Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Ten Years. Glooped.

Anyways, the premise of this story is like one of those "entire 20th century group gets transported into the middle ages" alt-history scenarios that nerds love to write, and more often that not they bring up the idea of raising new generations in this new world. Which is a great plot hook, will they successfully take up the mantle and propagate the humanist values of the 20th century?

This isn't a "can magical girls get pregnant???" question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Yeah, it's kind of like an S.M. Stirling novel in that respect -- a bit like the Nantucket series where the island of Nantucket circa 1999 gets time-warped back to the bronze age.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

Yeah, it's kind of like an S.M. Stirling novel in that respect -- a bit like the Nantucket series where the island of Nantucket circa 1999 gets time-warped back to the bronze age.

Only with less weird bondage poo poo.

Myurton
Jan 2, 2004

I <3 Asuka,
omg anime fag

chami posted:

I don't think that would carry over into the game world, since they got put into whatever form their avatars are and not as they are IRL.

All I will say is rule 34.

As if this would stop certain people from continuing their physical relationship. So yes some would be weirded out, some would not be. I'm pretty sure some people have already thought up really creepy yuri, yaoi, or furry fan fiction for this scenario.

Anyways I'm pretty certain that even if the topic does come up that the author will deal with it in a way that is tactful, and won't creep people out.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Blhue posted:

I would assume they can, though if their children would share their abilities or be the same as the natives I'm not sure. We also don't know if the adventurers will age naturally or if they're immortal in that sense too.

I hope it would work along the lines of monster breeding games and certain combos would result in disgustingly OP hybrid classes.

Like a Ninja-Wizard hiding in the tree-tops spamming spells, or a Monk-Swordsman dual-wielding +5 Holy Avengers. If you're going to have digital kids you might as well turn them into DPS monsters!

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Elite posted:

I hope it would work along the lines of monster breeding games and certain combos would result in disgustingly OP hybrid classes.

Like a Ninja-Wizard hiding in the tree-tops spamming spells, or a Monk-Swordsman dual-wielding +5 Holy Avengers. If you're going to have digital kids you might as well turn them into DPS monsters!

"I'm sorry Martha I can't marry you, you picked a suboptimal class."

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Shukaro posted:

"I'm sorry Martha I can't marry you, you picked a suboptimal class."

Wow. Thinking about that, if it was a darker series, I think issues of a caste system arising due to certain classes that turn out to be "weaker" or "nerfed" might really be an issue!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

Wow. Thinking about that, if it was a darker series, I think issues of a caste system arising due to certain classes that turn out to be "weaker" or "nerfed" might really be an issue!

I'm sure that might have been a plot that the Author thought up but then dropped. Same with levels probably.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

DrSunshine posted:

The updated MMMarriageVows would have to account for this.

"I promise to be true to you in buffs and in nerfs, in level-downs and in level-ups. I will love you and honor you until we become abandonware."

Also there's an abundance of clerics but only one cathedral, so I'm picturing overlapping weddings leading to terrible shouting competitions occasionally interrupted by the recently deceased resurrecting right at the altar.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Elite posted:

Also there's an abundance of clerics but only one cathedral, so I'm picturing overlapping weddings leading to terrible shouting competitions occasionally interrupted by the recently deceased resurrecting right at the altar.
You haven't been married until you've been mass-married.

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

Elite posted:

Also there's an abundance of clerics but only one cathedral, so I'm picturing overlapping weddings leading to terrible shouting competitions occasionally interrupted by the recently deceased resurrecting right at the altar. getting massacred by a guild full of goons crashing the wedding ceremony

Fixed that for the true awesome MMO experience. :black101:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

chami posted:

Fixed that for the true awesome MMO experience. :black101:

Murder 'em enough and they might not remember who they're supposed to be getting married to in the first place.

Ladies and gentlemen, we have entered a new generation of griefing.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

quote:

goons crashing the wedding ceremony

Didn't the author mention that the local equivalent of the USA was in a state of relative chaos?

In our hearts, I think we know why this is the case. :smug:

kazakirinyancat
Sep 8, 2012

OWLS! posted:

Didn't the author mention that the local equivalent of the USA was in a state of relative chaos?

In our hearts, I think we know why this is the case. :smug:

Never thought I'd say this but I'd love to read fan fiction about the GOON plague of the Elder Tales US server.

I imagine it'd be like Demon's Souls with the goons creating Boletaria and everyone else being the adventurers that keep getting killed inside.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

kazakirinyancat posted:

Never thought I'd say this but I'd love to read fan fiction about the GOON plague of the Elder Tales US server.

I imagine it'd be like Demon's Souls with the goons creating Boletaria and everyone else being the adventurers that keep getting killed inside.
That presumes that goons would be capable of remaining organized enough to create and maintain such a house of horrors, instead of descending into infighting and accusations of bronydom within two months. EVE only works for goons as well as it does because it attracts the sort of :spergin:-focused minds that enjoy spreadsheets, and even there the non-Mittens leadership seems to have been a bit unstable over the years.

super mario batali
Aug 1, 2013

Dice-a the Mushroom
Grimey Drawer
penis penis penis, drink more vodka. gently caress the admins. up is down. drunk.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

nice sig, man.

super mario batali
Aug 1, 2013

Dice-a the Mushroom
Grimey Drawer

Stairmaster posted:

nice sig, man.

thanks. this is hitty vodka. like $3.40 vodka. made in amerka. not even russian.

super mario batali fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Feb 5, 2014

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!
Please be careful thepiman. There is no telling what will happen if you get spotted by Big Z. :ohdear:

kazakirinyancat
Sep 8, 2012

Paracelsus posted:

That presumes that goons would be capable of remaining organized enough to create and maintain such a house of horrors, instead of descending into infighting and accusations of bronydom within two months. EVE only works for goons as well as it does because it attracts the sort of :spergin:-focused minds that enjoy spreadsheets, and even there the non-Mittens leadership seems to have been a bit unstable over the years.

Well the goons will be stuck in the game so it should come about sooner or later. They can't just log off and go do something else.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

kazakirinyancat posted:

Well the goons will be stuck in the game so it should come about sooner or later. They can't just log off and go do something else.

Their only options in this world is to give up and stop giving a gently caress, or go full sperg and get something done since they'll be living in the game 24/7 anyway.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

thepiman314 posted:

penis penis penis, drink more vodka. gently caress the admins. up is down. drunk.

I thought about reporting this post...

And then I did.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I thought about reporting this post...

And then I did.

Bragging about being a giant crybaby who can't handle reading words on the internet is extremely cool

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Saagonsa posted:

Bragging about being a giant crybaby who can't handle reading words on the internet is extremely cool

Definitely not empty quoting this.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

I wonder why the nitekrew is even allowed to post in ADTRW anymore.

On a less stupid note:

I wonder how far the steamship is from being militarized, seeing as they already have the framework, build up some basic cannons and you are now a Imperial Era force in a Medieval Era land. I suppose the adventurers are more powerful on a individual basis, but theres something about giant cannons that I love, so I'm kinda hoping they go there, like the Black Knight guild pushing for a military/navy

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Saagonsa posted:

I know right? :smug:

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010

Conot posted:

I wonder how far the steamship is from being militarized, seeing as they already have the framework, build up some basic cannons and you are now a Imperial Era force in a Medieval Era land. I suppose the adventurers are more powerful on a individual basis, but theres something about giant cannons that I love, so I'm kinda hoping they go there, like the Black Knight guild pushing for a military/navy

I think the main thing about cannon and firearms is that it's not clear if there's an actual mining/chemical industry that you'd need for such things to materialise.

Remember that the prototype steam engine we saw was not powered by coal or oil--I don't recall if this world is even old enough for those things to exist--but by some little fire tortoise thing.

By the same token, gunpowder requires a suite of elements that don't precisely grow on trees, and cannon need iron that won't shatter or warp under the fantastic stresses of shooting.

Once everyone's had time to get their poo poo together, we may begin to see them, but this simply hasn't been long enough.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

The Evil Thing posted:

I think the main thing about cannon and firearms is that it's not clear if there's an actual mining/chemical industry that you'd need for such things to materialise.

Remember that the prototype steam engine we saw was not powered by coal or oil--I don't recall if this world is even old enough for those things to exist--but by some little fire tortoise thing.

By the same token, gunpowder requires a suite of elements that don't precisely grow on trees, and cannon need iron that won't shatter or warp under the fantastic stresses of shooting.

Once everyone's had time to get their poo poo together, we may begin to see them, but this simply hasn't been long enough.

This, basically. There are definitely people there with the skills and technical know-how to make something as complex as a computer processor, but they don't have the resources, facilities, or tools to do so. Building up that kind of infrastructure takes a lot of time and effort, even assuming you know where all the materials are. I assume they've been in the game for a long time by now because building a ship of that size is a really impressive task.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Someone said earlier that a novel detail that was either omitted or hasn't been mentioned yet is that they can use their tradeskill interface still to mass produce some things, like armor plates and such. That cuts a lot of the build time.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Ostensibly, they could just craft barrels and maybe projectiles and then propel them using magic. Compressed air guns would be easily viable. Railguns might be too with electric magic.

super mario batali
Aug 1, 2013

Dice-a the Mushroom
Grimey Drawer

User0015 posted:

Please be careful thepiman. There is no telling what will happen if you get spotted by Big Z. :ohdear:

Thanks for getting me home last night.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Glad you're feeling better.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Blhue posted:

Someone said earlier that a novel detail that was either omitted or hasn't been mentioned yet is that they can use their tradeskill interface still to mass produce some things, like armor plates and such. That cuts a lot of the build time.

That would make it a helluva lot easier then. I suppose we could just take it for granted that they effectively have the infrastructure to produce things of that scale then.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010

ViggyNash posted:

That would make it a helluva lot easier then. I suppose we could just take it for granted that they effectively have the infrastructure to produce things of that scale then.

If memory serves, craftable items have a minimum level requirement. If they use the crafting interface, they need to be of sufficient level. The users too would almost have to be of a certain level, which completely defeats the historical purpose of firearms to begin with.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

The Evil Thing posted:

If memory serves, craftable items have a minimum level requirement. If they use the crafting interface, they need to be of sufficient level. The users too would almost have to be of a certain level, which completely defeats the historical purpose of firearms to begin with.

Wouldn't firearms be like usable by level 4 or something following the historic "its easier to shoot a gun then swing a sword or pull a bow?"

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
But it's a lot easier to make a bow than build a gun, even a simple revolver.

Myurton
Jan 2, 2004

I <3 Asuka,
omg anime fag
Guys you are forgetting that they could probably use sort of explosion magic in the bottom half of the cannon barrel instead of gunpowder, this is a world with magic after all. Also who says they couldn't stick rather large ballista on the ship as well and shoot giant crossbow bolts or hurl giant stones for large distances using trebuchet's. Also who said anything about making the computers using electricity of course they would build them using cogs, and gears and power the whole thing with steam.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Actually, if they could build trebuchets I wonder if assassins could use their crossbow proficiency to use them with their attack skills?

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Chillyrabbit posted:

Wouldn't firearms be like usable by level 4 or something following the historic "its easier to shoot a gun then swing a sword or pull a bow?"

In one of the 4Chan threads where the author came in and answered some questions, I believe he said that all firearms have a stupid high equip level. Like above level 90 for even the smallest pistol with modern small arms being in the high 200s.

golden bubble fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Feb 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

golden bubble posted:

In one of the 4Chan threads where the author came in and answered some questions, I believe he said that all firearms have a stupid high equip level. Like above level 90 for even the smallest pistol with modern small arms being in the high 200s.

Level requirements are probably based on item stats then, which means in the context of Elder Tales guns would actually be as powerful as they are in real life compared to other weapons.

• Locked thread