Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Clowning
Jan 10, 2007
I'm certainly not gonna sign for any more packages with the word "Congo" written in blood.
January:

1. Hyperbole and a Half: Unfortunate Situations, Flawed Coping Mechanisms, Mayhem, and Other Things That Happened by Allie Brosh
2. Take the Cannoli: Stories From the New World by Sarah Vowell
3. Roadside Picnic by Arkady and Boris Strugatsky

Roadside Picnic is a science fiction novel that was censored in the Soviet Union for years. Good book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
I figure since I don't plan to be in this thread that much, I will reveal the other 27 books I'll be reading this year. Needless to say, the bulk of it will be by two authors:

4. 740 Park by Michael Gross
5. Theodore Rex by Edmund Morris (I've already read The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt)
6. Colonel Roosevelt by Edmund Morris

william Gibson:

7. Burning Chrome
8-10. Sprawl Trilogy (Neuromancer,Count Zero,Mona Lisa Overdrive)
11-13. Bridge Trilogy (Virtual Light,Idoru,All Tomorrow's Parties)
14-16. Blue Ant Trilogy (Pattern Recognition,Spook Country,Zero History)

Kurt Vonnegut:

17. Player Piano
18. The Sirens of Titan
19. Mother Night
20. Cat's Cradle
21. God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater
22. Welcome to the Monkey House (I've already read Slaughterhouse Five so I replaced it)
23. Breakfast of Champions
24. Slapstick
25. Jailbird
26. Deadeye Dick
27. Galapagos
28. Bluebeard
29. Hocus Pocus
30. Timequake

Poutling
Dec 26, 2005

spacebunny to the rescue
I'm glad I lowered my target from last year because I am definitely not keeping up my reading pace - priorities have shifted to other things unfortunately.

1) Adam Nevill - The House of Small Shadows (just ok)
2) Ben H. Winters - The Last Policeman (pretty good)
3) Charlotte Rogan - The Lifeboat (good)
4) No Doors, No Windows - (ok, better than House of Small Shadows).

Last year end of January I'd read 9 books, I've got too much on my plate right now unfortunately to keep up that pace. :( I have a long vacation planned in November so I'm hoping that I can bump my 60 book target to at least 80 at that point.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
Here is my progress so far:

1. Tyranny by Leslie Fairfield: Graphic novel memoir of eating disorder. Interesting.
2. Sharpe's Escape by Bernard Cornwell: Historic fiction. I had heard that he was good, and so when I found this at the Dollar Tree I bought it. Good historical fiction adventure.
3. Her Permanent Record by Jimmy Gownly : One of my favorite graphic novel series, consistently good and funny.
4. The Avengers: Celestial Quest: Good stuff if you like that type of stuff.
5. The Laws of the Blood: Heroes by Susan Sizemore: Good vampire pulp
6. Only Human by Gareth Roberts: Above average Doctor Who novel
7. Glisten Volume I by Andi Watson: Overly twee graphic novel
8. V.S Naipaul: A Writer's people: the memoirs of the Nobel-Prize winning author. Another great Dollar Tree find!
9. Clan Novel: Gangrel: More Vampire Pulp!
10. Love and Summer by William Trevor : This is "Literary Fiction", meaning it is about sad people having sex in a rural past.
11. Invisible Cities by Italo Calvino: A good book, short sketches about abstract cities. If you know Calvino, it makes sense, if not, you have to read it.
12. T.S. Eliot edited by Linda Wagner: essays on T.S Eliot
13. Vlad the Impaler by Sid Jacobsen : Graphic novel version of Vlad's life. Fair.
14. Coal by Barbara Freese: An informative book about...coal.
15. The Satires of Juvenal: A Classic, full of good stuff if you can look past Juvenal's racism, sexism and general bad attitude.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
January!

1. The Thirteen and a Half Lives of Captain Bluebear - Walter Moers
2. The Ocean at the End of the Lane - Neil Gaiman
3. The Revolution was Televised - Alan Sepinwall
4. Cell - Stephen King
5. Animal, Vegetable, Miracle - Barbara Kingsolver
6. Double Down: Game Change 2012 - Mark Helperin and John Heilemann
7. Sourcery - Terry Pratchett
8. Stoner - John Williams
9. Watchmen- Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons
10. Under Heaven - Guy Gavriel Kay
11. The Luminaries - Eleanor Catton
12. The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao - Junot Diaz
13. Tell Me How Long the Train’s Been Gone - James Baldwin
14. The Hobbit - J.R.R. Tolkien

Best of the month:
The Thirteen and a Half Lives of Captain Bluebear was an outright delight. It was the most original fantasy book I've read in years. There are man-eating islands, life-saving pterodactyls, a gelatine prince from the 2364th dimension, a devious Troglotroll, a vast black ship the size of a continent, hobgoblins, minipirates, Bolloggs (creatures that get so large they remove their own heads), eternal tornadoes, a mile-wide whirlpool, and that's just scratching the surface. Stoner was a quiet, beautiful little book. It follows the life of William Stoner, the son of farmers, who goes to college and falls in love with English literature, soon becoming a teacher at that very institution - facing many of life’s little defeats, but retaining his dignity. The Luminaries was a huge book, a mystery following a missing gold miner in 1860s New Zealand. Weird enough, it felt like a Victorian novel mixed with Deadwood - minus the swearing.

Oscar Wao, Watchmen, and Hobbit were rereads, and all great.

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

Chamberk posted:

Best of the month:
The Thirteen and a Half Lives of Captain Bluebear was an outright delight. It was the most original fantasy book I've read in years. There are man-eating islands, life-saving pterodactyls, a gelatine prince from the 2364th dimension, a devious Troglotroll, a vast black ship the size of a continent, hobgoblins, minipirates, Bolloggs (creatures that get so large they remove their own heads), eternal tornadoes, a mile-wide whirlpool, and that's just scratching the surface.

I stumbled on that book by accident quite a few years ago and loved the poo poo out of it.
Moers has a couple other books out there, my understanding is that some of the are tied to this but they're not always easy finds.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

January - 5:

The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists (Robert Tressell)
Always Managing: My Autobiography (Harry Redknapp)
Things Fall Apart (Chinua Achebe)
Hyperbole and a Half: Unfortunate Situations, Flawed Coping Mechanisms, Mayhem, and Other Things that Happened (Allie Brosh)
Dracula (Bram Stoker)

Strong start to the year. I absolutely loved Things Fall Apart.

Year so far:

1. The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists (Robert Tressell)
2. Always Managing: My Autobiography (Harry Redknapp)
3. Things Fall Apart (Chinua Achebe)
4. Hyperbole and a Half: Unfortunate Situations, Flawed Coping Mechanisms, Mayhem, and Other Things that Happened (Allie Brosh)
5. Dracula (Bram Stoker)

Total: 5/26, 1/2 women, 1/2 non-Europeans

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire

Roydrowsy posted:

I stumbled on that book by accident quite a few years ago and loved the poo poo out of it.
Moers has a couple other books out there, my understanding is that some of the are tied to this but they're not always easy finds.

I managed to read The City of Dreaming Books last year. Now I've got my eyes peeled for Rumo & His Fantastic Adventures...

Sudbina
Mar 17, 2009
I went with the 50 book challenge, since this is the first time that I am doing such a challenge and this is the first time in a long time that I am reading books for enjoyment instead of reading it because it was assigned.

03/50 books finished

January 2014

1. Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
2. Divergent by Veronica Roth
3. Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

February 2014

1. Steelheart by Brandon Sanderson (currently reading)

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

January
Overall: 8/70
Non-fiction: 0/20
Lifetime Reading List: 1/10
Female Authors: 1/12
Non-Europe/USA countries: 1/5
Gravity's Rainbow: 0/1

1. Ham on Rye by Charles Bukowski
2. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
3. You've Got a Book in You by Elizabeth Sims
4. Werewolves in Their Youth by Michael Chabon
5. God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater by Kurt Vonnegut
6. I Wear the Black Hat: Grappling with Villains (Real and Imagined) by Chuck Klosterman
7. Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
8. The Alchemist by Paulo Coehlo

Off to a good start, I also ended January about a third of the way through 2 other books. I am going to start reviewing in Goodreads most likely, for my own benefit, so that I can come back later and see what I thought of books I have read over the years. And obviously if anyone wants to check them out: my Goodreads (I have not actually started the reviews or really set up my profile yet, just dumped a bunch of books in it)

h34rts
Aug 3, 2012

I drink coffee because
I need it and I drink gin
because I deserve it.
Lipstick Apathy
Because I started reading these as individual books - I'm keeping up the count in this manner - I'm actually reading the collection now and listing them as I go. Because many of them are quite short, I'm going to wind up raising my goal (hypothetically speaking.)

Arthur Conan Doyle - Sherlock Holmes

January Books 5/30
1. A Study in Scarlet
2. The Adventure of the Bruce-Partington Plans
3. The Adventure of the Cardboard Box
4. The Sign of Four
5. The Hound of Baskervilles

February Books 8/30
6. The Valley of Fear
7. The Red Headed League
8. A Scandal in Bohemia

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward
January update:

1. Hyperbole and a Half (Allie Brosh):
This was cute, but not spectacular. I remember that the stuff on her blog cracked me up so I didn't expect to be so lukewarm about this. Also, why is there a huge story about depression?

2. Understanding Exposure (Bryan Peterson):
This is a great book for photography beginners. It sticks strictly to the fundamentals: how light and cameras work, how you can change the basic settings of your DSLR (and what happens when you do) and additional features and equipment that you might take a look at. Everything is illustrated and explained at a very basic and understandable level. I only shoot manually now and it's a great learning experience.

3. On Writing (Stephen King):
I was a little surprised when this opened with hundred pages of Stephen King's backstory. There's some great advice, even in the autobiographic chapters, but for a book called "On Writing" I thought the actual part about writing would be more than half.

4. Perdido Street Station (China Miéville):
This novel is weird and gorgeous and moody as hell but sometimes, just sometimes, I wish Miéville could shut up and get back to the plot. He has an amazing way with words and I can understand why he keeps rambling on about his admittedly awesome fantasy world but I can only pay attention to so many chapters about architecture before I blank out. The story is still interesting and all, it's just a little exhausting. After 600+ pages I'll be glad to move on.

4/45
Currently reading:
The Complete Sherlock Holmes (Sir Arthur Conan Doyle)
Europe: A History (Norman Davies) (<--- I WILL NEVER FINISH THIS)

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
January update: Just the one book, which I started in December. Good book, but dense nonfiction.

1. Diane Ravitch - Reign of Error: The Hoax of the Privatization Movement and the Danger to America's Public Schools - Good, combative attack on the so-called school reform movement. Writing-wise I have slightly mixed feelings.

As always, full reviews on my Goodreads.

Sudbina
Mar 17, 2009

Sudbina posted:

I went with the 50 book challenge, since this is the first time that I am doing such a challenge and this is the first time in a long time that I am reading books for enjoyment instead of reading it because it was assigned.

04/50 books finished

January 2014

1. Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
2. Divergent by Veronica Roth
3. Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

February 2014

1. Steelheart by Brandon Sanderson
2. The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien (currently reading)

Updated

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
1. Beyond the Rift by Peter Watts.
2. Komarr by Lois McMaster Bujold.
3. Blood Song by Anthony Ryan.
4. A Princess of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs.

Well, finding enough time and mental presence to read with a newborn in the house is another question altogether; the last book took me nearly three weeks where it would normally have gone in three days. So be it, things will stabilize. It was a fine and enjoyable story and I have now filled a gaping hole in my geek-literature background.

Just started on The Death of the Adversary by Hans Keilson. A short introspective novel about being a young Jewish man in Germany during the rise of Nazism (and written while all that poo poo was going on), except with all the specifics removed (it is never "the Jews" or "Hitler", but only "we" and "the enemy").

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
#2: Cold Days by Jim Butcher. This was actually a book I read in the middle of book number three. I needed something light as a break, so I reread this since the next one is coming out soon.

#3: Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov. drat this book is amazing. The prose is absurdly good. It's genuinely funny even while being viscerally distressing. I wish I knew more French and more general information about literature. I'm sure all kinds of allusions and puns soared over my head. Even only appreciating a small portion of what was there, it was breathtakingly good.

Siminu
Sep 6, 2005

No, you are the magic man.

Hell Gem
Books books books.

1 - 3. The Skinner, The Voyage of the Sable Keech, and Orbus by Neal Asher. His Spatterjay trilogy. Prador Moon is basically a prerequisite. I found them as good, if not better than his Agent Cormack novels. The Spatterjay ecosystem is loving great.

Namirsolo
Jan 20, 2009

Like that, babe?
Here's my January review. I started with reading the complete Sherlock Holmes.

1. His Last Bow by Arthur Conan Doyle
2. The Return of Sherlock Holmes
3. The Hound of the Baskervilles
4. The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes
5. The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes – I don't know what to say about these that hasn't already been said. I now understand why they are so popular and are still being remade.
6. The Metamorphoses and other stories by Franz Kafka- Haunting. I'm kind of sad that I didn't discover Kafka before now.
7. Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah- A friend at work pressured me to read this. I wasn't impressed by it and felt really manipulated by the ending. I hate tear jerkers.
8. Fatal Alliance by Sean Williams- Run of the mill Star Wars book. It wasn't great and it wasn't terrible.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
In January I read:

1. Dust of Dreams by Steven Erikson
2. Vulcan's Forge by Josepha Sherman and Susan Shwartz

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Blind Sally posted:

4-7. The Chronicles of Prydain II-V: The Black Cauldron, The Castle Of Lyr, Taran Wanderer, The High King - Lloyd Alexander.

It was good. I liked them save for some issues with the last two. I chalk them up to be being based on Welsh myth and being written in the sixties, though. I'm sure I would have loved them more as a kid, but as an adult I find them a bit lacking in the end.

7 1/2. Coraline: The Graphic Novel - Neil Gaiman et al.

Better than the film. I didn't much care for the film. Felt too much like VIDEO GAME: THE MOVIE. I liked this better. Still had the hunt of collectibles, but thankfully it didn't have the silly spider final boss fight. Still dull. Coraline is such a dull character. I get that she's supposed to be as a sort of counter to the more imaginative opposite world, but man, the artwork is also all kinds of dull. Not really inspiring or imaginative.

8 1/2. Ready Player One - Ernest Cline

Horrible. I mean, innocuous enough to read straight through, but man. This is the worst self-indulging nostalgia crap. Woo, the 80s are great. So great that video games and 80s movies are going to save our world from global warming and big brother and evil corporations! Best of all, our hero will be some guy with autism and he'll save the world by playing Second Life!

gently caress me. Skip this book. Especially if you have friends who recommend it to you as the most awesome thing ever because it references Star Trek and D&D.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Blind Sally posted:

7 1/2. Coraline: The Graphic Novel - Neil Gaiman et al.

Better than the film. I didn't much care for the film. Felt too much like VIDEO GAME: THE MOVIE. I liked this better. Still had the hunt of collectibles, but thankfully it didn't have the silly spider final boss fight. Still dull. Coraline is such a dull character. I get that she's supposed to be as a sort of counter to the more imaginative opposite world, but man, the artwork is also all kinds of dull. Not really inspiring or imaginative.

8 1/2. Ready Player One - Ernest Cline

Horrible. I mean, innocuous enough to read straight through, but man. This is the worst self-indulging nostalgia crap. Woo, the 80s are great. So great that video games and 80s movies are going to save our world from global warming and big brother and evil corporations! Best of all, our hero will be some guy with autism and he'll save the world by playing Second Life!

gently caress me. Skip this book. Especially if you have friends who recommend it to you as the most awesome thing ever because it references Star Trek and D&D.

So what's the point of counting comics as part of your reading challenge log? Like would you honestly tell people you read fifty two books in a year when a number of those were like Hawkeye trades or One Piece volume one or something like that. Would you really if asked to expand on what you read mention that you counted those in your total?

This is an open question to everyone that has listed comics because I just want to know.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

It just seems disingenuous to me. Like if I said I watched fifty movies last year and my list was something like: Citizen Kane, Mad Men, American Hustle and Breaking Bad.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Stravinsky posted:

This is an open question to everyone that has listed comics because I just want to know.

While I don't list single issues of comics, I have listed volumes and graphic novels because to me they feel like distinct works. I think it's a bit weird to draw this arbitrary line between what does and doesn't count, it's different for everyone. Reading Watchmen feels more significant to me than the 12th installment in some mediocre SF series, but that's personal.

I also think the people who list comics knew that they would be reading these and set their reading goals accordingly. Let's not be so judgmental of what everyone else is counting, it really doesn't matter.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
It depends on what your personal goal is I guess. If it's just to encourage yourself to read, then why not count graphic novels? It's not like it's a competition or anything, the amount of books selected as a goal is completely arbitrary and no one is out policing it.

I personally don't read comics, they have never really appealed to me. I have the Hyrule Historia sitting on my desk waiting to be read though. It's basically a glorified art book, but I'll probably still count it towards my total.

If taken to the extreme I guess I can see your point. I'm having a laugh thinking of a hypothetical scenario where someone proclaims they read "200 books" and then dump a few boxes of comic books on the table, but let's be honest, does it really matter? It would be a shame to have folks not take part because they were "ashamed" of what they read, that's not really in the spirit of the challenge is it?

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

elbow posted:

While I don't list single issues of comics, I have listed volumes and graphic novels because to me they feel like distinct works. I think it's a bit weird to draw this arbitrary line between what does and doesn't count, it's different for everyone. Reading Watchmen feels more significant to me than the 12th installment in some mediocre SF series, but that's personal.

Watching a collected season of Breaking Bad felt way more worthwhile and significant than watching Star Wars episode 2. So should I still put Breaking Bad on my list of movies I watched?

Xik posted:

It depends on what your personal goal is I guess. If it's just to encourage yourself to read, then why not count graphic novels? It's not like it's a competition or anything, the amount of books selected as a goal is completely arbitrary and no one is out policing it.

I personally don't read comics, they have never really appealed to me. I have the Hyrule Historia sitting on my desk waiting to be read though. It's basically a glorified art book, but I'll probably still count it towards my total.

If taken to the extreme I guess I can see your point. I'm having a laugh thinking of a hypothetical scenario where someone proclaims they read "200 books" and then dump a few boxes of comic books on the table, but let's be honest, does it really matter? It would be a shame to have folks not take part because they were "ashamed" of what they read, that's not really in the spirit of the challenge is it?

Maybe I just don't understand the spirit of the challenge then. So would it be cool and acceptable that I put down on my list of fifty books I read this year the Monday morning newspaper from this week?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

thespaceinvader posted:

8: The Gabble and other stories by Neal Asher. Almost finished on this, and really enjoying it. Some of the world/species-building is fantastic, and I'm really enjoying Geronamid as a character - we met him a bit in Hilldiggers, but it's nice seeing him properly here.

8: Finished The Gabble and Other Stories. I hope that knowing what the Gabbleducks are won't ruin my reading of the rest of them, but I did definitely like the book. I'm most looking forward to reading the Spatterjay series atm, but thus far I've not been able to actually find a copy of The Skinner, so I'll have to look further afield.

9: Gridlinked by Neal Asher. Enjoyed it a lot, liked the main character well enough, but felt the conclusion was kinda rushed and a bit hard to follow. Definitely carrying on with Asher, definitely liking his work. But to an extent, happy that I've thus far found all his books either in the library or in the remaindered bookshop in Oxford where everything costs £2. I love that shop.

10: The Line of Polity, again by Neal Asher. I've heard a lot about Masada thus far in Asher's work, so it's interesting to finally see what it's like.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Stravinsky posted:

Maybe I just don't understand the spirit of the challenge then. So would it be cool and acceptable that I put down on my list of fifty books I read this year the Monday morning newspaper from this week?

The whole thing is personal challenge not a public competition. What others do with their challenge, shouldn't affect your personal goal.
It's also a nice way to discover new books or "books".

Personally I don't count my comic reads as they take lot less time to read than any Novel or novelette, but don't grudge people that do.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Stravinsky posted:

Watching a collected season of Breaking Bad felt way more worthwhile and significant than watching Star Wars episode 2. So should I still put Breaking Bad on my list of movies I watched?
But there's a difference between books read and novels read. Where do you draw the line, then? Does The Very Hungry Caterpillar count?

quote:

I honestly think you don't. It's a challenge you set for yourself, not a contest. And yes, if part of your challenge is to read the newspaper more often then you should count it. It's a reading challenge, not a 'novel reading' challenge, nor a 'read poo poo Stravinsky approves of' challenge.

If it makes you feel better than everyone else to have a list of only Proper Novels then by all means go ahead and read those, but I don't give a poo poo about what other people count towards their goal, I just enjoy reading. You should try that.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Stravinsky posted:

So would it be cool and acceptable that I put down on my list of fifty books I read this year the Monday morning newspaper from this week?

Do I personally care if you put down the morning paper on your list of books read? Not really, no. If that is your goal, go for it.

It's a "reading challenge", the purpose is to set a personal goal and then try achieve it. It's not called the "novels that don't have illustrations in them challenge" and it's not some serious competition with a prize at the end if you meet the goal.

I would argue the difference between "book" and "graphic novel" isn't even really the same as the difference between a TV Show and Movie. It's more grey than that, probably akin to a Direct-to-DVD Movie like The Ark of Truth. It's a movie, but it's just the same as one of the double episode specials of Stargate that they had at the end of a season. Is it a TV Show or a Movie? More importantly, does anyone really care?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

So far this year I'm planning on keeping track of how many I finish, because I have no idea where to start my goals at.

I've finished IT, UR(Stephen King) and John Dies At The End (David Wong) so far.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Xik posted:

It's a "reading challenge", the purpose is to set a personal goal and then try achieve it. It's not called the "novels that don't have illustrations in them challenge" and it's not some serious competition with a prize at the end if you meet the goal.

This is basically what I came to post; it's not a "novel reading challenge" it's s "reading challenge". And like others have said, would a Doctor Seuss book count but not Watchmen or Maus?

Also, to the movie question, I would count Breaking Bad in a movie watching challenge depending on the criteria I was setting for myself. If my goal was to watch a bunch of classic movies, then I wouldn't. If my goal was to watch more things I could discuss and analyze with people then sure, Breaking Bad is definitely more substantial than The Incredible Burt Wonderstone or a ton of other movies. It's a personal challenge, don't judge people's goals.

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

What you put on your list is a personal choice.
I know my list is 100 books.
I know I will do more than that.
I also know that some of them well end up being comic trades, some will be young adult novels and things I teach to classes in school.

That being said, stand alone short stories, single issues, children's books i read to my kid aren't on the list.

Ultimately, it is up to the individual as to why they are doing this. If you are doing the challenge just for shits, and you're just keeping track of what you're reading, it doesn't really matter.

If you are using your good reads challenge as some sort of status symbol, you've got more issues going on than the people using comic books in their list.

That being said, as an imperfect human being, seeing a comic trade now and then isn't a big deal, but when that is ALL a person counts, I get a little bummed over the lack of diversity.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Stravinsky posted:

So what's the point of counting comics as part of your reading challenge log?...

Comics/graphic novels are just as valid a written medium as a novel. I don't personally count individual issues, but entire story arcs in trade paperback or stand alone graphic novels like Watchmen are easily as substantial as any other work.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

adhuin posted:

The whole thing is personal challenge not a public competition. What others do with their challenge, shouldn't affect your personal goal.
It's also a nice way to discover new books or "books".

Personally I don't count my comic reads as they take lot less time to read than any Novel or novelette, but don't grudge people that do.

elbow posted:

But there's a difference between books read and novels read. Where do you draw the line, then? Does The Very Hungry Caterpillar count?

I think if you are putting down The Very Hungry Caterpillar on your list or the newspaper you are not really challenging yourself unless you are a young child. Instead its at best just another box you checked off on the way so you can say you read 100 "things" last year. If my challenge was to exercise everyday would it be to my best advantage to say that yesterday I exercised because I walked from my car to my cubicle even though I am easily capable of jogging a mile?

elbow posted:

I honestly think you don't. It's a challenge you set for yourself, not a contest. And yes, if part of your challenge is to read the newspaper more often then you should count it. It's a reading challenge, not a 'novel reading' challenge, nor a 'read poo poo Stravinsky approves of' challenge.

If it makes you feel better than everyone else to have a list of only Proper Novels then by all means go ahead and read those, but I don't give a poo poo about what other people count towards their goal, I just enjoy reading. You should try that.

Xik posted:

Do I personally care if you put down the morning paper on your list of books read? Not really, no. If that is your goal, go for it.

I would argue the difference between "book" and "graphic novel" isn't even really the same as the difference between a TV Show and Movie. It's more grey than that, probably akin to a Direct-to-DVD Movie like The Ark of Truth. It's a movie, but it's just the same as one of the double episode specials of Stargate that they had at the end of a season. Is it a TV Show or a Movie? More importantly, does anyone really care?

I would not go into the tv/iv and talk about Nikita A Fistful of Dollars. A book and a graphic novel are two different mediums to tell a story. Just because both are on paper and bound does not make them that similar.

Guy A. Person posted:

This is basically what I came to post; it's not a "novel reading challenge" it's s "reading challenge". And like others have said, would a Doctor Seuss book count but not Watchmen or Maus?

Also, to the movie question, I would count Breaking Bad in a movie watching challenge depending on the criteria I was setting for myself. If my goal was to watch a bunch of classic movies, then I wouldn't. If my goal was to watch more things I could discuss and analyze with people then sure, Breaking Bad is definitely more substantial than The Incredible Burt Wonderstone or a ton of other movies. It's a personal challenge, don't judge people's goals.

Would you go into a BSS comic reading challenge and list the Dune books then?

Stravinsky fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Feb 8, 2014

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

8one6 posted:

Comics/graphic novels are just as valid a written medium as a novel. I don't personally count individual issues, but entire story arcs in trade paperback or stand alone graphic novels like Watchmen are easily as substantial as any other work.

I'm not talking about the validity of comics as an art form. I read a bunch of Jim Woodring's stuff last week but I wouldn't talk about them in TBB reading challenge thread. Its a totally different medium.

Stravinsky fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Feb 8, 2014

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Stravinsky posted:

Would you go into a BSS comic reading challenge and list the Dune books then?

No because Dune isn't a comic. But comics are things you "read" and this is a "reading challenge". I don't personally add comics (or blogs, or long news articles, or stand alone essays) but other people do and who cares? And I would talk about Nikita in TV/IV if it pertained to the spin off shows.

Once again you're focusing on specific wording instead of just enjoying the challenge for yourself. Let everyone else choose how they want to do the challenge. The reason people are posting about it in this thread is for encouragement and you are doing the opposite of that.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Guy A. Person posted:

No because Dune isn't a comic. But comics are things you "read" and this is a "reading challenge". I don't personally add comics (or blogs, or long news articles, or stand alone essays) but other people do and who cares? And I would talk about Nikita in TV/IV if it pertained to the spin off shows.

Once again you're focusing on specific wording instead of just enjoying the challenge for yourself. Let everyone else choose how they want to do the challenge. The reason people are posting about it in this thread is for encouragement and you are doing the opposite of that.

As are you as well. I just want people to read a book. Not a sports page. Not a magazine. But a book. A loving book.

I honestly just want to encourage people to read an actual book/poetry/short story collection and put that on their list instead of Judge Dredd Case Files #2. I want to encourage them to be better readers and not settle for the fact that, well I read the D&D Monster Manual (4th Edition) and an anthology of Blondie comics so I will just put that down towards my goal. Honestly I do not think asking the question why comics are on a reading challenge list in TBB is going to make someone just decide to drop reading anything ever again. Or even reading the comic because they probably were going to do that anyway.

edit: Nikita was a bad example because I forgot that there was a series made out of it, but the point still stands.

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
My reading challenge is largely an effort to diminish my goodreads to-read shelf, which has a substantial number of trade paperback comics on it.

In your honor I'll be reading all comics for February. :smug:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Stravinsky posted:

I just want people to read a book. Not a sports page. Not a magazine. But a book. A loving book.

I honestly just want to encourage people to read an actual book/poetry/short story collection and put that on their list instead of Judge Dredd Case Files #2. I want to encourage them to be better readers and not settle for the fact that, well I read the D&D Monster Manual (4th Edition) and an anthology of Blondie comics so I will just put that down towards my goal.

A) Why do you even care? What are you getting out of that?

B) Who are you to say what makes someone a "better reader"? Why is some generic fantasy novel more valid than a graphic novel or RPG sourcebook?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Tiggum posted:

A) Why do you even care? What are you getting out of that?

B) Who are you to say what makes someone a "better reader"? Why is some generic fantasy novel more valid than a graphic novel or RPG sourcebook?

A) I like it when people better themselves/enrich thier lives. I'm not going to encourage people who say they are going to do fifty pull ups and then for a number of them just kinda stand on their toes like they actually pulled themselves over the bar. Should I really say wow good job your so strong?

B) Please tell me how the Third Edition of the D&D Players Handbook made you a better reader. How exactly did Hawkeye volume 5 lead you to appreciate writing?
Plus I honestly would not recommend someone read a schlocky fantasy novel and would try and nudge them away from generic elf dude trilogy or Warhammer fiction.

Stravinsky fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Feb 9, 2014

• Locked thread