Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Bad Munki posted:

I don't know why some builders are so fascinated with making the fridge space as tight as humanly possible against their fridge. Leave 6" on a side. Fridges will fit easily so you can clean behind them without calling in a wrecking crew, you'll never miss that tiny amount of counter space, and having a slot to store a broom and sponge mop right there in the kitchen is super handy. :confused:
Especially if the fridge is next to a wall. Because opening your doors more than 89.5 degrees is loving awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Especially if you have one of those side-by-side affairs. Good luck getting your sweet sweet dijorno in/out of the freezer if you can't open the doors beyond 90.

ntd
Apr 17, 2001

Give me a sandwich!

spog posted:

I think you should feel a little lucky that it wasn't 35.99inc as these things often turn out to be.

Our old house has a fridge cabinet that fit our fridge okay....just can't open the door as much as you would like because of the pesky front door/wall.

And the stove opening was .5" to small for a standard range, which I think is 36". We took a tape measure to a few different stores, measured everything and bought the smallest, which was basically an exact fit. The annoying thing was that without failure, every appliance salesman came over when they saw me measuring them, told us that they were all exactly the same size and told us we were wasting our time measuring them. They only varied about an inch, but you could look at say 3 GE ranges in a row and they would vary about .75".

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

As someone who sold appliances for a couple years, I can attest to the hatred for fridge cubbies. I can't tell you how many people would find a fridge that was perfect for them, only to have to drop the sale because the hole was less than an inch too narrow for their fridge.

Also, the number of people who needed "apartment" sized fridges, stoves, and laundry units was infuriating. Apparently, standards were smaller a few decades ago, and all the constructions from back then reflect it with 20" gaps for stoves, 24" gaps for fridges, and old, old, incredibly old school styled 2-in-1 washer/dryer combo units that were a few inches narrower than newer stackable front load units.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Even something as simple as an apartment-sized microwave seems impossible to find. I have a 1920s apartment with a small stove, and the cabinet above it is just over 26" across. Good luck finding anything you can mount there. You're looking at RV poo poo that costs more than a TV :emo:

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Feb 2, 2014

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

Even something as simple as an apartment-sized microwave seems impossible to find. I have a 1920s apartment with a small stove, and the cabinet above it is just over 26" across. Good luck finding anything you can mount there. You're looking at RV poo poo that costs more than a TV :emo:

My old apartment had one of those Microwaves, took 10min to heat water for tea in it. I also had to put my plates in at an angle as they where too big.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Another thing to think about is air circulation behind and over the fridge. If your fridge-cubbie is pretty much air-tight around and above the fridge there isn't sufficient airflow and the unit has to work harder to keep cool.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

ColHannibal posted:

My old apartment had one of those Microwaves, took 10min to heat water for tea in it. I also had to put my plates in at an angle as they where too big.
It doesn't make too much sense, since there are a ton of countertop ones less than 26". How big are your plates though?!

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

It doesn't make too much sense, since there are a ton of countertop ones less than 26". How big are your plates though?!

I have standard 10in plates, I just learned to do things like popcorn on the stove as the bag would inflate was too big to turn and would burn.

I also had so little counter space.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Wanna talk about having a tiny amount of counter space? The apartment I live in is utter poo poo. It was built, along with all the other quadplex housing in the area, as temporary military housing back during... I think WWII? The housing was supposed to be knocked down after the war was over and they didn't need to house those hundreds of soldier near the base, but then I guess slumlords when and bought the properties, thinking they can make money off of them.

But I digress, as I'm only talking about the counters right now. Picture a standard kitchen sink. Now picture a dish drying rack next to it. Now add a 2nd dish dring rack on the other side. That's the extent of my counter space. Literally enough space for 2 dish drying racks on either side of the sink, with all the cabinet space that that would entail. The rest comes from a table that we've put up in the kitchen. No, it's not the dinner table. We use it for storage and for cutting and prepping food.

The rest of the apartment is in such disarray that I'[m honestly surprised it hasn't fallen down yet. Maybe in the next day or two, I'll try to take pictures for the thread.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I'm in New York so I'm afraid I win this horrible competition. I really want an over-the-range microwave because between the sink and the stove, I have 14" of lateral counter space (one dish rack). That's it. That's also directly above the one drawer I have.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

When I re-did our current slum I put in nearly 8 metres of counter top. Discounting the hob & sink there's still about 6 metres.

There's about 1.5m useable on a good day. That's not a code failure, but goddamnit I'm the only tidy person in this household.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Anne Whateley posted:

I'm in New York so I'm afraid I win this horrible competition. I really want an over-the-range microwave because between the sink and the stove, I have 14" of lateral counter space (one dish rack). That's it. That's also directly above the one drawer I have.

I forgot to mention that I'm in New York as well. I also forgot to mention that I have 2 dish racks, one on each side of the sink. :suicide:

EDIT: Unless you mean New York City, in which case, be more specific. There's a whole state named New York out there. :argh:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Cakefool posted:

but goddamnit I'm the only tidy person in this household.

Just get a bin for each person and put their name on it, and one that says "Whose is this?" At the end of the day, each bin gets dumped in the front yard.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I was over at the in-laws place for the super bowl and found out that the boyfriend of the in-law's other daughter took it upon himself to redo the front door, since it stuck at the bottom and you had to lift it a little to get the door to close properly. It's obviously unfinished but I was told in another thread that it just needs the molding put on and is otherwise just fine.

Am I just being hyper critical? You can't really see it in the pictures but on the top part you would be able to see outside if not for the outdoor portion of the molding, and the side has tape to stop the breeze from coming through. I was assuming the dude had completely rat-hosed the project but I'm really not a carpenter so if I'm wrong and it just needs caulk and a molding or something.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

There's not enough detail so see if the job was done properly or not, but I'm confused how painter's tape would be used to block a breeze......

Trim isn't there to block breezes as a primary function: that's what low-ex foam is for. Then the trim goes over that. So if the door was hung/rehung properly you're just $6 and 60 seconds away from it being ready to install trim (in a few hours when the foam cures).

Maybe he didn't have any at the time and that solution was better than the door not closing/latching properly?

Motronic fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Feb 4, 2014

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
There is nothing wrong with that door. It just isn't finished.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Yeah, just put a little bit of batt insulation or some spray foam or something in there, that looks like pretty much every door I've ever seen before trim went up.

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

I'd suggest spray foam only because a can is like $5, and batts of insulation come in bundles that are like $20+.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Just for the love of god get LOW EXPANSION FOAM for that job!

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Remulak posted:

Just for the love of god get LOW EXPANSION FOAM for that job!

This!!!! Nothing like cracking windows and popping door frames because you picked up the wrong can.

T.Worth
Aug 31, 2012

by XyloJW
Holy fuckball houseshitting collapse fires, what are your local legislative bodies doing? Ignoring all that poo poo that would get you locked up here, I have a story.

Many years ago, when I was in secondary school, I worked a summer in the Northern Territory. My parents are filthy refugees, but I got a scholarship to a really hood high school, they found me a summer job at 16. poo poo, better than dealing drugs and stealing cars.

I spent two months learning how poo poo works, I ended up being placed with the welding crew who positioned and secured large diameter piping on this proof of concept thing called a PAM (Pre Assembled Module). This PAM was state of the art, the future, the way things would work, brilliant. You build an entire three story building and ship it to site. This amalgam of various companies were tilting for a contract to expand the Alcan Gove site. 3b contract, just need to prove that we can build pams, ship them to site and drop them.

The loving thing was built 180 deg reversed east to west. They welded the thing to a barge, sent it out in a tropical storm and when it foundered the tug cut it loose and the companies claimed it on insurance. Last I saw the place was shut down, the 3b expansion topped out just over 10b.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So how many b's all together?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

T.Worth posted:

3b 10b red-b blue-b

Once more in english?

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

I think b = billion. $3 billion expansion cost just over $10 billion.

T.Worth
Aug 31, 2012

by XyloJW
Yeah basically, also, as I'm catching up I noticed a thing. Grover shouldn't be allowed to give advice to people here.

Seriously, the guy got zapped twice by electrical inspectors and hosed around to certify himself to end run it.

T.Worth fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Feb 4, 2014

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Thanks for the input guys. I guess my disdain for the dude who did the work was making me assume it was worse than it really was. Still no excuse for him leaving it in that state for two days though.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Things grover has no business talking about:
-Construction
-Military
-Politics
-Ethics

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

T.Worth posted:

Seriously, the guy got zapped twice by electrical inspectors
Literally, I like to think. Took a look at the wiring, pulled out two cables and just let him have it yelling "NO! BAD!"

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I was over at the in-laws place for the super bowl and found out that the boyfriend of the in-law's other daughter took it upon himself to redo the front door, since it stuck at the bottom and you had to lift it a little to get the door to close properly. It's obviously unfinished but I was told in another thread that it just needs the molding put on and is otherwise just fine.

Am I just being hyper critical? You can't really see it in the pictures but on the top part you would be able to see outside if not for the outdoor portion of the molding, and the side has tape to stop the breeze from coming through. I was assuming the dude had completely rat-hosed the project but I'm really not a carpenter so if I'm wrong and it just needs caulk and a molding or something.

If you are sticking with the story that it's only anchored on one side like you said in PYF, you still need to drive some long screws through the frame to the studs. Just be sure to go slow and constantly check to see if it still opens and closes clean with every screw you put in.

Countersink the heads and putty over them.

T.Worth
Aug 31, 2012

by XyloJW

My Lovely Horse posted:

Literally, I like to think. Took a look at the wiring, pulled out two cables and just let him have it yelling "NO! BAD!"

I hope too, I don't think his infant kids should grab at something and get cooked or light an understair insulation fire.

In all seriousness, all of you guys who have lovely wiring in your newly bought houses, that's the reason.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

This deserves to be shown here.

Ahh Comcast.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Because it's totally normal when drilling through a wall to see black plastic chips coming out. :downs:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Black PVC is reserved for sewage lines, right? :gonk:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Wouldn't that be above any trap to prevent sewer gasses? I don't see any signs of fluid leakage, so I'm assuming they detected the issue by way of the smell?

Details, man!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

It's not my picture. Here is the reddit (I know) thread. Found via imgur.

http://www.reddit.com/r/funny/comments/19ekq3/comcast_shittiest_install_ever/

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Probably a vent stack, since I don't see a giant streak of shitwater down the pipe below the hole, but I bet it doesn't smell too nice either way.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Anyhow, somethingsomethingsomething shitpost

T.Worth
Aug 31, 2012

by XyloJW
I liked you in the DF threads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

No time for that, the forum needs me!

I think I owe bronzestabbed an update about downs-syndrome horsies or something, though. :(