Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Unjustly Labeled posted:

Hmmm, I'd never heard of Swans before this. Really interesting hearing their album Filth actually, since it sounds like the stepping stone between King Crimson and one of my favourite bands of all time, Idiot Flesh. I dunno, I might be way of the mark with that one...

I think Cop's a stronger album, but both are pretty good, but nothing much like King Crimson or Idiot Flesh. Cardiacs is a lot closer to that sound.

Unjustly Labeled posted:

Godflesh I've heard before, but I never really got into them. Any recommendations for where I should start in their discography?

Pure/Streetcleaner/Merciless EP

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jan 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unjustly Labeled
Oct 11, 2012

Henchman of Santa posted:

Streetcleaner.

Also it's weird to see a fan of heavy music that has never even heard of Swans.

Huh, well the bands that got me into doom/sludge/post stuff was stuff like Cult of Luna, Isis and YOB. So most of my knowledge of this stuff begins around the early 2000s.

I started with checking out streetcleaner for now. So far I'm surprised that a release from 1989 can sound so heavy even by todays standards. Really digging it so far!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Yeah that album still crushes. One of the few albums I can think of where a drum machine is actually a highlight--particularly on Christbait Rising.

Unjustly Labeled
Oct 11, 2012

Darthemed posted:

Slavestate is a good follow-up to Streetcleaner. Just avoid Hymns.

Oh, this explains so much! I just looked at the track list for Hymns, and that is the only album I'd heard of them before. If the general consensus is to stay away from that one, it explains why Godflesh left me with a "eeh, not for me" feeling last time I tried to get into them.

Yeah that album still crushes. One of the few albums I can think of where a drum machine is actually a highlight--particularly on Christbait Rising.

I think some grindcore bands still use drum machines in cool ways, like Agoraphobic Nosebleed. But that's pretty much the only band I can think of that still use them (and use them well).

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

I just wanted to thank you for prompting the Godflesh discussion; I haven't listened to Streetcleaner in years and this is just as great as I remembered. And definitely listen to more Swans. It's not all that heavy, but very little of their stuff is boring.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Juaguocio posted:

You'd probably like Harsh Toke. Earthless were definitely a major influence on them, and I believe they've played a few shows together.

No probably about it; this is what I'm talking about. Thanks for the rec!

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Unjustly Labeled posted:

Oh, this explains so much! I just looked at the track list for Hymns, and that is the only album I'd heard of them before. If the general consensus is to stay away from that one, it explains why Godflesh left me with a "eeh, not for me" feeling last time I tried to get into them.

Hymns isn't terrible. A few songs are lame but it does have some good tracks, and Ted Parsons is an interesting drummer- dude was in Swans and Prong before Godflesh. The last half of the album definitely points to where Justin Broadrick was headed with Jesu though.

A really interesting one-off Broadrick did was a split with Andy Hawkins from Blind Idiot God as part of a series from a Dutch electronic label called Skinner's Black Laboratories. It's ambient guitar loops but way better than that description makes it sound like.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I'm looking for bands that blend doomy-sludgy bass and drums with reverb-y shoegaze guitar and vocals - kind of like if Alcest used doom as a foundation instead of black. Can anyone recommend a band like this, or something similar?

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Feb 1, 2014

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

sticklefifer posted:

I'm looking for bands that blend doomy-sludgy bass and drums with reverb-y shoegaze guitar and vocals - kind of like if Alcest used doom as a foundation instead of black. Can anyone recommend a band like this, or something similar?

Old Witch is the first band that came to mind

http://oldwitch.bandcamp.com/

Robophile
Apr 20, 2003

We know a remote farm in Lincolnshire, where Mrs. Buckley lives.

sticklefifer posted:

Maybe try The Angelic Process?

http://profoundlorerecords.bandcamp.com/album/weighing-souls-with-sand

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The first awesome stoner album of the year is probably Ethereal Riffian's debut full-length, "Aeonian." Sort of like Om but with monster riffs. Best only Ukrainian band I've ever heard.

http://etherealriffian.bandcamp.com/

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Bandcamp really is the best thing. I love buying music through them.

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

Best only Ukrainian band I've ever heard.

Stoned Jesus is Ukrainian, and pretty good. http://stonedjesus.bandcamp.com/

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
Since Swans and Godflesh came up, it's worth pointing out that JK Broadrick (Godflesh, Jesu, Napalm Death) did an album with Jarboe (Swans)'J2'

It was an album that sounds like what the two of them would sound like together. I liked it.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

nerve posted:

Old Witch is the first band that came to mind

http://oldwitch.bandcamp.com/

Not really what I meant in terms of vocals, but I like their sound anyway, so thanks!

THIS is closer to what I'm talking about. Like a 50/50 fusion of dreamy and doom. Really digging this.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

sticklefifer posted:

Not really what I meant in terms of vocals, but I like their sound anyway, so thanks!

THIS is closer to what I'm talking about. Like a 50/50 fusion of dreamy and doom. Really digging this.

If you like The Angelic Process you need to look into Jesu.

Also, Skepticism's first album gives me similar vibes to TAP in terms of the guitar tone and (somewhat) in the vocals.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw11sJCwGqI

Robophile
Apr 20, 2003

We know a remote farm in Lincolnshire, where Mrs. Buckley lives.

The first awesome stoner album of the year is probably Ethereal Riffian's debut full-length, "Aeonian." Sort of like Om but with monster riffs. Best only Ukrainian band I've ever heard.

http://etherealriffian.bandcamp.com/

This is really, really good. I'm not really feeling the OM connection, except maybe in the vocals a bit, but it's great on its own terms.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
It's mostly the vocals and general psychedelic feel.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
I hear a lot of Om in the first track. The bass player has definitely studied the Butlerian school.

Good stuff! Probably the best release from a band with "Riff" in its name.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Unjustly Labeled posted:

So far I'm surprised that a release from 1989 can sound so heavy even by todays standards.

You should listen to Neurosis then. Almost nothing in this thread would exist without them. Their first two albums are so far ahead of their time it's mindblowing.

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

Morbid Florist posted:

You should listen to Neurosis then. Almost nothing in this thread would exist without them. Their first two albums are so far ahead of their time it's mindblowing.

Uhh don't you mean their third, fourth and fifth albums? Pain of Mind and The Word as Law weren't exactly groundbreaking stuff

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

m-o-o-n posted:

Uhh don't you mean their third, fourth and fifth albums? Pain of Mind and The Word as Law weren't exactly groundbreaking stuff

Uhh no I don't. Obviously their 90s poo poo bears more resemblance to the 20 years of clones they inspired, but if you don't hear the future to come in those first two I don't know what to say. The sound we'd call Neurosis didn't just fall out of the sky, everything starts somewhere and those were some pretty original sounds for the 80s. It may have taken Souls at Zero for distillation of what they played around with earlier, giving Isis a career, but clearly Tool was listening to them before that.

Pain of Mind maybe not SO much, but Word as Law has everything they were going to run with from Souls onward.

Unjustly Labeled
Oct 11, 2012

Morbid Florist posted:

Oh dear. Bands like Neurosis are exactly what scares me off from listening to bands predating the 90s. I cannot for the life of me figure out what's appealing with their music. Maybe I just don't like traditional doom (or whatever they are)?

I think Godflesh with Streetcleaner struck a chord with me because it doesn't sound like something that could possibly exist in the late 80s/early 90s, while Neurosis just sounds like the most boring parts of what I've been listening to for over 10 years already, mixed with remnants of 80s songwriting and sounds.

I guess it's become a matter of "respect your elders" at this point, but is that really ringing endorsement for a band? For me it means nothing that they were first, or the impact they had on other bands, since even if they never existed, someone else would've eventually become that role model anyways.

Edit:
Oh gently caress, that sounded way too confrontational. Sorry, that wasn't my intention...

Unjustly Labeled fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Feb 3, 2014

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I'll save you!
I've always had a hard time getting into Neurosis as well. When I was younger and I was more into death metal/grindcore I always heard about Neurosis and saw the cool dudes wearing their shirts but I could never get it to click for me, nor did I care to much because it wasn't OMG fast! Since I've gotten older and learned that I loved doomy stuff I tried my hand at getting into Neurosis again and I'm still having trouble. I think my main major hang up is Scott Kelly's vocals. I dig the music but the vocals kind of turn me off. I've listened to Souls at Zero, Through Silver and Blood and Enemy of the Sun. Is there another album I should start over with?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Unjustly Labeled posted:

Oh dear. Bands like Neurosis are exactly what scares me off from listening to bands predating the 90s. I cannot for the life of me figure out what's appealing with their music. Maybe I just don't like traditional doom (or whatever they are)?

I think Godflesh with Streetcleaner struck a chord with me because it doesn't sound like something that could possibly exist in the late 80s/early 90s, while Neurosis just sounds like the most boring parts of what I've been listening to for over 10 years already, mixed with remnants of 80s songwriting and sounds.

I guess it's become a matter of "respect your elders" at this point, but is that really ringing endorsement for a band? For me it means nothing that they were first, or the impact they had on other bands, since even if they never existed, someone else would've eventually become that role model anyways.

Edit:
Oh gently caress, that sounded way too confrontational. Sorry, that wasn't my intention...

You're killin' me. But it's a matter of opinion. Anyway, traditional doom is far from what Neurosis is--they're more credited with starting "atmospheric sludge" (or post-metal. They're both awful names but I prefer the first one). Traditional doom would be Black Sabbath, Candlemass, Trouble, Pentagram, etc.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Neurosis is great but they sound awful and if you don't understand what i mean that's ok

Unjustly Labeled
Oct 11, 2012

You're killin' me. But it's a matter of opinion. Anyway, traditional doom is far from what Neurosis is--they're more credited with starting "atmospheric sludge" (or post-metal. They're both awful names but I prefer the first one). Traditional doom would be Black Sabbath, Candlemass, Trouble, Pentagram, etc.

If that's primary draw of Neurosis, then I'd say their atmosphere just doesn't grab me. Thanks! Now I've got an easy way to explain why this kind of music is very hit and miss for me!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I have trouble understanding how someone can listen to Through Silver in Blood and not be sucked into the demented hellscape that Neurosis creates and then come out thinking it's the most awesome thing they've ever heard, but oh well.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
I dislike Neurosis' music and stoner/doom/sludge is maybe my favorite genre of metal. It's cool they had a big impact but that doesn't mean I have to like them, nah mean.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I prefer Scott Kelly's other stuff, like the Shrinebuilder album and his features On Mastodon tracks

Unjustly Labeled
Oct 11, 2012

I have trouble understanding how someone can listen to Through Silver in Blood and not be sucked into the demented hellscape that Neurosis creates and then come out thinking it's the most awesome thing they've ever heard, but oh well.

Oh, I can explain that with a single track: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DN6Uv-C6wU&list=PL271E848E6E6C1687

If Through Silver in Blood is a hellscape, then we need a new word for that Blut Aus Nord track.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
See, I'm not much of a fan of black metal when it attempts to go for atmosphere over anything else. Usually just leaves me bored. I prefer the riffier side of that genre--Infernal War, Immortal, Inquistion, Dissection, etc.

Unjustly Labeled
Oct 11, 2012

See, I'm not much of a fan of black metal when it attempts to go for atmosphere over anything else. Usually just leaves me bored. I prefer the riffier side of that genre--Infernal War, Immortal, Inquistion, Dissection, etc.

Well now we're figuring out where our opinions differ! I prefer when black metal is atmospheric and prefer riff based doom! :dance:

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
Blut loving own because of how much effort they put into making intricate soundscapes. The Work Which Transforms God is an amazing album mostly because there's just so much layered sampling going on on top of the crazy guitar tone manipulations (seriously, listen to Our Blessed Frozen Cells or Procession of the Dead Clowns) and bizarre guitar work. There's a ton of tonal intricacy even if it isn't being carried entirely by the guitars. I think I tend to like metal which doesn't treat the guitars as the main melodic instrument, though, so take my endorsement with a grain of salt :v:

Morbid Florist posted:

It may have taken Souls at Zero for distillation of what they played around with earlier, giving Isis a career, but clearly Tool was listening to them before that.

I'm not entirely comfortable with calling Isis a straight Neurosis clone, honestly. Celestial and their earlier EPs have a good deal of sludgy, dirge-like riffing going on, and they are heavily indebted to Neurosis for that alone, but they diverged at around the release of Oceanic. Isis went in a very post-rock direction, using sparse drumming and a ton of electronic ambience (it's telling that they had Tim Hecker and Fennesz remix tracks from Oceanic) while Neurosis took a very different approach to guitar work and drumming, with those tribal rhythms and toms everyone talks about. Turner also started using more clean vocals around that period.

Really, I think very few bands in the "post-metal" scene are straight Neurosis clones. I'd be more willing to apply that term to Generation of Vipers or A Storm of Light or something.

Gamma Nerd fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Feb 3, 2014

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
Stumbled across Colour Haze while looking for more stuff in the Earthless vein. Goddamn!!! :stare:

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice
Don't forget Samsara Blues Experiment.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Perhaps the biggest draw to Neurosis back in the day was seeing them live. Youtube has a few old lovely recordings of them from the 90s that might give you an idea of their show if you can fill in some gaps in your mind. Imagine a totally dark club, a huge screen with hosed up imagery timed perfectly to the rhythm of each song, the entire band breaking into drums as loud as hell. You can't see what the band is doing for the most part but you can half make out shadows, and a WALL of bass heavy sound. They don't talk on stage, they just march out and assault you with sound and sight, and walk off.

We hadn't seen poo poo like that before and once you did it made the albums incredible.

There's a half hour live version of Cleanse. poo poo like this is why they have the following they do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjZTsQMJwp8

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Neurosis are incredible. Through Silver in Blood is one of the most devastating albums ever, and I'll never forget the first time I heard Times of Grace. Their later stuff like A Sun that Never Sets and Honour Found In Decay have a big emotional weight in my opinion as well. I can never get into the other really heavy post-metal bands because most of them sound like calculated Neurosis clones to me, whereas Neurosis seem to have some sort of primordial energy about them which I find totally captivating. Also one of the heaviest bands I've ever seen. When they played Distill I thought I was going to be sick, such a churning, heavy, intense experience.

All that being said, it took me aaaaaages to "get" them, although I hadn't really listened to post-metal when I first heard them. I heard Times of Grace, forgot about it for a while because I never really got into it, then I got really heavily into Altar of Plagues, and revisited Neurosis. Boom. I've been a fan ever since. Their music is resonant in a way that other bands just... aren't.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I appreciate the Neurosis insight, I enjoy understanding the qualities that draw people towards things. I can usually be more sympathetic once I know what's floating peoples' boats. I had seen some footage of some live shows and that all seemed really cool, especially the percussion. I can appreciate the punishing atmospheric qualities and I think I would have had my mind blown at a live show but what tends to lose me with the recordings is the lack of riffage and the vocals. Last night I got halfway through Through Silver in Blood (ran out of time). I'm still finding the music to be a bit monotonous and the vocals to be not my thing. I'm going keep at it for a bit though. I imagine that I would have a completely different take on Neurosis if I was able to experience the original context of the band. Take this with a grain of salt but Scott Kelly's vocals a lot of time come across as a dude yelling at me and I don't understand why. That delivery reminds me of Meshuggah/Pantera or New York hardcore bands which I can almost tolerate if there are fun riffs to listen to.

edit: Also try Mars Red Sky, I love that band, found out about them in this thread about 2 months ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6L1pmdvmSWc
VVVV

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Feb 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillbro_69
Jul 23, 2006

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Stumbled across Colour Haze while looking for more stuff in the Earthless vein. Goddamn!!! :stare:

If you like them, you'd also love The Machine and Sungazer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1z0YTvknHA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lz0BGyq8Utw