Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

builds character posted:

Vanheim's start way up north is terrible because he has no cash ever. As a general rule, while it looks cool to have a wasteland, having 10-15 2k pop provinces is awful to play with. Make 1/2 the provinces at least start with more pop.

If you can give me province numbers, that'd be handy - though I suppose I can just do a 28 player all-human SP game and see the starts from there. I'll probably take the same approach I'm doing with my UpdatedCradle map and put some guaranteed resource/income sites into areas with lots of low pop provinces, combined with adding some cities to the map and marking them as farmland.

Is there a good, detailed breakdown of just what the effects of various terrains are on pop numbers? I've been doing it by trial and error so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
I'm looking to get in to Dom4 after playing Dom3 back in 2007 or so. I've got a tenuous, possibly outdated grasp on the basic mechanics like scales and how scripting works, and none at all on the mind-boggling amount of content this game has now. The wiki seems to be down, so I'm wondering what some other good options are for getting up to speed as quickly as possible. Is there a decent newbie guide anywhere? An Let's Play that's especially instructive?

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

Kestral posted:

I'm looking to get in to Dom4 after playing Dom3 back in 2007 or so. I've got a tenuous, possibly outdated grasp on the basic mechanics like scales and how scripting works, and none at all on the mind-boggling amount of content this game has now. The wiki seems to be down, so I'm wondering what some other good options are for getting up to speed as quickly as possible. Is there a decent newbie guide anywhere? An Let's Play that's especially instructive?

This LP is what persuaded me to buy dominions 3. It's pretty great. Also the old arena thread is great for learning combat mechanics, in my opinion. You can still access the wiki on the wayback machine. It's slow as hell but it works.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Kenlon posted:

If you can give me province numbers, that'd be handy - though I suppose I can just do a 28 player all-human SP game and see the starts from there. I'll probably take the same approach I'm doing with my UpdatedCradle map and put some guaranteed resource/income sites into areas with lots of low pop provinces, combined with adding some cities to the map and marking them as farmland.

Is there a good, detailed breakdown of just what the effects of various terrains are on pop numbers? I've been doing it by trial and error so far.

The big blob of waste/mountains that are in the middle of the map need to be similarly touched.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
Ok so I'm doing my first game as Middle Age Marignon and I've come across C'Tis.

Everyone's diseased. Everyone.

I'm lucky in that I've got a region nearby where I can recruit lizardmen soldiers who don't seem to get hit by it, so I'm winning the war just by sending suicide waves of them backed up with fire spamming witch hunters and assorted units but what path can I take to deal with the sickness?

Or is there none and everyone I send down there is on a one-way trip?

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Swamp survival (some nature boots can grant this) or cold blooded.
Other than that, take down the temples/send in the undead.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Junkfist posted:

Ok so I'm doing my first game as Middle Age Marignon and I've come across C'Tis.

Everyone's diseased. Everyone.

I'm lucky in that I've got a region nearby where I can recruit lizardmen soldiers who don't seem to get hit by it, so I'm winning the war just by sending suicide waves of them backed up with fire spamming witch hunters and assorted units but what path can I take to deal with the sickness?

Or is there none and everyone I send down there is on a one-way trip?

Try pushing your dominion at C'tis. Mari gets inquisitors which can remove enemy dominion via preaching very quickly. As far as disease healing goes, you would need an N5 caster and construction 4 to make the miraculous cure all elixir, which you probably don't have as Mari.

You should be pushing against his dominion regardless as it also murders your income along with your mages.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Kestral posted:

Obviously, Lilli's LP is the best.
http://lparchive.org/Dominions-3-(by-Lilli-et-al)/

Nethris
Mar 28, 2010
Thugs with immunity, whether to disease period (undead or lifeless for instance) or to C'tis miasma (swamp survival, cold blooded) might be an option, especially as this sounds like we're talking AIs - though I'm not sure how much access you have to those. At the very least they'd make it easier to try to take out any temples not protected by forts. Additionally, if you can at least cover your own lands with your dominion, fighting a mostly defensive war with C'tis and expanding elsewhere might work.

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012

Nethris posted:

Thugs with immunity, whether to disease period (undead or lifeless for instance) or to C'tis miasma (swamp survival, cold blooded) might be an option

One thing I learned recently - regeneration actually prevents disease from doing its periodic hp damage, plus it gives a passive reduction in affliction chance.

I only tried this once using leper's rods plus rings of regen (so abysia could have a useful demon commander), but it seemed to do a decent job. If you don't have access to any of the thug/SC options listed above, it's nice to know that the ole standby ring of regen will give your thugs some more staying power.

TheresNoThyme fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jan 31, 2014

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Nuclearmonkee posted:

The big blob of waste/mountains that are in the middle of the map need to be similarly touched.

Some of that will stay - but I'll put roads through and make those provinces plains for faster movement.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

:staredog:

Four water sites and the silver sarcophagus, weirdly.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Penguingo posted:

It's a pity you can't manually open it. I discovered this morning one of the possible things that can come out of a sarcophagus site is a very hostile Divine Mummy and his cohort :3

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
So I'm playing as MA Marignon in a game and I found a site with special text about how it dated pre-fall Ermor and stuff and we can't manage to open it up right now. It's giving me a death gem every turn which is nice but is it possible to open it up somehow? It mentioned swampmages or such in it but I haven't seen any and the mod inspector doesn't list any other special mages that Marignon can get in MA.

Was it fluff or do I just park mages on it and wait to see or what?

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Penguingo posted:

5 magic sites??? I didn't even think that was possible

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Flavahbeast posted:

5 magic sites??? I didn't even think that was possible

Four has a higher cap on sites than three did.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
The magic site cap is now 8.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
But the average occurrence of sites are generally lower in Dom4.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Edit:wrong thread

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Kitfox88 posted:

So I'm playing as MA Marignon in a game and I found a site with special text about how it dated pre-fall Ermor and stuff and we can't manage to open it up right now. It's giving me a death gem every turn which is nice but is it possible to open it up somehow? It mentioned swampmages or such in it but I haven't seen any and the mod inspector doesn't list any other special mages that Marignon can get in MA.

Park mages on it and see what happens, probably wants nature, water or death mages. If you can train mages in that province try one of those, also try one of each of your national mages.

There seems to be a bunch of little hidden questlines that are almost entirely undocumented beyond a few people going "Oh hey I've heard of that" involving certian civ\site combinations.

a terrible ivan
Jul 26, 2011

We had an interpreter. He got drunk as a lord when he had to translate. So we cooked him in boiled water.

Kitfox88 posted:

The Imperial Tomb, right? I think I saw that site in one of my games. The event that adds that site mentions Marshmasters, which are MA C'tis nationals. I didn't get a chance to test it as I wasn't C'tis, but I don't think it's just fluff.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Ah, that explains it then. I guess I'm gonna aim to conquer the C'tis in the game and see if I can't grab one of those mages to park on it.

I hope it spits out something horrible right next to my capital if I can manage it. :allears:

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Kitfox88 posted:

Ah, that explains it then. I guess I'm gonna aim to conquer the C'tis in the game and see if I can't grab one of those mages to park on it.

I hope it spits out something horrible right next to my capital if I can manage it. :allears:

Unfortunately, you can't recruit nationals even if you take their cap. I think your only recourse is to try enslaving one (or I guess you could wish for one :v:)

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Lprsti99 posted:

Unfortunately, you can't recruit nationals even if you take their cap. I think your only recourse is to try enslaving one (or I guess you could wish for one :v:)

Certain nationals you can steal, like you can recruit Hydra Hatchlings from Sauromatia's capitol (but not the full grown Hydra). But yeah you can't get Marshmasters without wishing for one.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Darn. Guess I'll just spitefully murder them and try to get to wish I guess. :frog:

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Mari has an okay chance at landing an Enslave, but then you gotta GoR for it to matter

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Speleothing posted:

Mari has an okay chance at landing an Enslave, but then you gotta GoR for it to matter
Or Divine Name.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Decrepus posted:

My pretender casted Returning and was abducted by Space and Time.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Greetings fellow goons. New Dominons player here.

I heard about Dom3, but you know, the graphics/UI/comments about being mainly a multiplayer game as the AI sucked always made me pass up on the game. Also, the price.

But with Dominions 4 I finally tried it, and I'm liking it. Also it helped that in the interim, I played CoE3 that in a way it's a mini-Dominions.

My first game (against Normal AI) was with EA Ulm. It went... not good. The wraparound map without seas and the fact maybe there was more nations for that map than I would like meant I had 4 war fronts, one in every direction, and every time I took a province, they took one in other side, and vice versa. At some point I got frustrated of playing the whack-a-mole game and I started another one.
Also, I sucked.

The second game was better, with EA Arco, in the Aran map. I got to destroy one of the AIs. Alas, I was in a peninsula surrounded by water, water owned by Oceania (was it? the one with Itchosatyrs, Itchotaurs, etc) which made constant raids to my territory including the area of my capital. I could reconquest always, but that situation slowed my expansion by a lot. Meanwhile Ctis owned the hell of another nation in the mainland part of the map, and when I got around to fight them, they had twice the provinces, twice the armies, etc. Still, I thought I could slowly conquest their territory (even as a noob, I have better strategic foresight than the AI!), but in the end, I was dom-killed. By the AI. Ugh. In my noobness, I had only purchased Dom 6 and I still didn't have a good grip on dominion spread mechanics and what's the normal amount of temples to build (and the AI loveees to build temples). My plan was to beat drat Oceania, I had summoned some Sea Troll kings and had forged a pair of barrels of Air, but the pressure of C'tis delayed my plans and between being C'tis temples and Oceania temples around me, baam dead.

The third game, I finally won. It was with MA Atlantis in the Valanis map. Now, that was a interesting game strategically speaking. I rushed War Lobsters and beat the rival sea opponent somewhat early that gave me all the river for me, and that allowed me to do raids. I identified the important points in the map, the river passes, some provinces that were choke points because there were mountains around and took control. There were some reversals and drat Ashdod troops killed easily my weak Atlantis troops (one of the weakest nations, I understand) by in 12 years I won the game. Not that I'm going to touch again MA Atlantis. God what a boring nations. No cavalry, archers, special troops, no spies, or assassins, or heretics, no national spells, no nothing. Just seven melee infantry troops that are near identical between them, and a pair of tougher ones that are still on the same category. Good leadership, priests and water mages but it's all waves of Coral Guards and Shamblers.

Now I want to try some undead nations (yeah, I know about the micro). Because I already played EA and MA, I wanted to play now in LA. So... Lemuria.
Any general hints for them? Pretender strategies? I know I need at least Death 3 to summon the undead commanders. How the freespawn work exactly, I know they appear in forts but also in temples?

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
The freespawn will appear in any province you have dominion with, but you need a fort to get the useful ones rather than the chaff. Higher the dominion and the more priests you have reanimating, the more/better your freespawn for Lemuria.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Don't play Lemuria, is my best advice. You won't learn anything about how to play in LA, you won't learn anything about other nations, it'll just be horrible. There's no strategy involved when it comes to fighting the AI as ermor or lemuria, you just smash armies of crappy skelemans at them and if they lose a soldier or two you count it as a win.

Lemuria and Ermor don't work like other nations. They don't need gold except for forts and temples and the odd indep mage. They don't need resources. They do need dominion. They absolutely constantly need gems.

Your average Ermor-like pretender is going to be awake, Dom10, Turmoil 3, Sloth 3, Cold/Heat 3 (probably cold, for wight synergy), Luck 3, and I tend towards Magic 3. It will probably have a shitload of death magic, but also carries the main burden of diversifying your magic because most of your mages will skew heavily towards Death magic as well. Because they are dead. Ermor might manage a decent amount of Fire (undead Augurs from EA), Lemuria will probably be decent at Astral and maybe Air/Water (undead Thaumaturgs from MA). Having some Water, Nature and Earth will let you summon mages to help diversify - a high luck scale will help with scraping together gems for this.

Freespawn happens from all provinces. lovely freespawn happens from normal provinces, better national freespawn happens in forts.

If you want to play around with freespawn nations, try EA Pangaea, or LA Ulm - push your dominion really aggressively and go all vampires all the time. Alternatively, try a blood nation if you want something new - they tend to be really powerful and if you play as Vanheim you can get your feet wet with both blood and ponymans at the same time.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Turin Turambar posted:

I heard about Dom3, but you know, the graphics/UI/comments about being mainly a multiplayer game as the AI sucked always made me pass up on the game. Also, the price.

But with Dominions 4 I finally tried it, and I'm liking it. Also it helped that in the interim, I played CoE3 that in a way it's a mini-Dominions.

My first game (against Normal AI) was with EA Ulm. It went... not good. The wraparound map without seas and the fact maybe there was more nations for that map than I would like meant I had 4 war fronts, one in every direction, and every time I took a province, they took one in other side, and vice versa. At some point I got frustrated of playing the whack-a-mole game and I started another one.
Also, I sucked.

The second game was better, with EA Arco, in the Aran map. I got to destroy one of the AIs. Alas, I was in a peninsula surrounded by water, water owned by Oceania (was it? the one with Itchosatyrs, Itchotaurs, etc) which made constant raids to my territory including the area of my capital. I could reconquest always, but that situation slowed my expansion by a lot. Meanwhile Ctis owned the hell of another nation in the mainland part of the map, and when I got around to fight them, they had twice the provinces, twice the armies, etc. Still, I thought I could slowly conquest their territory (even as a noob, I have better strategic foresight than the AI!), but in the end, I was dom-killed. By the AI. Ugh. In my noobness, I had only purchased Dom 6 and I still didn't have a good grip on dominion spread mechanics and what's the normal amount of temples to build (and the AI loveees to build temples). My plan was to beat drat Oceania, I had summoned some Sea Troll kings and had forged a pair of barrels of Air, but the pressure of C'tis delayed my plans and between being C'tis temples and Oceania temples around me, baam dead.

The third game, I finally won. It was with MA Atlantis in the Valanis map. Now, that was a interesting game strategically speaking. I rushed War Lobsters and beat the rival sea opponent somewhat early that gave me all the river for me, and that allowed me to do raids. I identified the important points in the map, the river passes, some provinces that were choke points because there were mountains around and took control. There were some reversals and drat Ashdod troops killed easily my weak Atlantis troops (one of the weakest nations, I understand) by in 12 years I won the game. Not that I'm going to touch again MA Atlantis. God what a boring nations. No cavalry, archers, special troops, no spies, or assassins, or heretics, no national spells, no nothing. Just seven melee infantry troops that are near identical between them, and a pair of tougher ones that are still on the same category. Good leadership, priests and water mages but it's all waves of Coral Guards and Shamblers.

Now I want to try some undead nations (yeah, I know about the micro). Because I already played EA and MA, I wanted to play now in LA. So... Lemuria.
Any general hints for them? Pretender strategies? I know I need at least Death 3 to summon the undead commanders. How the freespawn work exactly, I know they appear in forts but also in temples?

Try LA Ctis instead and make a ton of undead chariots and tomb kings.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
Do zero population regions ever creep back up from adjacent regions or anything like that? I've killed all the dumb swamp lizards but now I'm dealing with Asphods and the remnants of Ermor and Sceleria when the last two both mysteriously, suddenly and simultaneously died, had all their regions go neutral one turn and then all their armies disappear the next.

Naturally, everyone everywhere I'm not is super dead/deadish.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Junkfist posted:

Do zero population regions ever creep back up from adjacent regions or anything like that? I've killed all the dumb swamp lizards but now I'm dealing with Asphods and the remnants of Ermor and Sceleria when the last two both mysteriously, suddenly and simultaneously died, had all their regions go neutral one turn and then all their armies disappear the next.

Naturally, everyone everywhere I'm not is super dead/deadish.

That happens when you have no dominion candles anywhere on the map.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Yup that's a domkill; you would have gotten messages about how the dominion of their pretenders no longer existed and they had nowhere left to go or something along those lines when they first died.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Turin Turambar posted:

Also, I sucked.

Play bless Lemuria and enjoy your self-blessing immortal thugs who can solo expand and smash face if you kit them out. Just try and stay within your dominion so they stay immortal :v:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

willus posted:

Play bless Lemuria and enjoy your self-blessing immortal thugs who can solo expand and smash face if you kit them out. Just try and stay within your dominion so they stay immortal :v:

This is the only real way to play Lemuria anyway. Their troops are so lovely they have no real use beyond blocking, which is fine because Lemuria's immortal thugs are ferocious.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

builds character posted:

Try LA Ctis instead and make a ton of undead chariots and tomb kings.

C'tis is :krad: because you get to be really cool lizard guys who have gone to the underworld and bathed in the River Styx AND you have the paths to summon and equip Bane Lords with no effort for all of your undead desires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Hm. Are Doom Glaives any good? I know that LA C'tis might get the paths to forge firebrands and charcoal shields but I like frost brands and vine shields in MA more.

• Locked thread