Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Ghostlight posted:

At the moment I'm finding the best way to do the event is to just stop playing. :smith:

Yeah, the rewards are poo poo anyways (unless you get like 30,000 points, ahahahaa). I like how they don't even give you a full set of daredevil covers for being among the best in the bracket. Seriously, the difference between first place and 50th is 4750 ISO and 100 HP. The developers are stingy as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

trucutru posted:

Yeah, the rewards are poo poo anyways (unless you get like 30,000 points, ahahahaa). I like how they don't even give you a full set of daredevil covers for being among the best in the bracket. Seriously, the difference between first place and 50th is 4750 ISO and 100 HP. The developers are stingy as gently caress.

Not to mention that you end up paying maybe 3000 HP total to get into the top brackets.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Dizz posted:

Not to mention that you end up paying maybe 3000 HP total to get into the top brackets.

But you get to the #1 sucker player! Get mad props at their forum!

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

trucutru posted:

But you get to the #1 sucker player! Get mad props at their forum!

I like to think people hit #1 by mistake and pray to god that people crab them down for better value in prizes.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Dizz posted:

I like to think people hit #1 by mistake and pray to god that people crab them down for better value in prizes.

#1 normally says 4 star cover -and everything else from #2- so I don't think so.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Welp, I can't loving beat a team of pyros with a poo poo Spiderman, a pathetic Hawkeye Modern and a max level Black Widow Modern. gently caress this game, I'm done.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I was going to check out this event to see just how high level the enemies were and I don't have it :confused:

I am Toni Lippi
Aug 16, 2004

Ghostlight posted:

At the moment I'm finding the best way to do the event is to just stop playing. :smith:

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

Puweyxil
Oct 19, 2001
I like to eat cheese.
Dinosaur Gum
Being able to see other players' rosters is the biggest punch in the dick. Here I am forced to use Spiderman to carefully stun-lock my way through level 230 enemies, or risk getting one-shot, when the top 5 players in my bracket all have a bunch of level 30-40 1-star characters. I don't think I have enough hours in the day to catch up to them, even if I tried; My team is only a bunch level 60-70 covers. Although, this probably makes sense, Trying to present an equal challenge to veterans and new players alike; It's just that this attempt has failed miserably.

Also, I enjoy the mental image of Spider-Man having to continually spooge webs all over a trio gangsters to give Iron-Man and Wolverine enough time to tickle them to death. If he manages to run out of web-juice, they all die to a single burst from a tommy-gun. The World's Mightiest Heroes indeed.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
I'm playing and replaying that effing level 77 DD mission, and after the first play through, I got a target hammer lock (eh), but after ELEVEN REPLAYS to get the 500 iso-8, I've only gotten 20 iso-8 each time. Seriously?

Kameh fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Feb 1, 2014

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

I think they just haven't tested what the game looks like once you play it and realize that the scaling is horribly broken and the AI becomes unwinnable after a few weeks to a month of playing. You are basically better off making a new account then playing your current one if you want to place well in the current event. And that is just hosed.

Puweyxil
Oct 19, 2001
I like to eat cheese.
Dinosaur Gum

pixaal posted:

I think they just haven't tested what the game looks like once you play it and realize that the scaling is horribly broken and the AI becomes unwinnable after a few weeks to a month of playing. You are basically better off making a new account then playing your current one if you want to place well in the current event. And that is just hosed.

I feel like they based the entire game around the player losing often. Like they were going to make their riches on health-pack sales because their ELO match making system would guarantee that people would only win 50% of the time. Unfortunately simple AI, boosts, and poor character balance meant people never lost. All of the recent changes seem to drive you towards losing; Weaker character, expensive boosts, and even the last PvE event, where losing was the the best way to win(?). I think what hasn't occurred to the developers yet is: losing isn't fun. I want to crack skulls as a super hero, not lose half the time in a somewhat simple match-3 game.

I feel like I have a wide enough roster to still enjoy this game, but I am not nearly as motivated to place well in events as I used to be. I'd probably go back to PaD if it ran on Android's new ART runtime.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
One of the funniest things about this event is that the mission with super-villains are actually easier than the ones against pure H.A.M.M.E.R. dudes, since the villains also move tiles and that makes it much easier to deal with countdowns.

Like, 2 pyros and a lieutenant, I am hosed. 2 pyros and the Juggernaut? Great, he will help clear the board.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

trucutru posted:

One of the funniest things about this event is that the mission with super-villains are actually easier than the ones against pure H.A.M.M.E.R. dudes, since the villains also move tiles and that makes it much easier to deal with countdowns.

Like, 2 pyros and a lieutenant, I am hosed. 2 pyros and the Juggernaut? Great, he will help clear the board.

Well... sometimes. Even a highly motivated HAMMER goon will take several turns to plow you. A villain can get a good cascade or two or a lucky crit on turn 2 and fappo! There goes your frontman.

As for the event... I punched 230s yesterday and was #1 in my bracket when I went to bed last night. If I hadn't scored a single point today, I'd still be #1 in my bracket. I'm sensing disaffection in the player base.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

delfin posted:

Well... sometimes. Even a highly motivated HAMMER goon will take several turns to plow you. A villain can get a good cascade or two or a lucky crit on turn 2 and fappo! There goes your frontman.

As for the event... I punched 230s yesterday and was #1 in my bracket when I went to bed last night. If I hadn't scored a single point today, I'd still be #1 in my bracket. I'm sensing disaffection in the player base.

Yeah, it depends on the combination. If the henchmen feed useful energy to the villian you're in trouble. But if they don't (Yelena, Daken, mostly) you are lucky.

You're also sensing the player base not having the tools to deal with the missions, too. I have to make do with the crap I have to finish lvl 110 missions with my lvl 25-30 guys.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
I've only gone down two ranks since yesterday. It's basically just the whales playing while everyone else sits it out. It's completely ridiculous how all the fights are with L140+ enemies now and the only powered up hero they give you is loving Daredevil, who barely came out last event.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

If they want to profit from medpacks the best way is to make all characters "viable" and have missions have fixed levels. You then will slowly lose HP grinding out PvE wins. Oh you'll probably have to get rid of heals for it to actually work. Basically use it like most games use "energy" or you know they could monetize the loving HUGE roster of characters and make it cheaper to roll.

I swear its like they have never played F2P games before or they haven't bothered to test their own game. I'm guessing they really have never play tested the game since the scaling seems to constantly shock them at how high it gets.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Feb 2, 2014

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

You know I haven't placed top 50 in a PVP tournament in I don't know how long, but somehow my MMR is still so high that I see nothing but level 100+ Spider-Man teams. I didn't really care before because even a max level Spider-Man only has around 5k hps, but now without +3/all I discover that I can't actually beat him anymore.

I lost something like five PvP matches today while only winning two and I am still getting these max Spider-Man teams so I'm guessing that I might be unable to compete in PvP or PvE anymore. Dang. The requirement that you had to place in the top of the last PvE tournament to do so in the next one is just so goofy. I sort of get the point is to keep you playing but if you get burned out at all you basically immediately get locked out.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

I'm usually able to do one or two easy pvp matches before it starts throwing out the 50/50/50 teams at me.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Everything I see is 85 Thor/141 Spidey/85 OBW or 141GrayBW

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I haven't had tough match-ups for a while now, since I constantly tank my MMR during the Lightning Rounds repeatedly. The highest I come across most of the time is a level 50 Modern Storm / Iron Man, which is easy as hell to deal with. I also don't bother going for high points in Tournaments. Just enough to get the cover I want, none of this going for first place stuff.

I think MMR is influenced by how many times you attack and are attacked? Even doing two tournaments without any Lightning Round to tank in between (Best There Is & Thornament) I'm still getting really easy matchups.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Decided to sell my Moonstone, which made me sad, but it freed up some space to recruit a random Daredevil I found, which lets me play two more missions in this event, which lets me get high enough to get another Daredevil cover and some Hero Points to maybe, someday, re-recruit Moonstone, assuming I don't get another character I want more, first. (Big if. RIP, Moonstone.)

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Relevant for this terrible game.

http://www.baekdal.com/opinion/how-inapp-purchases-has-destroyed-the-industry/

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
I like how there is an ad at the bottom of the article to subscribe to his site for $9/month.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Largepotato posted:

I like how there is an ad at the bottom of the article to subscribe to his site for $9/month.

That's not relevant. The subscription model has been around for a long time, and it's an honest and clear method of selling content. Consumers know exactly how much year-long access will last and can access all of his content by paying the subscription. The IAP trend wants you to spend every time you hit a paywall, and never gives you an idea of how long until the next paywall, or how many paywalls are going to be necessary to play the game for the next month. I absolutely hate the Dungeon Keeper example he used in the article -- I have no interest in playing any of these games where my buildings will literally take hours to complete. I play games to PLAY them, not so I have yet another timer in my head saying "I have to go start the next building at 11:00", to go along with the ones that say "I need to call that client before 5:00" or "I have to check in on this job site at 8:00". The idea of paying to speed it up seems hilarious, especially because there's literally no end to what you could spend if the entire purpose of the game is to build.

My standards are 1.) Can I get a good gaming experience at a reasonable price point? I'm not an idiot who doesn't understand that F2P is a business proposition, so I don't mind if the free version is a glorified demo, even. But can I get the complete experience for $20/$40/$60 bucks? I'd spend $60 on a new AAA Xbox game, so if I'm enjoying your game that much, I might spend that much on it as long as I feel like I've removed all the paywalls. And 2.) If I spend $20/$40/$60, will someone who's dropped in hundreds of dollars have a notable advantage over me? This is not always an issue, but it is a serious dealbreaker in a game like MPQ where literally all of the content has a competitive angle to it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

A tip for folks at that sweet spot of enemy/classic storm levels (100/50 in my case) trying to get *any* points in Oscorp: With her blue and yellow against mooks with a pyro you can focus on collecting blue, get hit by Flamethrower dropping all your guys below 50%, hit the enemy team for 3000damage in counters and then finish them off with a wind storm.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

I was pleased to see levels drop this morning.

I was displeased to see that they dropped from 230 to 223.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
Hit some of Juggernaut's last missions in the second prologue. Got hit with several headbutts in a row and saw he wasn't taking any damage himself. I don't know what's going on with this game, but i after reading this thread, I don't think I care any more.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I couldn't help but notice that Immediately after they nerf Thor and offer a cashout bonus on him, they roll out a Thornament with the single biggest % boost to Thor that I have ever seen.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

I have a level 6 thor on my team and someone lost to my team on defense. :wtc:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

A.o.D. posted:

I couldn't help but notice that Immediately after they nerf Thor and offer a cashout bonus on him, they roll out a Thornament with the single biggest % boost to Thor that I have ever seen.

It's to show that he has been successfully funbalanced, silly.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I think it says a lot to how people have taken the recent changes that I'm maintaining a top 50 position in the current Heroic by completing a single 150 point mission each day. That's actually all that I'm doing in game at the moment, and I'm only doing it because I really like Daredevil and have some stupid hope the game won't be permanently hosed.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I cant be bothered anymore. The gameplay is so slow now I just get bored and look for something else to do.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
They looked at Wolverine and Thor and thought "Wow everyone is using these guys they must be broken" instead of thinking "Wow no one is using anyone else unless they're boosted. How can we make the other characters more fun to use?"

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
How much of a gently caress my bracket gives:

#3 and I have Spidey-GWidow, most of the rest are swimming in < L50 land.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Ironically the boost change means I'm no longer leaning on them in tournaments, so I wind up with more ISO.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Bruceski posted:

Ironically the boost change means I'm no longer leaning on them in tournaments, so I wind up with more ISO.

Yup!

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Bruceski posted:

My leaning on boosts so while I have a decent roster nobody is max leveled so now I am just getting crushed repeatedly at my MMR, and it looks like MMR tanking is gone. Daredevil looks really good for this brave new world of PvP but I don't think I can get him now without getting lucky on a token.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

delfin posted:

How much of a gently caress my bracket gives:

#3 and I have Spidey-GWidow, most of the rest are swimming in < L50 land.

Hurry up, only 2 more days to get to 54,000 points for those sweet rewards!

Edit: Jesus Christ! If you get into a good position (#7 for me) in a bracket there is a never-ending stream of crabs trying to pull you down. Luckily my team successfully defends about 1/3 of the time (and I don't really give a gently caress about getting higher) or else I would be down 100 points in fifteen minutes.

Edit2: Yup, 7 attacks in 15 minutes. From 7th to 10th.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Feb 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Yeah the points to reward costs on this one are so laughable. Also, you need next to know effort to get the daredevil cover. I played like 2 hours on day 1 and haven't touched it since and I'm still top 10 at sub 3000.