Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Baxta posted:

Full spec computers used to be about 4 grand if I remember right. Pretty sure our XT cost at least 2 grand. The mega upgrade to the 486 was expensive but I can't remember how much.

Apricot Computers announces the first 486-based PC, in London, England. The VX FT system uses the 25 MHz Intel 80486 chip, IBM's MCA bus, and is priced starting at US$18,000

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Hey I heard Dark Souls on Steam runs like poo poo and isn't worth getting at any price level. What do you guys thing?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

KoRMaK posted:

Hey I heard Dark Souls on Steam runs like poo poo and isn't worth getting at any price level. What do you guys thing?

I thing you're in the wrong forum.

arnbiguous
Feb 2, 2014
Gary’s Answer

KoRMaK posted:

16 billion steam users agree you're wrong, bub

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

HardDisk posted:

Was there a time where that was considered affordable? :stare:

Yes. It's sometimes difficult to believe how expensive computing equipment used to be.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

KoRMaK posted:

Nah it runs fine.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Deteriorata posted:

Yes. It's sometimes difficult to believe how expensive computing equipment used to be.

True that. I still can't believe my parents got me a Voodoo 2 card for a christmas present! Going from QuakeWorld in software mode to OpenGL was orgasmic, coupled with my amazing (not) S3 ViRGE 4 MB graphics card. I remember being so jealous of a friend having a Voodoo 1 card that ran Rainbow Six with amazing FPS.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

bewilderment posted:

That role-playing game image is from a White Wolf book for Werewolf, Subsidiaries: A Guide to Pentex. Pentex was an evil corporation, one of which was Black Dog (also White Wolf's name for their more 'adult' line - not just dumb sexual material, but also their surprisingly well-received Charnel Houses of the Shoah for Wraith), a a parody of White Wolf themselves. That image was used to illustrate Black Dog.

Most Black Dog stuff totally did just take the mega lovely "adult" parts of White Wolf and magnify them, though.

VinzKlortho
Dec 27, 2004
Are you the Gatekeeper?

Baxta posted:

Full spec computers used to be about 4 grand if I remember right. Pretty sure our XT cost at least 2 grand. The mega upgrade to the 486 was expensive but I can't remember how much.

Sounds about right for early 90's. I remember tons of articles later in the decade about the $999 barrier and if decent home PC's would ever profitably break it.

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010
1/5 image to post ratio is pretty good in the funny pictures thread!

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Reminds me of 30 Rock

"No, its simple, when you want to photo scan, you select 'PS' and when you want to paper shred, you...uh oh."

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Eat This Glob posted:

Hail Sataytan

Hail Seitan

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Did somebody say Super Bowl?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

Leofish posted:

Did somebody say Super Bowl?

Well done sir.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Pharmaskittle posted:

Most Black Dog stuff totally did just take the mega lovely "adult" parts of White Wolf and magnify them, though.

Oh yeah. I meant that Black Dog was dumb adult stuff and the occasional tasteful treatment of mature subject matter, not that it was only the latter.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
:nws: Seahawks fans :nws:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

ubergnu
Jun 7, 2002

Failed gothic

"Mnnghhuheurhuhhh?"

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

I really need to stop looking up local clubs facebook pages but goddamn if they dont have some magical poo poo.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

Haruharuharuko posted:

I really need to stop looking up local clubs facebook pages but goddamn if they dont have some magical poo poo.

Why, why would anyone ever do this unless they were unironically trying to look like a disgusting creep/potential rapist? This is what they have people do in fiction to show that the person is an irredeemable scumbag :psyduck:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Nastyman posted:

Why, why would anyone ever do this unless they were unironically trying to look like a disgusting creep/potential rapist? This is what they have people do in fiction to show that the person is an irredeemable scumbag :psyduck:

That picture says "I'm drunk and I'm having my picture taken" to me.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Nastyman posted:

I figured it out its just a recreation of this

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

CJacobs posted:

That picture says "I'm drunk and I'm having my picture taken" to me.

This is an outrageous line of thinking, the guy is not using the pre-approved photo face and should be ridiculed for it

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Balobam posted:

This is an outrageous line of thinking, the guy is not using the pre-approved photo face and should be ridiculed for it

This begs the question: Is there a dude equivalent of Duckface?

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

This begs the question: Is there a dude equivalent of Duckface?

It's called "blue steel."

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

cobalt impurity posted:

It's called "blue steel."

Ha! Well played. Anyways, pictures.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

They should spell check their ads before running them.

OK Some Butt Stuff
Jun 9, 2002

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Welp, he's got my money.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa

Nastyman posted:

Judging by the fact that he's in a lovely tshirt and she looks like she actually made an effort I assume that guy is actively trying to ruin his girlfriend's night because he's cool and funny.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Nastyman posted:

I think he's just trying to be goofy. It's better than duck faces and whatnot.

ubergnu posted:

"Mnnghhuheurhuhhh?"

Is that a ball-boy?

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Captain Trips posted:

MULTI-USER OPERATING SYSTEMS?

Wow. Technology sure is getting crazy.

"Yes, this is an actual PC game screenshot!"

Look at the detail on those... cube-shaped hands...!

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

melon cat posted:

"Yes, this is an actual PC game screenshot!"

Look at the detail on those... cube-shaped hands...!

I hope you all realise that we're going to be as made fun of by future generations for marvelling at modern graphics.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I hope you all realise that we're going to be as made fun of by future generations for marvelling at modern graphics.

"You mean you have to use your hands? That's like a baby's toy!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMy1zO8m8sM

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Nastyman posted:

Ugh yes hope she immediately called the police. Probably traumatized for the rest of her life.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I doubt that unless someone manages to make the actual real world look more realistic, we're pretty darn close by now. A lot of other things will continue to improve, obviously.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Not really. Graphical tech has slowed down an insane amount.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

theflyingorc posted:

Not really. Graphical tech has slowed down an insane amount.

Only because developers were stuck on gaming hardware from 2005 for the past several years. Expect it to really pick up in the next year again.

• Locked thread