Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GrimRevenant
Mar 28, 2011

Je Reviendrai.
If I recall correctly, didn't Cardinal Monçada of Spain (of Sabbat fame) possess True Faith? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

GrimRevenant posted:

If I recall correctly, didn't Cardinal Monçada of Spain (of Sabbat fame) possess True Faith? :psyduck:

He did! It wasn't too high, though, and was declared as him beliving with absolute certainty in his own damnation by God's will.

UrbicaMortis posted:

Do they give any examples of characters with that rating or is it pretty much just Jesus?

I don't thin I've ever seen a rating of 10; there is an ancient Gargoyle though named Ferox who believes himself to be an exiled angel which translates into a rating of 9. His faith is so strong that he has to wear shades at all time because it is shining through his eyes, sort of like a Catholic version of Cyclops :v:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

System Metternich posted:

I don't thin I've ever seen a rating of 10; there is an ancient Gargoyle though named Ferox who believes himself to be an exiled angel which translates into a rating of 9. His faith is so strong that he has to wear shades at all time because it is shining through his eyes, sort of like a Catholic version of Cyclops :v:
However, he still doesn't pass God's last test for salvation :v:

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

UrbicaMortis posted:

Do they give any examples of characters with that rating or is it pretty much just Jesus?

Pretty much Jesus. The Storyteller system traits are 1-5 for the range of human ability, with 5 being the best in the world. 6-10 are superhuman levels of whatever it is--inhuman strength, ethereal and terrible beauty, complete skill mastery, or holy-book-level-capital-P Prophet faith.

True Faith is especially rare even at low levels (because of the Technocratic consensus and that Lucifer has been draining the pool to starve his Tormented buddies); so the bigger problem is that a vampire would probably get fried to a crisp even getting near a guy with TF 10. I guess you could call that getting cured of the Embrace. :v:

Edit: VVV Golconda was a much bigger focus in the earlier editions. It a mythical way of curing the Embrace or completely caging the Beast. There was even a secretive "Third Way" sect called the Inconnu consisting of mostly withdrawn Elders that kept out of most politics and spent their time supposedly researching and seeking Golconda. The "suggested" mechanics for it start with "Get Humanity 10, then do some sort of spirit quest" and get fuzzier from there: it was intended to be an open-ended questmachine for STs. When attained, if you're still a vampire you wouldn't need to feed anymore (at least, you wouldn't lose BP just from waking at night--disciplines still need juice to work), you'd be immune to Rotschreck (fire fear), and might even be able to daywalk...ST fiat as to what the benefits are. Of course, if you lost humanity or otherwise stepped out of the "humble monk" archetype you'd fall from grace and be a regular vamp.

In later editions (Revised/V20) both the Inconnu and Golconda became much more mythical and served as more of a "yeah, right" punchline than a serious thing to seek out--though of course the option is still there.

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Feb 2, 2014

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
WW has managed to consistently write Level 10 as Storyteller hax. What's Golconda?

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Come now! Look me in the eye and tell me - isn't this the face of a guy you can trust?
Lipstick Apathy

UrbicaMortis posted:

Also Caine, for fairly obvious reasons.

Golconda is basically a state of grace for vampires where they don't have to drink blood anymore and don't die in sunlight. Maybe. All of the stuff I've seen about Golconda was pretty nebulous and supposed to be defined by the ST. But it involves many things, including being Humanity 10, which is virtually impossible to maintain.

EDIT: f,b.

MaskedHuzzah fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Feb 3, 2014

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

MaskedHuzzah posted:

All of the stuff I've seen about Golconda was pretty nebulous and supposed to be defined by the ST. But it involves many things, including being Humanity 10, which is virtually impossible to maintain.

I think the storyteller fiat became more important as Golconda became more nebulous. Like, Golconda is more akin to a peculiar state of enlightenment rather than a quest of spiritual redemption, which more or less meant that the bloodsucker that managed to do it wasn't necessary a good one. Fits with Saulot suddenly not being all that good as well.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

DeusExMachinima posted:

WW has managed to consistently write Level 10 as Storyteller hax. What's Golconda?

Golconda is the rumored state of grace that vampires can achieve. It's basically the undead Enlightenment. Once you get really high on your Path/Road, you get pulled to go out and do... something. Some sort of test called the Suspire. In Chaining the Beast, the book about Paths of Enlightenment, there's an example of an elder Toreador, I think, who starts shedding the ennui of the ages and begins to rekindle his lost humanity. He basically relives the day he was embraced, when he sailed out to see and ended up on a small island where his sire was awaiting him. This time around, he weighs the choice of going or staying, since he left his family behind that day. He ends up sailing to the island once again, where the vision's version of his sire chides him for leaving his humanity behind by choice this time. He failed the Suspire. The story ends with him setting sail to try and find that island again in the modern nights. It would be a nice hopeful story in any other setting, but this is the WoD. There's a letter attached from a minion who investigated the Toreador's boat, wherein there was found a memoir of the Suspire, a very expensive sword, and a large amount of ash :v:

Halloweenhead
Jan 26, 2009

~*4 walls & adobe slabs*~
Just posting again to say I <3 this thread. I like that it's a mixture of discussion about the actual videogame and then a TON of rants about the crazy convoluted source material.

I actually recently found out some friends of friends who get together occasionally to roleplay. I was considering joining their 'coterie' for a session to see if I'd like it. They apparently are doing a Camarilla campaign -- I was considering playing as a Lasombra antitribu since I really like the qualities of the clan, but don't really like the whole Sabbat thing. Do you think this would work out okay, or is it veering too close to a cliche, kinda like the so-called "fish Malk" stereotype?

Keep up the good work gatz.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Halloweenhead posted:

Just posting again to say I <3 this thread. I like that it's a mixture of discussion about the actual videogame and then a TON of rants about the crazy convoluted source material.

I actually recently found out some friends of friends who get together occasionally to roleplay. I was considering joining their 'coterie' for a session to see if I'd like it. They apparently are doing a Camarilla campaign -- I was considering playing as a Lasombra antitribu since I really like the qualities of the clan, but don't really like the whole Sabbat thing. Do you think this would work out okay, or is it veering too close to a cliche, kinda like the so-called "fish Malk" stereotype?

Las antis do exist, they're just fairly rare. And yes, they're generally the best of both worlds--the haughty nature of the Lasombra with the pure politicking of the Camarilla. If the ST is ok with it, go wild...fish malks are terrible because they're ridiculous, stupid, a poor representation of the horror that is mental illness, and tend to just be massive attention whores. A Lasombra antitribu can be a bit of an attention grabber if played poorly, but unless you're using shadow tentacles more than a bad anime it shouldn't be too bad.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

Someone mentioned gargoyles recently... Let's wait to explain what they are later.

Halloweenhead posted:

OAquinas posted:

Las antis do exist, they're just fairly rare. And yes, they're generally the best of both worlds--the haughty nature of the Lasombra with the pure politicking of the Camarilla. If the ST is ok with it, go wild...fish malks are terrible because they're ridiculous, stupid, a poor representation of the horror that is mental illness, and tend to just be massive attention whores. A Lasombra antitribu can be a bit of an attention grabber if played poorly, but unless you're using shadow tentacles more than a bad anime it shouldn't be too bad.
It also provides an excellent ST plot hook, since if there are any nearby Sabbat who know you exist, they are going to try their darndest to exterminate you to keep you from spreading knowledge about Obtenebration to the Cammies. I think the key points when playing an antitribu are: coming up with a plausible explanation for why your PC isn't in the usual sect and why they aren't (completely) dead, and playing out the consequences of being an antitribu (Sabbat coming after you, Camarilla considering you untrustworthy, having to be extra subtle with your shadowmancy, etc.).

This obviously doesn't matter as much with clans where antitribu are more common and they go back generations, but Tzimisce, Lasombra and Tremere are pretty restrictive. As of the Revised edition, literally every single Sabbat Tremere antitribu was obliterated in Mexico City in 1999* in typically hilarious WoD fashion, so good luck explaining that one.

* Goratrix definitely doesn't count. I'm sure there is at least one exception, since this is oWoD and there is always something contradictory in a splatbook somewhere.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

Halloweenhead posted:

Thank you. For anyone who's wondering, no, this thread is not abandoned by any stretch of the imagination. I've just been busy.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.

Halloweenhead posted:

From experience I would say start with a more "typical" clan for your first char. You really need experience to play a char like that right, however well read you might be.
(It might be easier in a pen and paper RP though, my own experience is mostly from LARPing.)

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Stroop There It Is posted:

As of the Revised edition, literally every single Sabbat Tremere antitribu was obliterated in Mexico City in 1999* in typically hilarious WoD fashion, so good luck explaining that one.

* Goratrix definitely doesn't count. I'm sure there is at least one exception, since this is oWoD and there is always something contradictory in a splatbook somewhere.

Easy enough. Just be a Tremere Anarch instead :v:

And Goratrix was the one who set up that lovely little psuedo-clan implosion, so yeah, he doesn't count. He's his own team now.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Malk pretty clearly means Malkavian, which is already a character type I'd be worried about letting someone play. It'd be "Chaotic Neutral Bard" all over again. However, what does the "fish" part mean?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Vicissitude posted:

Easy enough. Just be a Tremere Anarch instead :v:

And Goratrix was the one who set up that lovely little psuedo-clan implosion, so yeah, he doesn't count. He's his own team now.

Technically he's just a reflection of his former self. :rimshot:

We've been over it already, but this LP is pretty thick as it stands. Fish Malks are "ha ha, I'm INSANE, let me act all goofy and random to show it!" characters. Think Kenders mixed with Bards mixed with whatever serves to derail people and grab attention. Malkavians are all insane (its their clan weakness after all) but thanks to society's aversion to the topic and some bad pop cultural references most people have no idea how to properly play it. The fish part was because of a picture of a malk in the dark ages book that was randomly holding a fish in a situation where it was clearly out of place. A fishmalk tends to ruin the atmosphere (its the World of Darkness; you tend to start at impotent angst and work down from there), derail or short-circuit the storyline, and generally otherwise get on other people's nerves. If the group is good they'll stake and bury the malk or otherwise deal with it in short order, but usually the damage is done at that point. Just terrible all around.

Most experienced STs have learned to restrict people playing malkavians to either very experienced players and/or those who write up a good character and clearly have a handle on the mental issues to be portrayed.

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Feb 4, 2014

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

Arcade Rabbit posted:

Malk pretty clearly means Malkavian, which is already a character type I'd be worried about letting someone play. It'd be "Chaotic Neutral Bard" all over again. However, what does the "fish" part mean?

Stroop There It Is posted:

I think the origin of the term might be from this picture from a Vampire: the Dark Ages. (Linked because it's pretty NSFW.)
It's either that or it's because "fish" has lolrandom monkeycheese associations. Probably related to that one Monty Python fish-slapping sketch.

OAquinas posted:

Technically he's just a reflection of his former self. :rimshot:
He just wasn't feeling himself that daynight at all. :downsrim:

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
We've seen one good example (two good examples?) of a Malk so far in this LP - both Therese and Jeanette were functional, normal-seeming and could hold conversations and get poo poo done, but their mental illness was still a massive handicap. A guideline I keep in mind for Malks is that their insanity is a facet of their personality, not the entirety of it.

As for playing your own, it's a lot easier to start with something basic - Brujah is easiest, in my experience, because it's generally expected they'll be toying with their pet causes for the first century or two of unlife.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Play Toreador and just go wander off to an art gallery and tell the rest of your players to piss off, you're busy.

yeah I haven't played TT ... probably for the best

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
Great LP, gatz, I like WOD and I'll be following this.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Olesh posted:

Anyway, the game has console commands in place to allow you to simulate the old WoD-style behavior of having potence and fortitude always being active, but at some point in development the powers themselves were made to adhere to the new WoD-style where potence and fortitude were activated abilities.

I know this is a really old post, but you wouldn't happen to be able to share these commands, would you?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Olesh posted:

Re: Tabletop differences - it actually took me quite a long time for me to realize that Potence and Fortitude were activated abilities in this game. In old world of darkness, Potence and Fortitude just worked - you had Potence, every physical check had an automatic success added to it.

...unless you were playing the GURPS version of Vampire, where everything was activated from the beginning.
http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/books/vampirethemasquerade/

GrimRevenant
Mar 28, 2011

Je Reviendrai.

PureRok posted:

I know this is a really old post, but you wouldn't happen to be able to share these commands, would you?
I JGIF’d, and the closest I can find are the following console* commands:
code:
vstats get automatic_str_successes x	Gives permanent +10 stats to MELEE and UNARMED abilities.
vstats get automatic_soak_successes x 	Gives permanent +10 stats to EACH SOAK abilities.
Presumably, just set this to the same as your Potence/Fortitude level when you level it, and then never activate those abilities. A bit clumsy, but seems workable.

✱ Standard Quake/Source console, launch the game with -console in the command line and use ~ to activate ingame.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku
OK, I will get an update posted on friday, saturday, or sunday. I swear. Sometime I feel guilty making you all wait.

Beer Hall Putz
Sep 10, 2005

Unpleasent snacking
You just completed the hotel, so everyone here is well used to it. :v:

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

We last left off as we were about to take a cab to downtown.

We have arrived.

We blew up a Sabbat warehouse back in Santa Monica.

And as Beckett said, we might have made someone a little...

...mad.

Let's drain it.

Let's stake it and leave it out for the sunrise.

We're going to have a lot of fun with this one.

Think you could blow up our warehouse and get away with it? Huh, Lick?

Haha, Let's pull out its eyes and its tongue and its teeth.

I want its teeth. Camarilla gently caress!

Boys, I think we could all use a little entertainment.

Those of you sitting in the first few rows will get wet.

Son of a bitch!

He turns to face his attacker...

It's Nines Rodriguez!

Leave.

There's three of us, Rodriguez.

Yeah.

Haha, Three of us.

Whaddya gonna do? Shoot us?

This ain't over!

He turns to Melissa...

We'll find you.

You too, Rodriguez.

You're both dead! Nobody messes with the Sabbat and lives.

Keep moving.

The three walk away...

Trouble sure seems to like you.

Good effort.

Execution needs a little work.

He turns back to Melissa...

You look like poo poo.

Getting hit upside the head with a bat will do that.

Thanks for the help.

Should've been more careful, newbie. This ain't the burbs.

I remember you from the courtroom.

I'll do that.

This is a mean existence. Stay out of trouble, kid.

Nines Rodriguez. Not much is known about him. Will we learn more?

citybeatnik posted:

I also really, really like the Sabbat's reaction to being shot in the head - to turn around and curse. Bullets are not really something that most vampires give much of a drat about, as they treat them as bashing for the most part (i.e., they halve damage after soak).

The Anarchs even have a game devoted to that - Nines. It's paintball but with real bullets! There's some difference in the rules - West Coast anarchs prefer using revolvers, East Coast prefer semi-automatic pistols, sometimes headshots are allowed and other times they're not.

There's also Sixty-Nines - so called because "no matter what, someone's getting hosed". It involves "playing" a game of Nines with someone that doesn't realize that they're playing it. This can range from a random mortal finding themselves in the middle of a "gang turf war" and having to defend themselves to taking potshots at someone important in the Tower.

An anarch PC of mine also had something he called "Carthage-rules Nines", named after the poo poo-hole of a city they had claimed and were defending from the Sabbat/Camarilla/Everyone Else. A common tactic involved having someone distract a Kindred in conversation while you snuck up and emptied a sawed off shotgun in the back of the target's head. Granted, this was the same guy that pioneered the game of Whack-a-Goth (driving by underground clubs and randomly hitting whoever was standing outside with a golf club swung from the window) because he reckoned he had a pretty good chance of it being a vampire, all things considered.

gatz fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Feb 17, 2014

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I love Nines, and I love this scene particularly. They did a really good job of making him out to be an all-around cheery, likeable sort of undead monster with this one scene. I mean sure he's the only one to call out the Camarilla bullshit for Camarilla bullshit and thereby saves your unlife, but this one I feel is a lot more effective. Possibly because it's longer? I dunno.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
I like Nines too but I feel this scene is a little Mary-Sue-ey. Also the third-wall breaking kind of annoys me for some reason because it never happens anywhere else.

Its me, I'm the one with no sense of humor who hates fun.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
Anyone else having trouble with Nines' dialogue? The Tindeck won't play and while the page itself calls it 43kb, it only downloads as a 0kb file.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku
I'm having the same problem, even after I tried uploading two different files. I hope it's just tindeck throwing a fit right now.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

insanityv2 posted:

Also the third-wall breaking kind of annoys me for some reason because it never happens anywhere else.

Fourth wall. :colbert:

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

insanityv2 posted:

I like Nines too but I feel this scene is a little Mary-Sue-ey. Also the third-wall breaking kind of annoys me for some reason because it never happens anywhere else.

Yes it does. We've already seen one earlier with the oracle chick. She said "Whether or not you win the game... matters not. It's if you bought it."

Fourth wall broken.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Shugojin posted:

I love Nines, and I love this scene particularly. They did a really good job of making him out to be an all-around cheery, likeable sort of undead monster with this one scene. I mean sure he's the only one to call out the Camarilla bullshit for Camarilla bullshit and thereby saves your unlife, but this one I feel is a lot more effective. Possibly because it's longer? I dunno.

What puzzled me and continues to puzzle me is that the Oracle doesn't identify him as someone that you can trust - unless the lone wolf comment was directed at him as opposed to Beckett.

I also really, really like the Sabbat's reaction to being shot in the head - to turn around and curse. Bullets are not really something that most vampires give much of a drat about, as they treat them as bashing for the most part (i.e., they halve damage after soak).

The Anarchs even have a game devoted to that - Nines. It's paintball but with real bullets! There's some difference in the rules - West Coast anarchs prefer using revolvers, East Coast prefer semi-automatic pistols, sometimes headshots are allowed and other times they're not.

There's also Sixty-Nines - so called because "no matter what, someone's getting hosed". It involves "playing" a game of Nines with someone that doesn't realize that they're playing it. This can range from a random mortal finding themselves in the middle of a "gang turf war" and having to defend themselves to taking potshots at someone important in the Tower.

An anarch PC of mine also had something he called "Carthage-rules Nines", named after the poo poo-hole of a city they had claimed and were defending from the Sabbat/Camarilla/Everyone Else. A common tactic involved having someone distract a Kindred in conversation while you snuck up and emptied a sawed off shotgun in the back of the target's head. Granted, this was the same guy that pioneered the game of Whack-a-Goth (driving by underground clubs and randomly hitting whoever was standing outside with a golf club swung from the window) because he reckoned he had a pretty good chance of it being a vampire, all things considered.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

The Sabbat has a ton of fun games like that, only more dangerous. Usually just to screw over mortals.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.
Bullets are treated as Bashing, for the most part (any damage left over after soak is halved), but headshots and shots that hit the heart are still considered Lethal, meaning the damage isn't halved and a sufficient amount can kill you.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Vicissitude posted:

The Sabbat has a ton of fun games like that, only more dangerous. Usually just to screw over mortals.
My main concern with the Sabbat as a whole is that it just takes itself just so god drat seriously about loving over mortals. There's a page from the Preacher comic book that comes to mind involving a bunch of klansmen talking about this one guy that just keeps going on and on about racist stuff and how annoying they find it - I'd link to it but, well, their dialogue is what you'd expect to find among a gathering of klansmen.

The Anarchs at least do it because it's funny.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

citybeatnik posted:

What puzzled me and continues to puzzle me is that the Oracle doesn't identify him as someone that you can trust - unless the lone wolf comment was directed at him as opposed to Beckett.

The thing about Nines is that he is actively trying to recruit you into the Anarchs. He may be more relatable, but he's as embroiled in LA's politics as every other major leader.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

Ah, good ol' Odin Quincannon. The Meatman! :v:

Sabbat also play games that are pack vs pack, and if mortals get in the way, well... You know. There's a good one where you and your pack get in a car that's then set on fire. Then you drive off into the night and try not to pussy out due to Rotschreck.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

These games are fascinating and I wish to learn more.

Although now I'm imagining these things as minigames, a la Dead Rising 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

insanityv2 posted:

Also the third-wall breaking kind of annoys me for some reason because it never happens anywhere else.

If you play a Malk the fourth wall is in tatters by this point. I always just figured that Sabbat was a Malkavian antitribu.

Have we covered that? Antitribu is a vampire that's a member of a different sect to the majority of their clan.

• Locked thread