Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Sandrock vEW literally has the connector parts for the cape already, the Heavyarms vEW just needs a repaint and an extra gun to become the custom version (they even show this on the box), Deathscythe Hell already exists, and insider sources have confirmed that it's going to happen. Honestly, they probably would have been announced already if Build Fighters hadn't proven so explosively popular.

Also yes, get the Gundam X. Everyone should have a GX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

BlitzBlast posted:

Also yes, get the Gundam X. Everyone should have a GX.

DX or nothing. I'm a SECOND lead Gundam collector. :colbert:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

So you'll be picking up the X Divider then? :v:

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

BlitzBlast posted:

So you'll be picking up the X Divider then? :v:

Do they have that for the MG X? Because I need that in my life. It's also one of the many reasons I am excited for Full Boost to arrive in the mail this week!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Dj Meow Mix posted:

Do they have that for the MG X? Because I need that in my life. It's also one of the many reasons I am excited for Full Boost to arrive in the mail this week!

Not yet but I wouldn't be surprised to see it as either a web exclu$ive or entirely $eparate kit.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

It's pretty likely to be a separate kit. If it was just the fuel tanks plus the bazooka then they could definitely make it a web-exclusive, but the Divider shield is complex enough that it wouldn't be worth the time and money to not make it general release.

People decry web exclusives a lot, but they're always either recolors, effect parts, or minor changes in design. Any really big differences enter mass production.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Luminaflare posted:

On the note of finished gunpla I just finished my Jesta Cannon

Imgur Album

The Gatling Gun came as part of the HG customize campaign, it's actually pegged in to the waist slot where one of the grenade holders normally attaches.

That looks pretty drat nice. How did you get the gatling gun exactly? Was it a bonus pack-in thing or what?

I must have one. If not several.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Phy posted:

It looks like a forgotten alien device of unguessable configuration and cold, exquisite beauty

Or a christmas tree topper

Last page, but you have given me a terrible, terrible idea.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

People decry web exclusives a lot, but they're always either recolors, effect parts, or minor changes in design. Any really big differences enter mass production.

Counterpoint: MG Sword and Launcher Striker Packs
Counter-counterpoint: MG Sword/Launcher Strike Gundam

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't those HG ver.Ka-style Balls unavailable as a regular release?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

HG Ball exists, and the Ball vKa is just that with like an extra runner thrown in for all of the differences.

Midjack posted:

Counterpoint: MG Sword and Launcher Striker Packs
Counter-counterpoint: MG Sword/Launcher Strike Gundam

Having bought the MG Perfect Strike web exclusive, the only actually new parts were the Perfect Strike's battery packs and maybe the two connection pieces to the Aile Striker pack. The rest, as you note, was recycled from the old MG.

EDIT: My old answer sucked, so here's a much better rephrase.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Feb 3, 2014

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism

Bimmi posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't those HG ver.Ka-style Balls unavailable as a regular release?

The dual ball HG kit is still available normally. The HG kit with the shark mouth and ball-k was a limited run. You can still find them on ebay pretty cheap, I actually tried to sell mine and no one jumped on it, so I'm just going to build it one day I guess. The MG ball kits aren't produced as much as other MG kits but you can get them if you're patient and wait for them to recirculate.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That looks pretty drat nice. How did you get the gatling gun exactly? Was it a bonus pack-in thing or what?

I must have one. If not several.

It's part of some campaign where if you buy a HG kit you get a bonus weapon and a bunch of connectors.

This is the leaflet/instructions it came with.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Welp,
I've worked out what my next couple of projects are going to be.
LF is shipping me his Buster Gundam so that'll occupy a weekend.
After that I'll be grabbing another Fenice and a Zaku Amazing booster and I'm going to do a THING. Building a full fenice with the proper shoulders and pads on both side. and tool out the other one using the smaller shoulders and Zaku Booster, since I've read here and there that it comes with adapter parts to get it attached to other suits. This is totally a good idea right?
Gonna have to do some cutting and modding on the extra fenice to get everything to fit though.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Sengoku Astray has boxart now.

Seems all of the MG BF kits will have more detailed drawings of scenes from the anime.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
I was already sold on Sengoku Astray. That just double sold me on it. That boxart is AMAZING! :stare:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Glad I preordered mine, it's worth it just for the box art.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
loving sold. If I weren't moving in March I'd have one on pre-order.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I just want to see what they'll do for the Build mkII, it hasn't really gotten any big scenes yet.

If they draw the scene where it's playing Tamaire I will buy five.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Is the Fenice all that different from the wing in terms of actual design? I'm getting awful tempted to scratch build one out of the verKa wing in MG.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Caros posted:

Is the Fenice all that different from the wing in terms of actual design? I'm getting awful tempted to scratch build one out of the verKa wing in MG.

Why would you use ver. ka Wing when MG TV Wing exists, and Wing Fenice is pretty likely to get a MG anyway so don't waste your time.

Caros
May 14, 2008

TaurusOxford posted:

Why would you use ver. ka Wing when MG TV Wing exists, and Wing Fenice is pretty likely to get a MG anyway so don't waste your time.

Because I think the verKa looks better? Also because I have one in a box. Alternatively because I like doing scratch builds. Finally, because they haven't done any announcement on the Fenice and I'm not sure if it will get one.

Pick one :colbert:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Fenice has a recent MG to work off of, and it's been given a ton of spotlight. It's getting one.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Caros posted:

Because I think the verKa looks better?

You can't say you want to scratch build MG Wing Fenice and then trashtalk the bulk of its original design, especially when that design has a far superior MG which would make a scratch build attempt far easier.

Besides, Bandai would be retarded to not make MG Fenice. It's a piss easy mod of MG Wing and both BF and Wing fans will eat it up.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Man saying the vKa looks better isn't trash talking the original design, it's just saying a fact. :v:

Caros
May 14, 2008

TaurusOxford posted:

You can't say you want to scratch build MG Wing Fenice and then trashtalk the bulk of its original design, especially when that design has a far superior MG which would make a scratch build attempt far easier.

Besides, Bandai would be retarded to not make MG Fenice. It's a piss easy mod of MG Wing and both BF and Wing fans will eat it up.

Saying that I think the verKa looks better isn't trash talking, it's opinion.

And yes, they would be.

Edit: alternatively, what blitz said.

Caros fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Feb 4, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

My HLJ shipment came in. Dengeki Hobby is actually pretty interesting, lots of tutorials, shots of perfectly assembled models, and even some mecha manga. Also a really awkward section on anime figurines that I just kind of skip and some eh bonuses I just toss over to my friends. But much more importantly, MG Gundam X and HG V2 are finally mine! :dance:

GX's box is about the same size as MG 2.0, it's a very welcome change from the "make every single box as wide as possible" kick Bandai's been on lately.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Goddamnit I want to buy MG GX so bad, but I can't spend the money.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Dalong's finished his V2,

and so much for HGUC V2 being a preview of the MG's proportions. God drat it Bandai, why'd you base the HG off of the vKa's lineart?

More positively, almost all of the runners are modular. V2A/B seem likely!

Also I am amazed dalong hasn't thrown in the towel despite the recent onslaught of kits.

EDIT: You know, I'm actually kind of happy about this. I totally hosed up my HG V, and have been deliberating on how to fix it for a while. But now that it's totally out of scale with the V2, my OCD will let me just toss everything but the effect parts. And maybe the core fighter so I can recreate the V2's launch scene.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Feb 4, 2014

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
is dalong some guy who builds every gundam kit and never paints or is it a club or something?

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Dalong is indeed one guy and he is probably certifiable, yes.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

You can grind out an MG in a day and a HG in an afternoon - you can keep up pretty easily, assuming an infinite budget and few other distractions.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

he also can get lazy on some of the cheaper kits and not panel line them. Not that I blame him for that.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I can understand doing one of every kit – used to have this mentality myself, though I can confirm it is not healthy - but what baffles me is how he will get every special-finish and limited-edition thing he can, some of them fairly rare, and give them the same dashed-off lovely-looking treatment. And he displays everything apparently.

His site is a good resource and I'm glad it exists, but I think it may be the product of a broken mind.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

dalong's an engineer, his income is ridiculous and he needs something to spend it on. And he displays it all because his house is actually something of a tourist attraction, he gets around 50k visitors a year. He's also very well-known around the net for being the out of the box build review site, so no duh he keeps up his collection. He has a massive audience to build for.

Basically I wouldn't accuse him of anything if you can't understand korean.

EDIT: Oh yeah, he's also a favorite of the various gunpla shops in Korea so he gets a lot of free stuff. That's probably why he gets all of those limited edition kits.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Feb 4, 2014

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I bought up one of those System Weapon kits today, and I'm surprised at just how good they are. I got the System Weapon 005 that has a Chaingun and Gundam Shield, and they're both pretty solid little pieces. The chaingun even has tiny little text painted on various pieces of the main body and rifle stock :allears:. The only bad things I can say about them is that the lower-front piece on the shield's a little loose (the lighter-grey piece with the cross on it), but it's not going to fall off on you, and that I wish they'd made the chaingun decoration parts a bit more ambidextrous. Definitely going to get a second one, because I wanted them for when I get a Kampfer Amazing (which I still can't find :argh:) and picked one up first to see what the quality was like.

Also found an Amazing Weapon Binder by chance (the accessory pack with the Kampfer Amazing's shoulder cannons and handheld weapons) and certainly wasn't going to let that sit on a store shelf for $8AU, so I guess I'll just have to stack the shoulder cannons when I find the drat kit.

Oblique Angle
Feb 11, 2011

God or the devil? Why not surpass them both?!
Been a few weeks now, but I'm getting pretty close on Unicorn.

I ended up not painting a good number of pieces, mostly the internals needed for the sliding parts just so they wouldn't be hindered. Most of the psycoframe has silver on the back and gloss clear on the front to try and make them shine a bit. The parts for the shield then also have white over the silver so the psycoframe isn't visible on the back of the shield during unicorn mode.

Also, waterslides don't really seem like too much work until you do a couple hundred of them on one kit. I can't imagine how awful this would look if I used the stickers instead. That said, I've really come to be a fan of decals, so I was totally stoked a while back when new waterslide sets started showing up on hlj again.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I'm actually really curious to see how this'll look. If it looks good, I may at some point on the future put a silver backing on my Banshee's green frame so it pops a bit more amongst the black plastic.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I know it's against Bandai's credo, but I wish they'd make a Unicorn mode only MG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Blitz, is there a bit in your tutorial on smoothing down the thick ends on V Fins? I got lucky on my Full Armor Unicorn and don't really want to push my luck on HG Turn A.

• Locked thread