Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Chichevache posted:

The Super Bowl is on you loving goons. If you're all from Indiana cheer for Peyton. Go Hawks :hawksin:

Everyone from Texas I know seems to be cheering for Peyton too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Well since I just found out Philip Seymour Hoffman died, I wanna go and watch some of his movies. Any good ones on Netflix besides his work with P.T. Anderson?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Franchescanado posted:

Well since I just found out Philip Seymour Hoffman died, I wanna go and watch some of his movies. Any good ones on Netflix besides his work with P.T. Anderson?

He's not in Talented Mr. Ripley that long, but he steals the show. I've heard his performance in A Late Quartet is good, too.

Optimist with doubt
May 16, 2010

Scoop Lover

:vince:

he knows...
He likewise has a small but fun role in punch drunk love.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
State And Main was up for years, and is a fantastic film. He leads a cast that includes everyone from Alex Baldwin and Sara Jessica Parker to Coulson from the Avengers to loving Dr Katz. It was also written and directed by David Mamet.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Franchescanado posted:

He kills it as the villain in Mission Impossible III a movie that isn't on Netflix anymore.

Baronash fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Feb 3, 2014

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I'd say of the ones that are on streaming Punch-Drunk Love is the best, although A Late Quartet looks interesting and I've heard good things about Mary & Max. Hard Eight is up too, which is the only P.T. Anderson film I haven't seen. I heard it was kind of similar in structure to Magnolia, which I really like, although I might be thinking of an Altman thing instead.

edit: Also, is there some way to sort stuff beyond theme-based genres (e.g. drama, indie, documentary), and do something like "female directors"? Because I've been meaning to watch more stuff with female directors. If there isn't a way to sort it like that, does anyone have any recommendations, preferably on streaming but I'm interested even if it isn't. I have Strange Days and The Weight of Water by Kathryn Bigelow, and Sister and Home by Ursula Meier in my queue, but that's about all I know about so far. I've been meaning to check out some Sarah Polley stuff, but the stuff she's directed isn't streaming now. I'm interested in any sort of movie, and I imagine there's probably a lot of documentaries and foreign films that fit this that I don't know about.

wizardofloneliness fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Feb 3, 2014

No Longer Flaky
Nov 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

I'd say of the ones that are on streaming Punch-Drunk Love is the best, although A Late Quartet looks interesting and I've heard good things about Mary & Max. Hard Eight is up too, which is the only P.T. Anderson film I haven't seen. I heard it was kind of similar in structure to Magnolia, which I really like, although I might be thinking of an Altman thing instead.

Mary and Max is great. I would recommend it.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

edit: Also, is there some way to sort stuff beyond theme-based genres (e.g. drama, indie, documentary), and do something like "female directors"? Because I've been meaning to watch more stuff with female directors. If there isn't a way to sort it like that, does anyone have any recommendations, preferably on streaming but I'm interested even if it isn't. I have Strange Days and The Weight of Water by Kathryn Bigelow, and Sister and Home by Ursula Meier in my queue, but that's about all I know about so far. I've been meaning to check out some Sarah Polley stuff, but the stuff she's directed isn't streaming now. I'm interested in any sort of movie, and I imagine there's probably a lot of documentaries and foreign films that fit this that I don't know about.

American Psycho is probably my favorite female-directed movie. And it's on Netflix streaming right now.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

edit: Also, is there some way to sort stuff beyond theme-based genres (e.g. drama, indie, documentary), and do something like "female directors"? Because I've been meaning to watch more stuff with female directors.

While that's not an option yet, you can definitely find female directors you like and watch their movies from their page. It doesn't help you find new directors, but at least you can get better acquainted with those you already know.

Also, Lost in Translation is one of my very favorite movies and is directed by Sofia Coppola. It's on streaming now, go nuts.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I'd never noticed them on Netflix before, so they probably just went up, but A Fistful of Dollars and The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly are available to stream. Watch that poo poo, yo.

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

Esto es un infierno. Estoy en el infierno.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I'd never noticed them on Netflix before, so they probably just went up, but A Fistful of Dollars and The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly are available to stream. Watch that poo poo, yo.

This is awesome, although I'm disappointed that For a Few Dollars More is missing from the trilogy.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

No Longer Flaky posted:

Mary and Max is great. I would recommend it.

Be ready to cry.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

FLEXBONER posted:

This is awesome, although I'm disappointed that For a Few Dollars More is missing from the trilogy.

Same here, especially since it's the only one I don't already own.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Which version of Metropolis are you supposed to watch for your first time?

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Manky posted:

Metropolis Restored is the way to go, since (thanks to a couple of relatively recent archival miracles) this edition is only a couple of scenes shy of being the entire film. The Giorgio Moroder recut was aiming squarely for the 80s cult film market and, thanks to the soundtrack and tinting choices, it's impossible to escape that pedigree thirty years later.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Manky posted:

Yeah check out the restored version but truth be told I prefer the Moroder version, not just for the music, but I actually understood a lot more of the movie with the cuts he made.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Anyone know of any good stuff exclusive to Amazon Prime video?

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Anonymous Robot posted:

I think The Shield is still up in its entirety.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
The Shield is also on Hulu Plus, or was last year at least. Justified is only on Prime as far as I know.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Started watching this documentary series about the history of film called The Story of Film: An Odyssey and it's really fascinating. I never really studied much film theory or history so there's a ton of really good info I'm learning. Also starting to form a giant list of films I need to see, and I've barely gotten up to the start of films with sound!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The Story of Film owns and is super-relaxing.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Yeah, I couldn't get enough of it when I was watching it. It was absolutely thrilling getting that kind of crash course in world cinema and its trends.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Thanks to everyone who pimped Trollhunter. I watched it yesterday and it was loving awesome.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Anyone using Netflix on Roku? My receiver can do 5.1 however Netflix uses a newer setup. Is there a way to make the app default to stereo? I didn't see anything in the options.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Anonymous Robot posted:

Justified, Hannibal, Spring Breakers.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Anonymous Robot posted:

Veronica Mars is up in anticipation for the release of the movie next month.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Nihonniboku posted:

If you haven't seen that show you should really give it a shot. It is the closest you'll ever get to a Brick tv show and it is actually really fun. It does have some of the usual high school drama poo poo, but the detective work is really entertaining and Kristen Bell has a ton of charisma.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Franchescanado posted:

Wasn't Synecdoche, New York on streaming at some point? He's in that, and I enjoyed many parts of his performance. The film as a whole is...interesting. It's Charlie Kaufman taking his usual themes of recursion and loneliness, and pumping them up an order of magnitude bigger than ever before.

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Sex House

Give it a few episodes.

I loving lost it at the Muhammad face painting.

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Everyone here wishes I would ragequit my life

Anonymous Robot posted:

Vikings

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Nihonniboku posted:

Yeah no poo poo. I just had my gf sign up for a 1 month free trial to get Veronica Mars Seasons 2 and 3.

Was hoping it'd be on Netflix but noooooooo.

Any service have The Wire for streaming watching? I even have HBO, but I don't think it's available anywhere.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Pander posted:

Yeah no poo poo. I just had my gf sign up for a 1 month free trial to get Veronica Mars Seasons 2 and 3.

Was hoping it'd be on Netflix but noooooooo.

Any service have The Wire for streaming watching? I even have HBO, but I don't think it's available anywhere.

The Wire (and every other HBO TV series) is on HBOGo, which you have if you're subscribed to HBO. Just go to https://www.hbogo.com and chose which provider you have, then log in with the main account of your household.

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009

Tennis Ball posted:

I loving lost it at the Muhammad face painting.

The mold will seal it up.
:aaaaa:

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
Is it the theatrical or the expanded version? The US is stuck with a mediocre transfer of the expanded version on Blu-Ray, while in Europe there is a comparatively pristine version of the superior theatrical cut.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Anonymous Robot posted:

Workaholics, Downton Abbey, some random seasons of Survivor. Also, thanks to Amazon owning the internet and ISPs hating Netflix I can get sweet maximum HD during the various hours where Netflix suddenly turns to VHS.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

I want to like this show so bad.

But it's actually so bad I can't like it at all.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Tennis Ball posted:

The mold will seal it up.
:aaaaa:

Porkin' Across America is pretty good too.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

"To win in battle, know your enemy. To win in life, know your weakness."
- Miyamoto Musashi

Anonymous Robot posted:

Every Stargate TV series if that suits your fancy. Netflix got rid of em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

I want to like this show so bad.

But it's actually so bad I can't like it at all.

I liked it. They really wanted to make Game of Thrones but there was clearly one zealot left in the writers' room to demand surprisingly lucid explanations of Viking naval technology. It's an earnest enough show that I found it charming.

EasyEW, mod sassisinator, thanks for the tips on Metropolis. I watched most of Restored yesterday. I wasn't sure what to expect but I was struck by it. This is one of only a few silent films I've seen - gently caress, the only other one I can name is The Artist. Any other great silent films on NF or AP?

• Locked thread