Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Another Person posted:

Yeah, that is an issue. The midcard belts should matter more through the management putting the time into it. Although, you say that one belt is less opportunity to gently caress up, it does also mean when they do gently caress it up, like putting it on Batista, the only real alternative is the midcard that doesn't get given the time it needs.

E: I don't know Young, but Regal commentates now? Cool! He sounds like a really good choice, tbh.

Young does some of the "interviews" backstage on Raw, and shows up once every few episodes of NXT. She's pretty loving good. Regal is loving amazing, but just a bit too soft spoken. The dynamic him, Young, and JBL could have together would be a thing of beauty. JBL as the rear end in a top hat heel, Young as the face, Regal as the tweener play by play man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The real answer is to just watch VGCW.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

Full time, baby.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I really like the idea of VGCW, but I just get bored trying to watch it. Probably due to having to read it in between the broken rear end AI matches.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

I can't get into VGCW because NoDQ CAW and Slam n Jam got there first in 2004. NoDQ had a loving brand split too and produced two shows a week and they would compete by comparing the download numbers. And Link turning heel to become Las Vegas Link and forming the Nintendo World Order with the Mario Bros is hilarious to me. And having Mr Clean as a Ric Flair like character is pretty funny. (Also the guy actually scripted matches by playing with two controllers to get some of the more tricksy stuff you could get to happen in the Wrestlemania XIX and Day of Reckoning engines.)

Look at this nonsense.

Szmitten fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Feb 2, 2014

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Well streaming wasn't a thing back then so rip the stuff you just posted. That ain't VGCW's fault.

I started and stopped watching wrestling in middle school. The appeal wore off pretty fast. I mean they're just regular dudes play acting and sweating on each other.

Not that there's anything wrong with that in whatever sense you want to like it. Melodramatics own

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
I think if entrance walk ins were not a thing, I never would've gotten into wrestling.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
The entrances are the only part of VGCW I watch. King of all Carlos :allears:

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
There is a new Unfinished up, Mighty Quest for Awful Titles. Jeff and Vinny, and Sunday content is always welcome. Game looks eaaaasy.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Captain Invictus posted:

Get hype.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

Another Person posted:

There is a new Unfinished up, Mighty Quest for Awful Titles. Jeff and Vinny, and Sunday content is always welcome. Game looks eaaaasy.

The difficulty is pretty much dependent on the ability of other peoples dungeon building skill.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
The whole "half of this game is a level creator, the other half is to incentivize people to actually make levels and play other's" concept is pretty ingenious, although the whole dependency on the size/activity of the online playerbase seems like a risky gamble (moreso for indie games, less so for the f2p concept). The diablo-like core game part looks shamefully bland though.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
I want to start watching VGCW but I hate going into a story midway through...

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

BARONS GAMES WHINER posted:

Oh dude you don't know the half of it:

:nws:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQGN8J18KA8

:nws:

Dude went even more mental.

:lol:

I wonder how many concussions and how much brain damage he's built up to this point.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Cityinthesea posted:

Same here. Unfortunately, even the videos people have linked me to as a starting point always seem to be joining a match in progress. If there was a definitive beginning to VGCW, I guess it happened in an unarchived stream?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Cityinthesea posted:

The current season/story arc ends next week, so you can go in reasonably fresh after that.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Honestly the plot of VGCW isn't really necessary except in the now. You can read up on the story on the wiki if you want, but it's not super important. It might actually lead to you liking different characters than most because a lot of the love/hate for some characters is entirely on their past performances. Jumping in after the next episode would likely be the best route, since each episode of VGCW is multiple hours long, the backlog is likely hundreds of hours in length at this point. And that's not even counting WVGCW, VGCW @ Home, or SNST or EDBW if you fall down the derivative rabbit hole.

Szmitten posted:

I can't get into VGCW because NoDQ CAW and Slam n Jam got there first in 2004.
Cool because some guys did a thing a literal decade ago you can't watch something similar today. Do you not play current video games because stuff in the 90's might have done it first?

edit: also if plot's necessary for you, you can go through the past shows on Zylch3's episode recordings and just click all the "plot" videos. And ask in the VGCW thread for some crucial fights to watch, Red vs Scorpion is one of the fan favorites and apparently was actually nominated for best match of the year. In the actual wrestling subforum's MOTY thread.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Feb 2, 2014

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
I always watch the NXT equivelent because no plot and the fact that Giant Bomb Jeff Garcia is a monster :getin:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Speaking of the intersection between Giant Bomb and Sports Entertainment, another Best Of video went up focusing on Jeff and Vinny blindly fumbling through sports games.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTatkYU8wJQ

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

RoadCrewWorker posted:

The whole "half of this game is a level creator, the other half is to incentivize people to actually make levels and play other's" concept is pretty ingenious, although the whole dependency on the size/activity of the online playerbase seems like a risky gamble (moreso for indie games, less so for the f2p concept). The diablo-like core game part looks shamefully bland though.

It still looks a lot better than that idiot's Castle Doctrine game though.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Well, it is basically Diablo combat in a timed user created dungeon. Compare to weird kind of turn based dog maulings.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Jeff picked a bunch of real boring songs to play in Audiosurf.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

He should just get the Revengeance soundtrack then select all of them. I'm pretty sure by the time the RULES OF NATURE chorus comes along the game will be having you pick up a 10 story tall robot then throwing it 100 meters away, despite the fact that there isn't any robots of that nature in the game.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

cheesetriangles posted:

Jeff picked a bunch of real boring songs to play in Audiosurf.

I think they need to get permission to play anything they don't own the rights to or isn't included with the game. So no Papa Roach in that QL.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
Are they still going to improve the choose your song interface or is it going to be stuck in that basic file finder forever?

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer

Liquid Penguins fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Apr 6, 2015

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

cronox2 posted:

Are they still going to improve the choose your song interface or is it going to be stuck in that basic file finder forever?

Honestly the file finder works for me better than most games that try to scan your library do. I've got music dating back to ripped CDs from when I was 12, so it's pretty god drat massive, and causes most games to poo poo themselves during the "importing" phase.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
Just got through watching UPF. Incredibly proud to see Christmas Alpaca Adventure get played by Drew.

Dan McFarline is a great friend of mine and worked on APB in Dev QA.

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

You worked on APB?

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

:love: HOTLANTA :love:
IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS

Eastbound Spider posted:

You worked on APB?

Yeah 25 MONSTAR FACSIMILES designed the driving and shooting mechanics of that treasure.

Or he was in public relations but had a hard time relating to said public because despite how hard the team worked and crunched the game was, well you know.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Eastbound Spider posted:

You worked on APB?

This has to be news cause I have definitely never heard this before!

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

The Kins posted:

Speaking of the intersection between Giant Bomb and Sports Entertainment, another Best Of video went up focusing on Jeff and Vinny blindly fumbling through sports games.

What a season.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Eastbound Spider posted:

You worked on APB?

He single handedly programmed the entire game in his garage on an Apple II.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
SquareSpace just had a super bowl ad.

It wasn't as good as Jeff's though.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Saint Freak posted:

SquareSpace just had a super bowl ad.

It wasn't as good as Jeff's though.

None of them are.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Another Person posted:

I dunno that game actually looks pretty cool. Like a not poo poo version of Castle Doctrine that's actually fun to play. The f2p limits seem really terrible though. Like they said just a 15 dollar game that is like this but a straight forward not f2p game would be cool.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

TheJoker138 posted:

He single handedly programmed the entire game in his garage on an Apple II.

that would certainly explain a lot

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

The Kins posted:

Ahhhh, this is all gold :allears:

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

The Kins posted:

Better than the Super Bowl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

VDay posted:

Better than the Super Bowl.
Similarly, Jeff Greene is escaping the Duke's prison right now and it's the best thing. His spatial awareness combined with the archives layout drove the chat nuts. :allears:

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Feb 3, 2014

• Locked thread