Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I dropped my bike at the mechanic's like a week after I first got it on the road. I had taken it there to get the road safety check done, passed with flying colors. Left, hopped on the bike, flicked on the fuel, ignition, choke, turned out the kickstarter, hopped on top and gave a mighty shove downwards,

and because I'd forgotten to put it in neutral, the bike scooted forwards six inches and fell off the kickstand and fell over with me on top. Luckily nothing broke and while I didn't see any of the mechanics laughing at me, I'm sure that it was too late and they'd seen everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Sagebrush posted:

I dropped my bike at the mechanic's like a week after I first got it on the road. I had taken it there to get the road safety check done, passed with flying colors. Left, hopped on the bike, flicked on the fuel, ignition, choke, turned out the kickstarter, hopped on top and gave a mighty shove downwards,

and because I'd forgotten to put it in neutral, the bike scooted forwards six inches and fell off the kickstand and fell over with me on top. Luckily nothing broke and while I didn't see any of the mechanics laughing at me, I'm sure that it was too late and they'd seen everything.

Sorry as I am that you dropped the bike, that produces the most hilarious image.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Almost rear-ended two separate assholes who pulled out in front of me on the way to work today. I don't think they even didn't see me, from my time driving cars I realized that a certain subset of Japanese drivers just take the "I'm gonna pull out, they'll slow down" approach to entering traffic.

First one I felt the rear wheel lock and I was still too close/coming in too hot, fortunately there was enough room to split past him on the left.

Second one I had enough time to brake effectively, but I still laid on the horn. They flashed their hazards as an apology (normally means "thank you for letting me in" in Japan) and quickly turned down a sidestreet.

By the time I got to work I was really rattled, fortunately I had a nice, uneventful ride home.

I don't normally hate on Japanese drivers the way other foreigners here do, but this one thing really gets to me. It seems especially common if they're only getting on the road to make a turn in another ten meters or so... It's like they think it doesn't count or something. I had a guy do it to me on my way home on Friday as I was coming into a sweeper so he could go literally ten loving feet (that he could have done on the sidewalk he was already on) and I was so furious I was about to pull over and give him a piece of my mind. Then I saw the "old person" sticker on his car and realized the futility of it, and continued on my way.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Today I learned how to back it in. Or rather, that it's a good idea to not throw the bike into a fun corner when it's raining. Not that you can see much with the water over the lens but I was approaching a roundabout I normally take at full speed when it's dry since there's great visibility of all approaches and the hill gives the road a pretty steep camber in this direction. Felt the back end slide out a little but since I was shifting back to the left anyway everything just came back into line naturally before I had much chance to react.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Soon that kind of slip will be fun to you :)

spacemanspliff
Jan 12, 2008
One with Lavos and Zohar

Z3n posted:

Do enough research and you discover that motorcycles are still pretty much black magic as far as the significant forces of physics that go into play. We still don't really understand how bicycles work, let alone motorcycles.

They work tenuously, and only up until the point when you grow proud. Then, the Cycle Force withdraws its protection and your back tire goes on a spirit voyage perpendicular to your intended direction of travel! Every time I lean through a turn my brain firmly declares "I do not know what the gently caress you just." So far I've kept it chill and avoided a mistake but I have yet to deal with wet conditions.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I filtered up to the front of a light and an Audi was being a dick and tried to race me when the light turned green, nearly clipping me. I guess I've gotten a little too used to my bike's warp speed but not its post-tune warpage, gave a bit more than a handful of throttle. Ended up nearly getting my Bandit to balance point for 100 feet through an intersection and beyond, looking back at nobody around me because by the time I hit the ground and shifted I was going 80.

1. It was raining. Pilot Road 3's have some goddamned amazing grip.
2. This was my first "real" wheelie.
3. The landing was not bad at all, quite soft actually.
4. I had no idea if I was gonna slide off my bike or not. I guess my legs were Octopussy-glued to the sides of the tank.
5. I have so much adrenaline right now. Zipped the gently caress to work in case a cop were to have seen since the police station was 200 feet to the left of the stoplight.

Lesson learned, my bike actually does have gratuitous amounts of power and I'm just a grandpa when I drive. Second lesson learned, wheelies are awesome.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I went out to the Home Depot today. The temperature was hovering right around freezing and it was snowing, but the snow was little tiny flakes and the roads were pretty clear. While I was in the Home Depot, however, the snow went from little tiny flakes to big fat nasty flakes, and the roads became super slushy. My back wheel slipped out from under me a few times in the Home Depot parking lot until I resigned to dragging the clutch with no throttle and dragging my feet along the ground. I pulled into a gas station and filled up, and tried to turn around to get out. It was too slippery so I got off the bike, with the motor still running. I forgot to put it in neutral, so the back end just kept sliding. I managed to hit the kill switch, but it was too late to keep the bike from very gently dropping on its side in the gas station parking lot.

Moral of the story: gently caress riding in snow on Pilot Road IIs. Also gently caress my Shoei Qwest, a $300 helmet shouldn't fog up whenever the temperature dips below 40.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Random story time. Once I bought a used VFR800 in Ireland over the internet. Somehow, it worked out, and weeks later I found myself taking my new and somewhat-legal ride out for a spin on a country road. Man, this thing is a real pig, I thought. Really takes some manhandling to turn. On a couple really tight turns I had a few close calls on what should have been fun, tight corners, nearly running out of road. I hadn't ridden in a while and the bike had clipons, so I figured maybe it was just me. Anyway, I had limited tools and a tight schedule so I started my way across the country. A day and one slow drop later, I was on a boat to Wales. Next day, halfway across Britain at a gas, er, petrol station that had a free air hookup, I figure I've done a few hundred miles and it wouldn't hurt to do some basic upkeep and chain cleaning, etc. Bike still steers like a train but I'm getting used to it. Besides, it was freezing out, and that occupied most of my mental energy - making myself miserable by focusing on how cold I was. Step in the shop and pick up a crappy pressure gauge and some caffeine. Tires should be cool by now. Stoop down and measure the rear - it's fine. Now the front. 11 psi. I'd just been doing 70-90mph for hours on end... wonder if it was a hot day if it would have blown out on me. I'd been watching the pressure like a hawk after that, and it never leaked, and the handling was instantly cured, so I can only guess it was at 11 the whole time.

Also gently caress VFRs, that bike sucked, air or no air in the tires.

Infinotize fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Feb 2, 2014

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Finally dropped my 600. Was at Mum and Dads place and was backing the bike up to leave and their dog swiped my leg out from under me. Little bastard. Managed to get my footing in just enough time to stop the bike from dropping like a rock, but it was too far gone for me to save it. Laid it down gently on the grass. No breaks or anything, just incredibly annoying.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

Infinotize posted:

Random story time. Once I bought a used VFR800 in Ireland over the internet. Somehow, it worked out, and weeks later I found myself taking my new and somewhat-legal ride out for a spin on a country road. Man, this thing is a real pig, I thought. Really takes some manhandling to turn. On a couple really tight turns I had a few close calls on what should have been fun, tight corners, nearly running out of road. I hadn't ridden in a while and the bike had clipons, so I figured maybe it was just me. Anyway, I had limited tools and a tight schedule so I started my way across the country. A day and one slow drop later, I was on a boat to Wales. Next day, halfway across Britain at a gas, er, petrol station that had a free air hookup, I figure I've done a few hundred miles and it wouldn't hurt to do some basic upkeep and chain cleaning, etc. Bike still steers like a train but I'm getting used to it. Besides, it was freezing out, and that occupied most of my mental energy - making myself miserable by focusing on how cold I was. Step in the shop and pick up a crappy pressure gauge and some caffeine. Tires should be cool by now. Stoop down and measure the rear - it's fine. Now the front. 11 psi. I'd just been doing 70-90mph for hours on end... wonder if it was a hot day if it would have blown out on me. I'd been watching the pressure like a hawk after that, and it never leaked, and the handling was instantly cured, so I can only guess it was at 11 the whole time.

Also gently caress VFRs, that bike sucked, air or no air in the tires.

5th or 6th gen VFRs weigh in the ~500lb range so they're not exactly as light like a supersport or literbike, and the stock suspension is sprung on the softer side, they're meant more as all rounders than full on sporty machinery.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

infraboy posted:

5th or 6th gen VFRs weigh in the ~500lb range so they're not exactly as light like a supersport or literbike, and the stock suspension is sprung on the softer side, they're meant more as all rounders than full on sporty machinery.

I was getting on that after being used to my b1200s, which is also a fat pig with cheap suspension. Liked that bike waaaay better (and not just the torque).

moudis
Feb 2, 2014

infraboy posted:

4th and earlier gen ran narrower rear tires (170/60), which helped somewhat. I found that they still steer like a dump truck if the tire pressure is low, though.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Damnit Honda, why can't you make a bike that handles well when I don't give a poo poo about it? Checking tire pressure is for proles.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Actually, the key point was that the bike was still a big pile of poo poo after I filled the tire up.

edit: frankly, ignored

Infinotize fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Feb 5, 2014

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Frankly I write off the opinion of people who can't tell when a tire only has 10psi in it, but I wasn't referring to your post.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
My Z1000 kind of wallowed in the back because of the 190 rear tire but it got really bad when the valve stem broke and let all the air out, so

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I forgot my kickstand when my friend waved to me in the parking lot :v: set the bike down slowly and no damage to anything thanks to the loving awesome Holeshot crash cage.

Getting it up wasn't too difficult since my friend rushed to help and laugh. Figured it was bound to happen eventually. I'd say three or so years without a single spill is a pretty good run. :v:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Safety Dance posted:

Also gently caress my Shoei Qwest, a $300 helmet shouldn't fog up whenever the temperature dips below 40.

I hate that about the Qwest. I'm due for a new helmet in a year or so, it's hard to decide whether to get a pinlock setup before then or be more particular about a helmet that doesn't fog up as easily next time.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
I wonder if they fudge the ventilation because they know the majority of helmets sold will be with pinlock? Pinlock comes standard on all Shoeis in EU (that I've seen).

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
Getting hit in the helmet by loose things chat was a few pages ago, but it reminded me of the first time I rode in to work. We have badges that you wear around your neck on a lanyard and I thought nothing of wearing it home under my jacket. The wind caught it right as I merged onto the highway and it started whipping all the gently caress over the place, making an awful racket on my helmet and neck and scaring the poo poo out of me in the process.

That badge hasn't left my wallet in nearly 3 years now.

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
Could be worse, you could have a bee hit you in the chest, and get sucked up into your helmet by the wind, so you now have a super pissed off bee right in your face while you're going 70 MPH down the highway.

I panicked so hard that I had both hands off the handlebars and took my helmet off mid-ride, then parked on the side of the road and just quietly put it back on and carried on with my day.

gently caress bees.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
The only times I've ever been stung were on the motorcycle. I think I am defying some serious odds there.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

ArbitraryTA posted:

Could be worse, you could have a bee hit you in the chest, and get sucked up into your helmet by the wind, so you now have a super pissed off bee right in your face while you're going 70 MPH down the highway.

I panicked so hard that I had both hands off the handlebars and took my helmet off mid-ride, then parked on the side of the road and just quietly put it back on and carried on with my day.

gently caress bees.

Could have been worse.

I put my helmet on about 2 months ago to go for a ride, left the visor up and cruised on my way, got to the highway which is about 10 minutes away and pulled out behind a truck so I decided to close the visor.

There was a huntsman on the inside that was freaking huge, I absolutely poo poo myself.

I check my helmet with mild paranoia every time I go for a ride now.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

Shimrod posted:

Could have been worse.

I put my helmet on about 2 months ago to go for a ride, left the visor up and cruised on my way, got to the highway which is about 10 minutes away and pulled out behind a truck so I decided to close the visor.

There was a huntsman on the inside that was freaking huge, I absolutely poo poo myself.

I check my helmet with mild paranoia every time I go for a ride now.

Check inside the vents as well, they like to live in there.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Backov posted:

Check inside the vents as well, they like to live in there.

You're a bad person.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I had to google what a huntsman was. Holy poo poo.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Armchair Calvinist posted:

I forgot my kickstand when my friend waved to me in the parking lot :v: set the bike down slowly and no damage to anything thanks to the loving awesome Holeshot crash cage.

Getting it up wasn't too difficult since my friend rushed to help and laugh. Figured it was bound to happen eventually. I'd say three or so years without a single spill is a pretty good run. :v:

I almost did that the other day, total brainfart because I was parking so close to another bike and was trying to make sure he'd have room to move - got it to just before the point where it would fall over before, of all things, I noticed the sidestand light wasn't on.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

I'm looking forward to spring here, last year I took so many dragonflies to the face/chest riding around in the country. Luckily I wear glasses, as one time I had my visor up for ventalation and took one right to the right glass at about 80km/h. They are no fun.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

No bugs in my helmet, but I was taking a corner at a light and there was something flat on the ground that I went over and could feel my tire slide out a bit before it caught the asphalt again. I thought for sure my front was going to wash out and low side me. Just after a guy at the light was telling me how nice my bike was.

dimmlight
Aug 24, 2004

hot sauce posted:

I had to google what a huntsman was. Holy poo poo.

Me too! Holy poo poo I was frightened and I was just looking at pictures on a computer screen!

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011

dimmlight posted:

Me too! Holy poo poo I was frightened and I was just looking at pictures on a computer screen!

Yeah ok you win even if I am allergic to bees

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I
Was out dialing in suspension. Pulled into a parking lot and mashed the front brake with the wheel turned fully left, bike dropped down hard. Managed to save it about a foot off the ground and bring it back up.

Good think I had spinal surgery 6 months ago! Christ that could have been bad and I feel retarded.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
I was having fun dicking around offroad the other day, going up and down sledding hills. I hosed up when I didn't let out enough clutch near the top of a particularly steep hill, causing my KLR to stall out barely ten feet from the crest.

Unfortunately, the ground was really soft, which made it impossible to go up any further from a complete stop. Since up was out of the question, the only way out was down. The second I let go of my brakes, I started sliding backwards, but I couldn't stop it. Everytime I tried to apply the brakes, it just tore up the soft mud and the bike kept sliding. Compounding my anxiety of sliding backwards uncontrollably was the realization that there was a very deep river waiting for me at the base of the hill. I slid backwards all the way to the bottom of hill, but thankfully I was able to keep it upright, and even managed to arrest my momentum before taking an icy plunge.

Probably because I have no sense of self-preservation, I immediately tried it again, though this time at a different angle. Made it no problem on the second go-round!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

This right here is why I miss my KLR.

The_Maz
Mar 27, 2005

Get It By Your Hands
This right here makes me want a KLR.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Remember your ABK's: Always Be KLRing.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Klr - marginally less effective than a streetbike at getting up hills.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

gently caress, I want a KLR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
So I had a bunch of fun today riding to work today and hooning around the dam afterwards, just letting out all the frustration this winter has caused. I may have been celebrating too early though, as winter was apparently just biding its time, waiting to take another victim.

I made it home no problem, pulled up through the yard to get around the vehicles, and parked in the rear of the driveway behind my truck. Just like any other time I cut off the gas, flipped down the kickstand, and in what now seems like slow motion, dismounted right on top of a tiny, tiny patch of ice that knocked my foot clean out from under me. Fortunately I still had my helmet on, because I got to test it out against the fender guard on my truck as I unceremoniously crumpled to the ground in shame and agony.

I can't imagine how badly I might have been hurt had I been driving a car with only a seatbelt to protect me :stonk:

• Locked thread