Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

CzarChasm posted:

Well I have good news for you Mr. Bad Guy, the Righes don't exist. They never did. Because righes is a made up word.

How did that get past an editor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Mark Trail

Quincy

No, I don't know why he has a light-up radio.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

Mister Beeg posted:

Keith Knight drew this "Pluggers" parody:

These are fantastic. I didn't know anyone cared to acknowledge that Pluggers exists, let alone re-draw it.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

That's still a better reaction than the one Vitamin got when he asked his pal T. Bagg for the money.

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

Just another Saturday in the McEldowney household.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I cannot even put into words what is going on in Judge Parker.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

What's going on is Mark has a harpoon lodged in his arm.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Gil

The way to salvage your pride here is to adopt a anti-authoritarian bad boy persona who gives no fucks about lame things like school and grades.

Retail

Don't hang around the Valentine zone too long or people might start thinking you have a girlfriend or something.

Bleeker the Rechargeable Dog

What are you Bleeker, my surrogate nanny?

Dustin

Someone needs to do that to Steve Kelley.

On the Fastrack

You are a data security corporation. Upgrade your drat servers.

Heaven's Love Thrift Shop

How can he tell the exact kind of coffee it is just by looking at it?

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Midnight Moth posted:

Heaven's Love Thrift Shop

How can he tell the exact kind of coffee it is just by looking at it?
:3:

The cups look kind of like Starbucks, maybe they have the drink written on the side?

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mary Worth

"Let's tell the waiter to ask them to leave."

Rex Morgan, MD

Rex has a kind of Clint Eastwood thing going on in panel 3.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

EasyEW posted:

I was reading that second one as a little kid wearing hand-me-downs that are maybe a size or two too large for him, one of those poor family tropes from way back. The tip-off is that all of the kids' clothes are either too large or too small. The first one you mentioned could swing either way, because when a baby brother's gotta go, he's gotta go.

As the youngest of three, in my experience, too-large hand-me-downs are worn with a belt that wraps almost completely around the body. Old timey kids may have just used a rope.

Lio spits on the grave of Maurice Sendak.

And the Sunday strip lets us know that Rice Chex is on par with eating spiders.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

GorfZaplen posted:

Mandrake the Magician

:allears:

I can't believe how amusing that Mandrake plotline was for nothing happening.

'We may have been smoking the weed, Chief'

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

The Little King

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Everett True
March 20 & 21, 1918

The Sezza
Feb 18, 2007

don Jaime posted:

And the Sunday strip lets us know that Rice Chex is on par with eating spiders.

That slug-monster doesnt seem very happy to see its tiny counterparts being served up. Not cool, Lio. :colbert:

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Peanuts (February 5, 1967)

Is today's Funky Winkerbean about death's icy grip? No, it's about ice's icy grip. Death comes in through the back door, the way a family member does.

Send a probe to make sure Hell didn't freeze over, because Wimpy is actually doing work in today's Classic Popeye Sunday. (c. 1942)

Pogo: The expedition to the Sun, take two. (February 1, 1970)

First-Gen Blondie, in which Dagwood learns that the joy in suffering is passing it on to others. (c. 1941)

Out Our Way (May 14-15, 1924)

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Well, at least the plot's lightening up a bit.

Heavenly Nostrils is yesterday's.

9 Chickweed Lane 2/2/2003

A cat laying on your stomach can cause all that?

Zits

:ughh:

Uh, right.

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

Why would a wolf have claws like that. I'm pretty sure even rabbits have sharper claws than wolves.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Green Intern posted:

Also, wouldn't a box be a terrible sled?

Yes but a box is free and a real sled isn't.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Cul-de-sac

Petey, Our Mascot.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & Grimm

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Foxtrot

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

There's a reason I wrote this comic strip off a long time ago. When he's on, it's brilliant. When he isn't, it's so very tedious.

Still Fluxing
Feb 14, 2013

A vision. A picture in my head. A picture of this.

Stultus Maximus posted:

There's a reason I wrote this comic strip off a long time ago. When he's on, it's brilliant. When he isn't, it's so very tedious.

I'm pretty sure he made that exact same joke in the nineties. Only it went, dude with pants up to his waist, dude with saggy pants and *gasp* an ear-ring, and dude with pants around his ankles and a bone through his nose, because teens, amirite?

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moomin and the Wrath of Mymble

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

SubNat posted:

Moomin and the Wrath of Mymble

That last panel. YOU'VE GONE AND hosed UP THIS TIME, EDWARD!

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Momma

Wee Pals

Andertoons

Four Eyes

Arlo and Janis

Lost Side of Suburbia

Zachary Nixon Johnson

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

An accurate line graph in the background to display how much of a fool these gentlemen look.

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Quincy

No, I don't know why he has a light-up radio.

http://www.jackbergsales.com/electronics/windsor2104.htm

Because they exist and I want one.

Mr. Noseybonk
Jul 17, 2012

Wanamingo posted:

Lost Side of Suburbia

This is really starting to grow on me and I'm not sure why.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Wasn't expecting Keroro when opening this thread today.

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

This is a great addition to the thread.

RE: Mad magazine strips: What if someone [not me] put together a comic mag thread, for Mad, Viz, Cracked, Beano, etc?

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Still no word on what the future of "Wee Pals" is. However, here's something I found in the LA Times obit:

Los Angeles Times posted:

Still, he kept drawing his gently humorous "Wee Pals," a seven-day-a-week tribute to tolerance, until the end of his life. He was several months ahead when he died, Eagan said.

So, at the very least, the strip will continue uninterrupted for few more months.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Mister Beeg posted:

Still no word on what the future of "Wee Pals" is. However, here's something I found in the LA Times obit:

So, at the very least, the strip will continue uninterrupted for few more months.

So let's see... Wee Pals launched on February 15, 1965, so that's more than 49 years of strips.

Wow.

He mentioned on his Facebook page that he was also working on an illustrated autobiography. I hope he got close to being finished and that it will come out at some point.

Bay Area goons, his family is making his Feb 9 memorial service open, bless their hearts. Wish I was on the correct coast.

http://www.insidebayarea.com/breaking-news/ci_25027552/morrie-turner-memorial-services-wee-pals-creator-announced

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Heathcliff

The Phantom

Pickles

Sunday Rip Haywire

Classic Prince Valiant

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

GorfZaplen posted:

The Phantom

I feel like that scene from Austin Powers where Scott is all " Look, I can pop up to my room, grab my gun BOOM He's dead" is appropriate here.

Fake edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xAMYHJYesM Here we are.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Pros & Cons

Sally Forth

The Amazing Spider-Man

Prince Valiant

#1 It's great that after all these years the Geezer Brigade hasn't demanded they soften up Prince Valiant like they have practically every other oldschool Newspaper strip that's still around. It's still as hardcore as ever.
#2 Singing Sword cameo!

Juliet Jones

#1 Really professional, Doc, insisting on calling your patient who's anxious about his height "Shorty"
#2 Probably a bad idea to buy your footwear from the Joker. :ohdear:

Phantom Classic

Awww. He's not evil, just crafty. :3:

Ok, well maybe a little evil. It's too bad Etsy and Pinterest didn't exist back then because they really could have turned this Moogoo guy around.

Big Ben Bolt

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Mister Beeg posted:

We might want to prepare for the eventuality that the strip ends with Morrie. Can you imagine any other way forward?

Skippy (October 28-30, 1926)

Appropriately for Puppy Bowl Sunday, we have a football game called on account of dogs.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Sergio Aragones (selections from "A Mad Look at Prison Life"; Mad #143, December 1991)

Don Martin Dept. (Mad #91, Dec. 1964)

Thorn (February 3 and 7, 1984)

Lucky Cow (April 15-17, 2004)

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

It would have been easier to go to Rex Morgan's waiting room. His patients are also nowhere to be found.

9 Chickweed Lane

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

GorfZaplen posted:

Mandrake the Magician

:allears:
Whaaaaaaaaaaat.

I want this Mandrake story arc in the Smithsonian.
:golfclap:

Hoover Dam posted:

RE: Mad magazine strips: What if someone [not me] put together a comic mag thread, for Mad, Viz, Cracked, Beano, etc?
A thread for exploring comic strips published in magazines would probably lead to some interesting discoveries. I wonder how many cartoonists did stints for Playboy?
Now you've got me curious about 50% More Absorbent Comix.

Sunday Funnies
Bloom County

"12:40 a.m.. Clear sky. 72°. The moon's third quadrant is visible.
...as are the ice particles on Saturn's inner rings. —Simply fabulous!
Erupting hydrogen geysers are clearly visible on Cygnus Four's third planet while its sister star appears to be collapsing upon itself!..
Focusing deeper, beta explosions can be seen near the Aurorus Galaxy, while Romulian attack ships are burning and adrift off the great ion fields of Sirius Six!!
.. and there!! a black hole is clearly drawing off stellar material from Alpha Seven! A fantastic cosmic whirlpool sucking the nearby planets into an unimaginable maelstrom of frozen time, twisted reality and unexplored dimensions!!
Meanwhile, Edna-Mae Fernbugle is still picking her toes and watching 'Dick Clark's Celebrity Bloopers.'"

Calvin And Hobbes

Cheap Thrills Cuisine

Darthemed fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Feb 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
Your Sunday bowl of Noodles. (Extra helping since I didn't post any last Sunday.)

Nov 13, 2005

Nov 20, 2005

Nov 27, 2005

There was an outbreak of H5N1 in 2005 with both avian and human cases, many in China, Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand. Since transmission via migratory birds had already been confirmed, there was a lot of concern about the possibility of a pandemic. I remember people wearing surgical masks that summer. Regardless, I would totally use a big hamster ball to play in my back yard if I could.

Dec 18, 2005

First recorded use of porridge as a verb.

Dec 25, 2005

Proving that regifting apparently translates. Also that the character's mom is a Cheesehead.

TofuDiva fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Feb 3, 2014

• Locked thread