Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

The Question IRL posted:

What's the alternative?

Nick Fury: Okay Steve, I know you are feeling depressed and potentially tramatized at how everyone you know is dead and you've been going from fight to super powered fight in a war like scenario non-stop for years. And the entire cultural landscape has moved past you to such an extent that everything about this world seems strange and unfamiliar to you and you have a major sense of disconnection. But I really think you are going to love The Wire.

The scene is Steve getting a crash course in the past 60 years of world culture. The alternative to deciding what's included by internet poll would be deciding what's included based on the movie. Movies have themes an characters, and this is a chance to explore those things. What is selected for Steve as important, and how does he respond to it? Is the culture portrayed as evolving? Decaying? Staying the same, just with a different coat of paint? What does Steve like out of the past 60 years, and how do others react to his taste?

To intercept the response I am sure to get, yes I know that there will be some of that in the scene. But having an internet poll decide what show gets added in post to a shot where Steve is looking at a TV makes that shot pointless, except as a little nerd reference, and weakens whatever the overall goals of that scene are.

Eh, gently caress it, let's just do an internet poll. I hope My Little Pony wins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

boom boom boom posted:

The scene is Steve getting a crash course in the past 60 years of world culture. The alternative to deciding what's included by internet poll would be deciding what's included based on the movie. Movies have themes an characters, and this is a chance to explore those things. What is selected for Steve as important, and how does he respond to it? Is the culture portrayed as evolving? Decaying? Staying the same, just with a different coat of paint? What does Steve like out of the past 60 years, and how do others react to his taste?

To intercept the response I am sure to get, yes I know that there will be some of that in the scene. But having an internet poll decide what show gets added in post to a shot where Steve is looking at a TV makes that shot pointless, except as a little nerd reference, and weakens whatever the overall goals of that scene are.

Eh, gently caress it, let's just do an internet poll. I hope My Little Pony wins.

I'm assuming that you didn't read the link supplied, so I'll briefly summarize it.

1) It's supposed to be a British TV show and one from a very specific list, so it's not a write in selection. (So if you are worried about some kind of 4Chan esc spoilling of an open poll, it's not going to happen.) This itself is probably part of a localization deal to get other markets involved for the film, and it makes sense. Cap spent a lot of time in London during the war. It makes sense that he'd have an affinity for English culture having spent so long there.)

2) The show is one that appears on a list of things that Steve Rogers makes of things he needs to do.
The list, and the choice of show, is designed to indicate something that Cap wants to do in his spare time. Without having seen it, I'm guessing that it's supposed to be a look at the man, Steve Rogers, who has lost out on so much. It's supposed to be a glimpse at how he likes his disposable, harmless entertainment.

This isn't supposed to be a scene where Steve watches some deep insightful drama like Roots and ponders the huge amount of changes that have occurred in Race Relations and an examination of the uncomfortable things of America's past.
It's supposed to say "in his spare time, Steve Rogers wants to watch John Cleese not mention the war, or Dermot Morgan kick a bishop up the arse."

And that's the sort of connection with the average person that this film needs, and is best served with a bit of help from an online poll. It adds a sense of verisimilitude to the proceedings, that you don't get by having some Hollywood writer decide on his own what should be on the list.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
As long as Steve's reaction to Doctor Who is "I don't get it" I'm cool.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Can it be Keeping Up Appearances? I want Haysinth appearance.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Not really surprising but Singer has said that X-Men: Apocalypse won't have any of the original trilogy cast in it and that dumb rumour of Apocalypse being an alien that possess Magneto wasn't true.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

boom boom boom posted:

Oh god, an internet poll was such a terrible loving idea

"OK, you're a World War 2 hero super soldier superhero who just saved the world from Norwegian Hitler. Now watch this lovely children's program for adult nerds"

You'd better not be be talking about Doctor Who there, because otherwise you and I are enemies now.

I put in a vote for Downton Abbey (Along with Doctor Who and Fawlty Towers), because I could see Tony or Happy actually mentioning it and Steve deciding to see what the fuss was about. And Doctor Who because Tony and Bruce would likely do the same thing for that show. Steve was probably the kind of guy who liked sci-fi serials back in the day anyway (and if he worked from the 60s era, he'd have a handy transition through the evolution of TV making). I'd love to see him react to the glorious madness of the Flash Gordon movie.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

The movie will probably end with a new timeline being created so they can introduce young versions of characters from the original cast and recast Cyclops, Jean, Storm, etc. Might be a good way to re-introduce Angel as well so they can do Archangel.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm starting to warm back up to DOFP. Thank Apocolypse that rumored teaser wasn't true. Things are slightly starting to look up for the Fox super hero films.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Dacap posted:

The movie will probably end with a new timeline being created so they can introduce young versions of characters from the original cast and recast Cyclops, Jean, Storm, etc. Might be a good way to re-introduce Angel as well so they can do Archangel.

Yeah, it probably just a cheap way to keep running with the FC group and still have Wolverine movies

AndyP
Nov 7, 2011

The Question IRL posted:

What's the alternative?

Nick Fury: Okay Steve, I know you are feeling depressed and potentially tramatized at how everyone you know is dead and you've been going from fight to super powered fight in a war like scenario non-stop for years. And the entire cultural landscape has moved past you to such an extent that everything about this world seems strange and unfamiliar to you and you have a major sense of disconnection. But I really think you are going to love The Wire.

I think he'd like Sleepy Hollow

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

AndyP posted:

I think he'd like Sleepy Hollow

Now I really want a Captain America series where he fights HYDRA and AIM while trying to adjust to modern life.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

cptn_dr posted:

Then tell him that's how it really happened.

Though that's getting into fanfic territory, which no one should ever do.

Don't worry, Tumblr already has you covered.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Meh, Hawkeye wasn't doing anything that weekend anyway.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Gaz-L posted:

Meh, Hawkeye wasn't doing anything that weekend anyway.

Yeah, he was just gonna label his trick arrows anyway.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

The Question IRL posted:

I'm assuming that you didn't read the link supplied, so I'll briefly summarize it.

1) It's supposed to be a British TV show and one from a very specific list, so it's not a write in selection. (So if you are worried about some kind of 4Chan esc spoilling of an open poll, it's not going to happen.) This itself is probably part of a localization deal to get other markets involved for the film, and it makes sense. Cap spent a lot of time in London during the war. It makes sense that he'd have an affinity for English culture having spent so long there.)

2) The show is one that appears on a list of things that Steve Rogers makes of things he needs to do.
The list, and the choice of show, is designed to indicate something that Cap wants to do in his spare time. Without having seen it, I'm guessing that it's supposed to be a look at the man, Steve Rogers, who has lost out on so much. It's supposed to be a glimpse at how he likes his disposable, harmless entertainment.

This isn't supposed to be a scene where Steve watches some deep insightful drama like Roots and ponders the huge amount of changes that have occurred in Race Relations and an examination of the uncomfortable things of America's past.
It's supposed to say "in his spare time, Steve Rogers wants to watch John Cleese not mention the war, or Dermot Morgan kick a bishop up the arse."

It's not a glimpse at what Steve Rogers likes, it's an internet poll, it's a glimpse of what awful internet fandom is most motivated. It reveals nothing about his character. It's functionally the same as if the director and writer had died in post and all their notes had been lost and the producers had decided to pick what to paste onto the spray painted green screen of the television Steve Rogers had been looking at by picking names of TV shows out of a hat.

quote:

And that's the sort of connection with the average person that this film needs, and is best served with a bit of help from an online poll.

Jesus gently caress no. I don't give a poo poo if Captain America likes JoJo's Bizarre Adventure as much as I do. I care about what Captain America represents, and how Steve Rogers the man deals with being a symbol of good in a cynical time, or losing his family and everyone he cares about, or fighting evil, or anything that actually matters and makes for a good story and an interesting character.

quote:

It adds a sense of verisimilitude to the proceedings, that you don't get by having some Hollywood writer decide on his own what should be on the list.

Dude, I don't want to blow your mind here, but literally everything else about Steve Rogers was decided by some Hollywood writer. The words he says, the things he does, when and why he punches people. The whole movie was made by some Hollywood people. This internet poll was dreamed up by some Hollywood dude, probably to make stupid people feel like they have some investment in the movie.

Yvonmukluk posted:

You'd better not be be talking about Doctor Who there, because otherwise you and I are enemies now.

Doctor Who is not a good television show.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 60 minutes!

boom boom boom posted:

It's a decent tv show with the second worst fanbase.

Though I agree with other things you've sad. I'm trying to figure out how to put it into words, but Cap is not the jingoistic icon which he looks, he's always been to mean as representing the idea of America, the pure idea that you could be truely free and work together to create something great. Not the political and economic entity that is the united states. From the trailer, it sure as hell looks like these themes will be tackled in Cap 2, as it looks like he's going to go up against a SHIELD that is acting more as a unilateral force for America's interests than anything else, and by America's intrests, the whole "we will stop a problem before it happens...or before someone can think of it by bombing the poo poo out of it".

Actually, I'd not be surprised if Fury gets taken out early on in the film, and the shadow council puts Redfords character in charge because he fits with their ideas that SHIELD should serve the interests of the elites than anything else. The battle over Washington is part of a coup where SHIELD attempts to take over the goverment because of a imagined weakness.

"Asgard is a monarchy and its people are yearning to be free, the US MIltiary needs to remove Odin from power and secure its rich sources of Uru metal for America's security! We'll be greeted as liberators!"

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Mark Waid already established Cap as a Radiohead fan that is enough for me.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

twistedmentat posted:

Actually, I'd not be surprised if Fury gets taken out early on in the film, and the shadow council puts Redfords character in charge because he fits with their ideas that SHIELD should serve the interests of the elites than anything else. The battle over Washington is part of a coup where SHIELD attempts to take over the goverment because of a imagined weakness.

"Asgard is a monarchy and its people are yearning to be free, the US MIltiary needs to remove Odin from power and secure its rich sources of Uru metal for America's security! We'll be greeted as liberators!"

The Shadow Council tried to nuke NYC, which is probably something Fury reminds them of every time they try to cut his budget. That's enough of a reason to take him out of the picture in a way that doesn't involve him quietly retiring to write his memoirs.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

boom boom boom posted:

It's not a glimpse at what Steve Rogers likes, it's an internet poll, it's a glimpse of what awful internet fandom is most motivated. It reveals nothing about his character. It's functionally the same as if the director and writer had died in post and all their notes had been lost and the producers had decided to pick what to paste onto the spray painted green screen of the television Steve Rogers had been looking at by picking names of TV shows out of a hat.

Jesus gently caress no. I don't give a poo poo if Captain America likes JoJo's Bizarre Adventure as much as I do. I care about what Captain America represents, and how Steve Rogers the man deals with being a symbol of good in a cynical time, or losing his family and everyone he cares about, or fighting evil, or anything that actually matters and makes for a good story and an interesting character.

Dude, I don't want to blow your mind here, but literally everything else about Steve Rogers was decided by some Hollywood writer. The words he says, the things he does, when and why he punches people. The whole movie was made by some Hollywood people. This internet poll was dreamed up by some Hollywood dude, probably to make stupid people feel like they have some investment in the movie.

You're welcome to your opinion and all, but you care far too much.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

twistedmentat posted:

The shot in the trailer of Fury in a hospital bed being prepped for surgery while Cap and Black Widow look on kinda' makes me hope they get rid of Jackson's Fury. He's cool and all, but he's kind of superfluous at this point and he's really messing up the story they're trying to tell with S.H.I.E.L.D. in these films.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
How's he messing up the story?

I think they confirmed he has an extended guest spot on AoS after this so I don't think they're getting rid of him. Although it might be the tie in episode to this movie.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I hope he dies in Cap 2 then shows up in AoS and they introduce a big mystery of how he's alive.

Also to the long post about how an internet poll will surely ruin the movie when Marvel ends up obliged to show My Little Pony, take a few chill pills dude. It'll be an 8-second gag where some old show is mentioned.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
They really just need to sit Cap down with Ennis's full run on Punisher MAX and say, "Steve, while you were frozen, this kinda happened."

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
Hahaha anyone who thinks that this is going to be more than Happy watching Downton Abbey in Iron Man 3 is a goddamn moron.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

It's a decent tv show with the second worst fanbase.

What show has the worst fanbase?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

My Little Pony most likely.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Shows with terrible fanbases: Doctor Who, Community, Arrested Development, My Little Pony.

I almost don't even want to count that last one since it is a children's show and therefore no adult would ever watch it, right?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
So's the first one, yet here we are.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Yeah man TV shows have such lovely fanbases.

*goes back to reading comics blogs*

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

greatn posted:

How's he messing up the story?

They keep trying to portray him as this wishy-washy benevolent face of the secret, authoritarian society who's also an idealist, but he's a pragmatist too and then he's lying and now he's not and

They seem really afraid to alienate any part of the audience that likes Nick Fury so they constantly have him jump through these mental, and moral gymnastic exercises to justify why the character isn't as much of a piece of poo poo as he seems to be and it really spoils the tension between The Avengers and S.H.I.E.L.D. and the World Security Council.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Dan Didio posted:

They keep trying to portray him as this wishy-washy benevolent face of the secret, authoritarian society who's also an idealist, but he's a pragmatist too and then he's lying and now he's not and

They seem really afraid to alienate any part of the audience that likes Nick Fury so they constantly have him jump through these mental, and moral gymnastic exercises to justify why the character isn't as much of a piece of poo poo as he seems to be and it really spoils the tension between The Avengers and S.H.I.E.L.D. and the World Security Council.

I don't really think that they are portraying him as wishy-washy. He's shown a slightly lighter side in the post-credits Avengers scene he was in but he's always struck me as being very pragmatic. He lies when he needs to but figures that it might not always be the smartest thing to do with people that can do the sort of damage the Avengers can do. What I want to know is how they'll react if they find out Coulson is back. Now -that- would be a lie that it'd be neat to see come home to roost.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Sion posted:

Yeah man TV shows have such lovely fanbases.

*goes back to reading comics blogs*

Amen.

Also anyone who likes superhero comics-- read: everyone here-- has no business talking smack about Doctor Who. It's got its problems, oh lord oh lord does it have its problems that aren't related to the fanbase at all, but it's not nearly so poo poo that superhero nerds get a blank check to talk smack about it.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Actually, it is.

Sion posted:

I don't really think that they are portraying him as wishy-washy.

He absolutely is a confusing element that doesn't fit with the contrast between the Avengers idealism and 'old-fashioned notions' and the Security Council's bleak, modern, nuclear arms race pragmatism.

He does horrible, pragmatic, morally indefensible things, operates under the same banner as the Security Council and then turns around and champions the common man and decries the methods his organization uses, all while completely undermining the Avengers central ideal and key moment. From everything we've seen of Winter Soldier, they haven't changed this at all.

If all they're going to do is continue to confound and operate under some sub-South Park level 'the answer lies in the middle maybe???' type shenanigans then they might as well either get rid of him, or have him take on a more clearly antagonistic role to contrast with the Avengers.

They need to break away from S.H.I.E.L.D. at some point, Jackson's Fury is pretty much just treading water until that happens, they find a stronger narrative for him, or he dies.

Shirkelton fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Feb 2, 2014

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Sion posted:

I don't really think that they are portraying him as wishy-washy. He's shown a slightly lighter side in the post-credits Avengers scene he was in but he's always struck me as being very pragmatic. He lies when he needs to but figures that it might not always be the smartest thing to do with people that can do the sort of damage the Avengers can do. What I want to know is how they'll react if they find out Coulson is back. Now -that- would be a lie that it'd be neat to see come home to roost.

Technically that wasn't a lie. Coulson was dead all through the end of Avengers and wasn't brought back to life until several days later. So Nick Fury using his death to push them wasn't a "he's in surgery right now, this is a lie". He was actually dead.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Electromax posted:

I hope he dies in Cap 2 then shows up in AoS and they introduce a big mystery of how he's alive.

This is a pretty big plot point of the SHIELD TV show. Coulson is back and they're being mysterious on the reason why. Or they were, I stopped watching the show after about 10 episodes of boredom.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

IUG posted:

This is a pretty big plot point of the SHIELD TV show. Coulson is back and they're being mysterious on the reason why. Or they were, I stopped watching the show after about 10 episodes of boredom.

They answered he's back because "Fury moved Heaven and Earth" and apparently the big secret they were hiding from him was his surgery was painful so they implanted a vacation memory in there. This is apparently enough of an answer for everyone in universe.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Ah, that's somehow even more lame than "life model decoy". Glad I wrote that show off, doesn't seem to be doing anything interesting.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

IUG posted:

Ah, that's somehow even more lame than "life model decoy". Glad I wrote that show off, doesn't seem to be doing anything interesting.

Agreed.

If it was "Move Heaven and Earth" meaning Thor took a band of Gods and fought for the soul of Coulson it might have at least been fun.

Or poo poo, at least have Fury go to Hercules and he takes a band of merry warriors for that type of stuff, possibly 3. Get your B and C Listers in there.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Gatts posted:

Or poo poo, at least have Fury go to Hercules and he takes a band of merry warriors for that type of stuff, possibly 3. Get your B and C Listers in there.

Aside from Graviton and Lorieli (in some upcoming episode), the show seems mandated to never EVER under penalty of cancellation EVER use anything from the Marvel universe that isn't referencing a movie that already came out. It's not the core reason why the show is garbage, but it really doesn't help. At least if it was using a bunch of known Marvel characters it could coast by on fanboy wanks like Arrow does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

Aside from Graviton and Lorieli

I don't even know who these characters are, or what series they could be from. That's pretty Z-List right there.

• Locked thread