Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Allyn posted:

I think you have to plot to take other families' trade posts, via the intrigue menu. And if memory serves you have to be under your trade post limit, though I'm much less certain about that.

It's worse than that. You can't plot to steal other families' posts unless you have less posts than that family. Since no human player with any sense at all is going to end up in that position, it's basically an AI-only option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Cease to Hope posted:

It's worse than that. You can't plot to steal other families' posts unless you have less posts than that family. Since no human player with any sense at all is going to end up in that position, it's basically an AI-only option.

Well, I had games as a merchant republic in which I was awfully unlucky with my children. So much in fact that I had three generations in a row of only one other male of my family being alive at succession. Plotting to take the other families trade posts was the only positive thing in that mess.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

What am I misunderstanding about giving out kingdoms? I'm playing a Zorostrian game a la the one in the LP tutorial thread, and the initial breakup of my giant demesne went fine. Since then, however, whenever I give away a kingdom, despite checking the box, it only gives things that are either part of my demense or are in duchies, like this:

I have to transfer over each other count manually. Maybe that's just how it's supposed to work, but there's another piece of weirdness: these kings don't care that the other counts in their du jure region report to me, not them. Here in Ireland, for example, you can see that the King only controls Connacht, the rest of the territories are directly under me, yet he doesn't seem to care at all.

Is this normal? I'm an emperor, and everything I've been dealing with has been elective.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Pakled posted:

There is an option to leave the council voluntarily, but I thought that the AI would never, ever do that.
Not frequently, but sometimes I have seen councilors just... quit. Like, they leave the council but they're still at court and nothing happened to them. I just reappoint them to their old jobs.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Nosre posted:

What am I misunderstanding about giving out kingdoms? I'm playing a Zorostrian game a la the one in the LP tutorial thread, and the initial breakup of my giant demesne went fine. Since then, however, whenever I give away a kingdom, despite checking the box, it only gives things that are either part of my demense or are in duchies, like this:

I have to transfer over each other count manually. Maybe that's just how it's supposed to work, but there's another piece of weirdness: these kings don't care that the other counts in their du jure region report to me, not them. Here in Ireland, for example, you can see that the King only controls Connacht, the rest of the territories are directly under me, yet he doesn't seem to care at all.

Is this normal? I'm an emperor, and everything I've been dealing with has been elective.

Well, to the first pic: You cannot use that option on unlanded characters. Give them a county in their duchy/kingdom, then give them the duchy/kingdom and check the option to give them all the lower titles and it will work just fine.

To the second pic: I am not sure why he is fine with those counts being your vassals.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

How do I view the message log?

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
It seems Kings only can get desires control malus on duchys.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Nosre posted:

Nobles only care about owning the de jure tier under them, so kings only care about having all the dukes as vassals; the loyalty of the vassal counts is the dukes' problem, not th kings.

Neif
Jul 26, 2012

Thought I'd give Scotland a go in an old god's beginning being inspired after watching a documentary about the history of Scotland :scotland:. I learnt about Tanistry succession pretty quickly having neither head about or played a game with Tanisty successon before, for the uninitiated Tanistry is when the most powerful land owners get to vote on the heir, similar to an elector style succession however no matter who gets voted in you are that person. So I'm thinking cool I'll never lose this game because I'll always have an heir.

It does leave a lot of Princes and Princess's lying about with claims to the throne, but it didn't seem to be a big problem for me.

Things were doing well I'd either kicked out or subjugated the Norse lords in Scotland, unified it and had just created and taken the Kingdom of Ireland. Everything looked to be going smoothly creating the Empire of Brittania was the ultimate goal and it was just a matter of fabricating some claims on the Welsh and Anglo-Saxon Nobles, no problems on the horizon except oh what's that?...separate Tanisty succession in each Kingdom, so I did my best to try and get the same Tanist in both kingdoms but eventually my really cool and able King died and the time of troubles started.

I played on as the King of Scotland only, attempted to start retaking Ireland from my Uncle...barely survived 2 large vassal revolts - my saving grace was a large gold supply that allowed me to hire a few merc companies.

Oh what? My level 3 Schiltrom building that had a good deal of pikeman is gone? What oh....turns out my new king is of Norse culture, not Scottish therefore I lose my 'special' cultural buildings in my castles. :cripes: . Oh Scotland is now Skotland because apparently Norse spelling conventions differ from Scottish ones.

Also because this guy is Norse, the Tanistry succession is replaced with Gavelkind. Fantastic, now I have to worry about heirs again.

My carefully groomed heir who happens to be a genius dies of an illness soon after.

The one saving grace about my new King is that he's on the ground floor of the Citadel Minitures movement, so while his Kingdom burns in another revolt from the Scottish Nobility against his harsh Norse rule....he spends his time playing dark age era Warhammer against the local teenagers. :orks:

This Game. :allears:

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
Does anyone have any good suggestions on how I can get my ruler and her husband to actually start loving and producing heirs? She's ruling in one place and he's ruling in another... so is there anyway to get them in the same spot, or do I just need to have her current husband assassinated and pick another?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Gin_Rummy posted:

Does anyone have any good suggestions on how I can get my ruler and her husband to actually start loving and producing heirs? She's ruling in one place and he's ruling in another... so is there anyway to get them in the same spot, or do I just need to have her current husband assassinated and pick another?

Welcome to Crusader Kings 2, where sperm is magical and can teleport.

There is no difference in fertility between a couple that resides in the same place and a couple that rules in different ends of Europe. Maybe one or both members of the couple have low fertility? Are they chaste or gay or something like that? If not it is just the RNG screwing you over.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

Torrannor posted:

There is no difference in fertility between a couple that resides in the same place and a couple that rules in different ends of Europe. Maybe one or both members of the couple have low fertility? Are they chaste or gay or something like that? If not it is just the RNG screwing you over.

Neither of them has any modifiers to their fertility that I can see... perhaps I'm just being a little impatient. Also, I had no idea sperm could teleport in this game. Thanks for the help!

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Strangely, while medieval sperm can apparently travel thousands of miles instantly, it cannot go through jail cell walls.

:shrug:

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

:getin:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

How'd you manage that? Is it just having them as vassals or actually getting your dynasty as the Grandmaster?

Edit: Also in regards to getting two people to have babies, pick the ambition to have a son/daughter, it gives you a hidden boost to fertility.

Eimi fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Feb 1, 2014

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
How good is Tanistry succession?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Farecoal posted:

How good is Tanistry succession?

It depends. If you are a Celtic pagan then it is a thousand times better than gavelkind. If you have access to normal succession laws than it can be good. Unless your entire dynasty dies out you are safe from a game over and will never lose your titles through succession. But if you are playing bigger realms and have many family members the odds of the tanists choosing one of your carefully educated children as your successor are pretty slim, and they do tend to vote for older guys so you might not accumulate a long reign bonus.

Elective gives more control over the succession (and a bigger opinion bonus to non-dynasty vassals) but the stakes are higher in that a loss may easily lead to someone else taking your kingdom/empire. Primogeniture is safer but requires "creative solutions" to deal with lovely first sons.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

which is why Ultimogeniture is superior; its a lot easier to ditch your wife after getting a Genius heir than for all of your unfit sons to succomb to a rash of mysterious manure explosions

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Torrannor posted:

Not entirely true. As long as both of them are rulers, they're just fine living on opposite ends of Europe. But if one of them is a landless courtier in the court of someone other than their spouse, they will never reproduce. This is particularly troublesome in light of the fact that pressing the claim of a woman will not send her husband along to her court if successful.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Eimi posted:

How'd you manage that? Is it just having them as vassals or actually getting your dynasty as the Grandmaster?

Edit: Also in regards to getting two people to have babies, pick the ambition to have a son/daughter, it gives you a hidden boost to fertility.

Getting dynasty members to be elected Grandmaster. Involved a bit of stabbing and making sure dudes set to join lead orders were participating in battles to gain prestige and piety to help their future standing. If you're looking to get a bishop elected cardinal you can also nudge them along by having them lead a flank when you're holy warring for large injections of piety. That was actually how I managed to field a Lady Pope when I was briefly Cathar.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Is there any way to request a Crusade against a certain kingdom? I know that Crusades were random but I thought Sons of Abraham changed that.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

QuoProQuid posted:

Is there any way to request a Crusade against a certain kingdom? I know that Crusades were random but I thought Sons of Abraham changed that.

According to the wiki, which tracks my Sons of Abraham experience, Crusades are actually pretty deterministic.

quote:

Religious heads will call crusades on the title with the highest weight that is not controlled by their religion. For example, the Catholic Pope will always call a crusade for Italy rather than Jerusalem if both are held by non-christians.
http://www.ckiiwiki.com/Crusades

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Is there any advantage to creating a theocracy within your kingdom? Merchant republics bring in more gold than a county or duchy might, but do theocracies do anything special? I created one in a previous game but didn't seem to be getting anything good out of it.

rvm
May 6, 2013

Spakstik posted:

Is there any advantage to creating a theocracy within your kingdom? Merchant republics bring in more gold than a county or duchy might, but do theocracies do anything special? I created one in a previous game but didn't seem to be getting anything good out of it.

They give gold, too, have no "wrong type of government" penalty and tend to be significantly easier to please then regular vassals.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Spakstik posted:

Bishops cannot pass any claims onto their successor so they very rarely cause issues within the kingdom. Each bishop is also a candidate for the College of Cardinals and can become Pope. If you finance a vassal into Popedom, you can request money and claims for minimal cost.

ulmont posted:

According to the wiki, which tracks my Sons of Abraham experience, Crusades are actually pretty deterministic.

Okay then, thanks. I have an additional question.

For some reason, my firstborn son is the heir to my wife's holdings but not my own. Is there a reason for this? The only justification I can think of is that I am a vassal to the Pope. What can I do to fix this problem?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

ulmont posted:

Sons of Abraham did say they were going to let you request Crusades from the Pope, but as far as I can tell that didn't make it in.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

QuoProQuid posted:

Bishops cannot pass any claims onto their successor so they very rarely cause issues within the kingdom. Each bishop is also a candidate for the College of Cardinals and can become Pope. If you finance a vassal into Popedom, you can request money and claims for minimal cost.

Okay then, thanks. I have an additional question.

For some reason, my firstborn son is the heir to my wife's holdings but not my own. Is there a reason for this? The only justification I can think of is that I am a vassal to the Pope. What can I do to fix this problem?

Looks like it's going to your first daughter instead? What succession law are you running, and what succession law is your wife's kingdom running?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Main Paineframe posted:

Looks like it's going to your first daughter instead? What succession law are you running, and what succession law is your wife's kingdom running?

We are both running Agnatic-Cognatic Primogeniture.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Feb 2, 2014

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

QuoProQuid posted:

We are both running Agnatic-Cognatic Primogeniture.

Try reloading your game. Occasionally the game has weird succession quirks - I once had a succession go through my son and my grandson to make my heir my great-granddaughter in Ag-Cog Primogeniture. When I reloaded my game, my son was heir once again.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

CapnAndy posted:

Sons of Abraham did say they were going to let you request Crusades from the Pope, but as far as I can tell that didn't make it in.

it made it in - for every other independant religious head. (like the kohen gadol or moabadan-moabad)

e: hmm, I might be thinking of invasions and not Crusades.

Excelzior fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Feb 2, 2014

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

I figured out the issue was that the Pope invoked Absolute Crown Authority (and Free Investiture?), which prevents me from passing titles outside his domain. By inheriting the Kingdom of Aquitaine, we would become equal in rank so the Duchy of Capua passes to the next available heir.

Unfortunately, I don't think it is possible to start a faction within the Papacy. My only option seems to be to declare an independence war, which I wanted to avoid for roleplaying reasons.

Thanks for the help. If anyone can think of a way to lower Crown Authority, I would be greatly appreciative.

EDIT: I guess claiming the Papacy causes an immediate Game Over?

EDIT 2: Well, this is uncomfortable.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Feb 2, 2014

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Yeah, you can't play as the Pope.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
How long should the converter take to convert my saved game? I started one from the Old Gods start up until about 1250 and I've been waiting for about 15 minutes now.

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
It takes 1 minute for every year of gametime played.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

computer parts posted:

How long should the converter take to convert my saved game? I started one from the Old Gods start up until about 1250 and I've been waiting for about 15 minutes now.

When I exported my 867-1453 game it took about 1 minute.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
It didn't take very long for me either.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Huh, well I guess it just borked on me; I forced quit CK2 and the mod showed up in EU4 but it was a little weird:

Tank Sinatra
Dec 26, 2012

CapnAndy posted:

You can request crusades, but you have to do it through the diplomacy screen of the guy you want to crusade against.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

computer parts posted:

Huh, well I guess it just borked on me; I forced quit CK2 and the mod showed up in EU4 but it was a little weird:

You might be able to fix that by finding the English localization files in your mod, and saving them in Unicode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Nosre posted:

Rumda posted:

It seems Kings only can get desires control malus on duchys.

This guy got it. A king's de jure vassals are the dukes that make up the kingdom, NOT the counts. The dukes' de jure vassals are the counts that make up their respective duchies. As such, vassalage of the counts is not considered for giving out kingdom titles. Create and hand out all the duchies and then handing out kingdoms will work as you expect. (What's more, giving dukes some extra power to reign in your vassal king is just generally a good plan -- keeps them occupied.)

• Locked thread