Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Deus ex Machina is the Latin version of a Greek phrase meaning "God of the Machine" (or possibly "The Machine of God"). It refers to a practice in Greek theater where a play would be resolved at the end by divine intervention. The god (or gift from a god, in one case) would be lowered in from above to signify its divinity, but the crane doing the lowering was obvious to the audience, hence being a god by right of a machine.

This is kind of minor, but Deus Ex Machina actually means "God from the Machine" in Latin. "Ex" means from, or away from.

God of the Machine would be Deus Machinae.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Feb 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
Alternately, just kill yourself immediately with a rocket and save yourself the trouble. Paul will be alive as long as you don't jump out the window first.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Well, no, sorry everybody but the only proper way to handle that situation is to use your powers of nanoprecognition and strategic planting of explosives to cleanse the unbelievers.

It somehow gets even better with BioMod because they give you WP grenades in that. You simply walk out and watch the piled-up corpses of those who would deny their Lord and Savior J.C. with the occasional unfortunate bastard still running around on fire. Paul usually puts them out of their misery pretty fast, though.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Cerebral Bore posted:

Well, no, sorry everybody but the only proper way to handle that situation is to use your powers of nanoprecognition and strategic planting of explosives to cleanse the unbelievers.

This right here. Sure it's amusing to see paul and the ai do their faux-strafing as they duke it out, but the correct answer to that problem is a gep-round to the face of your opponents.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
I played Deus Ex a lot back in the day, but had no idea Paul could actually survive until I played Deus Ex 2 and much to my surprise, there he was... alive. :saddowns:

My memories of the sequence are vague, but there was a part (in Deus Ex 1) where you were on the way to help Paul and met what seemed to me to be such overwhelming opposition that I assumed it was just scripted that you would be 'killed' (captured) and couldn't reach Paul. The fact that you were captured rather than killed is what really made me think that, from memory. It was the first game I'd played that did something like that.

Maybe things would have been different had I ever carried a GEP gun around...

So I'm really looking forward to that part of the game in this LP so I can see how it's 'meant' to go.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Antistar01 posted:

Maybe things would have been different had I ever carried a GEP gun around...

Firing a WP rocket into the lobby is one of the killingest moments in the entire game. :swoon:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I think the first time I did that sequence I went in through the window, then killed the MIB that comes in through the front door and died in his death explosion.

Still counted for saving Paul though!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

gently caress me I had no idea Paul could survive, I thought his death was guaranteed regardless of what you did and I've played through the game half a dozen times. How does it affect the plot?

Doctor_Blueninja
Oct 23, 2012

Just some guy with a college doctorate and a passing knowledge of what it means to be a ninja.

Slavvy posted:

gently caress me I had no idea Paul could survive, I thought his death was guaranteed regardless of what you did and I've played through the game half a dozen times. How does it affect the plot?

Not by a lot, actually. He disappears, for the most part, and then only pops up as a subject in conversations here and there for the rest of the game.

There's one instance of him speaking to JC toward the end of the game, if he survives New York, but that's the only major conversation that I think he has after that point.

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

Slavvy posted:

He shows up once in Tracer Tong's little lab area to say thanks for the help, and right before choosing the ending where he tells you "I dunno, pick what you think is best?"

I think that's it? It's been awhile. Nothing significant really, just the occasional reminder that he's alive and that you're a good bro.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.

Penakoto posted:

He shows up once in Tracer Tong's little lab area to say thanks for the help, and right before choosing the ending where he tells you "I dunno, pick what you think is best?"

I think that's it? It's been awhile. Nothing significant really, just the occasional reminder that he's alive and that you're a good bro.

I always ended up saving him. Who shows up in his place during that conversation if he dies?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Penakoto posted:

This is the point at which Paul accepts that his place as a protagonist was supplanted by the clone / reload of the player's whim, which is like a very deep commentary on the issue of agency on videogames.

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

Outpost22 posted:

I always ended up saving him. Who shows up in his place during that conversation if he dies?

Tracer Tong replaces him near the end.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Willie Tomg posted:

Firing a WP rocket into the lobby is one of the killingest moments in the entire game. :swoon:

Are Wooly P rounds even available in the game before that point? Where?!

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde

Penakoto posted:

Tracer Tong replaces him near the end.

I don't think that's right. Tong has his own appearance near the end, but if Paul doesn't survive, the hologram emitter for him doesn't let anyone through.

There's one other place where you see Paul if he survives: the MJ12 bunker. If he survives the raid, he'll be alive and talking. If not, he'll be on the slab. Finding him is an objective.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

They say that he who dies with the most Opil wins.

I am winning.

Outpost22 posted:

I think the one who encourages you to make your own choice instead of Paul at the end is Gary Savage, if I recall correctly. Tong is the one advocating for 'throw the world into a dark age, SURELY there will be no tyranny then!' in all cases. (I pretty much think Tong's plan is painfully naïve and misguided; dark ages have a great way of encouraging savage and ruthless tyranny. Even if it's not a global conspiracy, and instead a series of local strongmen, that's still not 'freedom', and I think it's foolishness to think causing a dark age will result in freedom.)

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

nweismuller posted:

I think the one who encourages you to make your own choice instead of Paul at the end is Gary Savage, if I recall correctly.

I think you do. Tong is always Tong.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I never cared about saving Paul. Dude was useless and a wet blanket anyway.

On the other hand, letting Jock die was something I refused to do again. :v:

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
So in other words you guys are saying "No; Savage."? :haw:

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

They say that he who dies with the most Opil wins.

I am winning.

Antistar01 posted:

So in other words you guys are saying "No; Savage."? :haw:

"UNATCO?"

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Savage.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Fabulousity posted:

Are Wooly P rounds even available in the game before that point? Where?!

Down in the MJ12 outpost in the Hell's Kitchen sewers, IIRC.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

U...UNATCO??

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Slavvy posted:

U...UNATCO??

Quit screwing around.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

nweismuller posted:

I think the one who encourages you to make your own choice instead of Paul at the end is Gary Savage, if I recall correctly. Tong is the one advocating for 'throw the world into a dark age, SURELY there will be no tyranny then!' in all cases. (I pretty much think Tong's plan is painfully naïve and misguided; dark ages have a great way of encouraging savage and ruthless tyranny. Even if it's not a global conspiracy, and instead a series of local strongmen, that's still not 'freedom', and I think it's foolishness to think causing a dark age will result in freedom.)

I don't think he is naive at all. He is a high-ranking member of one of the most significant criminal organizations in the world that could stand up to MJ12 on its own. This is the only time he talks about freedom and most probably defines it the libertarian manner.

Edit: Also, about Gunther - letting him go with a weapon is the only way to make him happy. When you don't give him a pistol, he gets convinced that UNATCO wants to put their newest augmented agent in the spotlight. When you talk with him, he treats you like a soon-to-be-fired employee would treat his future replacement.

For maximum hilarity leave him in the cell. He won't shut up about it for the entire loving game, even when he has other grievances with JC.

Gantolandon fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Feb 2, 2014

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Gantolandon posted:

For maximum hilarity leave him in the cell. He won't shut up about it for the entire loving game, even when he has other grievances with JC.

but ... but ... but xp :negative:

Livewire42
Oct 2, 2013

nweismuller posted:

Also Tong never shuts the hell up in Paris and has the worst voice actor. Tong sucks, in other words.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Gantolandon posted:

Edit: Also, about Gunther - letting him go with a weapon is the only way to make him happy. When you don't give him a pistol, he gets convinced that UNATCO wants to put their newest augmented agent in the spotlight. When you talk with him, he treats you like a soon-to-be-fired employee would treat his future replacement.

I can't remember if it was mentioned in that episode, but if you have augs in a weapon and give it away, will the next copy of that weapon have those same augs? I thought Bobbin said they do, but then that takes some pressure off of getting back your weapons when escaping the MJ12 base later. What about if you have Biomod and Shifter installed?

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

C-Euro posted:

I can't remember if it was mentioned in that episode, but if you have augs in a weapon and give it away, will the next copy of that weapon have those same augs? I thought Bobbin said they do, but then that takes some pressure off of getting back your weapons when escaping the MJ12 base later. What about if you have Biomod and Shifter installed?

I believe Bobbin corrected himself in an earlier post saying that if you give that weapon away it's gone for good, you have to start from a fresh unmodded one.

Here it is:

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I just double-checked my statement, and either I was incorrect all along or (and I'm going with this myself) it's a bug that got patched out and I'm still too used to the original unpatched version. The mods on any weapon you drop or give away will not return the next time you pick a copy up, so if you intend to trick out your pistol and still do Gunther a solid, then either drop the pistol and grab a random terrorist's to hand off or else wait until after meeting him to apply the mods.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

The best way to deal with that is just to drop all your weapons on the ground. Gunther is happy with a combat knife.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
The MJ12 base is a special case as you're explicitly getting back your weapons. You have to be a bit careful and check, but one of the pistols in the armoury will be your modded one, etc.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

nweismuller posted:

Personally I've always felt that the Dark Age ending could have been handled much, much better, or at least they could have come up with much better arguments for it (not that any of the endings has very good arguments going for it).

Let's instead say that Tong would claim that something like Helios was an inevitable result of technological progress, and as long as the tech exists someone will keep trying to pull off what Page did and that it's inevitable that someone succeeds sooner or later. Thus you need to nuke the internet to make this impossible.

I mean, it's not a particularly good argument, but it's at least more convincing than "blow up the net because I say so".

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Cerebral Bore posted:

I mean, it's not a particularly good argument, but it's at least more convincing than "blow up the net because I say so".

Nah trust me bro I've done this a dozen times!

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Slavvy posted:

Nah trust me bro I've done this a dozen times!

drat IT guys.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
No, guys, you don't get it. It's time for government on a scale human beings can understand! The scale where you hit a dude on the head with a rock because you want his stuff!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

The compelling part of Tong's argument is that if you want to prevent unbreakable control of every aspect of life, he's the only game in town.

The Helios system controls all advanced information flow. It knows and can stop every phone call, every email, every data link. Plus, they have access to nano-fabrication that basically sets up a post scarcity society, all under the control of either a small conspiracy of the ultra rich or a godlike entity.

Whoever wins at the end of Deus Ex, except Tong, wins. Any attempt to organize resistance using anything more advanced than a pen and paper is revealed instantly. The powers that be now have infinite disposable shock troopers and super plagues to wipe out anyone who's up for a fight anyway.

Tong's route "just" wipes out global communications, killing millions by all odds, but it's the only option that can be reversed. Ignoring his romanticism, he's leaving a world that's still a varied set of civilizations with their own futures to plot. Now, depending on your view of humanity those futures might mostly be Lord of the Flies, but it's the only option that leaves a free and democratic society even possible.

Up to the individual if the (obscene) risks and costs are worth the reward, but the rewards are exclusive. Also, assuming human extinction isn't go, there's a second chance at Helios or Illuminati down the line. You pick one of the others, that's it.

Lamia Domina
Apr 5, 2011

Gantolandon posted:

I don't think he is naive at all. He is a high-ranking member of one of the most significant criminal organizations in the world that could stand up to MJ12 on its own. This is the only time he talks about freedom and most probably defines it the libertarian manner.

I absolutely fail to follow your point. So his fictitious credentials validate the logic behind any line the author puts in his mouth?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Lamia Domina posted:

I absolutely fail to follow your point. So his fictitious credentials validate the logic behind any line the author puts in his mouth?

I can't speak for him, but I think that Gantolandon's argument is that Tong is stringing you along because he'd have a pretty good shot at carving out his own petty empire in the chaos that follows.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Cerebral Bore posted:

I can't speak for him, but I think that Gantolandon's argument is that Tong is stringing you along because he'd have a pretty good shot at carving out his own petty empire in the chaos that follows.

Yeah, mostly that. Tracer Tong is a criminal, whose people regularly extort the simple merchants on the streers and sabotage their shops if they won't pay up. He helped fighting Page only before mooching as much favors from JC as possible, including supplying the Triads with a high-tech weapon. This is not a guy whom I see as a champion of freedom for the common people.

chiasaur11 posted:

The compelling part of Tong's argument is that if you want to prevent unbreakable control of every aspect of life, he's the only game in town.

The Helios system controls all advanced information flow. It knows and can stop every phone call, every email, every data link. Plus, they have access to nano-fabrication that basically sets up a post scarcity society, all under the control of either a small conspiracy of the ultra rich or a godlike entity.

Whoever wins at the end of Deus Ex, except Tong, wins. Any attempt to organize resistance using anything more advanced than a pen and paper is revealed instantly. The powers that be now have infinite disposable shock troopers and super plagues to wipe out anyone who's up for a fight anyway.

Tong's route "just" wipes out global communications, killing millions by all odds, but it's the only option that can be reversed. Ignoring his romanticism, he's leaving a world that's still a varied set of civilizations with their own futures to plot. Now, depending on your view of humanity those futures might mostly be Lord of the Flies, but it's the only option that leaves a free and democratic society even possible.

Up to the individual if the (obscene) risks and costs are worth the reward, but the rewards are exclusive. Also, assuming human extinction isn't go, there's a second chance at Helios or Illuminati down the line. You pick one of the others, that's it.

The ultimate problem with Tong's vision is that it is hilariously over the top for something that doesn't even really solve the problem. The Illuminati ran the world before the Internet and nanofabrication were a thing and there is nothing preventing them from building another Helios. Hell, the world could as well laud them as saviors if they manage to build another global network and stop the chaos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Gantolandon posted:

The ultimate problem with Tong's vision is that it is hilariously over the top for something that doesn't even really solve the problem. The Illuminati ran the world before the Internet and nanofabrication were a thing and there is nothing preventing them from building another Helios. Hell, the world could as well laud them as saviors if they manage to build another global network and stop the chaos.

As a matter of fact, that's basically what they're going for at the end of Invisible War since JC did blow up Echelon and that more than anything affected the nature of society in the sequel.

• Locked thread