Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Little Mac posted:

Is there gonna be a Guardians trailer? Please say there's gonna be a Guardians trailer.

James Gunn said no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Little Mac posted:

Is there gonna be a Guardians trailer?

No.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Dacap posted:

James Gunn said no

Oh well. These are still good (not Transformers, Transformers is bad).

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Cap and ASM 2 looks amazing. The battle in the DC sky with the multiple Helicarries and Spiderman swinging around the tesla coils are rad as gently caress.

Transformers, uh, its like 50/50 awesome vs silly stuff.

Grimlock not riding beast! Grimlock king!!

Man, Falcon looks amazingly bad rear end. April can't come fast enough!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Metal Loaf posted:

Coming in 2016: Avengers 2.5: Cap's Kooky Quartet.

It makes me wonder if Marvel has the film rights for Henry Gyrich, because if they want to do more with the "SHIELD are a bunch of dicks" story with those guys, he'd be perfect for it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Dacap posted:

Yeah, him plus that costume makes an absolutely perfect Spidey.

In other news, here's the Tranformers 4 TV spot featuring Optimus prime riding Grimlock with a sword

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zv6fVuvcHis

Ugh, I hate the Bay movies insistence that Decepticons have to be bland grey or beige barely identifiable robots. Like, I think the cannon guy is Megatron/Galvatron? Maybe?

EDIT: On the other hand, the Spidey trailer looks really good. The Electro plot is classic Spider-Man hubris kicking him in the rear end. Try to be suave and cool as a superhero, end up with stalker-y supervillain you can't talk down because he realises it was all bullshit the first time. It wouldn't be Peter Parker if he was allowed too much joy in either life.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Feb 3, 2014

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

Dacap posted:

James Gunn said no

I can understand that. Marvel just wants to push Cap 2 for now. I'd expect a huge push right after Cap's been in theaters for a week or two.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

E the Shaggy posted:

I can understand that. Marvel just wants to push Cap 2 for now. I'd expect a huge push right after Cap's been in theaters for a week or two.
But wouldn't they want to get some hype for GOTG since its not that well known of a property?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

You'd think so, wouldn't you?

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

achillesforever6 posted:

But wouldn't they want to get some hype for GOTG since its not that well known of a property?

they wouldn't want to push it alongside higher-profile properties that will overshadow any marketing they can do for it.

Best bet is early Spring - like, March. April is too late - when they'll mostly be done marketing Cap but when there's sometimes a brief deadzone before the hype-machines for the big summer blockbusters go into overdrive.

Although this summer isn't nearly as crowded as next summer, so they probably aren't that worried.

We probably exaggerate how concerned they are about the Guardians' lack of brand-recognition, in general. As long as they can slap a "From the Studio that brought you "The Avengers" and "Iron Man"" on it, it's in no worse shape than the rest of their properties.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

achillesforever6 posted:

The first trailer needs to show up pretty soon. I think waiting until after Cap 2 is released would be wasting valuable marketing time. Plant the seeds of interest early.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

If the trailer is able to sustain the vibe from the Comic-Con footage (which was basically weird, but funny and full of action) and really promote the marketability of Rocket Raccoon, along with the aforementioned "From the makers of..." sticker on it, it'll sell itself.

What I'm more worried about is what it's going up against. If it opens against say, the Ninja Turtles reboot, it could easily get buried at the box office and scare Marvel off of "risky projects."

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

People have short attention spans and the market is saturated. If they start hyping GotG now people will forget all about it by summer

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

James Gunn also promised something "soon".

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
There's no way they won't have a trailer for Guardians of the Galaxy running before The Winter Soldier.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Everything about this is perfect :allears: The humour, the action, Jamie Foxx's hair, the Sinister Six tease, Jamie Foxx's hair.

Dacap posted:

Yeah, him plus that costume makes an absolutely perfect Spidey.

In other news, here's the Tranformers 4 TV spot featuring Optimus prime riding Grimlock with a sword

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zv6fVuvcHis

I've seen every Bay Transformers film and disliked every one bad I can't not watch a film where Optimus with a sword rides Grimlock :negative:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Aw I just looked at the Spider-man vs. Transformers view count, it's around 30,000 vs. 170,000. That makes me kind-of sad.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Waterhaul posted:

Everything about this is perfect :allears: The humour, the action, Jamie Foxx's hair, the Sinister Six tease, Jamie Foxx's hair.

I've seen every Bay Transformers film and disliked every one bad I can't not watch a film where Optimus with a sword rides Grimlock :negative:

Dude, it's going on three weeks since I've had booze or fried foods. Be strong, you know you'll only walk away upset and unfulfilled. Keep that one cool image in your mind as whatever your brain cooks up is going to be head and shoulders better than what Bay shits out onto the screen.

Is Shia LeBouf still in these?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Soonmot posted:

He's been replaced by Mark Wahlberg which make the film bearable enough to entice me back.

Thurm
Nov 11, 2008
So Ed Brubaker makes an appearance in the new Captain America trailer around 20 seconds in. Is he the first non-Stan Lee comic book creator cameo in a Marvel movie?

Thurm fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Feb 3, 2014

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

Thurm posted:

So Ed Brubaker makes an appearance in the new Captain America trailer around 20 seconds in. Is he the first non-Stan Lee comic book creator cameo in a Marvel movie?

Walter and Louse Simonson, J. Michael Straczinsky and a bunch of others were in Thor.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Soonmot posted:

Dude, it's going on three weeks since I've had booze or fried foods. Be strong, you know you'll only walk away upset and unfulfilled. Keep that one cool image in your mind as whatever your brain cooks up is going to be head and shoulders better than what Bay shits out onto the screen.

Maybe when I see the trailer on the big screen it might placate it. Transformers is usually 30 seconds of cool images with what feels like 3 hours plus of nonsense.

Thurm posted:

Huh I didn't notice him without his fedora. But no he's not anywhere near the first there was Miller in Sin City and Daredevil, Claremont was in X3, Kevin Smith in Daredevil off the top of my head.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

He's been replaced by Mark Wahlberg which make the film bearable enough to entice me back.

Okay, Whalberg is no longer on my "see anything he makes" list.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Soonmot posted:

Okay, Whalberg is no longer on my "see anything he makes" list.

So, what you're saying, is that The Departed wasn't enough to take him off that list but Transformers 4 was?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah. Yeah it is.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He did the one where trees kill people.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Actually, the trees keep people from killing themselves, and then the trees stop working. :science:

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Don't you dare pin M Night Shameaboutthelastfilm's failing's on Marky Mark.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Will he's the next Spielberg so it must be somebody's fault.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The last time Bay and Mark worked together they created Pain & Gain, set to get nominated into several categories in this year's Cinebytes awards. So I hope this is Pain & Gain but with Transformers. All that missing is The Rock, who was also a Transformers once.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

greatn posted:

Actually, the trees keep people from killing themselves, and then the trees stop working. :science:

A sin of inaction is a sin all the same.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

If you haven't seen Pain & Gain I suggest you fix that and know that Bay and Marky Mark will kick rear end with Transformers 4.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

If you haven't seen Pain & Gain I suggest you fix that and know that Bay and Marky Mark will kick rear end with Transformers 4.

Sorry, didn't Pain and Gain get its rear end rightly handed to it by pretty much everyone?

Have you realised something that Mark Kermode didn't? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcHvRhq36hw

Sion fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Feb 3, 2014

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

Sorry, nerds, Pain & Gain ruled.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, Pain & Gain was lots of fun.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Pain and Gain was great, Bay is a good, entertaining, interesting director, Transformers isn't that bad depending on how you look at it (but yeah from a normal lens), and I'm kind of underwhelmed by Grimlock's design but them taking on what look like fantasy TFs might be fun. It looks like it's going full retard which is appropriate with Marky Mark as the lead. I hope he's in full confused and angry mode.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
:love: you Sion, but Pain and Gain owns amigo.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

I can't believe trailers for loving Transformers and Amazing Spider-Man hyped me up more than Cap. I have no hope in Marvel movies at this point aside from Guardians, but it is still disappointing as hell that they did not try to pick even a slice of superspy aesthetics from Brubaker/Epting comics.

Now, Spider-Man looks like an awesome goofy-rear end cartoon (ELECTRIC EELS holy poo poo) and Transformers have a robot in robot trenchcoat dual-wielding robot SMGs. This is what fun looks like.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Error 404 posted:

:love: you Sion, but Pain and Gain owns amigo.

No, see, I haven't seen it but every single review of it I saw basically said 'there's nothing good in this film at all.' Is it worth givin' a look?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Sion posted:

No, see, I haven't seen it but every single review of it I saw basically said 'there's nothing good in this film at all.' Is it worth givin' a look?

Yes. It's not a "good" movie in the classic sense, instead imagine a super stylistic crime thriller written by Captain Foo about a real life crime so outlandish they actually have to pause a scene and pop up some text to remind you 'this actually happened'.

It's a loving fun movie, and in a really dark way, loving funny too. But, it's also easy to see how all the above would be unappealing to some folks, so their dislike is totally understandable.

• Locked thread