Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Gorelab posted:

Croatia being dejure Byzantine really pretty much sets it up to being destroyed every time by the Byzantines, which I think, really isn't fun. Also, I kinda think the BE should have something to make it more unstable, maybe strong enough Douxs get a claim to the throne so that there are fairly common civil wars.

The Byzantines usually just start out strong but tend to collapse by the end of the game, especially once the Caliphate consolidates and puts pressure on them in Anatolia; that kills the Emperor's levies and retinue, so plot power immediately goes up and all the Independence/Overthrow Ruler/etc. factions are more likely to trigger. Maybe you don't give them southern Italy/Sicily as de jure, except historically those areas were settled by Greeks before the Romans moved in. Personally I'd like to see all of Italy as a de jure Roman Empire rather than split between HRE/Byzantines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

monster on a stick posted:

The Byzantines usually just start out strong but tend to collapse by the end of the game, especially once the Caliphate consolidates and puts pressure on them in Anatolia; that kills the Emperor's levies and retinue, so plot power immediately goes up and all the Independence/Overthrow Ruler/etc. factions are more likely to trigger. Maybe you don't give them southern Italy/Sicily as de jure, except historically those areas were settled by Greeks before the Romans moved in. Personally I'd like to see all of Italy as a de jure Roman Empire rather than split between HRE/Byzantines.

Italy has not been de jure part of the HRE for several expansions.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

How is Zoroastrianism for events and fun times? I was thinking of having a go at reuniting Persia.

Not very fleshed out, but there's a mod that adds more flavor.

rvm
May 6, 2013

Reveilled posted:

The Kingdom of Semien was a Jewish kingdom in northwestern ethiopia that lasted centuries after the fall of the Khazars. They are in some mods, but they really ought to be on the vanilla map.

They will be in vanilla with the next patch.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

rvm posted:

They will be in vanilla with the next patch.

Source?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
That's a good point about events etc. I may scrap this ironman and try something else. I've not really done much outside of the basic Christianity games, what's one of the more 'fun' religions/governments/whatever with regards to crazy events and stuff?

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em

Step up your game son

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

grancheater posted:

Step up your game son

I never knew we had them! All three are great, now I only need to remember them.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Torrannor posted:

I never knew we had them! All three are great, now I only need to remember them.

We don't "have them", they're just gifs.

rvm
May 6, 2013

http://www.strategyinformer.com/editorials/27102/paradox-convention-2014-round-up posted:

The icing on the cake though is definitely the addition of a historically accurate Jewish Kingdom in East Africa – you can’t really top that.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Wow! Look at all those provinces! India is huge! I take back every single doubt I had about the size of India, this is gonna be great!

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

DrSunshine posted:

Wow! Look at all those provinces! India is huge! I take back every single doubt I had about the size of India, this is gonna be great!

http://www.pcgamesn.com/crusader-kings-ii-rajas-india-preview-eastward-bound

Johan said 300 new provinces, the lead designer corrected him and said almost 400, it increases the map by 50%.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I'm pretty worried about performance after this next expansion, that's a shitload more stuff for the game to keep track of.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I'm pretty worried about performance after this next expansion, that's a shitload more stuff for the game to keep track of.

I downloaded the FlatMap mod, and no longer have performance issues at all until the very late game (1400 onward). Maybe give it a try?

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

How is Zoroastrianism for events and fun times? I was thinking of having a go at reuniting Persia.

Do it if you really really like mongols, because you will get to meet all of them.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Take a look at Sorites incredible Zoro LP

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

I love playing Zoroastrians so much that I have a hard time going back to anyone else. It's all the best part of playing Muslims and Pagans combined -- no decadence, no "you must conquer half of Europe to use a non-poo poo succession law" and a challenging but not impossible historical start.

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Not very fleshed out, but there's a mod that adds more flavor.

Got a link?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Oh I'm not having any significant problems right now, but 50% more is a LOT more and I wouldn't be surprised if I did start having issues. And also importantly, it means save files are 50% long and take longer to save, which would make Ironman even more annoying than it already is (or did they add the ability to disable monthly saves yet?).

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Feb 3, 2014

rvm
May 6, 2013

grate deceiver posted:

Do it if you really really like mongols, because you will get to meet all of them.

Yeah, gotta love fighting attrition-free stacks in the desert.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

And also importantly, it means save files are 50% long and take longer to save, which would make Ironman even more annoying than it already is (or did they add the ability to disable monthly saves yet?).

I don't know what you guys are talking about, Ironman just uses the same annual autosaves for me.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

They said they'd made optimization improvements and you wouldn't noticed a decrease in speed "unless you played on max speed all the time."

What other way is there to play?

:negative:

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Fintilgin posted:

They said they'd made optimization improvements and you wouldn't noticed a decrease in speed "unless you played on max speed all the time."

What other way is there to play?

:negative:

I usually play on #4, but I definitely put it into #5 often. Maybe this will finally be the perfect excuse to upgrade my computer that I built in early 2011.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?622444-MOD-Mazdayasna-Zarathushtrish-Zoroastrianism-expanded

No idea how good it is, never used it myself.

e: Looks like the standalone version isn't updated anymore. Gotta use CK2+ or VIET, sadly.

NihilVerumNisiMors fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Feb 3, 2014

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011
I'm really looking forwards to Rajahs of India based on all the previews. I wonder if anyone's going to try to do a Jain world conquest?

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Oh I'm not having any significant problems right now, but 50% more is a LOT more and I would be surprised if I did start having issues. And also importantly, it means save files are 50% long and take longer to save, which would make Ironman even more annoying than it already is (or did they add the ability to disable monthly saves yet?).

It already takes the better part of 4 minutes to load up the main menu for me, and I'd like to think my system is still mid-to-high-end. And yeah, the monthly saves are terrible, especially if you own a few hundred holdings.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?622444-MOD-Mazdayasna-Zarathushtrish-Zoroastrianism-expanded

No idea how good it is, never used it myself.

e: Looks like the standalone version isn't updated anymore. Gotta use CK2+ or VIET, sadly.

Oh, that's too bad. I guess I might try VIET once I finish my vanilla game.

rvm
May 6, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Oh, that's too bad. I guess I might try VIET once I finish my vanilla game.

Current version of CK+ is pretty nice actually. Their faction and retinue systems are awesome, for one.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
My god. Sorite's Zoros LP just destroyed my desire to play Zoroastrians...because of how satisfying it was. I can't even bother to try to compare to Vandad the Great :911:

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

rvm posted:

Current version of CK+ is pretty nice actually. Their faction and retinue systems are awesome, for one.

Yeah they fixed most of the more egregious map issues and are rumoured to be planning to go back to the vanilla one come the new expansion.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

My god. Sorite's Zoros LP just destroyed my desire to play Zoroastrians...because of how satisfying it was. I can't even bother to try to compare to Vandad the Great :911:

Well, you could play a Vandad-style game anywhere your heart fancies - all you need is a decent start and a different religion than your neighbours.

Muslim duke of Brittany? Insha'Allah!
Zoroastrian Scandinavia? Sure!
Jewish duke of Badajoz? probably not a good idea, but try your luck!

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
I wonder how the minimap will be changed to fit a much wider map. Horizontally squished into the pane, the pane expanded, or something else?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

lenoon posted:

As a Viking I can 'reform the faith' and raid Egypt with no problems. As a catholic I can become a lollard king and unseat the papacy. If I wanted to have historical realism in my 'I am the welsh orthodox ruler of Byzantium and restorer of the Roman Empire' game I'd have it. But I would like a fun and interesting game. More events! More ridiculousness! Feasts and blots give humorous and useful events and hunts give you traits, Passover gives you the same 100 prestige and 100 piety every year. Useful, yes. Fun, no.
Honestly though, does anybody get that much? As a Catholic I can go on pilgrimage once in my lifetime, and then that's pretty much it. At least Passover is yearly.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

grate deceiver posted:

If I'm reading the thing on the wiki right, it's 50 for crown authority factions, 75 for succession and 80 for independence.

Where is this thing? And why is succession higher than authority when authority is more reasonable and sensible?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Baron Porkface posted:

Where is this thing? And why is succession higher than authority when authority is more reasonable and sensible?

As far as I can tell, the whole point is that the more dangerous the faction is, the harder it is to bribe them out of it.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Who's a good count to play as in the 867 start if I want to be a slimy, conniving stabby motherfucker in a giant realm? I'm feeling nasty and I just want to watch a realm burn. :getin:

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

Who's a good count to play as in the 867 start if I want to be a slimy, conniving stabby motherfucker in a giant realm? I'm feeling nasty and I just want to watch a realm burn. :getin:

Pick a Karling. You can stab your way to becoming the emperor of Francia, Italia, and the HRE without ever raising a levy.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

fool_of_sound posted:

Pick a Karling. You can stab your way to becoming the emperor of Francia, Italia, and the HRE without ever raising a levy.

I did this as the King of Bavaria once. Easy peasy! I wonder if it's possible starting as one of those minor one province counts, though?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

grate deceiver posted:

If I'm reading the thing on the wiki right, it's 50 for crown authority factions, 75 for succession and 80 for independence.

More or less yeah.

Seniority Succession - 50/75
Primogeniture Succession - 50/75
Gavelkind Succession - 50/75
Feudal Elective Succession - 50/75
Lower Crown Authority - 25/50
Independence - 60/80
Support Claimant - 50/75
Antiking - 25/50

First number is the value they have to be below to join/start in the first place. Second number is the value they must be above to leave if they are already a part of it.

I dunno exactly when they will decide to leave or not, if it checks as soon as their opinion changes, or it works on a timer or what. Also keep in mind that anyone who was coerced into joining will never leave no matter how high their opinion gets.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Haha. Wow. That was fun. Playing as Count Angilbotto of Venaissin, in the space of just three generations, I plotted and schemed and united the Karlings, and they eventually formed the HRE by themselves, all without ever raising my levies (except to declare independence from my duke in order to become the king's spymaster). I never expanded beyond my single county!

From my single province and with judicious bribery and training my children to be masters of intrigue, a tiny insignificant family south of the Alps ended up becoming kingmakers.

Empire-makers. :stonk:

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Feb 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Does CK2 have any user interface mods? Besides character portraits, I mean. I'd love to have more options to search for people/titles and easier ways to cross-reference information.

• Locked thread