Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

mlmp08 posted:

I may be wrong, but my understanding is that one pylon can carry 3 SDBs. Thus, an F-35 could carry 6x SDB and 2x AMRAAM. And our bombs are pretty loving accurate nowadays.

One BRU-61 carries 4 SDBs. So a standard loadout for a F-35 would be 8xSDB and 2xAMRAAM.

\/ The cool thing about the BRU-61 (not -57, that's the next gen rack for the F-16, got them crossed in my head) is that it uses the same suspension lug system as is utilized for Mk 83 and Mk 84 warheads. So the rack (carrying 4 SDBs) hooks up to the pylon just like you were loading a singular GBU-31 or GBU-32 or whatever. That means that if a given aircraft can carry a Mk 83 or Mk 84 warhead it is capable of physically carrying the BRU-61/SDBs, and as long as the aircraft has 1760 bus capability you're just a software upgrade for the SMS away from being able to employ SDBs. \/

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Feb 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

iyaayas01 posted:

One BRU-57 carries 4 SDBs. So a standard loadout for a F-35 would be 8xSDB and 2xAMRAAM.

Ah, cool. I found 4x loads on GIS, but wasn't sure if such pylons were on F-35s.

Schindler's Fist
Jul 22, 2004
Weasels! Get 'em off me! Aaaa!
That SADM article was what it was, but it also included a training film on arming and fusing the thing - scroll down, its on the right side. The author just recently got it FOIA'd. No launch codes or keys for the SADM, a single combination lock keeps idle hands away from a crude mechanical timer, and a switch.
http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2014/01/29/the_littlest_boy_cold_war_backpack_nuke

Schindler's Fist fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Feb 1, 2014

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

To re-emphasize, holy gently caress. Never had one post take me back to the 80's Tom Clancy BS and make it actually real like this did. Thanks, man... Once again, thread delivers in a crazy way. How did we make it out of the cold war?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

iyaayas01 posted:

you're just a software upgrade for the SMS away from being able to employ SDBs. \/

So the F-35 is still hosed.

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

Dating tips from the United States Navy, very cringeworthy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSywqUZT0y8

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

"Be late. This will make a great first impression."

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005

Count Sacula posted:

To re-emphasize, holy gently caress. Never had one post take me back to the 80's Tom Clancy BS and make it actually real like this did. Thanks, man... Once again, thread delivers in a crazy way. How did we make it out of the cold war?

Uh, doesn't 50 Foot Ant post non-stop lies and bullshit to practice his fiction writing? I remember a lot of completely ridiculous stories about his wife in Iraq and lots of descriptions of a decaying child's sexual organs.

Its all nonsense.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)
I would (and do) suffer thru weeks of shitposting by Grover and Mortabis for one 50 Foot Ant story. :allears:

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

Uh, doesn't 50 Foot Ant post non-stop lies and bullshit to practice his fiction writing? I remember a lot of completely ridiculous stories about his wife in Iraq and lots of descriptions of a decaying child's sexual organs.

Its all nonsense.

Fuuuuuck this is why we can't have nice things.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

dubzee posted:

Dating tips from the United States Navy, very cringeworthy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSywqUZT0y8

This is goddamned amazing.

Count Sacula posted:

Fuuuuuck this is why we can't have nice things.

Oh come on, this is loving Something Awful. People have been telling bullshit stories to entertain forums since this place first started. Do I need to tell you the truth about the GBS superstars?

Or Santa and the Easter Bunny while we're at it?

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
50FA has posted a lot of really good stories in a couple of GiP threads. I don't know which ones if any are true, and which ones if any are not true. I don't really care either.

I've said this before; whether or not they are true, they have the same color and feel as true, and that's fine by me. To make this comparison yet again, The Things They Carried, written by Tim O'Brien based on his experience in Vietnam, is also not true. The stories are fictional. But they're the kind of things that soldiers in Vietnam experienced, and many of them are based on O'Brien's personal experiences or those he heard of secondhand, with new names and faces. In his words, "there is a kind of truth to them, which may be more true than the real truth." Other Cold War era vets in GiP have stated that 50FA's stories at least very realistically depict what life was like for soldiers in Europe. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and accept them as fact, but even if they're fake, they're still very entertaining and informative.

And I humbly request that he keep posting them :shobon:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

Its all nonsense.

No, enough of it is true that everyone should be absolutely dismayed at the reality of the situation. Even his fake stories are closer to the truth than what you see in press releases and Clancy novels.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Next you're going to tell me that Hakan's stories were made up.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Mortabis posted:

I've said this before; whether or not they are true, they have the same color and feel as true, and that's fine by me. To make this comparison yet again, The Things They Carried, written by Tim O'Brien based on his experience in Vietnam, is also not true. The stories are fictional. But they're the kind of things that soldiers in Vietnam experienced, and many of them are based on O'Brien's personal experiences or those he heard of secondhand, with new names and faces. In his words, "there is a kind of truth to them, which may be more true than the real truth."

Not commenting on 50FA's fidelity in any way but this "it's fictional but feels true enough that I want to believe it" is a real dangerous thing. You pair it with Poe's Law, it self-reinforces and amplifies, and you end up with quite a bit of the sillier-sounding political reporting on 'the other side', which of course includes most of D&D.

"Well this story about politican X being a bigot/commie/babykiller/ZOG turned out to be totally fabricated, but I don't like them, so I'll repeat it ironically as true until I forget it isn't"

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)

Snowdens Secret posted:

Not commenting on 50FA's fidelity in any way but this "it's fictional but feels true enough that I want to believe it" is a real dangerous thing. You pair it with Poe's Law, it self-reinforces and amplifies, and you end up with quite a bit of the sillier-sounding political reporting on 'the other side', which of course includes most of D&D.

"Well this story about politican X being a bigot/commie/babykiller/ZOG turned out to be totally fabricated, but I don't like them, so I'll repeat it ironically as true until I forget it isn't"

Jesus Christ.

The worst part about 50FA stories is after he posts a decent one, the next two pages are filled with self-righteous goons bickering over whether or not his stories are true; full of furious outrage that they are being deceived. Who gives a poo poo? I'm not basing any major life decisions over anything any goon says, let alone 50FA and neither should you. I choose to believe what he says, but if it later turns out that he's just an excellent writer of fiction, so what?

YOU DUMB GOONS ARE WHY WE CANNOT HAVE NICE THINGS!

Gaaaaaah!

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Schindler's Fist posted:

That SADM article was what it was, but it also included a training film on arming and fusing the thing - scroll down, its on the right side. The author just recently got it FOIA'd. No launch codes or keys for the SADM, a single combination lock keeps idle hands away from a crude mechanical timer, and a switch.
http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2014/01/29/the_littlest_boy_cold_war_backpack_nuke

That part where the bomb would take 'about' X long to blow up was pretty horrifying and hilarious at the same time. Did the Russians beat us to egg timer technology also?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Snowdens Secret posted:

I'm pretty sure I've never actually seen this happen in D&D. Though now that I reexamine the wording of your sentence, I can't tell if that's actually what you're talking about. Still, it's a familiar trait of the most widely spread myths that they build on what someone wants to believe already.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Oxford Comma posted:

I'm not basing any major life decisions over anything any goon says....

*looks over at safes full of milsurp rifles*

Uhhhh.....

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Mr. Despair posted:

So the F-35 is still hosed.

Still? Was there a time it wasn't hosed?

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Oxford Comma posted:

Who gives a poo poo? I'm not basing any major life decisions over anything any goon says, let alone 50FA and neither should you. I choose to believe what he says, but if it later turns out that he's just an excellent writer of fiction, so what?

I feel like you're missing the obvious point that this is (mostly) a history thread which people read to learn about history. It definitely matters whether a post is true or not. It's a thread full of posts which are trying to reflect the real world. In that sense it's inappropriate and misleading to post something which ostensibly does the same thing but is in fact completely fictional.

(e: I have no idea whether 50FA's post is completely fictional or not)

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

50 Foot Ant posted:

EDIT: I could get into some of the weirder Cold War poo poo that went on at the end and following, but then I'll sound like that crazy guy who hangs around outside 7-11 with a tinfoil hat on his head waving a badly Xeroxed copy of his manifesto.

Some of my old friends and I laugh that the best way they kept OPSEC was exposing us to so much poo poo that if we tried to talk about it we sounded like crazy people, because who believes your crazy drunken uncle who's ranting about shoulder fired nuclear weapons?

You really should, tinfoil or not!

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

fuf posted:

I feel like you're missing the obvious point that this is (mostly) a history thread which people read to learn about history. It definitely matters whether a post is true or not. It's a thread full of posts which are trying to reflect the real world. In that sense it's inappropriate and misleading to post something which ostensibly does the same thing but is in fact completely fictional.

(e: I have no idea whether 50FA's post is completely fictional or not)
You completely missed the point of Life of Pi :colbert:

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

grover posted:

Moms make the best meals?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Blistex posted:

Moms make the best meals?

I love you.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

grover posted:

If it was actually a story about 50 Foot Ant coming to terms with the death of his parents then I can only apologise :ohdear:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

fuf posted:

I feel like you're missing the obvious point that this is (mostly) a history thread which people read to learn about history.

There's enough Fulda Gap fanfic, Clancyesque book/movie references, and alt-history crap to call bullshit on this. Yes, mostly, you're right, but to draw the line at 50FA is completely inconsistent.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Godholio posted:

There's enough Fulda Gap fanfic, Clancyesque book/movie references, and alt-history crap to call bullshit on this. Yes, mostly, you're right, but to draw the line at 50FA is completely inconsistent.

yeah but we all know that stuff is fictional. The problem is when it's not clear. I'm just saying it's not cool to post something that gives every semblance of being one more interesting story about the cold war if it's not actually true.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

50FA: How did you guys handle soldiers on post who spent hours bitching and moaning about the relative truth of things that were said in the bar? I hope it involved chemical weapons.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Godholio posted:

The problem is in the representation.

Historians have no trouble at all using period fiction, especially fiction written by people who participated in events similar to what they're describing, to make certain types of points or draw certain conclusions. Tons of Holocaust survivors, for example, chose to write works of fiction that they felt expressed certain core truths about daily life in the camps. You can't use those to say with certainty that thing X happened on day Y in location Z, but they're great for describing how people were impacted by the realities of what they were going through.

Let's assume for a moment that 50FA's stories are all just that - stories, works of fiction, and that he really did serve during the time he did and in the manner that he's broadly described. Someone writing about, for example, morale in troops deployed to Germany post-Vietnam could draw upon them really profitably. Whether or not the specifics are true is largely unimportant, because the argument can be made that at least some soldiers felt this way, as is attested by the fact that it was written at all and the fact that it was well-received.

On the other hand, if it's represented as factual it has to at least be broadly, well, factual. This is a huge problem when it comes to the use of memoir literature in history. You could make a library out of all the books that historians won't touch with a 10 foot pole because the author - who insists that the events he is describing are as they really happened - fucks up and describes some things which are provably impossible. Sometimes the details do matter, and for that type of history you really have to examine whether the author is credible or not.

The other problem is the relative anonymity of the internet and what I like to call the "Stephen Crane problem." 50FA could be exactly what he says he is. He could also just be a very gifted writer and war nerd who's researched enough on his period of choice to write convincingly enough that certain aspects ring true with people who were there. If he turned out to be some bright 20 year old kid there might be an interesting article in there about how the millennial generation understands and processes the Cold War, but it does gently caress all for you if you're actually trying to talk about issues surrounding the Cold War itself. A great example of this is The Red Badge of Courage, a book still assigned by English teachers (and the odd unwitting US History teacher) who want kids to have a "veteran's eye view" of the US Civil War. The problem is that it wasn't written by a vet, it was written by a guy who was born in 1873 and is pure fiction from beginning to end. It's a great work for discussing how people in the Gilded Age dealt with and understood the Civil War, but it does gently caress all to tell you about the actual motivations of the men who were actually doing the fighting. Indeed, scholarship based on work with contemporary diaries, letters home, etc. indicates that it's pretty much overly romanticized bullshit.

To really draw this into focus, think about this question: how serious was the issue of drug abuse in the US Army between the end of Vietnam and the Gulf War? How much credence do you assign to a 50FA work? How would you figure out whether or not his (admittedly very entertaining) tales are factual, broadly representative, of purely imaginative?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Let's not pretend that this thread is anything more than it really is: a bunch of internet mil-spergs who enjoy looking at cool pictures and videos about military poo poo and discussing related issues. If you're in here to really learn the ins and outs you're probably in the wrong place and a military or intelligence agency recruiting office is probably where you should go. The difference between this thread and, say, the Ask/Tell Military History thread is that in here we have a lot of people who've gathered their information from the internet and the occasional reliably-sourced book, along with a smattering of actual veterans who are limited in what they can confirm/deny/speculate. Most of the regular contributors in the other thread are people with actual education (several of us have masters degrees in the field, and there are a couple of PhDs and PhD candidates).

This thread, while fun as hell, is as academically legit as citing wikipedia. Which is about where I'd rank most of 50FA's posts, actually. Close enough to the truth to give you a quick understanding of the issue, but for most issues if you actually want to learn about it, you're going to have to put a little more effort in than browsing somethingawful.com.

You probably disagree, but I'll also toss in that by now 50FA is about as notorious as bigpeeler in these threads and only the most uninformed reader is going to take his posts as gospel.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
"This thread is a rollicking yarn of chills and thrills that occasionally educates and sometimes obfuscates." - priznat, SomethingAwful awful poster

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
"I laughed. I cried. I fired 104 aerial rockets and all of them missed." - StandardVC10, SomethingAwful white noise

Crescendo
Apr 24, 2005

Strafe those atheistic degenerates. Color them green with lots of holes.
Here's some pretty pictures for you all then:

:siren: Click for 1920x1080 resolution :siren:

Edit: Fixed table breakage as recommended.

Crescendo fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Feb 2, 2014

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
:gizz: :gizz: :gizz: :gizz: :gizz: :gizz: :gizz: :gizz:

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

FYI with imgur it automatically makes lower-resolution copies when you upload images. Just put "s", "m" or "l" at the end of the image name for a small, medium or large thumbnail. Then make that image a link to the bigger image. Examples:

Then you won't break tables.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I have to say it's all iyaayas' fault that when I saw the two photos of a ton of F-16s on the runway together I thought "man I bet mx was pissed they had to do all that work"

On the other hand, it's a segue into a question I've got. Take a look at this video of an F-16 taking off and flying around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8Rb-D02JVY

Des Moines ANG, 132nd, and made sometime between 2002-2007 based on the pilot's rank but I think it's about 2005-ish based on the file. It's clearly got some official status since there's no way you'd be this close to the flightline without permission. The aerial refueling is probably the 185th Air Refueling Wing, out of Sioux City.

Anyone know how I could maybe track down a version with sound? Either way, I've almost certainly seen this guy fly since I spent a lot of time in DSM where there's nothing to do but watch when they sent up a flight of F-16s. I've been unsuccessful trying to search by pilot and/or the 132nd.

Psion fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Feb 2, 2014

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Godholio posted:

Let's not pretend that this thread is anything more than it really is: a bunch of internet mil-spergs who enjoy looking at cool pictures and videos about military poo poo and discussing related issues. If you're in here to really learn the ins and outs you're probably in the wrong place and a military or intelligence agency recruiting office is probably where you should go. The difference between this thread and, say, the Ask/Tell Military History thread is that in here we have a lot of people who've gathered their information from the internet and the occasional reliably-sourced book, along with a smattering of actual veterans who are limited in what they can confirm/deny/speculate. Most of the regular contributors in the other thread are people with actual education (several of us have masters degrees in the field, and there are a couple of PhDs and PhD candidates).

This thread, while fun as hell, is as academically legit as citing wikipedia. Which is about where I'd rank most of 50FA's posts, actually. Close enough to the truth to give you a quick understanding of the issue, but for most issues if you actually want to learn about it, you're going to have to put a little more effort in than browsing somethingawful.com.

Yeah I get what you're saying and I pretty much agree. I guess I do tend to think of this thread as doing the same kind of thing as the Ask / Tell military history one.

But I also think it's a cool kind of middle ground between academic discourse and meaningless banter. There's a reason we all love it when someone writes a big effort post - it's because we're learning about something. No one is going to cite a forum thread, but for someone like me who is only interested in this stuff in a casual way, the tone of these threads is ideal and I learn a lot of interesting stuff. It's useful when people point out stuff that might be inaccurate, which is why I wanted to question Oxford Comma's super-angry "goons ruin everything by discussing whether it's true or not" post.

quote:

You probably disagree, but I'll also toss in that by now 50FA is about as notorious as bigpeeler in these threads and only the most uninformed reader is going to take his posts as gospel.

I'd appreciate a little consideration for uninformed readers like me. That was 50FA's only lengthy post in this whole thread and I had no idea he was a forums superstar.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

F-16s always just look so loving happy to me. Those intakes make them look :buddy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

Cyrano4747 posted:

F-16s always just look so loving happy to me. Those intakes make them look :buddy:

They're just happy to be here man.