Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

An Enormous Boner posted:

Or Jimmy, I think. They should reschedule.

Oh gently caress. Yeah if Jimmy and Colin ain't there then there's no point in even doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
Did they even say what the "supershow" would entail? Because if it's just having Lady Di, Sandy Kane and Denny in studio, that's not exactly instant radio gold.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Cromulent posted:

Did they even say what the "supershow" would entail? Because if it's just having Lady Di, Sandy Kane and Denny in studio, that's not exactly instant radio gold.

Well, you're wrong, and it is, BUT I think that Lady Di is way more fun when Marion is also there.

Plus Jimmy and Colin ought to both be in, of course.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

We watched our friends grow up together
And we saw them as they fell
Some of them fell into Heaven
Some of them fell into Hell
The portion of today's show with Rogan and Gervais in studio was just amazing. They even went all the way to 11. And of course Penn and Louis earlier in the week was golden as well. I was very happy with both shows this week, I've gotta say. Ron and Fez was great this week as well.

kolby
Oct 29, 2004
So the Gervais/Rogan thing turns out good? I'm 6 minutes in and they are kind of ignoring Rogan and it feels uncomfortable. Just as long as it turns around.

Amphion
Jun 10, 2012

All we know is... he's called The Stig.
They talk about animals for an hour and a half but it's good.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
Ricky is always great on the show, I'm enjoying it so far. My favourite was the time they just talked about Buck Angel for ages, though.

kolby
Oct 29, 2004
I love Ricky too...I was just a little nervous because he and Joe had never met. They end up getting along fine and I'm enjoying it.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

So, Philip Seymour Hoffman is dead. I gotta imagine they'll talk about that as I believe he's responsible for quite a few sound clips and they all (at least I know Jimmy and Ant do)love his characters.

alted2
May 3, 2003

Cacafuego posted:

So, Philip Seymour Hoffman is dead. I gotta imagine they'll talk about that as I believe he's responsible for quite a few sound clips and they all (at least I know Jimmy and Ant do)love his characters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ft8Z5VPTHS0

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Oh gently caress, really?! After all that Twister audio on youtube I listened to the boys making fun of the movie...

The Extreme :(

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

Cacafuego posted:

This was never discussed on the show, and I only heard about it through a chance listening of a Nick DiPaolo podcast, but Jimmy actually had Thanksgiving with Hoffman this past year. Apparently Louie CK had a big get-together at his place for Thanksgiving, and invited the likes of Bob Kelly, Jimmy, DiPaolo, and also Phillip Seymour Hoffman. Nick didn't say much about it, except that Hoffman was absolutely obsessed with this cornbread that he brought to bake, and was constantly tending to it in the oven.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

I bet Anthony has something to say about that America the Beautiful ad Coke ran with the multiculturalism.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Cromulent posted:

but Jimmy actually had Thanksgiving with Hoffman this past year.

Oh boy, I can't wait for an hour of Jimmy talking about addiction tomorrow.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

There's really no question that Jimmy is/was a serious addict when you listen to stories of his early life. It's hard to listen to him sometimes because he has zero experience with true slips in his adult life but I don't doubt for a second that he's a hard core alcoholic and would probably not be alive right now if he kept drinking. I don't think dealing with that ever stops.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

His stories sound no different than any college kid who "binge drank."

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Looks like Barca is going to be eating Fez's toenails.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

therealjon_ posted:

His stories sound no different than any college kid who "binge drank."

They sound wildly different. What stories reminded you of college drinking?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

They sound wildly different. What stories reminded you of college drinking?

He got drunk and acted like a douchey teenager because he was one. "I got drunk and walked around with a knife. I got drunk and called the FBI." I got drunk on Christmas day after getting in a fight with my family, vomited black poo poo all over my friend's bathroom, blacked out in his hallway for a few hours and then I spent the next three days vomited every hour on the hour. Doesn't mean I was an alcoholic, just that I was an immature idiot.

It's a good thing he doesn't drink because he probably would take it too far like everything else in his life but the fact he pretends like he knows being an alcoholic/addict because he did some stupid things while drunk and went to rehab at 17 is annoying as poo poo.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
He clearly is a sex addict, so maybe he was/is an alcoholic.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Call Me Charlie posted:

He got drunk and acted like a douchey teenager because he was one. "I got drunk and walked around with a knife. I got drunk and called the FBI." I got drunk on Christmas day after getting in a fight with my family, vomited black poo poo all over my friend's bathroom, blacked out in his hallway for a few hours and then I spent the next three days vomited every hour on the hour. Doesn't mean I was an alcoholic, just that I was an immature idiot.

It's a good thing he doesn't drink because he probably would take it too far like everything else in his life but the fact he pretends like he knows being an alcoholic/addict because he did some stupid things while drunk and went to rehab at 17 is annoying as poo poo.

I think that gets to me as well: Jimmy probably had a very severe problem for at teenager (not to mention how hard he is on himself in general for not being absolutely perfect), but it's hard to measure that on the same scale as people like Ant who have been drinking for eons and have done some monumentally stupid things. Jimmy, in this light, doesn't really compete and came off pretty drat lucky all things considered.

ChristianDB
Jun 29, 2008
As annoying as it is that Jimmy talks about his addiction, he knows himself better than a few bums on a forum. Ants tolerance is high, he knows how to control himself and all he's really doing is destroying HIS body. He isn't drunk driving, coming in drunk to work etc. Jimmy won't eat rum cake in fear he'll relapse. That tells me that Jimmy's experiences scared the poo poo out of him.

Equate it too the most horrible hangover you've ever had. Goldschlagger hangover, where you were vomiting gold pepper flakes and your rear end in a top hat burned for days. You couldn't squeeze out a pea without biting a sock it was so swollen. Now, the smart thing to do is never drink Goldschlagger again. Jimmy just did that with alcohol. Sure he might've not hit the rock bottom that makes you say "jesus loving christ" but to him, it's probably the worst time in his life. Remember, jimmy comes from a pretty well adjusted family.

He talks about addiction because that's his role on the show. He's most likely a sex addict or just has an addictive personality. I met tons of dweebs who never touched alcohol in their lives but played WoW 12 hours a day. You hear stories about couples who let their baby starve to death or put their children in a closet and you're like "gently caress". Most of the time it's never that extreme, it's usually that they lost their job/girlfriend/ dropped out of school. To us, it's pretty dumb but that is a clear sign of addiction.

Jimmy knows how to articulate addiction and he has a platform to talk about it. Ant isn't going to admit he's addicted and Opie is a square with no life experience except radio and being a caddy.

Just my two cents.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

I thought Jimmy did some pretty scary poo poo, or am I blurring all that in my memory with Vos's incessant tales of scrounging for coke?

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

None of it sounded any different than what typical white trash teenagers in NJ do to kill time.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

therealjon_ posted:

None of it sounded any different than what typical white trash teenagers in NJ do to kill time.

Seriously? I know a ton of lovely deep south people and nobody would ever walk down the street with a knife hoping that the cops would shoot them. His "pranks" were also completely sociopathic and horrible and not at all normal drunk teenage behavior.

Jimmy obviously can't speak for the 'normal' adult experience of regular addiction/relapse but he's clearly got an addictive personality and is without question an alcoholic. He might run his mouth a little more than he should but I can't fault him.

His behavior made him realize he would be dead if he kept drinking.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
I'm sure Jimmy is a freak and has no self control but since he's a person in his mid-fourties, I don't think his experiences as a seventeen year-old makes him out to be the authority on all sorts of addiction everywhere. I'm pretty sure The (B-B-B-)Boys did some hard drugs for a while and Ant is still quite the drunk, but Ex-Addict Jimmy pipes in whenever someone gets busted for sex addiction or gambling or anything.

I'm sure he knows what he's talking about, but his basis for being the arbiter of addiction is getting drunk as a high school kid. Almost 30 years later, it has to be irrelevant to the point that he's on at least equal footing with everyone else.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Morter posted:

I'm sure Jimmy is a freak and has no self control but since he's a person in his mid-fourties, I don't think his experiences as a seventeen year-old makes him out to be the authority on all sorts of addiction everywhere. I'm pretty sure The (B-B-B-)Boys did some hard drugs for a while and Ant is still quite the drunk, but Ex-Addict Jimmy pipes in whenever someone gets busted for sex addiction or gambling or anything.

I'm sure he knows what he's talking about, but his basis for being the arbiter of addiction is getting drunk as a high school kid. Almost 30 years later, it has to be irrelevant to the point that he's on at least equal footing with everyone else.

I don't think any of them did hard drugs but yeah I agree with you. Still, I think that Jimmy certainly has an addictive personality and is an addict, and it's not at all a stretch to say that. He might not be able to speak from experience in the same way that many many many comedians can (let alone internet people), but he isn't faking it. That's all I mean.

He's never had his life hosed up like a 'real' drunk or drug addict would and I don't think anyone could possibly argue that.

I just think he can recognize the behaviors and patterns that addict type people have. I think he 'gets it' to the extent anyone could have when it hasn't ruined his life.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

I don't think any of them did hard drugs but yeah I agree with you.

Ant did a poo poo load of coke. Not that this takes away from your point at all, but I like to share my knowledge of greasy long island radio personalities.

Peter North
Apr 23, 2003
HEY STANLEY, LET'S GO DRAIN THE ENGINE OIL AND POUR SOME HOT OIL ON EM.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Peter North posted:

HEY WHORE, HAVE SOME MUSTARD

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Peter North posted:

Gotta say that impression was spot on because every school in this area had that lovely kid who wore Gravedigger shirts and talked just like that. That impression creeped me out how accurate it is.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Peter North posted:

Gonz posted:

HEY WHORE, HAVE SOME MUSTARD

2 of the hardest laughs i've ever had listening to the show

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I could be wrong, but hasn't Ant talked about drunk driving frequently? Like more than once getting caught in the Shelby? Or was it just speeding and driving like a psycho?

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

I don't think any of them did hard drugs

Ant used to score coke with his mom.

"RO! ANTHONY HAS SOME BLOW FOR US"

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Cacafuego posted:

I could be wrong, but hasn't Ant talked about drunk driving frequently? Like more than once getting caught in the Shelby? Or was it just speeding and driving like a psycho?

Yeah, Anthony is one of those "don't worry I drive really well when I'm drunk" people

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
For the folks who listen to Ron and Fez via Audible, how quickly do the episodes generally go up for download? Does the Audible mobile app support automatic downloads?

I really don't want a SiriusXM subscription anymore, but I've listened to some of the R&F shows since they moved channels (I used to listen way back before the merger), and they've been great, even/especially when Ron is being an angry dick.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

WhiteHowler posted:

For the folks who listen to Ron and Fez via Audible, how quickly do the episodes generally go up for download? Does the Audible mobile app support automatic downloads?

I really don't want a SiriusXM subscription anymore, but I've listened to some of the R&F shows since they moved channels (I used to listen way back before the merger), and they've been great, even/especially when Ron is being an angry dick.

Most of the time, they're up by 6 PM EST. Some times, there's an issue with Friday's show where it doesn't go up until the weekend or Monday but it's getting rare.

Don't know about the mobile app.

camino
Feb 23, 2006
I'd say the average lately is uploaded by 8pm EST at the latest. The iOS app doesn't support automatic downloads, which is a shame.

Audible isn't perfect, but it's pretty good. My biggest gripe is that best ofs aren't best ofs, they're usually a random episode from 4 months ago.

ChristianDB
Jun 29, 2008
I maybe alone but I'm skipping the ron and fez show more and more these days. Yesterday seem to drag until big jay came in. Today starts off with even more caller participation. I'm sick of caller participation and games. Then it's probably going to go to an unmasked, which although bj novak is pretty cool, I just want the guys to shoot the poo poo.

This show has become every show I used to skip when they were on opie and anthony

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

ChristianDB posted:

I maybe alone but I'm skipping the ron and fez show more and more these days. Yesterday seem to drag until big jay came in. Today starts off with even more caller participation. I'm sick of caller participation and games. Then it's probably going to go to an unmasked, which although bj novak is pretty cool, I just want the guys to shoot the poo poo.

Yeah, I'm agreeing with this. The show has no energy. The games are lame, I loving hate lifeboat, even the discussion topics seem weak. Pie vs. Cake? Is there nothing more interesting to talk about today?

I'm starting to believe these are the last days of Ron & Fez.

• Locked thread