-segment envelope generator on top of the base env and LFO options. There's no filter inside Zebralette (!) although one of the osc FX choices is a filter, and the oscs can be manipulated and warped to such a degree that it's not really needed a lot of the time. Also, the chorus effect can be abused to take out any excessive top and bottom end.

Edit: and of course every oscillator in any of the Zebras can be instantly cloned through a quick drop-down menu into 2, 4 or 11 (!) detuned and panned copies of itself for added thickness and insanity. :catdrugs:

ynohtna fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Feb 2, 2014

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

blevins posted:

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had any insight on how one might program an electronic tanpura drone sound on a synth. Judging by the sound in the youtube link below, it reminds me a bit of the tones from FM synthesis, but I'm pretty much a babe in the woods when it comes to synth programming...just interested in how this particular drone sound is made and I couldn't find much in the ways of tutorials online. Any thoughts or ideas much appreciated!

youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9X-w83TTPA

Rompler, sitar patch. Serioulsy, it's sample playback with a looped portion in the middle. Wavetable synths are also -really- good for getting drones like that.

Second sound, I'm having a hard time placing the source instrument but 1: reverse a sound, apply a delay then flip it back 2: apply an envelope with a fairly slow attack, 3: chorus or celeste.

Sizone fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Feb 2, 2014

blevins
Nov 20, 2011

Sizone posted:

Rompler, sitar patch. Serioulsy, it's sample playback with a looped portion in the middle. Wavetable synths are also -really- good for getting drones like that.

Second sound, I'm having a hard time placing the source instrument but 1: reverse a sound, apply a delay then flip it back 2: apply an envelope with a fairly slow attack, 3: chorus or celeste.

Good to know, thanks!

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

I just went out and bought an issue of Computer Music but I think I got some kind of special issue for morons because the CD doesn't have Zebra on it. :argh: I guess I'll look tomorrow and see if there's a "normal" edition.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Sizone posted:

Plucked string synthesis could get pretty close too, I think. But that's by no means a shortcut, it's just another way to get a sitar-like sample.

Popcorn posted:

I just went out and bought an issue of Computer Music but I think I got some kind of special issue for morons because the CD doesn't have Zebra on it. :argh: I guess I'll look tomorrow and see if there's a "normal" edition.
Talking out of my rear end here, but maybe check out the website and see if you can download it with the help of a code in the magazine or something like that. I doubt they include everything they ever gave away for free on every cd with every magazine.

Or maybe I'm wrong about how that works.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

OK, I managed to get a copy at last.

Feeding the Zebra 2 preset into Zebra CM sort of works but it adds a lot of white noise. I took that out and now I have something that's SORT of there. A lot of learning to do...

e: biggest mystery so far is that setting the sustain to maximum doesn't actually seem to infinitely sustain the notes.

Popcorn fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Feb 3, 2014

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Popcorn posted:

e: biggest mystery so far is that setting the sustain to maximum doesn't actually seem to infinitely sustain the notes.
Sustain will set sustain level, rather than sustain time.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Uh... can I get it to sustain the level... over time... for as long as I hold the key?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Popcorn posted:

Uh... can I get it to sustain the level... over time... for as long as I hold the key?
Well, that's generally how it works. Not sure if you're reporting that you just figured that out or if you're telling me that with that preset that isn't the case.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Yes, usually when I set sustain to maximum I expect it to sustain for as long as I hold the key. But that isn't happening here and I'm not sure why. Don't worry, I'm not expecting you/anyone to figure out why.

But your initial response baffled me completely :)

e: oh wait, I think I figured out what you mean about level and not time. right, hm.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
If you want it to keep sounding without pressing keys you have a few options:

- hope the plugin has a "drone" mode
- hope the plugin has a way to disable the envelope
- hope the Release stage of the envelope has an "infinite" value
- take a piece of cardboard/credit card, wedge it between two keys so that one of 'm is depressed
- buy a sustain pedal, play the note and put a brick on it (the sustain pedal, that is)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Laserjet 4P posted:

If you want it to keep sounding without pressing keys you have a few options:

No, I just want it to sustain while I hold the note. This is purely me being poo poo at Zebra.

• Locked thread