Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

I buy shoes in Hong Kong. It's cheaper and they're better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Magna Kaser posted:

I bought a pair of pretty normal street shoes at the Nike shop in Shanghai for 338rmb (not on sale). I guess if you want to go real cheap and get some li nings or something you can go that way, but my last 200rmb pair of li nings crapped out after like 6 months whereas the last decent pair of shoes I brought from the US cost about the same as these Nikes and lasted over a year.

I'm just saying there are shoes at those places that are like 50-60USD which is not a bad price for shoes.

I always had difficulty finding size 46-47 that weren't the ridiculous basketball shoes. Finding a reasonably priced shoe that fit was a crapshoot for me. Now, doing that shopping in BJ/SH might get me better results...

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

The Worst Muslim posted:

If GBM talks about Amber, smile politely and find an escape route

Hahaha

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

blackbox posted:

All my visa stuff finally came through, so in the not so distant future I'm going to be a Tianjin goon! :)

Any suggestions on stuff I should bring with me? Anything that's difficult/expensive to obtain that you wouldn't expect?

Deodorant, or any type of brand specific toiletries that you like.

If you are a girl, tampons.

When you get to town, if you need any help, hit me up. Been here over four years and am not going anywhere anytime soon.

FearCotton
Sep 18, 2012

HAPPY F!UN MAGIC ENGLISH TIEM~~~

goldboilermark posted:

Deodorant, or any type of brand specific toiletries that you like.

If you are a girl, tampons.

When you get to town, if you need any help, hit me up. Been here over four years and am not going anywhere anytime soon.

Adding on, if you are a goonette (or goon, no judgement):

1. cosmetics, if you're into non-Asian brands. Maybelline and whatnot have a large markup here. If you're into Korean/Chinese skin care though, you've hit the jackpot.
2. bras. Getting a decent one means you have to go high-end, and if you're over a C you're screwed.

and to add to food chat:
bring some spices or flavorings you like; I like to bake, so in addition to spices I brought cacao powder and some extracts.

edit: beyond your prescriptions, bring along a bit of excedrin/dayquil/immodium. Things you CAN get in China, but are sometimes difficult to find. Last thing you want to do when getting the china shits is to stagger into a pharmacy and beg for something to make it stop.

FearCotton fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Feb 1, 2014

tacoman165
Feb 9, 2005
Western-sized condoms unless you like hulking out of Jizzbons with your monster dong.

Jimmy Little Balls
Aug 23, 2009
Jissbon never fails to makes me laugh. I am very childish.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Jimmy Little Balls posted:

Jissbon never fails to makes me laugh. I am very childish.

Someone explain to me the comedy of jissbons, I desire to laugh (I am also childish)

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

Ceciltron posted:

Someone explain to me the comedy of jissbons, I desire to laugh (I am also childish)

Really?

You put Jissbons on your winky to stop your jizz from becoming dreaded goonspawn.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Le jissbon etait tre bon pour homme.

Je suis homosexual. Homosexual terriblé.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Jissbons are made by a company with an international rep for union busting. I am sure there is a joke in there somewhere, but it eludes me at the moment.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Are there ethical condoms to be had in China?

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

VideoTapir posted:

No.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

VideoTapir posted:

:catholic:

blackbox
Aug 7, 2006
Thanks for the suggestions guys! I am I guy so it'll be more deodorant and condoms than tampons and bras. ;) I guess anything I run out of can be had on taobao for a price.

My feet aren't too big, I'm a UK 10 (apparently EU44.5/US10.5) so I wasn't thinking that would be an issue. But now I think maybe I should bring an extra pair to be safe.

Another thing I have been wondering about is an oven. The apartment I'll be renting doesn't have one but there are some things I like to cook which need one (roast chicken/potatoes etc). I've seen you can get those little table top ones, are they any good, or too underpowered to cook anything substantial?

FearCotton
Sep 18, 2012

HAPPY F!UN MAGIC ENGLISH TIEM~~~

blackbox posted:

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I am I guy so it'll be more deodorant and condoms than tampons and bras. ;) I guess anything I run out of can be had on taobao for a price.

My feet aren't too big, I'm a UK 10 (apparently EU44.5/US10.5) so I wasn't thinking that would be an issue. But now I think maybe I should bring an extra pair to be safe.

Another thing I have been wondering about is an oven. The apartment I'll be renting doesn't have one but there are some things I like to cook which need one (roast chicken/potatoes etc). I've seen you can get those little table top ones, are they any good, or too underpowered to cook anything substantial?

I love our little confection oven--we spent about 300rmb on ours and it works fine. We bought ours at a local store, probably would have been cheaper on taobao. You'll have to fuss with it a bit the first time you cook anything, as the wattage can be weird, but in general it works fine. If you've got anything fancy you like to make then I would suggest you a) look in advance on taobao or b) bring it with you from home. I got cupcake and roasting pans on taobao just fine, but a friend of mine brought over fancy baking pans because she's really, really into making pastries and couldn't find good ones on taobao.

Jimmy Little Balls
Aug 23, 2009
I haven't really looked at shoes here but most places seem to go up to a Chinese 45 which is a UK 10.5 so you should just about be ok for shoes. As for ovens I don't have one but all the other teachers in my building do and they cook all sorts of stuff and don't have any problems, don't know if you'll be able to fit a whole chicken in one though.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Jimmy Little Balls posted:

I haven't really looked at shoes here but most places seem to go up to a Chinese 45 which is a UK 10.5 so you should just about be ok for shoes. As for ovens I don't have one but all the other teachers in my building do and they cook all sorts of stuff and don't have any problems, don't know if you'll be able to fit a whole chicken in one though.

45 is usually only available in like 1 out of 10 styles. If you've got feet bigger than a Chinese 43, don't bother looking for the shoes you like first, ask them what they have in your size.

If you've got broad shoulders you're going to have trouble with shirts and jackets; and about half the sizing charts on Taobao are wrong (they tend to overestimate how big the clothes are).

Pants shouldn't be a problem, no matter how fat or tall you are...plenty of fat Chinese dudes (though not grotesquely obese) and lots of pants are sold long, with the expectation they'll be hemmed.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

blackbox posted:

I got one 3 years back for 200 rmb on taobao. You have to work with it a few times to learn how to adjust, but we make bread, pizza, cake, pies, cookies, cupcakes, and sometimes roasted meat like chicken wings or whatever all the time. I wouldn't say it's great, but it's useable.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

GuestBob posted:

Le jissbon etait tre bon pour homme.

Je suis homosexual. Homosexual terriblé.

Mais non, mon ami.

Tu aurais dû dire:

GuestBob posted:

Le condom jissbon est très bon pour l'homme.

Je suis homosexuel, d'une homosexualité terrible.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Grandement homosexual!

Jimmy Little Balls
Aug 23, 2009
le chat

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

I'm getting flashbacks of murdering wanting to murder horrible Quebecois tourists.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

blinkyzero posted:

I'm getting flashbacks of murdering wanting to murder horrible Quebecois tourists.

;) :quebec:

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

"Condom" is préservatif in Frog.

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

BadAstronaut posted:

Oh you got to me, that much is clear. The way you quoted a post I made some months earlier when you made me lose it - so you made it your mission to troll and troll and troll until I lost it? Good job.

And like the loser you are, you still spend your time trolling online and posting retarded selfies instead of trying to do anything to improve your life huh? A+ there, son. Good job on working in China - how's that working out for you? Read again: loser.

This is awful. Please pay to change your name to BadPoster.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

blackbox posted:

Yo blackbox where are you going to be living and working?

blackbox
Aug 7, 2006

goldboilermark posted:

Yo blackbox where are you going to be living and working?

I think it's Heping. Working in the exchange (if what I've been told is correct, my office is directly above the Yingkou Dao subway station). My apartment is close to the Xikanglu station.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

simplefish posted:

"Condom" is préservatif in Frog.

The popular slang for it back home is a "capote". It's related to the word "decapotable", which means a convertible roof on a car.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

blackbox posted:

I think it's Heping. Working in the exchange (if what I've been told is correct, my office is directly above the Yingkou Dao subway station). My apartment is close to the Xikanglu station.

Nice, my office is in they HNA building, about five minutes from you. Xikanglu is really close to the exchange, you can walk there in less than 15 minutes. Nice area. Hit me up if you need anything when you get here.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

Ceciltron posted:

The popular slang for it back home is a "capote". It's related to the word "decapotable", which means a convertible roof on a car.

Ben calvaire, même moi j'avais jamais fait le lien.

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

China Megathread MMXIV

blackbox
Aug 7, 2006

goldboilermark posted:

Nice, my office is in they HNA building, about five minutes from you. Xikanglu is really close to the exchange, you can walk there in less than 15 minutes. Nice area. Hit me up if you need anything when you get here.

Thanks, I will do!

Now I just can't wait until my company gets its poo poo together, figures out the date and gets the tickets booked. I'm hoping by the end of the month but who knows...

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Senso posted:

Ben calvaire, même moi j'avais jamais fait le lien.

Câlisse mon asti, t'as ben qu'elquepart à rester a Harbin si jamais tu visite!

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Ceciltron posted:

Câlisse mon asti, t'as ben qu'elquepart à rester a Harbin si jamais tu visite!

我以为我们需要用英语!!!!:argh:

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Magna Kaser posted:

我以为我们需要用英语!!!!:argh:

I thought we were supposed to show off our languages to gain face, I'm sorry! So much face, lost, right now. I might throw a tantrum.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Ceciltron posted:

I thought we were supposed to show off our languages to gain face, I'm sorry! So much face, lost, right now. I might throw a tantrum.

You are bad at reading contracts just as you are bad at reading OP's.

LAN is in the other thread.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

caberham posted:

You are bad at reading contracts just as you are bad at reading OP's.

LAN is in the other thread.

Alright, then a serious question:

If I pursue my current employer, a two bit school manager who only owns 3 franchises and has less than 2 foreign teachers in her employ, in court, can this be used to bar me from re-entry to the country? Or should I wait until I return and am employed to begin litigation?

Should I drop everything entirely?

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

Ceciltron posted:

Alright, then a serious question:

If I pursue my current employer, a two bit school manager who only owns 3 franchises and has less than 2 foreign teachers in her employ, in court, can this be used to bar me from re-entry to the country? Or should I wait until I return and am employed to begin litigation?

Should I drop everything entirely?

This is probably something to ask your lawyer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

blinkyzero posted:

This is probably something to ask your lawyer.

The lawyers want money, they don't care about my career. I'm certain they will succeed should they so desire it. I'm just curious as to whether anyone has been blacklisted for this kind of thing.