Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

Ironically, I received that text while in the middle of trying to watch a youtube video that kept buffering every 5 seconds.

Yeah, I think that text is going to push more people to other carriers in my area instead of selling the LTE phones it said I should go look at. Half the time when I get LTE coverage it's great. The other half of the time it's exactly your experience.

If I could get good signal indoors at work on a non-cloudy day I'd be happy. I even have a big window in my office! My work just happens to sit near a field so there's never been great coverage and the upgrades didn't improve it. (No wifi at work. Boo.)

My work phone is with AT&T and there's never been any problems. Hmmm...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
I think that text message is to try and get people to do the early Easy Pay/Framily upgrade. There's a link in it that routes to the offer. I suspect it has nothing to do with the actual state of Network Vision.

Unless they're sending different messages to people with LTE and non-LTE phones.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
So what's the drawback of the Framily plan? Am I missing something, if you get 7 people to sign up you get unlimited everything for 45 bucks?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

No subsidized phones.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

effika posted:

My work phone is with AT&T and there's never been any problems. Hmmm...

Just switch over to att prepaid.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

IOwnCalculus posted:

No subsidized phones.

Yup. If you do manage to get 6 other lines signed up, even with the lack of subsidy it'll wind up cheaper. The Note 3 is like $29/month, the 32/64GB iPhone 5Ss would be a bit more, but would probably still wind up under $80/month.

The way the plans are built is that they make up for the subsidy by having the base rate plan cheaper (at $55 for a single line), but with only 1GB of data. Basically, 1GB data is roughly the same as a $600 subsidy, so almost always cheaper. 3GB works out to $360 so cheaper for some phones. And with unlimited it's only a $120 savings off a single line Everything My Way, so it'll always be more expensive (unless you always buy a new phone every year).

I strongly suspect they're trying to wean people off unlimited data, since a lot of the sales materials suggest we lead with the lower data plans.

r3plica
Feb 29, 2008

Mahoning posted:

Are you in NE Ohio? I'm in the Youngstown area and noticed that LTE has been on and off for about 10 days. Some days it doesn't work at all and some days I get it just about everywhere I go. So they must still be testing or working out the bugs.

Getting LTE in warren, niles, and ytown quite a bit, they must be getting things ready, got the "almost complete" text a few days ago. Ravenna has had solid 4g for over a month now according to my sensorly mapping.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

TVs Ian posted:

I strongly suspect they're trying to wean people off unlimited data, since a lot of the sales materials suggest we lead with the lower data plans.

That's discomforting news, given all their talking up of the new data infrastructure. And I just came up for upgrade eligibility yesterday...

Speaking of which, I asked earlier in the thread but hid it in a rant post, so more directly: is there a good guide out there to taking a Sprint upgrade opportunity and reselling it as new and unactivated, in case I want to keep my phone for now (I'll probably buy used in the future for whatever the new hotness is).

I want to make sure I don't fall into some random trap where Sprint will only give it to me activated onto my account or some such. I'm on a typical unlimited data family plan.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
Official HTC One 4.4.2 update downloading as I type this. RUU'ed back to 4.3 stock from GPE and doing this upgrade "the right way" because I'm tired of this phone dropping data connectivity every few minutes and waiting a good 45-90 seconds to reacquire like it's been doing on every ROM, including the official one.

Not holding my breath that it'll fix anything, but who knows?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

TVs Ian posted:

If that's happens people will be leaving Sprint in droves.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

e.pilot posted:

If that's happens people will be leaving Sprint in droves.
I didn't say it was a good idea. But when Framily first came out, the unlimited data didn't have the lifetime guarantee like the My Way plans (it changed a few days later), and they've been telling us for months that if people aren't on a guaranteed plan like that they'll lose it. So at some point all the people on the old Everything Data plans are going to lose unlimited and probably won't have a way to get it back.

Our Sprint corporate rep blames it all on Softbank.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

SpelledBackwards posted:

Speaking of which, I asked earlier in the thread but hid it in a rant post, so more directly: is there a good guide out there to taking a Sprint upgrade opportunity and reselling it as new and unactivated, in case I want to keep my phone for now (I'll probably buy used in the future for whatever the new hotness is).

Order online to have an unopened box shopped to you. Most store salespeople, either at a Sprint store or a 3rd party like Best Buy, are going to want to unbox and test the device. So as not to trigger any loss/theft issues, you might want to call Sprint to activate the device using the serial numbers on the outside of the box, then reactivate your old device.

iPhone 5S, or maybe a Galaxy Note 3, will have the greatest resale value. Third parties like Amazon, RadioShack, Walmart, and BestBuy usually sell upgrade devices for less than Sprint.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Leathal posted:

Official HTC One 4.4.2 update downloading as I type this. RUU'ed back to 4.3 stock from GPE and doing this upgrade "the right way" because I'm tired of this phone dropping data connectivity every few minutes and waiting a good 45-90 seconds to reacquire like it's been doing on every ROM, including the official one.

Not holding my breath that it'll fix anything, but who knows?

Updated today, still drops data, still takes a year for the keyboard to load.

And now it turns on Wi-Fi every time I power cycle it. And if I set a wallpaper for the lock/idle screen, it now shows up on the tile screen under the icons, which looks retarded. I hate this phone.

angryrobots fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Feb 2, 2014

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

goku chewbacca posted:

Order online to have an unopened box shopped to you. Most store salespeople, either at a Sprint store or a 3rd party like Best Buy, are going to want to unbox and test the device. So as not to trigger any loss/theft issues, you might want to call Sprint to activate the device using the serial numbers on the outside of the box, then reactivate your old device.

iPhone 5S, or maybe a Galaxy Note 3, will have the greatest resale value. Third parties like Amazon, RadioShack, Walmart, and BestBuy usually sell upgrade devices for less than Sprint.

I appreciate it - the thing doesn't need to be active on my account for any kind of minimum time right? Activate the new phone while it's still in the box, wait an hour let's say, and then readd my old phone to my line and turn around and sell the NIB phone?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

TVs Ian posted:

I didn't say it was a good idea. But when Framily first came out, the unlimited data didn't have the lifetime guarantee like the My Way plans (it changed a few days later), and they've been telling us for months that if people aren't on a guaranteed plan like that they'll lose it. So at some point all the people on the old Everything Data plans are going to lose unlimited and probably won't have a way to get it back.

Sprint has been a disorganized mess in terms of focus for years, and the worst on changing plans suddenly on people. Looks like that is staying the same.

flickmaker
Jun 7, 2004

Coked out Artie.

SpelledBackwards posted:

I appreciate it - the thing doesn't need to be active on my account for any kind of minimum time right? Activate the new phone while it's still in the box, wait an hour let's say, and then readd my old phone to my line and turn around and sell the NIB phone?

I've sold a few of my upgrades in the past and I didn't even have to activate it. Just call customer service and tell them to remove the ESN from your account so it can be activated on another account.

Robo Kitty
Sep 5, 2011

There was a POST here. It's gone now.
For a month now I've been getting dropped calls on almost every call; sometimes it fails in a few seconds, sometimes a minute or two in. I've stopped using my phone as a phone and just make calls with Skype from my laptop now. I called Sprint to complain (via Skype :rolleyes:) and they said it was probably one tower that needs upgrading and that they'd flag it for service. I pointed out that this happens no matter where I am, even when I'm definitely out of the range of that particular tower, and just got fed a line about Network Vision being done in the next six months. Is it worth calling and complaining again now that it's been another couple of weeks, or is this just the joys of Sprint? The LTE black hole where I live is annoying enough, but now I'm not even getting the most basic functions of a phone.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Robo Kitty posted:

For a month now I've been getting dropped calls on almost every call; sometimes it fails in a few seconds, sometimes a minute or two in. I've stopped using my phone as a phone and just make calls with Skype from my laptop now. I called Sprint to complain (via Skype :rolleyes:) and they said it was probably one tower that needs upgrading and that they'd flag it for service. I pointed out that this happens no matter where I am, even when I'm definitely out of the range of that particular tower, and just got fed a line about Network Vision being done in the next six months. Is it worth calling and complaining again now that it's been another couple of weeks, or is this just the joys of Sprint? The LTE black hole where I live is annoying enough, but now I'm not even getting the most basic functions of a phone.

It sounds like there's something wrong with your phone. Why don't you bring it in to a store to have it checked out.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Mahoning posted:

It sounds like there's something wrong with your phone. Why don't you bring it in to a store to have it checked out.

It also sounds like sprint. Our area here has been bad for the last 2 years. LTE went up, was way better for data, then bam texts and voice went to poo poo.

Its very slowly getting better but the woman who's still on sprint typically uses hangouts and video calls on WiFi if she really needs to talk to me. Its kinda sad.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

TVs Ian posted:

Yeah, unlimited data combined with a larger footprint than T-Mobile is basically the only draw Sprint has. It isn't faster, it's CDMA, it's not really cheaper, and Sprint just keeps sitting on their balls when it comes to NV.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Updated the OP, removed old crap, added a pretty straight forward image of how the Framily plan works. Anyone want to post an update on TEP plans and policies? Anything else you want in it let me know.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

The Entire Universe posted:

Yeah, unlimited data combined with a larger footprint than T-Mobile is basically the only draw Sprint has. It isn't faster, it's CDMA, it's not really cheaper, and Sprint just keeps sitting on their balls when it comes to NV.
T-Mobile is back on unlimited data too so larger footprint is all they have at this point.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Updated the OP, removed old crap, added a pretty straight forward image of how the Framily plan works. Anyone want to post an update on TEP plans and policies? Anything else you want in it let me know.

Can you add the Moto X, Nexus 5, and LG G2 to list of phones to consider? Also I'd suggest adding info about Swappa.com next to craigslist/eBay. Sprint phones are crazy cheap on the secondary market (ex iPhone 5c for $230). Also if you need help programming the phone remember you can ##scrtn# to reset the modems and redo HFA.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

datajosh posted:

T-Mobile is back on unlimited data too so larger footprint is all they have at this point.

Doesn't T-Mobile throttle data? Sprint doesn't....at least not yet.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe

Mahoning posted:

That's what I thought as well. That it was unlimited until a certain threshold and then you get slower speeds. Which is still technically unlimited since you won't be charged overages.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Not to mention their throttled speed is broadly comparable to Sprint's 3G. Sure, you'll find a speed test here and there saying someone gets 1.2 megs on Sprint 3G, but that's down the street from an NV upgraded tower in the middle of the night.

E: and if I recall there's a $70 plan with actual unlimited LTE data.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Mahoning posted:

They did for a little bit but not anymore, as long as you pick the unlimited option. I think they changed it back about a year ago when they started the uncarrier branding.

NerdsMcGee
Sep 23, 2006
My hands are too stained...
Just dumped 2 lines on Sprint for T-Mobile. Guess which carrier is which. (Taken from my Desk in Manhattan on both carriers with LTE enabled, on an iPhone 5S)

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

datajosh posted:

Yeah if Sprint nixes unlimited data I'll dump them for T-Mo in a heartbeat.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

e.pilot posted:

Yeah if Sprint nixes unlimited data I'll dump them for T-Mo in a heartbeat.

It's the only thing keeping me around. 1GB on that framily plan is just insulting.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Mahoning posted:

Sort of. T-Mobile has tiered data like the other carriers do now, except they also have an unlimited option. If you don't want unlimited and go with one of the tiered plans and go over, you get throttled down to roughly Sprint speeds instead of being cut off or billed extra.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
Not sure this is the best place for this but anyone have a suggestion for a good custom rom for the galaxy s4? I have my phone rooted and have TWRP just want to start trying out new roms.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

demonachizer posted:

Not sure this is the best place for this but anyone have a suggestion for a good custom rom for the galaxy s4? I have my phone rooted and have TWRP just want to start trying out new roms.

(GS3 Sprint experience not tried the GS4) CM is the default suggestion because it gets the most work/is most stable but first out the gate I'd suggest Paranoid Android personally. It lets you do really cool things like tell apps to run at a different size (making phone apps act like they are on a tablet, and vica versa). It's really neat and helps unlock the utility of that crazy screen. Keep in mind you do lose all of touchwiz which has some pretty neat things like the multi window.

There is a rooted/ROM thread where they discuss this.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Finally found a spot in my house where I can actually hold a conversation without it breaking up, lol.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

angryrobots posted:

Updated today, still drops data, still takes a year for the keyboard to load.

And now it turns on Wi-Fi every time I power cycle it. And if I set a wallpaper for the lock/idle screen, it now shows up on the tile screen under the icons, which looks retarded. I hate this phone.

Yup, I ran it for a few days to give it a fair shake but now I'm back on GPE. The official 4.4.2 Sense is just as bad - and possibly even worse - at dropping data for hilariously long intervals of time when switching between data modes (3g -> 4g, etc).

I'll have 4 solid bars of LTE and the phone will decide WELP MISSING A BAR, GOTTA SWITCH TO EVDO. Data will drop entirely for ~60-90 seconds before the little 3G icon shows back up. Give it five or ten minutes and it's like the phone "remembers" there's a strong LTE signal. Data drops again for a couple minutes, LTE comes back, and the cycle repeats.

Basically if I ever know in advance that I'm gonna *need* stable data, I have to put my phone in CDMA Only mode. :waycool:

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Leathal posted:

I'll have 4 solid bars of LTE and the phone will decide WELP MISSING A BAR, GOTTA SWITCH TO EVDO.
The bars on your phone most likely only show 1xRTT reception. They probably do not show EVDO or LTE reception levels. You have to use a program like SignalCheck to actually see the separate signal levels for all three things.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

td4guy posted:

The bars on your phone most likely only show 1xRTT reception. They probably do not show EVDO or LTE reception levels. You have to use a program like SignalCheck to actually see the separate signal levels for all three things.

That explains a lot.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Holy mother of gently caress Sprint is useless in downtown Denver.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

e.pilot posted:

Holy mother of gently caress Sprint is useless in downtown Denver.

Three words too long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Denver's hardly received any Network Vision upgrades, so it's like they're stuck in 2006 right now. I'm sure it's terrible.