Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

Splizwarf posted:

Mod request: placeable objects that affect local gravity. Being able to configure the area, shape of area, strength, etc on the fly would be even radder.

I assume it's possible because of the way gravity goes wonky near Apex facilities.

Addendum request: backpack with the same sort of deal.

Looking in the files for the dungeons, it seems each dungeon is simply assigned a value for "gravity" : 80(default),. The next line is "maxRadius" : 2000,. I haven't messed with dungeons at all, so I'm not sure exactly what this line does, but I'm guessing it either a) sets the "radius" of the area affected by the "gravity", or b) has something to do with how big of an area it's allowed to generate dungeon tiles in. In other words, it may actually be really easy to get what you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nexas
Sep 4, 2009

nope

I'm trying to remember, but didn't someone post a list of all the goon made mods on this thread? I just started adding mods to my game, but I want to start with what the goons have first.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Has any mention been made of upgradeable weapons? It would be lovely to have a use for the wealth of diamond &c. you end up with, and it would be really nice to keep a favoured weapon with you for a while. Basically I want my piggun forever and ever and ever.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Flint_Paper posted:

Has any mention been made of upgradeable weapons? It would be lovely to have a use for the wealth of diamond &c. you end up with, and it would be really nice to keep a favoured weapon with you for a while. Basically I want my piggun forever and ever and ever.

Not as far as I have seen, however starbound is very moddable and getting more moddable all the time so we might see this as a mod.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
I found a rifle on a level 10 planet that shoots countless electric balls that bounce around for a while then explode. :science:

It's basically the best thing ever. Not only can you blanket an entire screen in damage that makes you untouchable, but it also lights up dark dungeons and tunnels for very little energy since it has such a rapid firerate. I haven't had to use a melee weapon since I've found it. I suddenly went from being 3 tiers behind to Godmode within an hour of picking it up.

Terbulus
Apr 7, 2009

Any guides for creating your own vanity items around?

Terbulus fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Feb 2, 2014

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Terbulus posted:

Any guides for crating your own vanity items around?

Use a crafting table to make a crate and then put your vanity items in it? :mmmhmm:

PsychicToaster
Jan 12, 2010
Ran across some kind of cultist torture house.

After killing them off, I check below to see what they're hiding...

...Right. They're just holding this poo poo golem hostage. Either that or this is the cultist's toilet I'm spelunking around in. :barf:

Sometimes I come across these mostly pointless structures and hope in the final release they have a bit more pizzazz, but hey, it's a beta.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
You may not have noticed, but iirc, those shackles are secret switches too. They're not actually hooked up to anything, but they're a neat thing to scan.

Makes me wish there were "secret" doors with high tech designs. the only ones I've seen so far have been stone.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
So are the tier 10 racial armors the best possible armors, or is it worth still looking around for other armors after I've crafted tier 10 (at least on functional grounds. Clearly it's worth it aesthetically to keep looking for stuff like the wedding dress. Mainly I'm interested in helmets -- is the Tier 10 helmet going to be the best, or can I get more energy in some other way?

Mage Ham
Apr 28, 2010
Question regarding specific materials within the same category: is having just one type of cobblestone new to this patch?

I remember people complaining/commenting about seemingly-identical cobblestones not stacking, but now I'm getting every kind of cobblestone- even visually distinct cobblestone- compressing into a single stack.

It's convenient in one respect, but...the default cobblestone is pretty ugly, and the volcanic-biome stuff I'm seeing all over my starting planet is a much prettier, shale-esque texture.

Here's a gratuitous screencap of stately castle Kisspunch; you can see the naturally-occurring cobblestone beneath the greenhouse, and a couple squares of the 'default' cobblestone it transforms into beneath the supporting blaststone columns.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Are there any mods that allow you to craft blocks specifically? Stripmining dungeons for the specific blocks you want gets kind of old.

Also desideratus: in the Exploration enhanced mod, is it normal that you can't repair rocksaws?

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Mage Ham posted:

Question regarding specific materials within the same category: is having just one type of cobblestone new to this patch?

I remember people complaining/commenting about seemingly-identical cobblestones not stacking, but now I'm getting every kind of cobblestone- even visually distinct cobblestone- compressing into a single stack.

It's convenient in one respect, but...the default cobblestone is pretty ugly, and the volcanic-biome stuff I'm seeing all over my starting planet is a much prettier, shale-esque texture.

Here's a gratuitous screencap of stately castle Kisspunch; you can see the naturally-occurring cobblestone beneath the greenhouse, and a couple squares of the 'default' cobblestone it transforms into beneath the supporting blaststone columns.

So far cobblestone always defaulted to one style of cobblestone in the backpack, sometimes not stacking with other cobblestone. Hasn't changed since public beta release.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

qnqnx posted:

So far cobblestone always defaulted to one style of cobblestone in the backpack, sometimes not stacking with other cobblestone. Hasn't changed since public beta release.
I don't mind cobblestone bricks being identical in looks and stackability. But plain cobblestone being wonky in it's stacking drives me CRAZY since I really like making things out of wood and cobblestone bricks.

On that note, why can't we paint cobblestone bricks with the paint gun :argh: It's the only cratfable block you can't paint (well aside from Dirt Blocks, [bias]but who cares about painting those?[/bias]). Once they are bricks they are the same so it's not like trying to make each individual variant of cobblestone ore paintable.

Of course, with the pixel printer blocks you can barely fill in a small room for 50,000 pixels worth. Lego bricks are literally worth their weight in gold bars. I do wish crafted Titanium Panels lined up smoothly like 50 pixels a pop Wall Panel's though.

EDIT: And none of these Apex living facilities I have come across have had a Retro Oven yet :doh:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Feb 3, 2014

Mage Ham
Apr 28, 2010

qnqnx posted:

Rats; I guess that's what I get for not playing before the final wipe much.
Hopefully both the glitch, and the lack of variation, are temporary; I would love to have more types of decorative undressed stone to play with.

It particularly bothers me because visually distinct dirt DOES stay separate.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
So, uh. Wow. Found kinda a nice world here.

X Thanatos 87 IB
X:-22765278, Y:-79161785

There's an apex maze with targeted blink in it to the left, and both me and the guy who gave me these co-ords found two legendary weapons on the way, a two handed sword and a rifle, both in wooden surface chests. If you haven't got them before you find the cage with the monkey abomination you missed them or they didn't spawn. What he didn't find was the chest literally four blocks from the opposite door to the apex dungeon that had a third legendary weapon, a pistol. It's a threat level ten world, so be prepared to die in one hit.

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

Fishstick posted:

Are there any mods that allow you to craft blocks specifically? Stripmining dungeons for the specific blocks you want gets kind of old.

Also desideratus: in the Exploration enhanced mod, is it normal that you can't repair rocksaws?

This was a great mod but the author still hasn't updated it to work with the new version, and I don't have the time to mess with it. It basically let you craft x50 any block in the game for 1 pixel, which was awesome in combination with the ship building mods.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
There's the Homesick mod made by goon Vib Rib but I don't know if the mod's been updated for the latest version yet.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Insert name here posted:

There's the Homesick mod made by goon Vib Rib but I don't know if the mod's been updated for the latest version yet.

It has, the guy who helped him out in his thread last time did it again. Check Page 4 for the current link.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

Will drills fall out of effectiveness in latter tiers? I have a platinum drill currently and I don't want to make a diamond one unless I know I'm gonna be using it for a while.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Jade Mage posted:

Will drills fall out of effectiveness in latter tiers? I have a platinum drill currently and I don't want to make a diamond one unless I know I'm gonna be using it for a while.

Drills last forever.

At least until they add in more content.

script kitty
Jan 2, 2005

GOTTA GO CATTES

Pretty game!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

E-Tank posted:

Drills last forever.

At least until they add in more content.
Have drills been buffed? Last time I used them, I think they'd just been upgraded to mine a 3x3 space (and maybe I'm just imagining things). They mined slightly--and I mean barely noticeably--faster than pickaxes and their only benefit past that was that they took one tick fewer than a pickaxe of equal material to mine through a tile. Completely worthless and they burned through durability much faster than picks while being so small an improvement you'd need a goddamn sperglord-style spreadsheet to prove that they were.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
Last time I used a drill it was noticeably faster than the pickaxes at mining. Also who cares about durability when it takes like three seconds to shovel some copper ore (something I had like 1500 of by the time I got drills) into your drill.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

script kitty posted:

Pretty game!

:ughh:

Of course electric lights would work underwater. :shepface:

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Splizwarf posted:

:ughh:

Of course electric lights would work underwater. :shepface:

You do know that they make electric lights that work just fine underwater, right?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Jade Mage posted:

Diamond Drills are at least a BIT faster than a diamond pick. For things like dirt, sand, and other things you can blow through with a single swing the pickaxe feels better (I guess it's a timing thing?). But anything like cobblestone, tougher rocks or metal backround walls, and piles of tough ores the drill will be a bit faster. It wears out faster, but you bring it from dead to full with less copper ore than it takes to bring a pickaxe up to full.

Also, once you are trying to loot the background materials of an Apex lab or a prison, even the smaller difference in speed between the Diamond Pickaxe and Diamond Drill adds up. Just for cobblestones and ores, pickaxe will be all you need though. Basically, the tougher the blocks you gotta go through constantly, the more worth it the drill is. If you are spending all your time in desert sands or dirt and tarpit layers on some jungle world, the drill is a waste of time. Spend a lot of time on magmarocks everywhere asteroids or looting decorative wall materials (cheap wallpaper, tougher than rock!) and it becomes more attractive.

Do not throw away your pickaxe. It's slower swing speed is important for building homes and decorating, as most crafting objects and containers will survive a single misplaced swing not spilling it's contents everywhere. A drill will just obliterate everything.

Tl:DR: The Drill is a waste of Pixels unless you will be spending more time digging through stuff harder than cobblestone or looting decorative backgrounds than not.

So all these people saying it is worthless to them are right, because it's not worthwhile for the kind of stuff they are doing. while the people saying it's worth it are also right, because that time difference adds up for them.

EDIT: I have run into an apparently known bug, Durasteel Doors place too far off to the right :doh: Shame, they look pretty cool. I think I also read somebody's game crashed and their save got corrupted when they used a wiring tool with one.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Feb 3, 2014

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Magmarashi posted:

You do know that they make electric lights that work just fine underwater, right?

Yeah, that was a "why did I never try that/why am I so stupid" post. I have been making the traditional Terraria torch-squares when I need underwater light.

ramenpower
May 6, 2007

Society must take every means at its disposal to defend itself against the emergence of a parallel power which defies the elected power
Here is another "I'm stupid" posts. How do I repair my pickaxe exactly. Lots of copper ore but I'm not seeing anything in the crafting menus.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Is the Starbound goon server down or is there a problem on my end...

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

Temper Trudeau posted:

Here is another "I'm stupid" posts. How do I repair my pickaxe exactly. Lots of copper ore but I'm not seeing anything in the crafting menus.

Pick up the ore and then right click on the pickaxe with it I think.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Catsworth posted:

Pick up the ore and then right click on the pickaxe with it I think.

Also: the pickaxe has to be equipped in one of your slots for this to work I think, can't be just sitting in your inventory

vvv Weird I had the exact opposite experience, I guess it doesn't matter then.

VodeAndreas fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Feb 3, 2014

PsychicToaster
Jan 12, 2010

VodeAndreas posted:

Also: the pickaxe has to be equipped in one of your slots for this to work I think, can't be just sitting in your inventory

I used unequp mine to repair it with ore every time I did it because I couldn't get it to repair on my hotbar(I didn't know I had to right click), so it does repair that way.

Is there anything better than "Timmy", the Impervium 2-handed axe? It does 4000, so far all the legendary weapons I've found do way less.

EDIT:Also, the planet mentioned above netted me a Rocket Jump tech from the Apex maze, not the Targeted Blink.

PsychicToaster fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Feb 3, 2014

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Jersey Mike posted:

I unequp mine to repair it with ore every time I do it, so it does repair that way.

Is there anything better than "Timmy", the Impervium 2-handed axe? It does 4000, so far all the legendary weapons I've found do way less.

I believe the impervium 2-handed hammer does 4444.

PsychicToaster
Jan 12, 2010

RandomBlue posted:

I believe the impervium 2-handed hammer does 4444.

I mean legendary weapon-wise. I'd love to be wielding some kind of super space bullshit cleaver but none of them deal damage nearly that high.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Jersey Mike posted:

I mean legendary weapon-wise. I'd love to be wielding some kind of super space bullshit cleaver but none of them deal damage nearly that high.

I have a super space bullshit axe that does like 3100, bought it from an Avian market. Haven't seen anything higher, though.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
I had a few questions for building up a home base. Is there anything in planet choice I should be looking for, any reason to set up in a higher danger sector than alpha, and can trees from one planet biome grow on another? (I really like how the crystal ice trees from some snow biomes look and the plant fiber trees from jungle biomes would be pretty useful to have as well.)

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

THF13 posted:

I had a few questions for building up a home base. Is there anything in planet choice I should be looking for, any reason to set up in a higher danger sector than alpha, and can trees from one planet biome grow on another? (I really like how the crystal ice trees from some snow biomes look and the plant fiber trees from jungle biomes would be pretty useful to have as well.)

The only good reason I know of for setting up in a sector past Alpha is that if you set up in Delta, the monsters are hard enough to drop decent amounts of pixels, but not so hard that a roof covered in turrets can't kill them in a reasonable amount of time. Personally, I think there's way easier and more fun methods of getting rich, but it scores well on the :effort: scale.

PsychicToaster
Jan 12, 2010

Dude...you are the god drat captain.

Do sweet rear end outfits like his drop if I take him out? I'm on a hunt for vanity items because I've hit top tier and have nothing let to do but build a palace, fill my 3D printer, and find better weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

THF13 posted:

As far as I can tell, any seed will grow on any biome, I've only tried with a few trees though. I set up shop on an alpha planet since monsters stop dropping meat on higher level planets, and one of the best recipes I have access to requires meat. Having an npc settlement nearby for vendor access could be useful until you find chef/stim spawners, but other than that, aesthetic preference is really the only reason to choose one planet over another.

• Locked thread