Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Bonapartisan posted:

I thought I would try to play a Muslim ruler after hearing about decadence and wanting to try out the mechanics and all that. I usually play as a female to start off my dynasty, I guess because I'm a woman myself? I don't know. Anyway. Turns out this works poorly with Muslims as you can't matrilineally marry. :(

It was a nice short playthrough though.

Not just the matrilinearlly bit, but females can't be rulers at all upon succession. This forces you to use daughters for alliance building rather than building up your dynasty. You even get fewer mercenary groups and only one holy order available, again to force military alliances.

It really does feel like playing as a Muslim ruler means you must Always Be Conquering (especially since it helps with the decadence mechanic) and changes the game. At least the casus bellis are better - you get "invasion of England" instead of "invasion of county and then wait a while unless you want to kill your prestige."

As an aside, "invasion of Rome" really does kick the Pope out. In my game he was somewhere in Germany (I was surprised it wasn't Avignon or something.) Every once in a while he tried sending an invading force down, but with the Scots being Fraticelli, Aquitaine being Lollard, etc. the invasion force was pretty pathetic. Moral authority may be a bit overpowered, but I guess losing Rome would probably have caused a lot of problems with the faithful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
44 hours and I still don't get this game. I tried to play as the Prince of Kiev and when I died all my titles went away and I don't know what I could have done to stop it. I tried giving out titles to lower my demense, but in the end I lost all my poo poo except like 3 provinces.

Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

Finally just said 'gently caress it' and gave up in my Croatian game :(

Things just kinda stalled for me and in the end no amount of stabbing would destabilise the Byzantines enough. Just got too much unrest and went terribly in debt due to the last war. Them declaring on me right when I was about to join a crusade, then beating me in a way and having their king die so they could declare again destroyed me.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Jakse posted:

44 hours and I still don't get this game. I tried to play as the Prince of Kiev and when I died all my titles went away and I don't know what I could have done to stop it. I tried giving out titles to lower my demense, but in the end I lost all my poo poo except like 3 provinces.

Don't use Gavelkind succession.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Don't use Gavelkind succession.

Gavelkind is literally the worst, and there's a reason why everyone in history either got rid of it or was conquered by someone. Elective is probably the best in the game since it makes the senior vassals happy, and lets you choose the genius son/daughter; the worst you'll see upon succession is a few people wanting independence who can be bribed or crushed, and the 'lower crown authority' types which isn't the end of the world anyway even if it happens.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Ofaloaf posted:

I just don't go for the SWMH option in HIP. You can simply tell the installer to ignore that bit.

I hate HIP because of the stupid drat trait requirements on every single decision and it spams you (maybe this is from VIET?) with events that give you 1 prestige or 1 piety. The included map is truly awful (albeit pretty) but yeah, that part is optional.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It's 80 for everyone.

Nope, it's different for every faction type. Crown Authority is only 50 to get them to leave for example, Independence is 80, etc. But yes AFAIK the value is always the same for members as it is for leaders.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Gavelkind owns, it means you actually have to give a poo poo about keeping your vassals happy. It's actually pretty trivial to game - only have one of the highest level title, and wee that's it you win.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Tulip posted:

Gavelkind owns, it means you actually have to give a poo poo about keeping your vassals happy. It's actually pretty trivial to game - only have one of the highest level title, and wee that's it you win.

It's trivial to "game" by doing exactly the thing it would do if you let it - handing out most of your kingdom titles at the Empire levels, or duchies at the kingdom level.

This isn't gaming the system, that's being a subservient bitch to it. Gavelkind cannot be "gamed" in the sense that elective can, by loading the votes with your dynasty.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Tulip posted:

That's not always the best solution. I had a game recently where, as a pagan emperor, my heir inherited the empire, one kingdom, and one county outside that kingdom, and my second son inherited 3 kingdoms, 2 duchies, and 8 counties.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Pakled posted:

That's not always the best solution. I had a game recently where, as a pagan emperor, my heir inherited the empire, one kingdom, and one county outside that kingdom, and my second son inherited 3 kingdoms, 2 duchies, and 8 counties.

I usually gift out every single county i get whoever it's de jure for so i basically run 1 county almost the entire time.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
The other thing Elective lets you do is hand the crown to your grandkid (or great-grandkid, this has happened once to me) - this lets you minimize the number of times you have to deal with the new ruler penalty. I guess Ultimogeniture lets you do something similar. Minimizing that - and getting that sweet long reign bonus - is a huge deal.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Last Emperor posted:

Finally just said 'gently caress it' and gave up in my Croatian game :(

Things just kinda stalled for me and in the end no amount of stabbing would destabilise the Byzantines enough. Just got too much unrest and went terribly in debt due to the last war. Them declaring on me right when I was about to join a crusade, then beating me in a way and having their king die so they could declare again destroyed me.

Croatia being dejure Byzantine really pretty much sets it up to being destroyed every time by the Byzantines, which I think, really isn't fun. Also, I kinda think the BE should have something to make it more unstable, maybe strong enough Douxs get a claim to the throne so that there are fairly common civil wars.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Pakled posted:

It's still better than not having the empire title and instead having two of your four kingdoms pass out of your realm completely.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Gorelab posted:

Also, I kinda think the BE should have something to make it more unstable, maybe strong enough Douxs get a claim to the throne so that there are fairly common civil wars.

I don't think I've ever had a game where Byzantium wasn't awesomely unstable. :confused:

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Yeah every game I've ever played the Byzantium fractures every 30 or so years as every duke rebels, then gets crushed, then waits until the ruler dies, then rebels, then gets crushed, endlessly forever. Makes for really good targets as muslim/mongol/zoroastirans, since every few decades you can grab an extra two or three duchies if you're quick.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
1066 Byzantines have two families who will be inheriting claims on the throne to start, as well as an already-started foreign war that should nuke half of the neutral dukes. 867 Byzantines have an Iconoclast in line for the throne. I don't know how you could possibly make them less stable.

rvm
May 6, 2013

Torrannor posted:

Except Mongols and Aztecs. Oh god, don't stab the Mongol or Aztec leaders.

Except when the heir is content and cynical. In which case, as long as you're not actually at war with them, stab away.

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che
If you really want to stab hordes, you stab the generals, not the leaders.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

In my game there only usually seems to be a short period of instabilty the emperor almost always crushes everyone very quickly and then expands into Sejulk lands and into Croatia/Apulia which have no chance at all to stand against them.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

jpmeyer posted:

How do you find out who the generals are?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
^^^^
They show up on the battle screen. As soon as your army runs into their army, pause the game, select the battle so you can see both sides' army details and leaders, pick the most troublesome general (or the one with the lowest feudal rank, if you're short on cash) and start spamming assassination attempts till it works.

It depends a lot on random chance. Rather than just revoking titles, the AI emperor prefers to castrate rebellious dukes (which obviously pisses them off) and then release them back to their duchies without confiscating their territory, which results in a very disgruntled set of vassals ready to revolt immediately after a war against the Muslims goes badly and decimates the emperor's levies. That's pretty much how my Byzantine vassal game went - the Byz was an unstoppable juggernaut until it took Jersualem and triggered Jihads, and the combined Muslim forces finally managed to grind down the emperor's troops, and after the war ended I started my rebellion and basically every single vassal joined it.

Main Paineframe fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Feb 3, 2014

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
My Byzantine Empire is actually really goddamn stable right now, but it's the 1300s and Europe's mostly stabilized.

I'm currently in the process of kicking it all over and conquering everybody, but apart from that, it's really been quite stable the last fifty years or so.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Gorelab posted:

Croatia being dejure Byzantine really pretty much sets it up to being destroyed every time by the Byzantines, which I think, really isn't fun. Also, I kinda think the BE should have something to make it more unstable, maybe strong enough Douxs get a claim to the throne so that there are fairly common civil wars.

We need a 4th crusade mechanic.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Baron Porkface posted:

We need a 4th crusade mechanic.

We need a Children's Crusade mechanic.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

So I bought sons of Abraham and started a Jewish khazar game. Is it just me or is the implementation of the Jewish faith just really shoddy and lazy? They're worse than the Catholics in vanilla, just one event to be getting on with which gives piety and prestige without any interesting flavour, in addition to having a really restricted gene pool for eugenic shenanigans. I really feel like they could have added more stuff.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

lenoon posted:

So I bought sons of Abraham and started a Jewish khazar game. Is it just me or is the implementation of the Jewish faith just really shoddy and lazy? They're worse than the Catholics in vanilla, just one event to be getting on with which gives piety and prestige without any interesting flavour, in addition to having a really restricted gene pool for eugenic shenanigans. I really feel like they could have added more stuff.

Considering that the Khazars were the last time Jews ruled anything before the creation of modern Israel I don't really know what you expect. Of course the gene pool is shallow but that is an accurate depiction of medieval life. And I guess they were especially hesitant to invent some fantasy events because of the controversy naturally surrounding Judaism, and the fact that it is a religion that is still practiced today, in contrast to the ancient Norse or Romuva faiths.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

lenoon posted:

You get a few more decisions when you conquer Jerusalem, but nothing mindblowing. I can't really find a benefit to being Jewish rather than Christian or Orthodox, but I started converting the entire world (now property of the re-established Roman Empire) to Judaism regardless (needed something to do for the last 200 years of the game).

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Yeah. And the Celebrate Passover event isn't even changed when you own Jerusalem (and converted it to Judaism). But I'm having a lot of fun in my Spanish Jew game. Zealot Israel :getin:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Civilized Fishbot posted:

We need a Children's Crusade mechanic.

Your 14 year old genius heir with all 20+ stats just joined the Children's Crusade! :keke:

:xcom:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Fintilgin posted:

Your 14 year old genius heir with all 20+ stats just joined the Children's Crusade! :keke:

:xcom:

Yes, the XCOM smilie is quite appropriate. For many situations. What, your genius heir died of a common cold? You cruel, arbitrary slothful second son is your new heir? :xcom:

Your new king died in a battle with his 20,000 troops against 1000 peasant rabble? :xcom:

After losing half your troops in the desert of Arabia the Caliph is calling a jihad for your lands? :xcom:

We need a CK2 smilie.

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

Torrannor posted:

Yes, the XCOM smilie is quite appropriate. For many situations. What, your genius heir died of a common cold? You cruel, arbitrary slothful second son is your new heir? :xcom:

Your new king died in a battle with his 20,000 troops against 1000 peasant rabble? :xcom:

After losing half your troops in the desert of Arabia the Caliph is calling a jihad for your lands? :xcom:

We need a CK2 smilie.

There already is :ese:

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Torrannor posted:

Considering that the Khazars were the last time Jews ruled anything before the creation of modern Israel I don't really know what you expect. Of course the gene pool is shallow but that is an accurate depiction of medieval life. And I guess they were especially hesitant to invent some fantasy events because of the controversy naturally surrounding Judaism, and the fact that it is a religion that is still practiced today, in contrast to the ancient Norse or Romuva faiths.

The Kingdom of Semien was a Jewish kingdom in northwestern ethiopia that lasted centuries after the fall of the Khazars. They are in some mods, but they really ought to be on the vanilla map.

Neif
Jul 26, 2012

jpmeyer posted:

This is great advice, in my current game as the Scottish King I had a claimant return event where some distant cousin turns up with 15'000 troops to pay the iron price for his throne.

Already being involved in a closely fought war with someone else I simply did not have the resources to take on that many troops (I think the most I could muster was maybe 8k?). So with a 25% chance for a successful assassination I gambled on Lady Luck and holy poo poo it worked, Pretender dead and his army vanished.

I was discovered and my king ended up with the 'kinslayer' trait but it was a small price to pay for keeping my kingdom.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Does anyone have any tips for being Jewish Khazaria starting at the earliest date? You get a pretty big starting kingdom which is nice, but the HRE is to your west, the Caliphate to your south and the Tengri to the north. I'm attempting an Ironman game with the objective of restoring Israel but it's hard to declare war when it means multiple kingdoms and their deathstacks joining in against me.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

I wish factions were accounted for in the threats tab.

What is the relationship number i need before vassals will stop leading factions?

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
If I'm reading the thing on the wiki right, it's 50 for crown authority factions, 75 for succession and 80 for independence.

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Torrannor posted:

As a Viking I can 'reform the faith' and raid Egypt with no problems. As a catholic I can become a lollard king and unseat the papacy. If I wanted to have historical realism in my 'I am the welsh orthodox ruler of Byzantium and restorer of the Roman Empire' game I'd have it. But I would like a fun and interesting game. More events! More ridiculousness! Feasts and blots give humorous and useful events and hunts give you traits, Passover gives you the same 100 prestige and 100 piety every year. Useful, yes. Fun, no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
How is Zoroastrianism for events and fun times? I was thinking of having a go at reuniting Persia.

• Locked thread