Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robin Sparkles
Apr 23, 2009

Caffeinated Bacon posted:

Any recommendations for a good Ipad Mini case? I don't mind paying for something for something decent, I just don't want to drop 50 bucks on a sock with a couple magnets taped to it.

Bonus warning: I originally had purchased a Kindle Fire HDX 7" and it was total garbage. It constantly froze (which required rebooting), had trouble charging, staying connected wifi/cellular and couldn't properly upload photos. Looking back through some of the one star reviews I found that I wasn't the only person with those problems. Luckily Amazon took it back.

If you live in Canada, Dollarama are getting some great cases in right now for $3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Can someone suggest a cheap/OK security webcam? It's for the novelty of keeping watch over my new kittens at home, so I don't want to invest big bucks.

Preferably something I can nab off Amazon EU.

whatshesaid
May 6, 2007
:spooky:
Dude wants a camera to watch his kittens. If that's not the most :3: thing ever, I don't know what is.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Mango Polo posted:

Can someone suggest a cheap/OK security webcam? It's for the novelty of keeping watch over my new kittens at home, so I don't want to invest big bucks.

Preferably something I can nab off Amazon EU.

Are you hooking it up to a computer? If so just grab any webcam and either sign up for logmein (costs money after a month but you can remote in to your computer) or setup a free account with ustream.tv to stream them. I do the combination of both so my wife and I can watch our dogs while we are away from home.

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face

Etrips posted:

Are you hooking it up to a computer? If so just grab any webcam and either sign up for logmein (costs money after a month but you can remote in to your computer) or setup a free account with ustream.tv to stream them. I do the combination of both so my wife and I can watch our dogs while we are away from home.

Seconding this, we just use a free UStream account and a Logitech C525 webcam and stream all the time we're out of the house to monitor the dog(s seizures).
EDIT - I use TeamViewer on Android so that I can use my computer while out, just incase the stream goes down or the PC gets rebooted for whatever reason

ALTERNATIVELY
http://petcube.com/

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW
Justice is bald, like an eagle, or Lady Liberty's docket.

This vacuum. Holy poo poo. I can't believe I'm in love with a vacuum, but every square loving inch of my house is hardwood floor and I live with a dog that basically sheds his entire coat once a day. Other vacuums push that poo poo around, but this thing is a monster and my house has never been so sparkling. And it's $50!

Seriously, if you have pets and no carpet, get this thing.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
I need something wireless since my PC is in the bedroom & the cats hang out in the living room. Any specific webcams or basically should I just grab whatever?

whatshesaid posted:

Dude wants a camera to watch his kittens. If that's not the most :3: thing ever, I don't know what is.

Second most :3: maybe, because #1 are these guys :3:

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Ok, I am about to make the mother of all amazon orders and have a few more things I want to add:

1)Looking for a better shower head, we have pretty low pressure and I would like one that makes it better but dont need some crazy million setting thing.

2)I want a magic jacket that is warmer and nicer looking than a Carheart hoody but is pretty much identical in form and fit. I have been looking at Kuhl Thor Hoody but it seems to lack a inner pocker which is nuts. I am too damm old to wear my ratty old hoody everywhere but I cant find a jacket that I like enough to replace it with.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

bunnielab posted:

Ok, I am about to make the mother of all amazon orders and have a few more things I want to add:

1)Looking for a better shower head, we have pretty low pressure and I would like one that makes it better but dont need some crazy million setting thing.

http://www.amazon.com/75152-Amplify...rds=shower+head

I use this, supposedly pretty good if you have low pressure.

Mango Polo posted:

I need something wireless since my PC is in the bedroom & the cats hang out in the living room. Any specific webcams or basically should I just grab whatever?

How far is your computer? I run a long USB cable to the bedroom where our dogs are from my computer downstairs.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Have that same shower head. It's nice and simple.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is there a TV mount that you can attach a few things to behind the TV, like a Wii U?

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Can anyone recommend a decent deep fryer?

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

PaganGoatPants posted:

Have that same shower head. It's nice and simple.

Also have that shower head. Buy that shower head.

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

deadwing posted:

Also have that shower head. Buy that shower head.

I bought that shower head. Purely based on you goons' recommendation.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Ok, I will buy that showerhead!

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I am looking for a lamp for my nightstand, are there any that have USB ports? I'd love to be able to condense everything down to one spot.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

calandryll posted:

I am looking for a lamp for my nightstand, are there any that have USB ports? I'd love to be able to condense everything down to one spot.

I saw one in a furniture store like that but it cost something like $150 so I can't say I'd recommend it.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Looking on Amazon there's only a couple and you either have to pick between a $100+ pricetag, or affordable but lovely reviews. I think what you're looking for falls into a "solution searching for a problem" niche.

granpa yum
Jul 15, 2004
Can anyone recommend totally overkill cases for an iPad or iPod touch? I work with a lot of kids with intellectual disability and they can be pretty rough on them. I've got 2 broken iPads and 5 broken iPods in my desk just from the last two months. They were all in otter boxes or life proof cases; are there any crazy hardcore niche cases that aren't heavily advertised? I'm guessing there's probably not, aside from just getting a specialty tablet made specifically for fringe cases like this. For reference we typically see them get thrown across rooms or at the floor rather than direct hits to the screen (although that happens occasionally).

It's up to the families whether they continue to get devices or whether they get a cheaper alternative (e.g. android tablet) since they pay for it so that's not an option unless they change their minds.

Edit: some others that I haven't tried directly but have failed in similar situations with colleagues clients are the Griffin survivors and Gumdrop extreme. We typically use iPad 2 and iPod 3 and 4 but I'm sure if we could find a case that could stand up to abuse they'd buy a newer model; however all of my families are Apple devotees as said above

granpa yum has a new favorite as of 10:18 on Jan 27, 2014

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Geoj posted:

Looking on Amazon there's only a couple and you either have to pick between a $100+ pricetag, or affordable but lovely reviews. I think what you're looking for falls into a "solution searching for a problem" niche.

You are probably correct. The layout for power outlets is really weird in my rental house. Just trying to optimize everything I can.

Aubergine Despot
Jan 1, 2009

granpa yum posted:

Can anyone recommend totally overkill cases for an iPad or iPod touch? I work with a lot of kids with intellectual disability and they can be pretty rough on them. I've got 2 broken iPads and 5 broken iPods in my desk just from the last two months. They were all in otter boxes or life proof cases; are there any crazy hardcore niche cases that aren't heavily advertised? I'm guessing there's probably not, aside from just getting a specialty tablet made specifically for fringe cases like this. For reference we typically see them get thrown across rooms or at the floor rather than direct hits to the screen (although that happens occasionally).

Have you tried something like the Big Grips frame? I can't speak directly to whether or not it's throw-proof, but it seems to be the case of choice for most of the schools in my area. Might be worth a try if other things are failing.

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment

calandryll posted:

It's not a lamp but I did find this 5 port USB charger on a deals site I check every morning. You could maybe stick it next to the lamp?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

calandryll posted:

You are probably correct. The layout for power outlets is really weird in my rental house. Just trying to optimize everything I can.

Mine too. I've been looking for a decent lighting/organizational/USB charging solution for my nightstands for the longest time.

I might just try to DIY something together.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Gyshall posted:

I might just try to DIY something together.

You could try something like this:

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
My top drawer is already spoke for :colbert:

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

It's not a lamp but I did find this 5 port USB charger on a deals site I check every morning. You could maybe stick it next to the lamp?

I had looked that the travel version of that and the travel version takes up both plugs. I like the one you linked and it looks like it should work for what I want. Thanks.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

Funky Bunch Wikia posted:

This vacuum. Holy poo poo. I can't believe I'm in love with a vacuum, but every square loving inch of my house is hardwood floor and I live with a dog that basically sheds his entire coat once a day. Other vacuums push that poo poo around, but this thing is a monster and my house has never been so sparkling. And it's $50!

Seriously, if you have pets and no carpet, get this thing.

Seconding this, I bought this solely on this recommendation (:hfive:), and it arrived today and I just tried it out. It's fantastic, and for $50, it's a fricking steal.

granpa yum
Jul 15, 2004

Aubergine Despot posted:

Have you tried something like the Big Grips frame? I can't speak directly to whether or not it's throw-proof, but it seems to be the case of choice for most of the schools in my area. Might be worth a try if other things are failing.

I've never heard of this, worth a shot! Thanks!!

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Need a recommendation or two;

Moving into a new condo middle of next month, and as usual the urge to visit Ikea is strong.

- I will need a couch/sectional and a nice relaxing chair... I had my eye on the Karlstad leather type dealies, but would rather not drop $1000.

- Computer desk that is fairly minimalist, enough room for 2 large monitors plus a work area, keyboard tray optional.

Any recommendations ?

Also of note this is Toronto/Canada we are talking, so shipping will be prohibitive.

Edit:

To help, this is the sort of furniture I'd like, but no way can I afford the real lounge chair :pray:

Blue On Blue has a new favorite as of 19:39 on Jan 29, 2014

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I'm looking for a book on Penmanship (how to write).

I know how to write, but my handwriting is god-awful. I've been using a fountain pen lately and was wondering if there was some sort of resource that I could practice my penmanship with, preferably some finer cursive writing.

I'm not looking for calligraphy, I'm looking for a resource for everyday writing.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

PRADA SLUT posted:

I know how to write, but my handwriting is god-awful. I've been using a fountain pen lately and was wondering if there was some sort of resource that I could practice my penmanship with, preferably some finer cursive writing.

I'm not looking for calligraphy, I'm looking for a resource for everyday writing.

Not sure if this is exactly what you're looking for but I managed to find a free online course in penmanship.

http://www.iampeth.com/lessons.php

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

PRADA SLUT posted:

Palmer Method might be what you're looking for:
http://palmermethod.com/

The IAMPETH site is great too.

Note than some of the older manuals on business handwriting (for instance the Spencerian) will assume that you have a flexible nib pen. Very few modern fountain pens are flexible by late 19th/early 20th century standards.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
Does anyone have any recommendations for a good electric can opener? My roommate has arthritis and can't open cans with the hand ones anymore.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
I'm looking for some Vibram FiveFingers for light running. There's just so many VFF's to choose from, though. Which type of VFF is best for this?

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

melon cat posted:

I'm looking for some Vibram FiveFingers for light running. There's just so many VFF's to choose from, though. Which type of VFF is best for this?

On the road? Grass? Trail? What type of climate?

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
I've been running in one model or the other of these for years and love them:
http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/products/Five-Fingers-BikilaLS-Mens.htm

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

This is my living room/kitchen floor. It is a huge huge pain to vacume, right now we use a shop vac but it is super slow and annoying. There is a wood stove in there so there is occasional small woodchips and the like I would like a vacume to handle. Most of the mess is dog hair and random kitchen crumbs and the like.

Money is more or less no object but I distrust anything without someone to vouch for using it on a floor this rough.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Etrips posted:

On the road? Grass? Trail? What type of climate?
Roads during hot and rainy spring and summer, and occasional indoor use.

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

bunnielab posted:

This is my living room/kitchen floor. It is a huge huge pain to vacume, right now we use a shop vac but it is super slow and annoying. There is a wood stove in there so there is occasional small woodchips and the like I would like a vacume to handle. Most of the mess is dog hair and random kitchen crumbs and the like.

Money is more or less no object but I distrust anything without someone to vouch for using it on a floor this rough.

Buy a Dyson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

melon cat posted:

I have the KMD Sports. I've run in them on pavement and trails, and I've also done some backpacking in them and a few mud runs. Overall they're still pretty thin and light, but offer a bit of extra tread if you're on bad terrain. Not as much as some of the others (Spyridon), but if you've got some serious tread on them you're sacrificing some of the ground feel.

You can also do the straight KSO's, but they feel like running on an inner tube. I don't mind it, but some people hate when they can feel rocks or whatever underfoot.

• Locked thread