Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

neogeo0823 posted:

Forget all that, the yarn body hair thing is just :allears:

Best comment on the page:

Madican posted:

I didn’t expect to see RK Milholland in this comic, much less in his naked glory.

The resemblance is uncanny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Today's comic's full of info.

Spender saying that they'll have to deal differently with spirits once they pass the barrier confirms that the barrier is meant to keep paranatural energy inside Mayview and not outside it.

So a Tool is something separate from actually being possessed by a spirit? Certain things are Tools, or they become Tools by lieu of absorbing a spirit for the first time then continue on to eat spirits for the rest of its lifespan or what? Or I guess Tools are items that are possessed by a strong spirit, then they (while still possessed) regenerate by eating ghosts/small spirits (thus why Isabel wants to fight them so badly instead of just tossing them out of the train) along with siphoning off energy from its spectral owner.

The takeaway from today's comic is "Ghosts can use Tools, but they'd get eaten by it over time since they don't have a baseline that they can regenerate from, and Tools will suck down energy faster than the ghost can regenerate it."

Also that Max'd better go see his mom soon, and that we're going to have a scene later on where PJ fades away. I wonder what specifically that line about "the mental connection, for ghosts it's a lure, ..." Does this mean that this is why PJ was drawn to Max, or what? That was a little confusing.

Also geez Zack likes to draw characters awkwardly scratching themselves.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I might be reading too much of the Gentleman Bastards series(In which a group of thieves and con men work together flawlessly to bilk everyone out of everything) recently, but did Isabel drop back to let Max ask a question of Spender without her being right next to him? The "oh look my shoe came untied what is this treachery" line seems like a convenient excuse.

Ooooor maybe it's just Isabel being Isabel about her shoe coming undone. Scrub needs to learn a better shoelace knot.

Doctor_Blueninja
Oct 23, 2012

Just some guy with a college doctorate and a passing knowledge of what it means to be a ninja.
I have this weird thing where, in my mind, I imagine that Mr. Spender sounds like Cam Clarke. It makes reading all of his lines more amusing than it would already have been. :allears:

Maybe it's just because Spender reminds me of Liquid Snake.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

rotinaj posted:

I might be reading too much of the Gentleman Bastards series(In which a group of thieves and con men work together flawlessly to bilk everyone out of everything) recently, but did Isabel drop back to let Max ask a question of Spender without her being right next to him? The "oh look my shoe came untied what is this treachery" line seems like a convenient excuse.

Ooooor maybe it's just Isabel being Isabel about her shoe coming undone. Scrub needs to learn a better shoelace knot.

I think she was trying to slow down their sweep so that they would have to resort to drastic (fun) measures. She looked surprised when Max asked his question.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

rotinaj posted:

No, she was just reacting to what Spender said. She wants to use more 'drastic measures'. It's why she says it in such a gleeful, obvious over-the-top way.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Given that a ghost can't effectively use a Tool because the spirit inside will eat them right up...what if a ghost got hold of a Tool with a spirit that's willing to slurp up only a little yarn, or get the ghost to find them spirits or other ghosts to eat?

Also, I think we just found out what the immoral method of crossing the barrier the rabbit spirit mentioned is. I KNEW possessing an item and bonding with a spectral couldn't be it, even though that reflection eating spirit implied that spectrals are abominations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
This page makes the implications for the I can't feel my legs and Who am I? ghosts kind of sad :(

Tenebrais posted:

I think she was trying to slow down their sweep so that they would have to resort to drastic (fun) measures. She looked surprised when Max asked his question.
Thank you, I was driving myself a bit mad trying to work out what the hell the shoe thing was about.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Feb 1, 2014

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tenebrais posted:

Okay, then my read of her having an ulterior motive was right, just for the wrong reason. I do have the Gentleman Bastards books on the brain. Kinda read 3 of them in less than a week.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
If there has been one thing bugging me and I am pretty sure Zack will address it eventually. I wonder what the consequences will be if Johnny and the others learn about spectrals. I mean apart from the obvious freak out of holy poo poo there is ghosts and spectrals. I mean most of Mayviews citizens seem crazy anyways :v:

Sides, would be pretty funny to see Johnny get some spectral type power. Not sure what his be though. Definitely would have to do with his hair though.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Shindragon posted:

If there has been one thing bugging me and I am pretty sure Zack will address it eventually. I wonder what the consequences will be if Johnny and the others learn about spectrals. I mean apart from the obvious freak out of holy poo poo there is ghosts and spectrals. I mean most of Mayviews citizens seem crazy anyways :v:

Sides, would be pretty funny to see Johnny get some spectral type power. Not sure what his be though. Definitely would have to do with his hair though.

He'll find some gloves that makes him even better at beatin nerds.

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
It seems almost inevitable that Johnny's crew will wind up with spectral powers, and I bet that the newspaper people will always be the "normal human" representation. I really feel like I like the glimpses we've seen of the full cast, and I think there's plenty of personality to run with the people we have now. Think of all those school kids who appeared in like 3 strips but are really memorable. The teachers also make a big impression despite their limited time in the spotlight. I could maybe see Johnny's crew becoming the typical amine-esque rivals who become misguided enemies and then become friends.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Roobanguy posted:

He'll find some gloves that makes him even better at beatin nerds.

Him and Lefty would the best buds.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Shindragon posted:

I said it a fair amount of pages back, but I'm still pretty convinced Johnny's getting that plunger with the frogspirit. Infinite Johhny is too good to pass up.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Ah good point I forgot the color of that tool was red. Plus the frog was basically like a bully as well so it would totally work with Johnny.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Shindragon posted:

Ah good point I forgot the color of that tool was red. Plus the frog was basically like a bully as well so it would totally work with Johnny.

It was blue!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The frog really wasn't a bully, he seemed pretty inoffensive (if not a bit grumpy) until Max revealed himself to be a spectral. I imagine a spectral's power can seem pretty loving weird or even offensive to a spirit, so his comments about Max and other spectrals imprisoning his kind and exploiting their powers aren't totally out of line. And I mean, we've only really met the good spectrals, for all we know some - or even most - of them use their new superpowers for less noble purposes. Even the good ones are effectively using spirit powers to fight other spirits.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

kidcoelacanth posted:

It was blue!

Yeah, Isabel's grandfather didn't want it because it wasn't red, so he had no use for it.

Countblanc posted:

The frog really wasn't a bully, he seemed pretty inoffensive (if not a bit grumpy) until Max revealed himself to be a spectral. I imagine a spectral's power can seem pretty loving weird or even offensive to a spirit, so his comments about Max and other spectrals imprisoning his kind and exploiting their powers aren't totally out of line. And I mean, we've only really met the good spectrals, for all we know some - or even most - of them use their new superpowers for less noble purposes. Even the good ones are effectively using spirit powers to fight other spirits.

I dunno, all the other spirits were terrified of it. And it attacked PJ. Or, well, whatever the hell making clones of itself sprout from PJ's eyes can be considered. It was definitely offensive.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I feel really dumb for just now realizing Isabel is Hispanic. I just assumed she was Asian all this time. I blame the dojo.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Countblanc posted:

Except for the part where he noted he could just disarm Max and was like "Nah I'd rather commit preemptive murder"

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

AnonSpore posted:

I feel really dumb for just now realizing Isabel is Hispanic. I just assumed she was Asian all this time. I blame the dojo.

I remember hearing Zack say somewhere that she was half hispanic, half Chinese. Can anyone confirm, or am I making this up?

Doctor_Blueninja
Oct 23, 2012

Just some guy with a college doctorate and a passing knowledge of what it means to be a ninja.

ProfessorProf posted:

I remember hearing Zack say somewhere that she was half hispanic, half Chinese. Can anyone confirm, or am I making this up?

I don't know anything about what Zack said for her ethnicity, but that might just be the way he draws people with an Asian background. While flipping through the start of Chapter 4 again, I found this guy, and he seems to have the same skin tone as Isabela.

If someone could find what Zack said though, that'd be better. I'm not exactly sure what her race is. :shrug:

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
You could probably just ask him on twitter or in the comments or something, he's always been really willing to answer questions about the comic.

ionicism
Jun 18, 2005

Oh! You should kill her!

ProfessorProf posted:

Yeah, he said in the comments for chapter two that her mom's Chinese and her dad's Hispanic:

Should be interesting to see them show up, especially as we know they're spectrals.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Prison Warden posted:

I'm more inclined to believe it is Magnet Snake, if it is any of the spirits we've seen so far.

I doubt they would have had a tool containing the most powerful spirit that ever was just sitting in the tool closet with the others.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Ariong posted:

I doubt they would have had a tool containing the most powerful spirit that ever was just sitting in the tool closet with the others.

Considering what Magnet Snake has said so far, it's possible. If it really is a fragment of some larger, more powerful being, then everyone might've thought it was a small enough fragment to not really matter much.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

neogeo0823 posted:

Considering what Magnet Snake has said so far, it's possible. If it really is a fragment of some larger, more powerful being, then everyone might've thought it was a small enough fragment to not really matter much.

I've asked this before but, do we have any actual reason to believe thus far that such spirit fragmentation is even a thing?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Do we have any reason not to?

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Tollymain posted:

Do we have any reason not to?

It's all just a dream or a regular child torn from his old life by an irresponsible father as he tries to cope with a new school and making new friends.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Max's introduction to ghosts is a metaphor for how he's dealing with his mom's death. Magnet powers are a metaphor for Max withdrawing from people and playing with objects.

Isaac is a metaphor for anime.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

SlothfulCobra posted:

Isaac is a anime.
Fixed that for you.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Captain Oblivious posted:

I've asked this before but, do we have any actual reason to believe thus far that such spirit fragmentation is even a thing?

I think people are basing it off this strip and how Magnet Snake "didn't end up with the sense of humor." Which could mean any number of things. Personally I didn't think Magnet Snake looked very fragmented, but who knows. Zack has been knocking down mysteries at a pretty good clip so I'm content to wait that particular one out.

Doctor_Blueninja
Oct 23, 2012

Maduo posted:

I think people are basing it off this strip and how Magnet Snake "didn't end up with the sense of humor." Which could mean any number of things. Personally I didn't think Magnet Snake looked very fragmented, but who knows. Zack has been knocking down mysteries at a pretty good clip so I'm content to wait that particular one out.

I always thought that line was Magnet Snake referencing the fact that Max is the one with the sense of humor, rather than him.

What's all this spirit fragmenting business based off of? What implied it? I'm afraid I'm not too familiar with the community for this comic, so I'm not sure of all of the popular fan-theories that are out there.

vvv Edit: Oh, it's just that one line of dialogue then? Alrighty then.

Doctor_Blueninja fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Feb 2, 2014

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Your answer is in the post you just quoted and responded to.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.
...It took me till now to realize the mysterious can thrower in Chapter 2 is actually Max's tool power thing.

Can't believe I didn't think of that.

Aqua Outlaw
Apr 26, 2005

Guard thy ambrosial tears.

Maduo posted:

Here's my crazy theory. Magnet Snake isn't a snake. He's a hydra.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Aqua Outlaw posted:

Yeah, that was my immediate guess too after that page. Plus from what we've seen of Scrapdragon his one head definitely looks somehow hydralike.

Who knows though, all this is conjecture until we find out some more through the comic.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Aqua Outlaw posted:

I mean it's possible, but the Chapter 2 cover image screams "snake" to me pretty loud.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Something amazing has happened.

https://twitter.com/paranaturalzack/status/429855411022204929/photo/1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Hahahahhaa. I don't think McGruff when that picture shows up though.

I think Mr T.