Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Please upload these SGFs to http://eidogo.com/, an endgame screenshot doesn't tell us anything!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
lol at legendary jump macaque

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

oiseaux morts 1994 posted:

Please upload these SGFs to http://eidogo.com/, an endgame screenshot doesn't tell us anything!

http://eidogo.com/#url:http://files.gokgs.com/games/2014/2/3/b5shadow-Kheldragar.sgf
Please don't laugh at my shameful play. :cripes:

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Both those kos were completely pointless; but I'm glad you seem so keen to start them because most people get scared.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Kheldragar posted:

[url]http://eidogo.com/#url:http://files.gokgs.com/games/2014/2/3/b5shadow-Kheldragar.sgf[/url]
Please don't laugh at my shameful play. :cripes:

General comments:

Don't invade prematurely.
Don't defend useless stones.
Get better at L&D.
I know that ko fights are fun, but stop looking for them everywhere. Your two biggest blunders come about by trying to get into a ko fight when your opponent has no need to fight the ko in order to completely wreck your position.

Specific comments (including critiques of White's play too, not just yours):

http://eidogo.com/#4slSE2WTs

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

xopods posted:

General comments:

Don't invade prematurely.
Don't defend useless stones.
Get better at L&D.
I know that ko fights are fun, but stop looking for them everywhere. Your two biggest blunders come about by trying to get into a ko fight when your opponent has no need to fight the ko in order to completely wreck your position.

Specific comments (including critiques of White's play too, not just yours):

http://eidogo.com/#4slSE2WTs

On turn 13 white attaches to attack black's premature invasion. What would a better point of attack have been, and why? O3? N4? L2? My guess would be N4, since it'd push black toward the edge more. I'm just unsure where to go to ensure the black group is pulverized rather than carving out a chunk of territory.

e: learned how to select other review lines, saw that you listed O5. Got it. Sacrifice some territory to create better walls around other territory?

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Pander posted:

e: learned how to select other review lines, saw that you listed O5. Got it. Sacrifice some territory to create better walls around other territory?

O5 is not the only possible way to attack, but yeah. When you build a framework, the idea is not to take the whole thing as territory, unless your opponent really refuses to invade ever. The point is to force your opponent to invade and then turn part of the framework into solid territory and/or build thickness facing other parts of the board while attacking the invading stones.

Beginners have a tendency to overestimate how close to becoming solid territory a framework is, and therefore:

(a) panic when they see the opponent getting one and dive in right away, and
(b) also panic when the opponent invades their framework, as if this is something unexpected and they have to now kill the invading stones in order to "keep" their "territory."

As far as the specific way to attack, if you just make it a general rule never to attach directly to a weak stone, that's a step in the right direction. Meanwhile, capping plays (like O5 in the variation I gave) in which you play directly above the invading stone, but with one space separating the two, are rarely the worst way to attack and fairly often the best. "The opponent's good move is your good move," and a one-space jump towards the centre of the board is often the best way to run away... so if that's the best way for the opponent to run away, playing on that point is probably also a good way to stop him from running away.

xopods fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Feb 3, 2014

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

xopods posted:

Beginners have a tendency to overestimate how close to becoming solid territory a framework is, and therefore:

(a) panic when they see the opponent getting one and dive in right away, and
(b) also panic when the opponent invades their framework, as if this is something unexpected and they have to now kill the invading stones in order to "keep" their "territory."

This is exactly why I did what I did. Also that L&D in the top was really tricky I think; usually I tend to avoid making empty triangles in all situations, and it never looked like that would be the variation to kill. I thought he could get two eyes for sure anyways.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
This was a very satisfying win for me, http://eidogo.com/#3gTd5OoFN

I'm sure lots of mistakes were made, but it felt good to defend against his invasion, then turn it around and eat up his territory so bad that he quit.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

uranus posted:

This was a very satisfying win for me, http://eidogo.com/#3gTd5OoFN

I'm sure lots of mistakes were made, but it felt good to defend against his invasion, then turn it around and eat up his territory so bad that he quit.

To be honest, white's second move is a huge :cripes: mistake in and of itself. I don't necessarily blame you for taking all of the star points at that point though; what's white going to do, take all of that centre territory?

Yes, that's exactly what he tries to do.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Kheldragar posted:

To be honest, white's second move is a huge :cripes: mistake in and of itself. I don't necessarily blame you for taking all of the star points at that point though; what's white going to do, take all of that centre territory?

Yes, that's exactly what he tries to do.

Yeah I wasnt sure if I was missing something. i thought that was a terrible strategy... guess I was right!

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

uranus posted:

Yeah I wasnt sure if I was missing something. i thought that was a terrible strategy... guess I was right!

I mean, hell, I opened up an sgf editor to find out what the score would be if black took all the centre and white got all of the third line territory. (In nice, neat boxes.) The score ends up being W 142.5 B 121. So, even if the centre isn't reduced one bit, white still has the score advantage. 56 white stones to 48 black stones. So, I mean, you know...

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009
Really happy this thread is pretty active now! Just started playing some go again after a ~1 year hiatus and I'm rediscovering why I loved it in the first place. Maybe I'll even make the push to dan now. I'm usually on as "sent" in kgs.

For any of you with iphones, would you have any recommendations of good apps or ways to study on the phone? I downloaded the goproblems app which is pretty nice, but it might also be cool to review pro games or go through some famous problem sets like cho's encyclopedia of life and death on my commute.

Old Fart
Jul 25, 2013
SmartGo Kifu is worth every penny.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Does anyone else get loads of error messages when running the KGS client? It works but is a bit annoying

e: Also how should I be before trying to play on Tygem?

distortion park fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Feb 4, 2014

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost
I don't get any errors running the KGS client, what kind are you seeing and what OS / java version are you running?

Be Tygem

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

pointsofdata posted:

e: Also how should I be before trying to play on Tygem?

You should be ready to counter Koreans playing the game. I heard you should just be safe and let their overplays come to bite them in the rear end eventually.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

the idea that you should change your play style ahead of time to fit what people say about a server is a bit silly. Take each game as it comes and respond to each opponent in the most suitable fashion, to the best of your knowledge. 9 times out of 10 you wouldn't have concentration to deliberately alter your natural game because 'lol Koreans r aggressive'

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

haha I meant how good do you need to be, but it was a faintly amusing typo. It's a bunch of Java errors on win8, I have Java 7.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

http://gogameguru.com/go-commentary-lee-sedol-vs-gu-li-jubango-game-1/

Jubango commentary for Game 1 is up, GGG is also going to publish a book of all the jubango commentaries next year!

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost
Inimitable: Gu Li vs Lee Sedol

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Kheldragar posted:

This is exactly why I did what I did. Also that L&D in the top was really tricky I think; usually I tend to avoid making empty triangles in all situations, and it never looked like that would be the variation to kill. I thought he could get two eyes for sure anyways.

There are other things you could try that don't work, but at least they don't work in a non-obvious fashion and your opponent could screw up the defense. The more important point is that that second line hane doesn't gain much except endgame profit and leads to an easy-to-read variation where your opponent lives in two moves.

Heuristically speaking, if your opponent's eyespace is less than ten points and it's all in one big clump and not a curvy or stretched out shape, there may be a way to kill and it's worth investigating rather than playing moves that settle the position. The killing move might be some kind of throw-in or placement, or a descent (as here), or a first-line hane... second-line hanes don't usually kill unless the opponent has shape defects that allow you to make an internal atari after he blocks and before you connect.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Kheldragar posted:

It's not a huge mistake. Fuseki mistakes are rarely huge mistakes. The difference between a side hoshi and a corner hoshi on a relatively empty board is at most one point. Giving up one point for no reason in a dan-level game would be a big mistake, but it barely matters for DDKs. This is why I told you not to worry about fuseki for now and work on fighting.

The empty triangle at W20, by comparison, is probably at least a 10-point error, an order of magnitude more serious.

EDIT: Also, note that if White understood his own fuseki, he would not be seeking centre territory, but rather a fighting-oriented game. You don't play stones inside an area where you want territory, you play them around the edges. If you want a central moyo, play fourth and fifth line stones. Tengen and other central moves are for fighting power, because the centre of the board is where weak groups run to when they're under attack. Power in the centre gives you a lifeline for your own weak groups and a threat to your opponents'.

C.F. Experimental openings like the Great Wall for fighting and Upper Manchurian Fuseki for a giant central moyo. Also, violent, killing-oriented SDKs and dans on KGS love the Big Cross, which I don't see on Sensei's, but which consists of opening at tengen as Black and then taking all four side hoshis while your opponent takes the four corners. Then you have whole-board connectivity and your opponent has four separated groups right off the bat, and you can just attack everything.

xopods fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Feb 5, 2014

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Xopods whens the next lesson?

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

uranus posted:

Xopods whens the next lesson?

I could do one tomorrow night. 7:30 PM as usual.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
sweeeet

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

sensual donkey punching posted:

Inimitable: Gu Li vs Lee Sedol

Incircumscriptible: Gu Li vs Lee Sedol

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

xopods posted:

I could do one tomorrow night. 7:30 PM as usual.

Does Friday seem like a better date to you?

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Kheldragar posted:

Does Friday seem like a better date to you?

Given that Friday is my wife's birthday, I'm going to go with "no."

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

xopods posted:

Given that Friday is my wife's birthday, I'm going to go with "no."

Sounds like a date to me. :v: Do you have any idea what topic you'll cover today?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

Sorry I'm taking forever in our game.

Prediction: You win by a lot.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Kheldragar posted:

Sounds like a date to me. :v: Do you have any idea what topic you'll cover today?

I want to start talking about direction of play, but it's hard to do that in the abstract, so I'm going to review my first game from the 2007 Quebec Omnium tournament, at the peak of my "career." Between me (4d at the time) and a 5d.

Although there's a certain amount of fighting, it's not too wacky. It's got good examples of directional choices, good and bad shape, attacking for profit, counting the score and making a positional judgment, a cool tesuji and counter-tesuji later on, etc. Good game with lots to learn.

Alas, I blundered for about 6 points in endgame and lost by about that much. Maybe would have won by 0.5 or 1.5 otherwise, it was that close.

Old Fart
Jul 25, 2013
7:30 what time zone?

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

EST, the only time zone that matters. :colbert:

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

I'll be rock-climbing. Shame, I'd be kinda interesting in seeing a pro-game breakdown.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

xopods posted:

EST, the only time zone that matters. :colbert:

Don't you mean GMT? :smug:

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Pander posted:

I'll be rock-climbing. Shame, I'd be kinda interesting in seeing a pro-game breakdown.

I am far from a pro. But anyway, if people like this one I have several other game records from my heyday that I could review in future weeks. (And if I run out of those, there are also also my DGS games which, due to the pace, tend to be of much higher quality than my KGS games).

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

xopods posted:

I am far from a pro.

I think 4d vs 3d sounds pro to some people. ;)

(yes I'm probably in that group)

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

silvergoose posted:

I think 4d vs 3d sounds pro to some people. ;)

(yes I'm probably in that group)

Well, the thing about Go ranks is that each stone strength has a linear effect on the expected outcome of the game - that's how ranks are designed - but especially once you get into the amateur dan ranks, the amount of knowledge, practice, discipline and raw talent needed for each rank goes up exponentially. It took me about a year of dedicated practice to get to 1d, then another 6 months to get to 2d, then a year after that to get to 3d, then over two more years to get to 4d, and after that I didn't feel I was getting stronger anymore, because I'd hit the limit of my ability to concentrate... additional knowledge wasn't helping because I was being held back by blunders more than anything else.

Getting into Go later in life, it's essentially impossible to achieve pro-level strength. All the stuff you need to know to be an amateur dan, you have to have absorbed by the time you're 10 or 12, when your mind is still malleable, so that it becomes second nature. Then maybe you can start to aspire to the sort of mastery these guys have.

So yeah, on the one hand I am (or was, at my peak) only about 6 stones behind the top players in the world, whereas I could easily give 9 stones to someone who could give 9 stones to someone who could give 9 stones to a beginner. On the other hand, you're comparing a guy who did this as a hobby for five or six years to people who showed exceptional talent from an incredibly young age (most start at, like, 4-6) and then dedicated their entire lives to the game on a full time basis. It's the difference between your friend who can play All Along the Watchtower pretty well on his acoustic and Jimmy loving Hendrix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

And then comparing to me, who can play a few chords, comparing to someone who has never touched a string instrument. Makes sense.